Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Man Is Arrested After Drone Hits Empire State Building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Well... thanks to stupid, reckless people like this d-bag they have finally suspended the sale of drones to the public. Good job jerk; mission accomplished.

Where did you hear that? This was in the news a few days ago:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/25/faa-ma ... ions-on-drone-flying.html

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Well... thanks to stupid, reckless people like this d-bag they have finally suspended the sale of drones to the public. Good job jerk; mission accomplished.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think drones are kind of fun (and I'm looking forward to the day when Amazon delivers stuff to me with them) but this guy really did endanger people. He's obviously an amateur, and that's one of the busiest areas in the city. Locking him up seems a bit extreme, but a hefty fine seems in order.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Radio controlled planes and helicopters obviously aren?t new, but the technology used in these new machines makes them much easier to fly and is such low maintenance that they have a broader appeal among casual users who would otherwise be put off by the skill and discipline required by earlier RC aircraft. It seems likely that unskilled operators relying heavily on technology, particularly young males in toy-induced stupid-mode (been there, done that), stand a fair chance of getting into trouble doing the wrong things in the wrong places.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
And that software is constantly hacked to remove the restrictions.

And a 3lb object falling from a few hundred feet up onto a city street can kill someone. The guy got lucky it got stuck on a ledge during the fall. If it hit the facade lower down, it could easily have severely injured someone.

There have been several drone related injuries..

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/ ... 014-12-12-bk_2014_50.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/d ... 6-d27422650fd5_story.html

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/0 ... njuring-baby-in-pasadena/

Posted on: 2016/2/16 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Who takes a drone into NYC to fly around unless he is doing something nefarious?

Relax guy, did it ever occur to you that flying a drone is just fun? You must be a hoot at parties.

Ha ha ha...I get it...a hoot at parties!!!!
Seriously... I agree with papadage that the guy must be totally self-absorbed . It's a DANGEROUS thing for an amateur to be doing in a populated area. Someone could have gotten injured.

Crossing the street in NYC is more dangerous than flying a drone in it.

Agreed. All these people fear mongering about drones are just being luddites. Drones are harmless, and the vast majority are super light. The nicer, pricier models used for video and photography, such as the Phantom quadcopters, are more substantial in weight but even those only weigh in at ~3 lbs.

Harmless as long as they stay away from the airports. As far as I am concerned, they should be jammed near the airports so they can't get into the path of the aircraft. I don't care if they fly anywhere else.

Drones are banned within 5 miles of an airport, which is really quite substantial, as it is measured "as the crow flies". Pretty much all of Bayonne is a no fly zone, and most of western JC. In fact, when adding together the ban in LSP and the EWR no-fly zone, the only area in JC where flying drones is legal is DTJC.

FYI, advanced drones (the ones that can reach higher altitudes) are controlled with software that usually runs on devices such as iPads and iPhones and which are continually updated with known, published no-fly zones. The software will not even allow you to get your drone off the ground if it determines you are in a no-fly zone.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Who takes a drone into NYC to fly around unless he is doing something nefarious?

Relax guy, did it ever occur to you that flying a drone is just fun? You must be a hoot at parties.

Seriously... I agree with papadage that the guy must be totally self-absorbed . It's a DANGEROUS thing for an amateur to be doing in a populated area. Someone could have gotten injured.

Agreed. All these people fear mongering about drones are just being luddites. Drones are harmless, and the vast majority are super light. The nicer, pricier models used for video and photography, such as the Phantom quadcopters, are more substantial in weight but even those only weigh in at ~3 lbs.

Harmless as long as they stay away from the airports. As far as I am concerned, they should be jammed near the airports so they can't get into the path of the aircraft. I don't care if they fly anywhere else.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/15 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/15 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Not Part of Video’s Script: An Arrest for Flying a Drone

Posted on: 2016/2/15 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/11 6:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:

That. Plus, aerial photography is a legitimate use of drones and quadcopters.

Posted on: 2016/2/8 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/8 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Self-absorbed clueless assholes and libertards.

Posted on: 2016/2/8 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/7 6:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I was sitting on a bench at the South end of the esplanade at Liberty State Park when a couple of Bros launched a big loud drone and flew it directly towards the Statue of Liberty, flying it directly over the heads of all of us on the pathway. About 30' offshore the drone's engines cut out and it speared down into the water instantly, from a height of probably 50'. If it had hit someone it certainly would have messed them up, it was big and moving fast.
I wondered then and still wonder now if Liberty Island has radio jammers that prevent drone overflights? it would make sense in a sort of paranoid way. I myself am not supper worried about getting hit by one but I do see why civil authorities are stepping in to regulate them.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I suppose the ban is in place to protect LSP guests from getting hit by idiots who fly their drones into the ESB. 40 floors? I guess his string broke? ( sarcasm ) Kites really?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Heard this on the news this morning. Didn't know the guy was from JC. Well, I guess we finally did something worthy of reporting on WNYC.

I listen to WNYC daily, and I am often pleasantly surprised at the decent amount of coverage drawn by JC.

About the drone, this is something that I have been meaning to ask in JCLIST and keep forgetting to do so: does anyone know why drones are now banned in LSP? I was just at Maritime Parc a few days ago and was surprised to see the huge electronic billboard at the park's entrance announcing the banning of drones at LSP.

It smacks of kowtowing to the hysteria of some. If the concern is devices up in the air could somehow pose a danger to people or aircrafts, what about kites? If the concern is noise (and, really, drones aren't that loud!) what about all the boomboxes and speakers that are cranked up by weekend patrons grilling in the park?

EDIT: I looked it up online. Turns out this is a blanket ban by the State of NJ on ALL state parks. Flying drones is otherwise allowed in JC city parks, as long as you stay clear of the airport 5-miles no-fly zones.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 16:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Gayle thinks banning drones is just part of Homeland Security's attempt to safeguard the Statue of Liberty, Ellis island, the Train Station, along with the crowded group tour type of events. It is an attempt to disrupt any planning of any such attacks, but I asked her why since the park service now has internet user cams right on top of the Statue. Since she is on the news, she always thinks she's the expert on such things!

Posted on: 2016/2/5 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Heard this on the news this morning. Didn't know the guy was from JC. Well, I guess we finally did something worthy of reporting on WNYC.

I listen to WNYC daily, and I am often pleasantly surprised at the decent amount of coverage drawn by JC.

About the drone, this is something that I have been meaning to ask in JCLIST and keep forgetting to do so: does anyone know why drones are now banned in LSP? I was just at Maritime Parc a few days ago and was surprised to see the huge electronic billboard at the park's entrance announcing the banning of drones at LSP.

It smacks of kowtowing to the hysteria of some. If the concern is devices up in the air could somehow pose a danger to people or aircrafts, what about kites? If the concern is noise (and, really, drones aren't that loud!) what about all the boomboxes and speakers that are cranked up by weekend patrons grilling in the park?

EDIT: I looked it up online. Turns out this is a blanket ban by the State of NJ on ALL state parks. Flying drones is otherwise allowed in JC city parks, as long as you stay clear of the airport 5-miles no-fly zones.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/5 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
"The device fell from the sky after striking the building, landing on a ledge four floors down. Mr. Riddle then entered the building to ask security guards for help.

The guards agreed to help, but called the police instead. The police said they did not know if the drone was ever retrieved from the ledge."

Tricky guards...

Posted on: 2016/2/5 6:15

Jersey City Man Is Arrested After Drone Hits Empire State Building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

New Jersey Man Is Arrested After Drone Hits Empire State Building

A New Jersey man who accidentally flew a drone into the Empire State Building was arrested on Thursday after he asked security guards there for help retrieving it from a ledge on the famed skyscraper’s 36th floor, the police said.

Sean Riddle, 27, of Jersey City, was arrested shortly before 8 p.m. on Thursday on charges of reckless endangerment and avigation in and over New York City, a charge the police apply in cases related to the navigation of an aircraft.

The police said that Mr. Riddle was flying his drone in Midtown Manhattan on Thursday when it crashed into the building’s 40th floor.

The device fell from the sky after striking the building, landing on a ledge four floors down. Mr. Riddle then entered the building to ask security guards for help.

The guards agreed to help, but called the police instead. The police said they did not know if the drone was ever retrieved from the ledge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/nyr ... -state-building.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2016/2/5 6:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017