Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Santiago Calatrava on his soon-to-be-opened WTC Transit Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Does a pompous, condescending ass sound about right about Mr Calatrava? I can't wait to feel important once in my life, when I am in the presence of the greatness of his creation.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
starchitects are the worst. They are all ego and have no idea how to design constructable buildings. That is why his designs lead to lawsuits, look so different from their renderings, and go so over budget.

Thank heaven I have his designs to make me feel like a worthwhile person. Without them I dunno how I'd commute from my freestanding Victorian in Jersey city to my design job NY designing things while taking into account how things are constructed and stupid things like ADA and building codes.
Not that any of that matters but to imply we have no beauty in our commute or life without him is insulting and ignorant.

He is everything I hate about the design industry. A lot of people live in NJ bc they think it's beautiful. I did not want to move to NJ(I'm from LI it's imbedded in my DNA to hate it dumb yes I know)but luckily my husband convinced me otherwise. I love Jersey City and wouldn't live elsewhere.

Will the path station be pretty, yes, but not if you look at any of the details. Look at the benches at the wtc path station. They look very pretty except for where they are attached to the wall and how there is a giant gap between the marble on the wall and the connection of the bench. They put a strip of white MDF to fill the gap.

Yeah know what is a horrible material for public transport? WHITE MARBLE!!!! It's soft as hell, porous, slippery, and shows dirt in an instant! Yeah it looks pretty as long as no one walks on it. It also reminds me of a mausoleum. I'm not sure if this was done intentionally to respect the tragedy or if this guy has his head so far up his ass he didn't see that his finish choices create that feeling.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
impressive building but i think nearby buildinsgs detract from the impresive-ness. also, why is port authority paying for this as opposed to the feds or ny. imo the existing statin is quite nice.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
$4 billion divided by 200,000 daily commuters is $20,000 per commuter.

Assume said peon commutes through there five days of the week for 48 weeks in a year, that is 240 days, and you are walking through his masterpiece twice a day (480 times in a year), that is $41.66 per person for every visit that person makes to the Oculus in one year.

Now assume said peon lives in his same small New Jersey apartment and commutes back and forth to his same pointless basement job in New York 480 times a year for 30 years.

If you were to travel through there twice a day, every weekday - even with 20 paid vacation days every year - for three decades, that would still work out at $1.38 for EVERY commuter for EVERY time they walk through there for 30 YEARS.

But hey, you can't put a price on feeling important folks.

Or being referred to as a peon.

Proof is in the pudding, maybe you'll gush when walking thru that transit hub.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
$4 billion divided by 200,000 daily commuters is $20,000 per commuter.

Assume said peon commutes through there five days of the week for 48 weeks in a year, that is 240 days, and you are walking through his masterpiece twice a day (480 times in a year), that is $41.66 per person for every visit that person makes to the Oculus in one year.

Now assume said peon lives in his same small New Jersey apartment and commutes back and forth to his same pointless basement job in New York 480 times a year for 30 years.

If you were to travel through there twice a day, every weekday - even with 20 paid vacation days every year - for three decades, that would still work out at $1.38 for EVERY commuter for EVERY time they walk through there for 30 YEARS.

But hey, you can't put a price on feeling important folks.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 22:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
He may say strange things but the art museum he did in Milwaukee is beautiful. Also the WTC PATH is going to be absolutely stunning. I'm so excited for it to fully open.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
"I think of the person who comes to New York commuting, lives in a very modest apartment somewhere in New Jersey, comes here and has to go to work maybe in a cellar and do a very simple work," Calatrava said. "In this minute that I am here, I can at least enjoy a place in which somebody is saying, 'You are an important guy."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/27/ ... -under-cloud-4b-cost.html

Yeah!

Take heart, JC-listers, you huddled masses on the PATH train, toiling in the cellars of Manhattan, doing very simple work.

You ARE important... ;)

Calatrava is a serious tool, and a prick. He is being sued all over the world for his projects, and his star status has take a serious hit back home in Spain because his projects are not only always over budget, but also because they have not aged well, incurring serious maintenance costs that were never expected.

The PATH WTC boondoggle may have lost us 4 billion now, but we may be staring at much higher costs down the road if things play out the way they have in Spain with some other Calatrava projects.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's only February but I nominate Santiago Calatrava as douchebag of the year. I can't even believe somebody would make comments like that publicly. He sounds like a very bad person.

Man I hate everything this building stands for -- the person who designed it, it's complete lack of purpose, and the $4B that it cost, which could have actually changed the face of regional transit if spent in meaningful ways.

Barf.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
As a cellar-dwelling peon, I'm so glad that $4 billion were spent on an underground spaceship that brightens my miserable existence for 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 17:56

Santiago Calatrava on his soon-to-be-opened WTC Transit Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
"I think of the person who comes to New York commuting, lives in a very modest apartment somewhere in New Jersey, comes here and has to go to work maybe in a cellar and do a very simple work," Calatrava said. "In this minute that I am here, I can at least enjoy a place in which somebody is saying, 'You are an important guy."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/27/ ... -under-cloud-4b-cost.html

Yeah!

Take heart, JC-listers, you huddled masses on the PATH train, toiling in the cellars of Manhattan, doing very simple work.

You ARE important... ;)

Posted on: 2016/2/27 17:22

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017