Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Downtown Roads...why so bad?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Leave the embankments as they are. The wild, unkempt and somewhat mysterious natural thing is so much more interesting.
The city needs to open Enos Jones Park up to the public once the lead issue is resolved. Right now it belongs to a select few who control who can use the fields and when. As far as roads are concerned, they will be in a perpetual state of disarray as more water-mains deteriorate and new, crappy and overstuffed buildings are erected. The harder it is for traffic to pass through downtown the better it is for the residents safety. Right now the DTJC area is in a transformation wherein, like Hoboken, it's becoming more and more evident that pedestrian traffic must take precedent over somebody's commute. The battle between pedestrians and the number of drivers breaking the law is truly frightening to watch. Slowly though I see more and more cars yielding at crosswalks but there are still many maniacs who will ignore, speed and try to scoot around the yielding cars. JCPD has to step up and start cracking some heads.

Wow. You are still blaming GWB with that avatar Vigilante?

Posted on: 2016/12/8 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This could apply anywhere in J.C. it is a bit abrupt but for potholes it may be quicker than Click-Fix I suppose.
http://www.trueactivist.com/anonymous ... re-fixed-within-48-hours/

Posted on: 2016/12/8 0:07
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Guys, stay on topic. This post is about the state of JC roads, not the embankment.

This got awkwardly merged with another thread.

I'll never understand why threads need to be merged. Is clutter really that big a deal?

Let it ride, Mr. Moderator. Let it ride.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
#makemypark

Posted on: 2016/4/7 16:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 3:31
Group:
Registered Users
Guys, stay on topic. This post is about the state of JC roads, not the embankment.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Leave the embankments as they are. The wild, unkempt and somewhat mysterious natural thing is so much more interesting.
The city needs to open Enos Jones Park up to the public once the lead issue is resolved. Right now it belongs to a select few who control who can use the fields and when. As far as roads are concerned, they will be in a perpetual state of disarray as more water-mains deteriorate and new, crappy and overstuffed buildings are erected. The harder it is for traffic to pass through downtown the better it is for the residents safety. Right now the DTJC area is in a transformation wherein, like Hoboken, it's becoming more and more evident that pedestrian traffic must take precedent over somebody's commute. The battle between pedestrians and the number of drivers breaking the law is truly frightening to watch. Slowly though I see more and more cars yielding at crosswalks but there are still many maniacs who will ignore, speed and try to scoot around the yielding cars. JCPD has to step up and start cracking some heads.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Maybe everyone can upload an image of the worst streets they come across on their commute or while walking the neighborhood. Then we'll send them to city hall.
!

This is what the JC RRC app is for. Take pictures and use the app to send them to the city.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 13:51
I eat fu*king hipsters and sh*t out fixie bikes.
-J.Parow

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Sculpting the Embankment into a park would be the smartest thing JC could do...

In case you missed it, the city has been trying to do that for years, and it's snarled in litigation.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
That looks so much better than what they've done over there.

New York's Highline Park has been the talk of the town for years now.

We literally have the makings for the same thing at least three times over just in Downtown alone.
Sculpting the Embankment into a park would be the smartest thing JC could do and would actually put it on track to be an actual real live national scale city instead of a bedroom community that used to have artists, but now has hastily built shitboxes that start falling apart the day of the grand opening.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: I kinda liked the overgrown, unkempt wasteland.
IMGP5972rd Signal Tower Dickinson

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
all the potholes on the roads make the bike lanes extremely unsafe as cars constantly zig/zag to avoid the meteor sized potholes in front of them.

candice got some ordinance passed that basically said if a utility digs up roads to repair/install something then they need to do a curb to curb re-paving (instead of the band aid variety fix). I'm not sure that this is being enforced effectively given the state of our roads...

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe everyone can upload an image of the worst streets they come across on their commute or while walking the neighborhood. Then we'll send them to city hall.

Seriously, those of you who have cars...how are they holding up going over no around these major potholes? I wanna send my new shocks bill to city hall as well!

Posted on: 2016/4/7 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clancey wrote:

I definitely don't think we needed anymore buildings. A park would have been ideal on the 10th street embankment but I guess it's better than it just being an overgrown, unkempt wasteland.

I kinda liked the overgrown, unkempt wasteland.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 7:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Does everything being built these days have to be built with the absolute 100% cheapest crap available?
Can't we get at least a whiff of style on some of these giant projects? This is some Eastern Block stuff happening up on 10th St.

You can only have two of these qualities in residential construction:

High Rise
Affordable
Stylish

My vote is for the Affordable and Stylish, definitely not High Rise. Ugly damn building overlooking the entrance traffic to the Holland Tunnel. Just what I never wanted...

Posted on: 2016/3/31 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Does everything being built these days have to be built with the absolute 100% cheapest crap available?
Can't we get at least a whiff of style on some of these giant projects? This is some Eastern Block stuff happening up on 10th St.

You can only have two of these qualities in residential construction:

High Rise
Affordable
Stylish

Posted on: 2016/3/31 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
Just be lucky you don't live directly across the street from this monstrosity like I do

Quote:
EasyGibson wrote:

Those horrendous looking shit towers they're building are disgusting unnatural eyesores.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Downtown needs more open space to soak up the rain water. There is too much concrete which creates flooding problems.

More open space generally equals less space for parking. Unless we can park on the new open spaces. Then we could all have the parking we deserve.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 20:23
I eat fu*king hipsters and sh*t out fixie bikes.
-J.Parow

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown needs more open space to soak up the rain water. There is too much concrete which creates flooding problems.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
No it's not.

Overgrown and unkempt is natural.

Those horrendous looking shit towers they're building are disgusting unnatural eyesores.

I agree. What's wrong with having some green space that is wild and inaccessible? Actually it was accessible for some and adds an element that most "cities" don't have anymore. Those old stone walls are amazing and a reminder of our past. The whole "new, new, new" philosophy is why the beautiful old Penn Station is now a jetty on the Jersey shore.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
No it's not.

Overgrown and unkempt is natural.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 18:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
As far as potholes? Anything that slows drivers down is okay by me.

I agree with slowing down drivers with speeds bumps or the police actually ticketing motorists blowing through stop signs, but we pay some of the highest taxes in the country and should have roads that don't look 3rd world.

A lot of the road destruction is caused by the constant repairs and updates needed to the sewer and gas lines. If people want high-rises then they have to consider that all that new, additional poop has to go somewhere so sewer lines must be expanded. Also the gas lines need to be extended to reach the new buildings like the ones going up on the 10th Street embankment. (I still can't believe they allowed development on those beautiful old embankments.) The next big Sandy-like storm should bring DTJC a flood of raw sewage what with all the new residents.

I definitely don't think we needed anymore buildings. A park would have been ideal on the 10th street embankment but I guess it's better than it just being an overgrown, unkempt wasteland.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

I agree with slowing down drivers with speeds bumps or the police actually ticketing motorists blowing through stop signs, but we pay some of the highest taxes in the country and should have roads that don't look 3rd world.

A lot of the road destruction is caused by the constant repairs and updates needed to the sewer and gas lines. If people want high-rises then they have to consider that all that new, additional poop has to go somewhere so sewer lines must be expanded. Also the gas lines need to be extended to reach the new buildings like the ones going up on the 10th Street embankment. (I still can't believe they allowed development on those beautiful old embankments.) The next big Sandy-like storm should bring DTJC a flood of raw sewage what with all the new residents.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Only downtown ?

Check out the hellhole that are the other parts of JC.

Millions of property tax dollars are spent on what ?

Waiting for the punch line......

Posted on: 2016/3/31 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
You should have seen them 15 yrs ago. They are much much better today. In fact Fulop was instrumental in getting them fixed as a councilman.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 2:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/31 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I have to give Candice credit for trying (see post #2) but telling us it will be "a few years" is a pretty shocking answer. All those bike lanes she pushed for are now patches of asphalt (anyone else notice how often the gas line trenching was EXACTLY down the middle of said bike lanes?)

While our mayor gets driven around in the back seat of a big SUV with 20" tires, the rest of us are just trying to get around without breaking our cars or breaking our necks while on bikes. Oh wait, I forgot, the Mayor is out of town working on his Gubernatorial campaign. Silly me...

I want Coles St. opened. The big friggin crane has been there for too many months. Are they PAYING the City for the road closure? If so, put the money toward paving.

I've never seen the roads this bad in 30 years of living here.

Candice, you're one of the few who doesn't pass the buck, so how about championing this cause?

Posted on: 2016/3/31 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

soaringswine1 wrote:
Similar question.

Does it seem a little unscrupulous to enforce alternate side parking when 25%+ of Hamilton park streets are closed?

Does the city have a policy on this?

(I got ticketed twice the past two weeks, super frustrating)

I agree. I have said this for years. Most of the parking around H.P. was taken "just in case" for the construction of the giant crane at Hamilton Place. They should "green zone" certain streets. When they hang the no parking signs the same people should post green zone signs to indicate that only permit parking will be enforced on the nearby streets but not street sweeping. It's really quite simple. Also, who the F**K coordinates the street closures in Jersey City? A retarded caveman? It's decidedly uncoordinated and random and the cops assigned to it are basically useless at directing traffic. I think they just don't want to bother directing traffic so they just close the street.

JCPD is the WORST when it comes to traffic detours and direction. Most of them are too busy staring at their phones or chatting with each other while traffic is a mess because no one knows where to go.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/3/31 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

soaringswine1 wrote:
Similar question.

Does it seem a little unscrupulous to enforce alternate side parking when 25%+ of Hamilton park streets are closed?

Does the city have a policy on this?

(I got ticketed twice the past two weeks, super frustrating)

I agree. I have said this for years. Most of the parking around H.P. was taken "just in case" for the construction of the giant crane at Hamilton Place. They should "green zone" certain streets. When they hang the no parking signs the same people should post green zone signs to indicate that only permit parking will be enforced on the nearby streets but not street sweeping. It's really quite simple. Also, who the F**K coordinates the street closures in Jersey City? A retarded caveman? It's decidedly uncoordinated and random and the cops assigned to it are basically useless at directing traffic. I think they just don't want to bother directing traffic so they just close the street.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
4th Street is the worst. It was re-paved 2-3 years ago, but dug up and shoddily patched up many times since.

If you think 4th street is bad, come up to the the heights. Some of the roads looks like bombed out runways.

Absolutely, I've been calling them in for days now.
The Heights is horrendous ! The south end of Central Ave. is ridden with ruts and splits along with the remnants of land mines. Calling the RRC resulted in finding out their computer system is being revamped so can't get work order numbers for a paper trail.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 0:00
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017