Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New PATH cars alrady rusting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:

My point is that an important bit of hardware, like a commuter train should be made of materials that CAN NOT rust

The newest PATH cars have stainless steel bodies. Stainless has a certain amount of free iron that over time will convert to iron oxide. It doesn't mean the cars are "rusting away". Generally the iron oxide can be polished off.

Aircraft don't show rust because traditionally, they are built out of aluminum. They aircraft bodies do corrode, but not visibly like you get with iron oxide. Below one of the more infamous accidents that was the result of corrosion:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I never thought it was a great decision to spend all that money on new trains. Why not take that money and expedite the signal system to allow for more frequent service.

Some of those cars were over 40 years old. They were at the end of their useful life. Plus the new cars have controls that are supposed to integrate with the new signal system.

I don't know the details for the PATH, but the MTA is implementing a system where the engineer rides around as backup. The trains are run by computer.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I never thought it was a great decision to spend all that money on new trains. Why not take that money and expedite the signal system to allow for more frequent service.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
7 years isn't a short amount of time for rust to start developing on something that lives outdoors and is powered by high voltage.

Cars always have to get fixed/repainted.

My point is that an important bit of hardware, like a commuter train should be made of materials that CAN NOT rust. Like for instance EVERY aircraft that you see. Materials should be selected on the basis of their durability, to assure the longest possible lifespan of the equipment with the lowest possible maintenance cost. I am very surprised to see the rust appear so soon on a surface that- in my opinion- should be that part of the train cars that lasts the longest. It makes me wonder what OTHER parts of the train are rapidly aging due to a poor choice of materials.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
7 years isn't a short amount of time for rust to start developing on something that lives outdoors and is powered by high voltage.

Cars always have to get fixed/repainted.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 12:56

New PATH cars alrady rusting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
They started fazing in the new cars in 2009 I think and lately I have been noticing rust on the sides of the once shiny new PATH cars. I remember seeing dime sized dots of corrosion on the sides of some of the cars a while back but at the time I think I must have thought it was spattered with dirt, not actual corrosion. Two days ago I was walking on the JFK Blvd overpass on the West side of the street opposite the Journal Square station on that stretch of sidewalk where you can look down into the rail yard and it struck me that ALL the PATH cars I could see were brown with rust on top. I would have assumed that the unpainted bright metal exterior of the cars was stainless steel or aluminum and that the metal, whatever it was, had been chosen for its longevity and RESISTANCE to corrosion. But it looks to me like all the new cars are blooming with rust now, its not isolated to just a few cars, and its getting worse. Did the Port Authority buy cars they knew were going to rust right away? Or were they cheated by the contractor who chose a cheep alloy or coated steel with a too thin coating? What does this say about the service life of these cars?

Posted on: 2016/4/15 10:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017