Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Parking Permit to 11:00 PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
If we can step away from the argument over one's Constitutional right to park his Escalade...someone below mentioned that parking is permitted in the city hall lots in the evenings. Is that accurate?

Yes, anyone can use those two lots behind City Hall. However, Yvonne will argue that they don't have enough open spaces for the public. This is not true 95% of the time. I go to meetings there frequently, as do neighbors, and we have never had any issue parking there.

Also, what the protesters are missing is that the Ordinance would actually be more likely to help them find parking around City Hall than not. First off, rarely would one need to be at a public meeting more than 3 hours. A new 3 hour window means that many residents without permits who refuse to rent parking in their buildings and opt instead for the current free parking from 3pm-10am the next day won't be on the street any longer. They instead will have to rent the garage spaces in their buildings as they won't be permit eligible - hence there will be less cars on the street. Also, this Ord. would reduce the number of cars also using the current free parking from 3p-10am to go into NYC.

Lastly, I don't understand why the Council caved entirely, the compromise would have been to simply remove the zone around City Hall in this Ordinance.

3 hours meetings? Where? Does it happen? Rarely, do meetings take 3 hours. Important issues take hours. The historic meeting ordinance went one forever. I left at 11:30 PM and that meeting was still going.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lastly, I don't understand why the Council caved entirely, the compromise would have been to simply remove the zone around City Hall in this Ordinance.

With the exception of Candice Osborne, the Council is full of idiots who, if they are not actually lawbreakers themselves (Ramchal), pander to the parking mafia (Boggiano, Yun). I think it's particularly outrageous they voted down this important public safety proposal http://hudsoncountyview.com/after-spi ... estrian-safety-ordinance/

Posted on: 2016/3/11 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
If we can step away from the argument over one's Constitutional right to park his Escalade...someone below mentioned that parking is permitted in the city hall lots in the evenings. Is that accurate?

Yes, anyone can use those two lots behind City Hall. However, Yvonne will argue that they don't have enough open spaces for the public. This is not true 95% of the time. I go to meetings there frequently, as do neighbors, and we have never had any issue parking there.

Also, what the protesters are missing is that the Ordinance would actually be more likely to help them find parking around City Hall than not. First off, rarely would one need to be at a public meeting more than 3 hours. A new 3 hour window means that many residents without permits who refuse to rent parking in their buildings and opt instead for the current free parking from 3pm-10am the next day won't be on the street any longer. They instead will have to rent the garage spaces in their buildings as they won't be permit eligible - hence there will be less cars on the street. Also, this Ord. would reduce the number of cars also using the current free parking from 3p-10am to go into NYC.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dr. Nick, this is not NYC which has mass transit. Get over the fact, that JC is NOT the sixth borough of NYC. Citizens has the absolute right to attend public meetings without getting tickets or having their cars booted. Not one governmental officials has offered to eliminate their parking spot. Fulop has a city car, a suv while he is telling everyone else to use Citibikes. A poll tax is where citizens had to pay to vote, passing an ordinance requiring citizens to have parking permits means only local residents can attend public meetings. It is a poll tax whether you agree or not. There is no mass traffic from Greenville or the Heights to City Hall.

Ignoring the fact that there are many areas of NYC that don't have subway access and are very underserved by mass transit...nobody is obliged to give you free parking.

Maybe, just maybe, you didn't realize that there's a large and ever-growing contingent of new residents who have just as much voice as you do and DO want a more urban, NYC-like experience? There are others who don't want city planning held hostage to the needs of a couple entitled NIMBYs who feel the need to hold any progressive development plans hostage to their desire to drive down any street unencumbered by any traffic and waltz into an easy to find, free street parking spot.

I just wish the councilwoman showed a little bit of backbone and pushed back against you and your nut job supporters.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is no mass traffic from Greenville or the Heights to City Hall.

Now you're simply lying. A moment spent on Google Maps shows there's no place in JC that can't get by transit to City Hall at 6 pm in less than 45 min, most places in Greenville & the Heights in far less. But judging by your standards on Newark St you would require door to door service without any walking at all.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dr. Nick, this is not NYC which has mass transit. Get over the fact, that JC is NOT the sixth borough of NYC. Citizens has the absolute right to attend public meetings without getting tickets or having their cars booted. Not one governmental officials has offered to eliminate their parking spot. Fulop has a city car, a suv while he is telling everyone else to use Citibikes. A poll tax is where citizens had to pay to vote, passing an ordinance requiring citizens to have parking permits means only local residents can attend public meetings. It is a poll tax whether you agree or not. There is no mass traffic from Greenville or the Heights to City Hall.

No one said you have to drive to City Hall.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

OMG, did you guys know it can take some NYC residents over an hour and half to get to City Hall? This is a poll tax. These people need helicopters now! Only local Manhattan residents can attend public meetings at City Hall.
If it were only like jersey city, where it?s residents can be at city hall in less than an hour, from anywhere in the city.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/11 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/11 14:19

Re: Permit Parking until 11:00 PM defeated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Did you hear Councilman Boggaino? He is right, the people should riot it that sell the parking lot for development.

If it were up to you, every other block would a surface-level parking lot. You're not entitled to free parking in a section as dense as Downtown. Get over it.

Can you site an ordinance stating that? If you can't then you are giving your opinion. The issue is only about having access to public meetings. To favor one group over another group (the public) is wrong. Councilwoman Watterman said, she also understood the problem but in order to take way parking from one group you must give that group an alternative. There are no alternatives. I don't blame the residents who live downtown. I blame government for allowing this to happen. The reason many people do not park in the buildings' garages is the cost. Parking is provided in my building as part of the maintenance cost. No one pays extra, so people park in the building. Our government should have made that a requirement when they were giving away their sweetheart tax abatement deals.

Is NYC obliged to provide free parking for anybody that has business at city hall or the council building? No. Is NYC obliged to reimburse Metrocards and taxi fares for people wishing to attend meetings? No. And before you say we're not NYC, Downtown is now at about the same density as NYC, therefore city planning should reflect as such.

Your ridiculous comparison to a "poll tax" cheapens and demeans the real ordeals of people in red states that are right now having their voting rights assaulted and taken away for political gain.

And believe it or not, most people have real jobs and lives and don't care to moonlight as "community activists" for a living. Most people aren't at City Hall 5 days a week, squawking and barking hyperbolic arguments about god knows what because they think they're entitled to have things remain as they were in 1970. Most people very rarely, if ever, take public transit or have business in city hall that would last over 3 hours. Apparently, the people you managed to drag out to this had no particular trouble getting to city hall that day or else they wouldn't have been able to recite your force fed talking points.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Claiming racism on this is just a cheap and sleazy tactic, not surprising though.

This is the hallmark of the Left. Not surprising in the slightest.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Did you hear Councilman Boggaino? He is right, the people should riot it that sell the parking lot for development.

If it were up to you, every other block would a surface-level parking lot. You're not entitled to free parking in a section as dense as Downtown. Get over it.

Can you site an ordinance stating that? If you can't then you are giving your opinion. The issue is only about having access to public meetings. To favor one group over another group (the public) is wrong. Councilwoman Watterman said, she also understood the problem but in order to take way parking from one group you must give that group an alternative. There are no alternatives. I don't blame the residents who live downtown. I blame government for allowing this to happen. The reason many people do not park in the buildings' garages is the cost. Parking is provided in my building as part of the maintenance cost. No one pays extra, so people park in the building. Our government should have made that a requirement when they were giving away their sweetheart tax abatement deals.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/11 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Claiming racism on this is just a cheap and sleazy tactic, not surprising though.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/10 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the comments cited in the article, it seems the meeting was pure lunacy. Great work.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 22:29

Permit Parking until 11:00 PM defeated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The public spoke at city hall. The ordinance to extend permit parking to 11:00 PM near city hall was defeated.

http://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... racism-parking-ordinance/

Posted on: 2016/3/10 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I truly feel sorry for you Pebble, your life constitutes of making personal attacks against me, how sad. I stand by my letter. I heard the information in the caucus room on the permit parking and I was at the council meeting when the city passed the meter parking. Were you there? By the way, when I say something, I don't hide behind a phony name, anyone who does that has problems.

If you think my life constitutes making personal attacks against you then you are even more self-absorbed than I previously thought!

I was not at the meeting. I don?t arrive home from work early enough to attend most meetings. However, you don?t seem to be taking up the fight against the hours of the meetings starting when most people are at work...

You keep using the fact that you use your name as a crutch of defense. The majority of ideas you put forward are stupid regardless if it was anonymous or came from someone that I actually respect.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Some say there are already enough garages in JC and others say there aren't. I don't know the truth.

There is PLENTY of parking in JC. What you are bemoaning is lack of FREE parking. Don't confuse the two concepts. Anyone can come into JC, and plenty of suburbanites do so. Just go to any of the happening bars and/or restaurants along Newark Ave, or even places like Zeppelin and Surf City, and it quickly becomes obvious that is true. Yes, parking along the streets of DTJC can be tough Friday and Saturday nights, but the garages are mostly empty, which is why they can only afford to charge $10 for the evening, as they have too much supply and not enough demand.

No citizen who attends a public meeting should have to pay for private parking. It is a poll tax used to discriminate against poor citizens, plain and simple.

It isn?t a poll tax. No matter how many times you write it, it still won?t be true.

Parking is not some right given to all to obtain free. There is nothing in the bylaws that said all residents should be given free parking for meetings.

Before cars were invented, this town held meetings. Somehow, people that didn?t live next to town hall attended. When you choose to live in a certain place you know what you are paying for. Save money on the house, you pay for it in time to travel to destinations. This is how the world has always been and always will be. Somehow, you haven?t learned this lesson over all of the years you?ve been alive and, since you keep reminding us, you?ve been alive for quite some time.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am not talking about restaurants, I have stopped patronizing restaurants downtown and other businesses due to parking. I am talking about attending a public meeting concerning important matters in your community. Parking is important.

Parking is available. You just think that the city should give you free parking instead of paying for it yourself. YOU, not anyone else, decided to buy the house you live in and move away from walking distance to the locations you go to. Now you want everyone else to subsidize it.

For all of the crap you spew about how you have to pay for abatements of other buildings, you want everyone to pay for you. You are the very definition of a hypocrite.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I don't like to get involved in parking issues, but I have to say as someone who would love to visit some of the restaurants for lunch it's nearly impossible to find parking in or near grove. First you have stretches of road that are parking only by permit and then the other spots are usually full. Then you have meter parking on grove which involves someone taking a space for the most of the day or its no parking with construction left and right. So if I want come out, I wait till Sunday or wait till the evening and by then I'm in the mood for something else. Now if the city plans on making parking by permit to to 11, I'll stay in the heights and go to Shadman's on a holiday.

Anyone can park for 2 hrs M-F between 8-5 in the permit areas.Do you need more than 2 hrs to eat lunch?

Also, the 2 lots behind City Hall are free to park in during the evenings - for attending public meetings or for going wherever down there. True they might get redeveloped someday. But its still a ways off. Why is everyone missing this point?

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Maintaining outdated street parking policies in a whole neighborhood just because City Hall is there would be ridiculous. They have to meet a whole variety of other needs, as this policy is trying to do.

HOWEVER, I will say this for Yvonne's argument: I am probably as anti-parking as anyone in this city, but City Hall does have a unique role for everyone in the city, including those from its most distant and car-centric neighborhoods, and that can't be compromised. A council meeting is one of the few amenities for which a resident of, say, southern Greenville or the northwest Heights will never be able to "shop locally." Yes, more of those people should be coming here by mass transit, zip car, Uber, taxi, bike, bike share, etc., and gradually more of them will, but it's probably fair to bend over backwards a bit in this case, because #democracy.

So if there were some provision for providing or preserving extra car parking ON SITE at City Hall, or RIGHT next to it, that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Leave the rest of the neighborhood parking rules to Candice.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am not talking about restaurants, I have stopped patronizing restaurants downtown and other businesses due to parking. I am talking about attending a public meeting concerning important matters in your community. Parking is important.

How about the mass transit fares to attend these meetings, is that a poll tax? An almost $10 "poll tax" roundtrip if they're taking a bus and path ride to get there. Hell, even a $4.50 roundtrip Path ride can be a lot for a poor person who cannot afford the luxury of having a car.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Some say there are already enough garages in JC and others say there aren't. I don't know the truth.

There is PLENTY of parking in JC. What you are bemoaning is lack of FREE parking. Don't confuse the two concepts. Anyone can come into JC, and plenty of suburbanites do so. Just go to any of the happening bars and/or restaurants along Newark Ave, or even places like Zeppelin and Surf City, and it quickly becomes obvious that is true. Yes, parking along the streets of DTJC can be tough Friday and Saturday nights, but the garages are mostly empty, which is why they can only afford to charge $10 for the evening, as they have too much supply and not enough demand.

No citizen who attends a public meeting should have to pay for private parking. It is a poll tax used to discriminate against poor citizens, plain and simple.

It's not a poll tax because you don't have to drive there.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/26 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
First you have stretches of road that are parking only by permit

You can park there without a permit. For up to two hours. Don't get me wrong, I've had lunches last longer than two hours, but that certainly isn't normal for anyone, myself included

Posted on: 2016/2/26 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I don't like to get involved in parking issues, but I have to say as someone who would love to visit some of the restaurants for lunch it's nearly impossible to find parking in or near grove. First you have stretches of road that are parking only by permit ...

What's keeping you from parking at any of the resident permit zone areas? I have driven to Grove on countless of occasions to run quick errands (sometimes have even gone into the city on quick one-hour trips) and have ALWAYS found a spot where to park within two blocks of Grove, sometimes just a block away, and you are legally allowed to do so for up to 2 hours.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I don't like to get involved in parking issues, but I have to say as someone who would love to visit some of the restaurants for lunch it's nearly impossible to find parking in or near grove. First you have stretches of road that are parking only by permit and then the other spots are usually full. Then you have meter parking on grove which involves someone taking a space for the most of the day or its no parking with construction left and right. So if I want come out, I wait till Sunday or wait till the evening and by then I'm in the mood for something else. Now if the city plans on making parking by permit to to 11, I'll stay in the heights and go to Shadman's on a holiday.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 5:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I truly feel sorry for you Pebble, your life constitutes of making personal attacks against me, how sad. I stand by my letter. I heard the information in the caucus room on the permit parking and I was at the council meeting when the city passed the meter parking. Were you there? By the way, when I say something, I don't hide behind a phony name, anyone who does that has problems.

You criticize someone for making personal attacks and then you promptly make personal attacks against them. Cool.

Feeling sorry for someone is a personal attack? Also pointing out the fact that people hide behind a phony name when they throw dirt, is not a personal attack but the truth. It is called honesty.

k

Posted on: 2016/2/25 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You criticize someone for making personal attacks and then you promptly make personal attacks against them. Cool.

Feeling sorry for someone is a personal attack? Also pointing out the fact that people hide behind a phony name when they throw dirt, is not a personal attack but the truth. It is called honesty.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 21:18

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017