Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Best countertop material for re-sale value?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I can tell you very specifically that the resin in silestone will bubble/crack under repeated heat stress.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
The resin in quartz(silestone, caesarstone etc)products is typically epoxy resin and is typically not affected by heat.

That's a way overbroad statement. Epoxy is a thermoset resin. Unlike acrylic which is thermoforming and can be remolded with heat, thermosets (including epoxy & polyester often used in fiberglass) are mixed with catalyst and harden. But that doesn't mean they can't burn or scorch. All the literature on these products say to avoid intense or extended heat. Probably a pot of boiling water is OK, but a hot frying pan would scorch it. It's just pebbles in plastic, despite what the mfr's try and say.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Your best options for resale are, as mentioned, quartz or granite. The differences between the two are generally negligible and come down to visual preference. Quartz is actually made up of 7 percent resin, so repeated exposure to heat in the same spot WILL discolor and damage it. Once or twice? No problem. Repeated = cracks and bubbles.

This is only true if the resin is acylic based(corian for example) The resin in quartz(silestone, caesarstone etc)products is typically epoxy resin and is typically not affected by heat.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. I did get Silestone from Home Depot in 2010 for my old place. They threw in the kitchen sink and faucet. If you buy more stuff from them like cabinets, you can negotiate the price. I don't remember the cost.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Tell us about the shower upgrade. Is it ADA compliant? I'm going to need one soon. Stiff knee.

No - it's the right depth and width, but it's a standard pan, so the threshold exceeds the ADA maximum for wheelchair access. I also didn't include blocking for the other grab-bars and fold-down seat needed to make it fully compliant. The bathroom is too small to be made accessible anyhow.

This just makes it easier for my mom to use when she visits, and for me to age in place - to a point, the building isn't wheelchair accessible, so should I ever need one I'll need to move.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Tell us about the shower upgrade. Is it ADA compliant? I'm going to need one soon. Stiff knee.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the super helpful input and suggestions! I'm keeping it classic and simple (granite or quartz), and am off tomorrow to meet with the supplier/installer. I may not move anytime soon (in fact am also having a tub to shower upgrade - with a grab-bar LOL) so ROI aside, am looking forward to getting something above average so I feel good about getting something I'll enjoy living with.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

KOCTEP wrote:
I did quartz (Silestone) 14 sq.ft with a nice bevel = $2700 installed from HomeDepot.

Seriously? $192/ square foot? Sheesh-

yea i'm curious about that myself. the most expensive quartz they have is just shy of $100/sq ft. with installation. a beveled edge is what.... $15? let's say 20 a linear foot. that shouldn't be more than $1560.

maybe they typo'd a 1 with a 2?

Posted on: 2016/4/8 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KOCTEP wrote:
I did quartz (Silestone) 14 sq.ft with a nice bevel = $2700 installed from HomeDepot.

Seriously? $192/ square foot? Sheesh-

Posted on: 2016/4/7 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to mention (in case you don't already know this) that granite, as well as other "rock" countertops, contain some level of radiation. It's worth doing a little research to see if there are ways of distinguishing if certain pieces have more/less. I would hate to hear that you got the kitchen of your dreams and it made you sick (e.g. the wood floors from China that was sold at Lumber Liquidators)!!

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Your best options for resale are, as mentioned, quartz or granite. ...

The best option for resale is to get something decent with minimal expenditure. The OP is likely trying to justify going overboard by believing that it is a good investment. Expensive countertops are not a good investment. The new buyer will likely tear it all out and start over or intend to do that when they make the purchase. A good ROI is a paint job, and better yet, fresh baked bread smell!

Posted on: 2016/4/7 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Your best options for resale are, as mentioned, quartz or granite. The differences between the two are generally negligible and come down to visual preference. Quartz is actually made up of 7 percent resin, so repeated exposure to heat in the same spot WILL discolor and damage it. Once or twice? No problem. Repeated = cracks and bubbles.

For personal use, get what you like. Some of the super compact materials come with things like a 25 year warranty and are basically indestructible. But you may not like the look of them. They often have a satin finish, instead of gloss. Again, personal preference.

You can get something fashionable, like... retro avocado appliances, or go with some counter that more people will like - white, black, beige, gray etc. Granite and quartz are both fairly cheap. Home depot has stuff at like $50/sq foot installed

Posted on: 2016/4/7 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Christine wrote:
I have granite at home, but I once used some kind of laminate (wilsonart, perhaps) and realtors kept complimenting the "granite" countertops to buyers they brought by.
There are so many affordable options that truly mimic the higher-end materials that I think it's worth looking into them first. This way, you won't feel tied to something in case you get tired of it OR it becomes dated.

Just a thought.

Don't overlook laminite / Formica. It's come a long way in terms of design and is very durable. Best of all it's inexpensive.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
brewster or anyone, i need some advise on a full kitchen renovation.

This time it's for my own kitchen not investment property, so i want go a bit high end. I plan to order cabinets from cabinets.com and countertop from a TBD source myself.

But i am not sure how that will go with contractors, do I just tell them to go pickup the countertop from the store i ordered from? and the cabinets will be shipped to my house.

What is the normal accepted process with contractors, can i buy my own kitchen cabinet and countertops? I am just lost in the logistic details on how to properly size/order the cabinets/countertops and how the contractor will get them.

In the past, i just get an all-in quote from the conractor and off they go and does everything.

Your contractor will draw the layout you agree on - WITH HIS DIMENSIONS.

Any cabinetry or counter tops should be ordered (or priced) from those measurements.

For stone counters the bases will need to be in place (the ground cabinets) and they (the counter ppl) will come and make a second EXACT measure - you hand them the EXACT sink to use so that cutout is exact and *they will ask to install the counters as they are liable for moving it and preventing any chips - most general contractors don't want to deal with that shit and a chipped countertop or ill fitting counter top is a liability.

Good carpentry is much harder than it looks.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/7 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

This time it's for my own kitchen not investment property, so i want go a bit high end. I plan to order cabinets from cabinets.com and countertop from a TBD source myself.

But i am not sure how that will go with contractors, do I just tell them to go pickup the countertop from the store i ordered from? and the cabinets will be shipped to my house.

What is the normal accepted process with contractors, can i buy my own kitchen cabinet and countertops? I am just lost in the logistic details on how to properly size/order the cabinets/countertops and how the contractor will get them.

In the past, i just get an all-in quote from the conractor and off they go and does everything.

You can buy whatever and get it delivered or ask your contractor to pick it up. Usually the stone guys do their own installation, it's where they make their money. I don't know about Cabinets.com, but my last build was using JC based Fabuwood chinese import cabs. I was very impressed with the quality. No particleboard, all plywood carcasses, all soft close doors and drawer.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/7 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
Remember avocado appliances?

Ha! actually retro kitchens are trending right now.

I nearly lost my lunch reading a copy of Old House Journal where somebody spent like $40k to buy and restore an ancient enameled gas stove. I studied industrial design and love Midcentury, but find that kind of fetishizing repellent.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Remember avocado appliances?

Ha! actually retro kitchens are trending right now.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/4/7 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I design a lot of high rises and quartz is what people really like. It's also very durable. If you get a white pay the extra for caesarstone. The cheap crap from China stains terribly.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bill wrote:
As traditional granite is becoming more dated like exotic wood floors I would say quartz is better for a more immediate resale.

Personally I have no confidence in it being a timeless look, but you're probably right "for immediate resale". Forecasting what's a "timeless" kitchen ain't easy, but to me it's shaker/craftsman cabs with black granite and black or stainless appliances. Some of these supermodern kitchen cabinets will age BADLY. Remember avocado appliances?

Posted on: 2016/4/6 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I want to make sure it's a material that most people looking at the place to buy would like.

Suggestions?

Most people will want to put their own tastes in countertops in so your return on investment is negligible, unless you're gutting out all that goes with it i.e. new cabinets,dishwasher and sink - easy few grand at that point.

Sounds like your counters are so small check this place out for great prices and installation :

New York Stone ?
Stone Supplier
Address: 31 Howell St, Jersey City, NJ 07306
(off 1&9 - best to go to the base of Broadway and it's right there off 1&9)

They service higher end revamps in NYC so their remnants @ this factory are often sweet and they like selling them local.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
As traditional granite is becoming more dated like exotic wood floors I would say quartz is better for a more immediate resale.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I have granite at home, but I once used some kind of laminate (wilsonart, perhaps) and realtors kept complimenting the "granite" countertops to buyers they brought by.
There are so many affordable options that truly mimic the higher-end materials that I think it's worth looking into them first. This way, you won't feel tied to something in case you get tired of it OR it becomes dated.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
IMO granite is late and tired. I prefer quartz in a neutral color. Good Luck!

Fashions bleeding edge has moved on, but granite is still very attractive, durable, and now pretty affordable. Corian was once the fashion darling, and it is a terrible fragile surface, as is laminate and cement. The cement thing I never understood. "staining and cracks is part of it's charm"!!

I can't remember the last time I sealed our granite, it's had many oil spill and no obvious stains. Dark is better. The stupidest counter material is marble. no matter how much you seal it, it soaks up stains, and it's fragile to boot.

"granite can withstand high temperatures, such as the heat from a boiling pot of water or a piping hot casserole dish from the oven, while quartz is less resistant to heat and would be damaged by something that hot."

http://www.ehow.com/info_12154491_can ... s-withstand-hot-pots.html

Posted on: 2016/4/6 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I renovated my kitchen last year and used quartz, I'm very pleased with the results plus it doesn't need to be sealed like granite. Consumer Reports recommended it over granite.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Granite is incredibly cheap now. I had about 10 ft of counter installed for just over $1k

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I prefer quartz. I was disappointed that my new place has black granite. You can see the water stains. The previous owner never sealed it.

"Granite countertops need to be sealed. You need to seal them when they?re installed and every year afterwards. Why? Because granite is a porous material, which means it can harbor bacteria, germs, mold, and other unhealthy things in its nooks and crannies. Sealing takes care of this issue. "

http://www.towersurfaces.com/quartz-v ... ich-one-comes-out-on-top/

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
For resale...? Nothing. Kitchen and bathroom modifications will not increase sale price or value. Invest the money elsewhere.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
IMO granite is late and tired. I prefer quartz in a neutral color. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017