Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What’s the Latest Course in Preschool? Vegan Food
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
While I do agree that a vegetarian diet can be good for some adults, this article bothered me for two reasons:
- the vegan diet was implemended because TWO kids were following that diet at home and the director decided to force all other kids to follow the same diet so the kids wouldn't feel excluded. While reasonable accommodations of others is an admirable thing, I don't agree that an entire group should have to accommodate the CHOICE of a very small minority.
- the statement that data is scarce on impact of a vegan diet on kids is misleading, at best. It has been shown in many, many studies that developing brains need fats to develop appropriately, something often missing from vegan diets, plus they also tend to lack certain minerals (which was mentioned in their article) and those are serious concerns and challenges for the diet of growing kids.

I just wanted to nitpick over your line that vegan diets do not contain fats. That?s beyond absurd. Considering the use of salad as a common meal lands oil as a constant condiment which is the healthy type of fat we all need. This is better than the egg or dairy based fat that is not as healthy for us. Additionally, vegan diets contain a lot of nuts which are high in the type of fat that the human body needs as well. Overall, vegan diets contain more positive fat than non-vegan diets which use cheese, milk, eggs, etc, as fats.

I don?t subscribe to a vegan diet and I can?t see myself ever going in that direction. I just wanted to correct this very odd misconception that you seem to have.

Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
We're vegetarians and our child attended - but the vegan thing kinda had us shaking our heads - there's a big difference between regular veg-heads and vegans.
Any, mostly a positive experience, however kiddo at -O- prepared food there and arrived home cranky and h-angry (!) every single day. At the age of two she wasn't eating hot soup, roasted veggies and such. We repeatedly asked if we could pack our own food - a request that was denied.
She was given a bowl of Cherrio-style oats to eat at lunch time, as were all of the other kids who refused to eat the fare served there.

I think this is the bigger concern? Cranky kids just can?t be pleasant to deal with.

It's a valid quibble based on my poor choice of words. Of course vegan diets contain fats. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But, the fat content of vegan diets tends to be much lower than that of a more traditional diet, which is what I was trying to say.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
While I do agree that a vegetarian diet can be good for some adults, this article bothered me for two reasons:
- the vegan diet was implemended because TWO kids were following that diet at home and the director decided to force all other kids to follow the same diet so the kids wouldn't feel excluded. While reasonable accommodations of others is an admirable thing, I don't agree that an entire group should have to accommodate the CHOICE of a very small minority.
- the statement that data is scarce on impact of a vegan diet on kids is misleading, at best. It has been shown in many, many studies that developing brains need fats to develop appropriately, something often missing from vegan diets, plus they also tend to lack certain minerals (which was mentioned in their article) and those are serious concerns and challenges for the diet of growing kids.

I just wanted to nitpick over your line that vegan diets do not contain fats. That?s beyond absurd. Considering the use of salad as a common meal lands oil as a constant condiment which is the healthy type of fat we all need. This is better than the egg or dairy based fat that is not as healthy for us. Additionally, vegan diets contain a lot of nuts which are high in the type of fat that the human body needs as well. Overall, vegan diets contain more positive fat than non-vegan diets which use cheese, milk, eggs, etc, as fats.

I don?t subscribe to a vegan diet and I can?t see myself ever going in that direction. I just wanted to correct this very odd misconception that you seem to have.

Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
We're vegetarians and our child attended - but the vegan thing kinda had us shaking our heads - there's a big difference between regular veg-heads and vegans.
Any, mostly a positive experience, however kiddo at -O- prepared food there and arrived home cranky and h-angry (!) every single day. At the age of two she wasn't eating hot soup, roasted veggies and such. We repeatedly asked if we could pack our own food - a request that was denied.
She was given a bowl of Cherrio-style oats to eat at lunch time, as were all of the other kids who refused to eat the fare served there.

I think this is the bigger concern? Cranky kids just can?t be pleasant to deal with.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 14:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/11 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Why aren't the parents simply sending lunch with the kids?

Posted on: 2016/4/10 20:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone is suffering here.

But my guess is the main reason the director chose to go vegan is $$$. Organic cashew milk and vegetables, though pricey, must be way cheaper than organic meats, eggs and dairy products that the parents at this school no doubt would require.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Very cool news. These kids are kids are going to be healthier and not afraid to try new flavors.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
So the story is that children are forced to eat one plant based meal a day at school? How has no one alerted the authorities?!

Posted on: 2016/4/9 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/9 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hey - 90 little kids running around in bare feet and the food preps don't wear gloves and head coverings! And raw milk for all! What could possibly ever go wrong?

Posted on: 2016/4/9 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/9 14:41

What’s the Latest Course in Preschool? Vegan Food
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

What’s the Latest Course in Preschool? Vegan Food

In Jersey City, a preschool serves up tofu, squash risotto; ‘cool factor’

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL - By LESLIE BRODY

April 6, 2016 1:47 p.m. ET

JERSEY CITY, N.J.—At the Scandinavian School of Jersey City, the children don’t have cupcakes at birthday parties, but there is plenty of fruit salad. Instead of meat, eggs and dairy for the 1- to 6-year-olds, there is kale from the preschool’s garden and cashew milk made from scratch.

This sought-after school in an increasingly hip city is unusually committed to the goal of getting children to eat their vegetables. The Scandi School, as it is called, is one of the few vegan preschools in the country.

Read more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/latest-tw ... ool-vegan-menu-1459964836

Posted on: 2016/4/9 6:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017