Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Promising condos in JSQ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The outdoor pool is much nicer than 75 Liberty's indoor pool, too.

They still selling that duck pond as a pool ?

St Johns are way nicer but they price them so.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
B) 75 Liberty ave - cheapest of the condos, you can get a 2br for a decent price. Downsides 1) Location is same as canco loft b) It's not a highrise building, only a few floors, and units all require extensive renovation

I don't agree with your statement about 75 Liberty Avenue. These are condos which means they are private units not rentals. Some have been renovated with new kitchens and baths and others have not. It came online in the late 1980s, St. Johns is even older. One thing I can say about St. Johns and 75 Liberty, they both have large spaces. I have a friend who live at 75 Liberty and they have 1700 square feet for a two bedroom.

I saw a 1BR unit at 75 Liberty Street at an open house over the weekend. The location is great - 10 minute walk to the PATH and the dead-end street felt remarkably traffic free. It was pricey, though mostly it needed cosmetic work. I had a hard time getting past the tiny windows and acoustic tile ceilings.

My realtor is reaching out to see if any smaller 1BRs may come on the market at St. John's - I much prefer the design of the units, with those huge modern-style windows, and while dated the un-renovated apartments I've viewed on-line have good bones. The outdoor pool is much nicer than 75 Liberty's indoor pool, too.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/13 14:37
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

The points on real estate agents is correct, they are whores chasing a commission, use them the same way toilet paper is used and when able cut them out of the picture.

Hysterical - this quote never gets old! /end sarcasm. I'm an agent and if I was in it just for the money, this job would suck. Way too many things happen that are out of my control and often deals fall apart (no commission!). I love my job because it really is about helping people. Money is a byproduct that anyone needs to survive, but the really successful agents like to help people. Real estate is dependent on referrals and anyone can smell when someone is chasing a commission.

Back to the question, OP I'd look in the Lincoln Park area; there are some great prewar buildings on Kennedy Blvd, Kensington Ave, Bentley Ave, etc. Every unit I've seen at 75 Liberty has been a disaster, requiring a lot of work.

The new construction on Fleet is nicely done, but the least expensive unit there (a one bed) is almost $400k. It does include parking, but those are downtown prices.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 23:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding real estate agents, ugh. I've been looking to buy for the past year+, and seriously, I believe none of them really care (at least when representing the buyer). My first agent was totally useless, so I tried a couple others after further research and word of mouth recommendation (none of them really did anything for me, though).
I was (still am) using Redfin (redfin.com) to see what was getting listed and what was getting sold/under contract etc, and would always be asking to see a place before my agent ever got wind of it coming onto the market, so finally just started using a Redfin agent as well, and they've been great. Their website is by far the most up to date. Things linger on other sites well after they're already under contract...
The Redfin agent I have is great, and they're always available for anything. Read up on how they work - it's interesting.

As far as condos go, there's a new construction, smaller development that is about a 10 minute walk from JSQ. It backs onto Rt.139, so not sure about the problems/issues that would go along with that, but perhaps the smaller studio unit is something in your interest/price range. It's listed as 65 Fleet Street/Fleet Manor. I checked out their open house and the model unit looked nice enough.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I've always wondered whether 75 Liberty was an older loft building that was stuccoed over when it was turned into condos - it's outside of my price range, though. St. John's had some studios sold recently that were my price point - a high floor, with lots of light and an NYC view would make up for the smaller space.

Canco is out of the question, even though of all the buildings it really is the most authentic re-use of an old industrial building and I've always loved it. I would appreciate further input on smaller, older buildings - I'm probably an atypical JC buyer in that my needs are more modest than most - I don't need doormen, parking, a W/D in the unit, etc. Could something along the lines of 3029 JFK end up being a good investment if bought at the right price and appropriate improvements put in? If JSQ continues to develop as everyone says it is, there should be a demand for modestly priced units - hopefully not everyone who moves here is working in finance!

Posted on: 2016/2/19 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I liked living at 75 Liberty - but I wouldn't buy there at this time.

Just recently talked to an old neighbor at Christmas - a long time owner - and the board is a complete mess. There's all kinds of hinky stuff going on in that building and unless you like drama, keep it to renting there until they can straighten out their messes.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The OP made showed a unit that may have been establishing his budget , 135 Van Wegenan Avenue, - St Johns and at the other mentioned are well above that.

The points on real estate agents is correct, they are whores chasing a commission, use them the same way toilet paper is used and when able cut them out of the picture.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
B) 75 Liberty ave - cheapest of the condos, you can get a 2br for a decent price. Downsides 1) Location is same as canco loft b) It's not a highrise building, only a few floors, and units all require extensive renovation

I don't agree with your statement about 75 Liberty Avenue. These are condos which means they are private units not rentals. Some have been renovated with new kitchens and baths and others have not. It came online in the late 1980s, St. Johns is even older. One thing I can say about St. Johns and 75 Liberty, they both have large spaces. I have a friend who live at 75 Liberty and they have 1700 square feet for a two bedroom.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Wishful_Thinking wrote: I'm looking to put my condo in the Heights on the market, and buy in JSQ - my #1 goal is to be within a 10 minute walk from PATH (of course, getting into a promising market with real upside is also very compelling!). I've line up a smart, knowledgeable realtor - who seems to know both markets - to help me, and have some inventory to look at. What I would appreciate at this stage is people's insights, suggestions, and experience with is what blocks or buildings possibly to focus on; whether it makes sense to consider smaller, older walk-ups that may need more work but have more space; and if people know anything about particular buildings. For instance, there are 3 units for sale at 135 Van Wegenan Avenue, a story walk-up. Thanks, for any and all feedback!
1) " I've line up a smart, knowledgeable realtor" - meaningless, only thing that matters to them is a sale and commission. Use a realtor as a telephone between you and the seller, do not base your decision on anything the realtor tells you as fact. Always perform your own dd, whether it's the building, hoa, etc.. 2) I know the area very well, your choice for condos near jsq path that are walkable is very limited and as follows A) Canco loft - The newest and most luxury construction. Downsides 1) price is well above area average (rule#2 never buy the most expensive property in the area) 2) location is not great right by the highway near an industrial area and a decent walk to the path 3) bigger issue is the condo fees are very high, which affects the overall property value. B) 75 Liberty ave - cheapest of the condos, you can get a 2br for a decent price. Downsides 1) Location is same as canco loft b) It's not a highrise building, only a few floors, and units all require extensive renovation C) St Johns (201/225 st pauls, 10 huron) - closest to the path, highrise doorman condo, cheaper condo fees, middle price point. Downsides 1) Although lobby/hallways are all renovated recently, units are still old, unless you buy new renovated, expect to perform a full renovation. 2) no washer/dryer in the unit. Conclusion - i agree with yvonne (wow!), st john is the best bang for the buck near jsq path. There are also few walkup / <10 unit buildings that are nothing more than a large house. I would not consider them if you are looking for a condo, unless price is the only factor.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You should look at St. John' Apts.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
homepath.com

this where deals can had, move quick and get a deposit in on anything that catches your eye

often a major pain in the ass to buy these properties but if your financing is lined up and you're within budget, the plays are here

Posted on: 2016/2/19 17:10

Promising condos in JSQ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking to put my condo in the Heights on the market, and buy in JSQ - my #1 goal is to be within a 10 minute walk from PATH (of course, getting into a promising market with real upside is also very compelling!). I've line up a smart, knowledgeable realtor - who seems to know both markets - to help me, and have some inventory to look at.

What I would appreciate at this stage is people's insights, suggestions, and experience with is what blocks or buildings possibly to focus on; whether it makes sense to consider smaller, older walk-ups that may need more work but have more space; and if people know anything about particular buildings. For instance, there are 3 units for sale at 135 Van Wegenan Avenue, a story walk-up.

Thanks, for any and all feedback!

Posted on: 2016/2/19 16:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017