Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Citi Bike
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
>>...imagine the outrage if CitiBike starts taking over what some neighbors and businesses consider to be "prime spots".

We don't even have to imagine, since they've been through dozens of dock-siting controversies in NYC and in the initial JC rollout:

In a park? Ruining the view.
Historic district? George Washington never rode one (but 1000 modern parked cars are fine).
Heavy foot traffic? It'll be in the way.
Light foot traffic? Too far out of the way.
On a county road? City doesn't have jurisdiction.

Etc.

My personal favorite was the parents at a NYC school who basically said their children would be kidnapped and murdered by the undesirable element a dock would attract to the area.

Anyway, the initial position of a new dock is often already an obvious compromise based on known objections, and then some get moved later, for reasons good and less good. You'll get the ideal locations when we have the ideal civic culture.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
OneSkirt wrote: Quote:
hero69 wrote: Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Grumbling in Jersey City over parking spots lost to Citi Bike stations

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 02, 2016 at 4:02 PM, updated August 02, 2016 at 8:38 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Bike enthusiasts are happy about the recent Citi Bike Jersey City expansion, but not everyone is thrilled about losing parking spaces for their cars.

A group of residents who live on and around Astor Place managed to delay installation of a Citi Bike station on nearby Park Street over parking concerns, while residents who live around the Danforth Avenue light rail stop are pressing the city to relocate the bike station installed there.

"They took the parking from us," said Regina Johnson Green, of Princeton Avenue

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ke_stations_leads_to.html

When oh when will the city learn to engage local residents BEFORE placing the stations? Whether you agree with the protestors or not, this is a problem that keeps happening.
Oh, I don't know... maybe because the city *knows* that all of the old timers will throw their hands up in the air and complain about loss of parking, or interlopers. I totally agree that you normally would get the best results when you engage the populace in the decision making process, but our old timers (as a group) have shown themselves to be an anachronistic bunch opposed to progress, newcomers, and change. Also, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable for government to sometimes make decisions on its own that will annoy or impact its citizens. The deployment of CitiBike racks is for the public good (perhaps somewhat controversially to some, since it is a joint private/public push) and it is not something drastic like an imminent domain land grab.
I get what you are saying, but not really the case in this issue. Example: the rack on Kensington Ave about a 1 block from Lincoln Park that got placed without resident engagement. A location that not only took up 2-3 parking spaces, but was also off the main route and hard to find/not visible. There were several alternate good locations for that rack proposed by residents, the target users of the program - like the entrance to Lincoln Park right on West Side Ave.Imagine a bike share at a park entrance AND where commuters could easily access it/find it. BRILLIANT!!
i hear you about ill considered spots. i was looking for the bikes near the park on manhattan avenue up in the heights the other day. i did not see any so i walked to pershing field. later in the day as i was walking along kennedy, i spotted the bikes on a side street (1-2 blocks away). they were literally hidden.
Its amazingly stupid not to place these stations on visible, main thoroughfares and near parks when those are in proximity of the desired location.
Definitely agreed on placement of racks in ill conceived spots that are far from optimal places for commuters and potential users. But, imagine the outrage if CitiBike starts taking over what some neighbors and businesses consider to be "prime spots".

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hero69 wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY ? Bike enthusiasts are happy about the recent Citi Bike Jersey City expansion, but not everyone is thrilled about losing parking spaces for their cars.

A group of residents who live on and around Astor Place managed to delay installation of a Citi Bike station on nearby Park Street over parking concerns, while residents who live around the Danforth Avenue light rail stop are pressing the city to relocate the bike station installed there.

When oh when will the city learn to engage local residents BEFORE placing the stations? Whether you agree with the protestors or not, this is a problem that keeps happening.
Oh, I don't know... maybe because the city *knows* that all of the old timers will throw their hands up in the air and complain about loss of parking, or interlopers. I totally agree that you normally would get the best results when you engage the populace in the decision making process, but our old timers (as a group) have shown themselves to be an anachronistic bunch opposed to progress, newcomers, and change. Also, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable for government to sometimes make decisions on its own that will annoy or impact its citizens. The deployment of CitiBike racks is for the public good (perhaps somewhat controversially to some, since it is a joint private/public push) and it is not something drastic like an imminent domain land grab.
I get what you are saying, but not really the case in this issue. Example: the rack on Kensington Ave about a 1 block from Lincoln Park that got placed without resident engagement. A location that not only took up 2-3 parking spaces, but was also off the main route and hard to find/not visible. There were several alternate good locations for that rack proposed by residents, the target users of the program - like the entrance to Lincoln Park right on West Side Ave.Imagine a bike share at a park entrance AND where commuters could easily access it/find it. BRILLIANT!!
i hear you about ill considered spots. i was looking for the bikes near the park on manhattan avenue up in the heights the other day. i did not see any so i walked to pershing field. later in the day as i was walking along kennedy, i spotted the bikes on a side street (1-2 blocks away). they were literally hidden.
Its amazingly stupid not to place these stations on visible, main thoroughfares and near parks when those are in proximity of the desired location.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY — Bike enthusiasts are happy about the recent Citi Bike Jersey City expansion, but not everyone is thrilled about losing parking spaces for their cars.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY — Bike enthusiasts are happy about the recent Citi Bike Jersey City expansion, but not everyone is thrilled about losing parking spaces for their cars.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/3 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of the new stations locations had to do with crowdsourcing. I remember the Brunswick/7-8th spots being heavily advocated. No surprise there are a few stations in that area now.

Good luck biking today and the next couple of days with an oven blowing in your face...

Posted on: 2016/7/23 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
on July 22, 2016 at 8:53 AM, updated July 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM
Mary Ford loves Citi Bike Jersey City, but barely uses the bike-share station closest to her home.

Ford, 57, who lives on Garfield Avenue, would have to walk to Bayside Park to grab one of the Citi Bike bicycles stationed there and use it to get to the Downtown financial services company where she works.

"That's sort of a long, lonely walk past a cemetery," she told The Jersey Journal. "After dark, I don't really want to do that."

Ford is in luck. This week Jersey City announced the locations of 15 new Citi Bike stations, and one of them is outside the Danforth Avenue light rail stop, much closer to Ford's house. She is thrilled.

"I will use it constantly now," she said.

Citi Bike Jersey City launched in September with 35 stations citywide. Along with the 15 new stations, the system will also add 150 bikes, bringing the total size of its fleet to 500.

Installation of the new stations is expected to begin this week.

Nine of the new bike-share stations are located Downtown, where most of its users live: Sixth and Monmouth streets, Sixth Street and Jersey Avenue, Brunswick and Seventh streets, Third Street and Jersey Avenue, Second and Grove streets, Columbus Drive and Monmouth Street, Columbus Drive and Warren Street, the Marin Boulevard light-rail station and at Morris Canal Park.

More

Posted on: 2016/7/23 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would prefer the station placed on the sidewalk as opposed to being along the curb on the asphalt /street. Take the one on Ogden Ave. off the corner of Congress St. in the Heights, docking and undocking the bike, fiddling with the credit card, and then pulling the bike out of it's docking station will put the potential rider in harms way of the oncoming traffic. The rider will be bent over jutting themselves outward with their back blindly facing into the street risking the danger of getting clipped by a moving vehicle, SUV, van, or box truck. Those side view mirrors alone can cause havoc.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant it should be on the sidewalk but up close to the curb - not mid-sidewalk. I don't want them in the street either.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would prefer the station placed on the sidewalk as opposed to being along the curb on the asphalt /street. Take the one on Ogden Ave. off the corner of Congress St. in the Heights, docking and undocking the bike, fiddling with the credit card, and then pulling the bike out of it's docking station will put the potential rider in harms way of the oncoming traffic. The rider will be bent over jutting themselves outward with their back blindly facing into the street risking the danger of getting clipped by a moving vehicle, SUV, van, or box truck. Those side view mirrors alone can cause havoc.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 20:52
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know (from earlier phases of implementation, I guess) if the newly installed bike stations are actually in their permanent spots, or if they're just "staging" at the moment?

The new one at Key Foods is set in from the curb considerably and as a consequence the bikes will be well into the middle of the sidewalk.

Yes, it would involve eliminating a "tree" ("tree" = twig) but I would think that having the station curbside is preferred.

Love that the station location, otherwise.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Walking is good exercise

Posted on: 2016/7/22 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Nice how DTJC once again gets all the Citi Bike Racks.

Imagine if Jersey City had an administration that cared about the whole city.

To the contrary, when CitiBike first began talking to the City about implementing here, they only wanted to put stations downtown with a few outside of the downtown area. Several neighborhoods were allotted zero stations. Anyone who was there during the negotiations can tell you that the Mayor himself said they would not launch CitiBike unless every Ward was allotted stations.

Regarding the new stations coming online, as you can see there are new stations going in every Ward again. However, the process for choosing these was a combination of crowdsourcing and seeing where people voted for new stations, as well as where the most activity is. Downtown has the most activity (as well as the most people per square foot) so they are getting more new stations.

Lip service, if the bike racks are few and far between like elsewhere other than DTJC people need to walk 4 or 5 blocks to access CitiBike then the incentive to use the service is lessened.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

not that i disagree with the premise that city hall luuuuvs dtjc over greenville/heights/etc. but this is demographics at its simplest here.

who is most likely to use this? middle- and upper-middle class and commuters who most likely don't have cars. where are they all moving into? dtjc. where is the bulk of the young + new population? dtjc.

do 30 people get use out of this or do 10?

shrug

Posted on: 2016/7/21 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that map is incorrect. Citi Bike people gave that to me but later acknowledged that that Marin Blvd, even though it appear son the map as an existing station, is a new one that is planned, and one of the "new" stations near Berry Lane Park is really just an existing station being moved there. I took the map out of the story once someone alerted me. They don't have a new one quite yet.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

To the contrary, when CitiBike first began talking to the City about implementing here, they only wanted to put stations downtown with a few outside of the downtown area. Several neighborhoods were allotted zero stations. Anyone who was there during the negotiations can tell you that the Mayor himself said they would not launch CitiBike unless every Ward was allotted stations.

Regarding the new stations coming online, as you can see there are new stations going in every Ward again. However, the process for choosing these was a combination of crowdsourcing and seeing where people voted for new stations, as well as where the most activity is. Downtown has the most activity (as well as the most people per square foot) so they are getting more new stations.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Great news! Thanks, Bob.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
T-Bird wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City unveils locations of 15 new Citi Bike stations

on July 20, 2016 at 12:54 PM, updated July 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Mary Ford loves Citi Bike Jersey City, but barely uses the bike-share station closest to her home.

Ford, 57, who lives on Garfield Avenue, would have to walk to Bayside Park to grab one of the Citi Bike bicycles stationed there and use it to get to the Downtown financial services company where she works.

Jersey City Citi Bike expansion 7-20-16-resized.jpg

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _citi_bike_locations.html

The map is incorrect: it shows an existing station at the Marin Blvd. light rail station. There is no such CitiBike station. Are there other inaccuracies? The lack of a station at Marin light rail is a real head scratcher - Between 225 Grand, Gulls Cove, 18 Park and the Madox there are 1,200 residential units within a block of that spot and no CitiBike station anywhere nearby. Layer in the new development going in on Van Vorst along the St. Peter's Prep football field, Gull's Cove phase 2 and the high rise that is nearing completion south of 18 Park and this is a very dense, underserved area. Should have been included in the first round and somehow missed the expansion as well? And yet the photo-op site in front of City Hall (statistically the least used site downtown) remains?
If you go on the citi bike website you can see that one of the new locations is the Marin Light rail. The map in the article is incorrect.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

The map is incorrect: it shows an existing station at the Marin Blvd. light rail station. There is no such CitiBike station. Are there other inaccuracies? The lack of a station at Marin light rail is a real head scratcher - Between 225 Grand, Gulls Cove, 18 Park and the Madox there are 1,200 residential units within a block of that spot and no CitiBike station anywhere nearby. Layer in the new development going in on Van Vorst along the St. Peter's Prep football field, Gull's Cove phase 2 and the high rise that is nearing completion south of 18 Park and this is a very dense, underserved area. Should have been included in the first round and somehow missed the expansion as well? And yet the photo-op site in front of City Hall (statistically the least used site downtown) remains?

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skewterdewd wrote:
Seriously fellow JC residents please do not waste $145 each and EVERY year (and bound to go up too!) for a clunky Citi Bike (which you can only utilize for 45 minutes before incurring and additional $2.50 surcharge each additional 30 minutes) when you can restriction free, effortless zip around town and beyond going EXACTLY where you want on a stylish brand new City Glide scooter! For a mere fraction of the price these fun fantastic scooters will at the very minimum will half your travel time vs walking! From personal experience let me tell you that these extremely light weight/portable scooters are undoubtedly the best way to get around town. Get to and from the PATH station in no time and then easily fold up the scooter for the train ride to/from work. Great for kids over 8 too these stylish scooters have a solid low weight aluminum frame (10 lbs) telescoping handle bars, an easy folding mechanism, fast over sized 210 mm high speed wheels and an over sized foot break. If interested 'd be happy to give you a test ride so you can see for yourself how simple & fun they are to ride so feel free to contact me via post in the classified ad section below the forum posts for additional information!

Does it come with a matching Dora the Explorer back pack?

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skewterdewd wrote:
Seriously fellow JC residents please do not waste $145 each and EVERY year (and bound to go up too!) for a clunky Citi Bike (which you can only utilize for 45 minutes before incurring and additional $2.50 surcharge each additional 30 minutes) when you can restriction free, effortless zip around town and beyond going EXACTLY where you want on a stylish brand new City Glide scooter! For a mere fraction of the price these fun fantastic scooters will at the very minimum will half your travel time vs walking! From personal experience let me tell you that these extremely light weight/portable scooters are undoubtedly the best way to get around town. Get to and from the PATH station in no time and then easily fold up the scooter for the train ride to/from work. Great for kids over 8 too these stylish scooters have a solid low weight aluminum frame (10 lbs) telescoping handle bars, an easy folding mechanism, fast over sized 210 mm high speed wheels and an over sized foot break. If interested 'd be happy to give you a test ride so you can see for yourself how simple & fun they are to ride so feel free to contact me via post in the classified ad section below the forum posts for additional information!

and guarantee your virginity for as long as you own it!

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skewterdewd wrote:
Seriously fellow JC residents please do not waste $145 each and EVERY year (and bound to go up too!) for a clunky Citi Bike (which you can only utilize for 45 minutes before incurring and additional $2.50 surcharge each additional 30 minutes) when you can effortless zip around town and beyond going EXACTLY where you want on a stylish brand new City Glide scooter! For a mere fraction of the price these fun fantastic scooters will at the very minimum will half your travel time vs walking! From personal experience let me tell you that these extremely light weight/portable scooters are undoubtedly the best way to get around town. Get to and from the PATH station in no time and then easily fold up the scooter for the train ride to/from work. Great for kids over 8 too these stylish scooters have a solid low weight aluminum frame (10 lbs) telescoping handle bars, an easy folding mechanism, fast over sized 210 mm high speed wheels and an over sized foot break. If interested 'd be happy to give you a test ride so you can see for yourself how simple & fun they are to ride so feel free to contact me via post in the classified ad section below the forum posts for additional information!
honestly.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 10:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/23 12:15
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/21 10:27

Edited by skewterdewd on 2016/7/21 10:53:26
Edited by skewterdewd on 2016/7/21 10:57:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/20 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Do you write for a major publication terrencemcd ? I am familiar with Bicycle Times and Momentum Magazine.

I'm the City Hall reporter for the Jersey Journal

Thanks, I should have figured it out by the e-mail address.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Do you write for a major publication terrencemcd ? I am familiar with Bicycle Times and Momentum Magazine.

I'm the City Hall reporter for the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2016/3/12 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/12 15:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017