Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cast Iron Porcelain tub repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Never did it; I ended up replacing tubs in various houses I've owned. Heard mixed reviews about the epoxy re-glazing process. You have to be very careful with the cleaning products you use (not too abrasive) but it can last 5-10 years with care.

I'm with Brewster on all this. I'm a total DIY-guy and a have a shop full of tools to make anything right. But I also concur that a 5" crack probably means something deeper than just the surface porcelain.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
Is there any purpose to those screens?

If the screen is actually 1st and that keeps crap out of the spray/stream valve or aerator, yes. What drives me batshit is the aerators that have no screen protecting them, so when crap gets inside they're impossible to clean. Most infuriating is these tend to have a screen LAST, where it does no good!

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any purpose to those screens? All they seem to achive is to block faucets and cause problems. It all seems to be part of a government conspiracy to reduce water flow wherever possible, with screens and aerator heads. Everything seems to work a lot better without them.

At my work office in Jersey City, instead of rinsing my hands for ten seconds under a tap with normal flow, I have to stand there for ten minutes(*) rubbing my hands under a diffuse sprinkle from a ridiculous aerator.

Robin.

(*) possibly a slight exaggeration.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
We get it, you know everything. Yawn.

Nope, sure don't. I just handyman my properties. The point of the story is that a number of professionals came through and were so focused on how they could part the homeowners from their cash that they wouldn't solve the simple problem. I doubt they were actually puzzled, it wasn't rocket science to anyone familiar with plumbing.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Luckily it is only the porcelain that cracked

What makes you say that? Porcelain cracks don't typically propagate 5" on a sound piece of cast iron. You usually get crazing, a network of small cracks. You want to know before you spend big bucks, and the guy taking the big bucks might not tell you.

True story: A few weeks ago we were guests at a friend's Catskill house, getting there late. When I got up and wandered groggy into the kitchen the owner says "I'll make you some coffee" and mumbled something about it takes so long to draw a pot of water from the kitchen sink. I ask if there's a problem with other sinks. Nope.

I stumbled over, unscrewed the pullout head from the faucet hose and cleaned the filter screen. "All set". He stood there agape. Then he said: "you know, this has been a problem for like 8 years, plumbers have looked at it, and I was told by the well guy it was a supply problem, and spent thousands of dollars fracking the well". I was appalled at the greed of the contractor (and a little bit at my friends who are no dopes but not handy). Why spend 2 minutes cleaning a screen when you can bamboozle the customer for thousands?

Caveat Emptor.

We get it, you know everything. Yawn.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Luckily it is only the porcelain that cracked

What makes you say that? Porcelain cracks don't typically propagate 5" on a sound piece of cast iron. You usually get crazing, a network of small cracks. You want to know before you spend big bucks, and the guy taking the big bucks might not tell you.

True story: A few weeks ago we were guests at a friend's Catskill house, getting there late. When I got up and wandered groggy into the kitchen the owner says "I'll make you some coffee" and mumbled something about it takes so long to draw a pot of water from the kitchen sink. I ask if there's a problem with other sinks. Nope.

I stumbled over, unscrewed the pullout head from the faucet hose and cleaned the filter screen. "All set". He stood there agape. Then he said: "you know, this has been a problem for like 8 years, plumbers have looked at it, and I was told by the well guy it was a supply problem, and spent thousands of dollars fracking the well". I was appalled at the greed of the contractor (and a little bit at my friends who are no dopes but not handy). Why spend 2 minutes cleaning a screen when you can bamboozle the customer for thousands?

Caveat Emptor.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 20:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
I was doing some research into this, because we have a similar issue with our tub.

DR Reglazing has good reviews on Angie's List and Yelp. I haven't called them, though (let alone hired them), so I can't personally vouch for them. But check them out.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 19:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
I have a clawfoot porcelain tub that is in need of repair. All of a sudden a 5" crack appeared on the porcelain, not sure how it happened but the only thing I can think of might have caused it are the vibrations coming from all the construction going on outside.
Can anyone recommend a good porcelain tub repair person?

That sounds like it might be a crack in the cast iron tub not the porcelain! In that case, it's not repairable. Good luck, from what I've heard and seen on TV, even just the finish is neither easy nor cheap to do right.

Luckily it is only the porcelain that cracked, don't want any more damage or the iron getting rusted. I found a guy in NY via craigslist but the pick up and delivery will cost more than the actual fix.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I searched for someone to repair the porcelain on a cast iron sink a few years ago and came up empty. Sent you a PM.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
I have a clawfoot porcelain tub that is in need of repair. All of a sudden a 5" crack appeared on the porcelain, not sure how it happened but the only thing I can think of might have caused it are the vibrations coming from all the construction going on outside.

That sounds like it might be a crack in the cast iron tub not the porcelain! In that case, it's not repairable. Good luck, from what I've heard and seen on TV, even just the finish is neither easy nor cheap to do right.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:27

Cast Iron Porcelain tub repair
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/12 20:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017