Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City fired me for Facebook posts on Hillary Clinton, Muslims, man says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"cursing early in the morning"

Posted on: 2016/3/12 17:48

Re: Jersey City fired me for Facebook posts on Hillary Clinton, Muslims, man says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
You are discussing the wrong thing. The thing to discuss is: was he wrongfully fired? Seems to me the city exposed itself to some liability.

First common sense statement made. It is not about his skills, why was he fired for posting articles? He removed them then was fired. As I stated earlier, neither Brooke Hansen or Akil were fired. The city also gave employment to Eugene McKnight who did not pay his fine. So I consider this all politics.

Just because an action is politically motivated, it is not necessarily illegal. Government work, particularly hirings and firings, are often inherently politically motivated.

Making inappropriate Facebook posts can get you fired for s number of valid reasons. Fulop is a smart man, so I have to believe he had his lawyers do some research before making this move.

So I guess cursing early in the morning is OK but not postings articles to your facebook page? Plus hiring someone that said racist things are OK, too? The judge was on to something when he called Fulop "King George."

Posted on: 2016/3/12 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
You are discussing the wrong thing. The thing to discuss is: was he wrongfully fired? Seems to me the city exposed itself to some liability.

First common sense statement made. It is not about his skills, why was he fired for posting articles? He removed them then was fired. As I stated earlier, neither Brooke Hansen or Akil were fired. The city also gave employment to Eugene McKnight who did not pay his fine. So I consider this all politics.

Just because an action is politically motivated, it is not necessarily illegal. Government work, particularly hirings and firings, are often inherently politically motivated.

Making inappropriate Facebook posts can get you fired for s number of valid reasons. Fulop is a smart man, so I have to believe he had his lawyers do some research before making this move.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/12 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/12 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
that just makes the two of you out of date.

let's put it this way... if you were using something computer related and had no idea how to work it, i would question your skills as an 'it pro'. this guy was utilizing a program and screwed himself with his lack of knowledge on how it works.

were you to use any language, you should know how to use it, or probably not call yourself a pro

Posted on: 2016/3/12 7:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
same here. Also most of the individuals I consider solid it professionals never seem to have a Facebook page

Posted on: 2016/3/12 5:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm an IT professional and have no idea how to set Facebook settings, nor any desire to use the thing.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
What makes you think this guy was poorly skilled? The only indication of his competence is found here, and it doesn't say much:

City Hall sources tell a different story. Guglielmi was making necessary changes to the IT department, one of them told The Jersey Journal.

"People loved him," the source said. "They were thrilled with him."

Hmm... the fact that he couldn't figure out how to set up his Facebook privacy settings? The fact that he couldn't be bothered to check and confirm that the settings he DID set up were in fact doing what he thought they were doing? The fact that he was willing to accept 95K for a year for a position worth much more?

He is 70 which is very old for a new employee. Despite the fact that age discrimination is illegal, it is rampant. The sad fact is, this man could have all the talent in the world and would have a very hard time getting a job that pays at market wage. So him accepting this job is not evidence at all of a lack of skill.

Not to mention this is a circular argument. You are saying it's not surprising he's unskilled because the job was advertised at a below market rate. With the "proof" of his lack of skill coming from the fact that he took a such a job. In other words, you can never be wrong. By your logic, anyone who took this job would be unskilled.

The part about the Facebook settings seems tangentially related to his skill as an IT professional. Clearly he is unfamiliar with how this website works, but who knows what the IT infrastructure is like inside of City Hall. My guess is it's old as hell. In which case, an old-timer like this would be comfortable.

The ultimate point is, every indication from this article (all we have to go by so far) is that his firing was politically motivated and had NOTHING to do with his skill level.

You are completely ignoring the other reasons mentioned. Being able to set security and privacy settings in Facebook is something that *any* IT professional should be able to do. That is not "tangentially related" to IT, that's directly related. Even more directly related to skills and aptitude is the fact that after you do ANY work in IT, you must then go back and test and verify the results of said work. This guy set some settings (incorrectly) and didn't bother to check or test them, or he would have easily determined his settings were not keeping his posts private. Apparently, he simply assumed his settings were set properly.

From the article, ONE PERSON said he was making changes and everybody liked him. That reminds of criminals that get killed in drug and gang activity, and you then hear their mothers or girlfriends claiming the gangbanger was a really good person who had never done anything wrong. You see a politically motivated firing, I see a nincompoop who didn't have the knowledge or skills to be an IT director.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
What makes you think this guy was poorly skilled? The only indication of his competence is found here, and it doesn't say much:

City Hall sources tell a different story. Guglielmi was making necessary changes to the IT department, one of them told The Jersey Journal.

Hmm... the fact that he couldn't figure out how to set up his Facebook privacy settings? The fact that he couldn't be bothered to check and confirm that the settings he DID set up were in fact doing what he thought they were doing? The fact that he was willing to accept 95K for a year for a position worth much more?

He is 70 which is very old for a new employee. Despite the fact that age discrimination is illegal, it is rampant. The sad fact is, this man could have all the talent in the world and would have a very hard time getting a job that pays at market wage. So him accepting this job is not evidence at all of a lack of skill.

Not to mention this is a circular argument. You are saying it's not surprising he's unskilled because the job was advertised at a below market rate. With the "proof" of his lack of skill coming from the fact that he took a such a job. In other words, you can never be wrong. By your logic, anyone who took this job would be unskilled.

The part about the Facebook settings seems tangentially related to his skill as an IT professional. Clearly he is unfamiliar with how this website works, but who knows what the IT infrastructure is like inside of City Hall. My guess is it's old as hell. In which case, an old-timer like this would be comfortable.

The ultimate point is, every indication from this article (all we have to go by so far) is that his firing was politically motivated and had NOTHING to do with his skill level.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/11 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The fact that the newly hired director of IT was so poorly skilled is not at all surprising. There was a thread in here (not sure if still available, since it may have been lost during the crash from a year or two ago) in which a bunch of us were discussing the ridiculously low salary being offered for what amounts to a CIO position for what is soon to be the largest city in NJ. This guy was hired for 95K for a position that could easily command twice that. You get what you pay for.

Well, one indicator is that he accepted 95K per year.. Head IT jobs are very much in demand

This is what is called circular reasoning and is a fallacy.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Well, one indicator is that he accepted 95K per year.. Head IT jobs are very much in demand[/quote]

How much demand is there for someone over 65 years of age?

Posted on: 2016/3/11 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The fact that the newly hired director of IT was so poorly skilled is not at all surprising. There was a thread in here (not sure if still available, since it may have been lost during the crash from a year or two ago) in which a bunch of us were discussing the ridiculously low salary being offered for what amounts to a CIO position for what is soon to be the largest city in NJ. This guy was hired for 95K for a position that could easily command twice that. You get what you pay for.

Well, one indicator is that he accepted 95K per year.. Head IT jobs are very much in demand

Posted on: 2016/3/11 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/11 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is a well know fact that Fulop supported Clinton and Healy supported Obama during the 2008 presidential race. Since he is running for governor, I am sure he wants her support now. Furthermore, Fulop kept quiet when Akil made racist comments and Brooke Hanson still kept her job after making a fool of herself. This is nothing but politics.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/11 21:28

Jersey City fired me for Facebook posts on Hillary Clinton, Muslims, man says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM, updated March 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM
JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City's former IT director says he was fired after a mayoral aide spotted right-wing posts on his Facebook page, posts that slammed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and criticized moves to accept Syrian refugees into the country.

The city's decision to terminate Alan Guglielmi came after the city spent more than a year searching for someone to lead its IT department, and less than three weeks after Guglielmi was hired. The 70-year-old North Arlington man said he's hoping to hire an attorney to help him win his job back.

"I think my First Amendment rights have been infringed upon," he told The Jersey Journal.

Guglielmi's termination ? which the city says was justified ? comes as public entities statewide and across the nation grapple with how to handle sensitive content workers post on their personal Facebook pages....

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y.html#incart_2box_hudson

"Guglielmi said he thought privacy protections on Facebook kept strangers from seeing his posts, but they were visible to this reporter the week he was fired. "

-Head of IT and doesn't know how to set permissions in FB!

Posted on: 2016/3/11 20:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017