Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NYTimes - The Hunt: In Jersey City, a Room of Her Own (Well with 2 sisters)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Sighs, I hope this girl knows she is blatantly advertising breaking occupancy regulations. Although I doubt LeFrak cares. 3 single adults living in a 1 bd apartment (and most of those high rise 1bd's are 700-800 sq ft) is pretty abysmal.

I used to live in Montgomery Towers and that building frequently posted public notices about NJ state occupancy rules and how the violations in the building were a health hazard... and how the building couldn't properly exterminate and fumigate because all the violators refused to allow the exterminators in. It got quite disgusting by the time I moved out.

I personally hope the state/city starts cracking down on blatant violations... that will help lower the rents slightly in the high rises

A huge portion of Newport lives like this. In fact, 3 adults in a 1 bedroom isn't anything special for Newport. When I lived there it was a major problem because you would have lines at the elevators, for packages, etc. And of course the sort of people that are cool living on a cot in a hallway aren't the best of neighbors. Made for a horrible environment and I can't imagine why anyone would live there. I got out very quickly.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 16:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sighs, I hope this girl knows she is blatantly advertising breaking occupancy regulations. Although I doubt LeFrak cares. 3 single adults living in a 1 bd apartment (and most of those high rise 1bd's are 700-800 sq ft) is pretty abysmal.

I used to live in Montgomery Towers and that building frequently posted public notices about NJ state occupancy rules and how the violations in the building were a health hazard... and how the building couldn't properly exterminate and fumigate because all the violators refused to allow the exterminators in. It got quite disgusting by the time I moved out.

I personally hope the state/city starts cracking down on blatant violations... that will help lower the rents slightly in the high rises

Posted on: 2016/1/25 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Let's hope when she settles in, her box is nice and comfy.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
She has got to be kidding. For what she is paying for space in the living room & sharing everything else with perfect strangers, she could find her own studio or small apartment in the Heights or any other up & coming area of Jersey City. And to do this on Craigslist? Puhleeze.

It is not at all uncommon. I know several people who share apartments (or have done so in the past) with 3 or 4 other people. I think it is nuts, and would never do it myself (I prize my space and privacy) but this younger generation has eschewed those things in exchange for other more things they deem more important, like a BK address, or a residence in a high rise.

This has been going on for decades in the NYC area. Most people in their 20s I knew 20-25 years ago lived like this in the NYC area. We eschewed space and privacy and Brooklyn for the Manhattan address. It has nothing to do with a specific generation.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
....this younger generation has eschewed those things in exchange for other more things they deem more important, like a BK address, or a residence in a high rise.

"Younger generation?" People have done this for decades, and it's usually out of economic necessity rather than desiring a fancy address.

Quote:
A friend of mine recently mused that the rise of popularity of AirBnB and other sharing services is because so many millennials do not care for privacy and complete ownership of something, so they are OK with total strangers living in a spare bedroom....

What nonsense. If AirBnB was available 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, it would be just as popular.

Many AirBnB hosts own their units, or are older. The age of guests also varies. Lots of the time, the guest has the place to themselves; JC probably has about 100 units like that, at any given time. Some units are run by "professional hosts," they only own the unit to rent it out.

By the way, there are roughly 80 million Millennials, with a huge variety of backgrounds. The idea that they all share the same values, and attitudes towards privacy, is equally as ridiculous as the idea that all the Baby Boomers act the same, and behave substantially differently than other generations based on some intrinsic characteristics.

Agreed that claiming that ALL share the same value is hogwash. But, I think it is fair (and, accurate) to reach certain general conclusions about generations based on data and observations. So, to describe baby boomers as being X way does not mean that ALL of them feel or share X, but that enough of them do to be a valid generalization that provides insight / understanding into that group.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
....this younger generation has eschewed those things in exchange for other more things they deem more important, like a BK address, or a residence in a high rise.

"Younger generation?" People have done this for decades, and it's usually out of economic necessity rather than desiring a fancy address.

Totally agree, when I was out of school I didn't own many things, my clothes and a TV so I didn't need room for lots of possessions. I was not ready to settle down in one place and wanted to be flexible for any opportunities that presented itself.

Many young people also prefer to have opportunities for interaction with their piers as they build their social networks. This type of living arrangement does that.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Quote:
A friend of mine recently mused that the rise of popularity of AirBnB and other sharing services is because so many millennials do not care for privacy and complete ownership of something, so they are OK with total strangers living in a spare bedroom....

What nonsense. If AirBnB was available 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, it would be just as popular.

Many AirBnB hosts own their units, or are older. The age of guests also varies. Lots of the time, the guest has the place to themselves; JC probably has about 100 units like that, at any given time. Some units are run by "professional hosts," they only own the unit to rent it out.

By the way, there are roughly 80 million Millennials, with a huge variety of backgrounds. The idea that they all share the same values, and attitudes towards privacy, is equally as ridiculous as the idea that all the Baby Boomers act the same, and behave substantially differently than other generations based on some intrinsic characteristics.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
She has got to be kidding. For what she is paying for space in the living room & sharing everything else with perfect strangers, she could find her own studio or small apartment in the Heights or any other up & coming area of Jersey City. And to do this on Craigslist? Puhleeze.

It is not at all uncommon. I know several people who share apartments (or have done so in the past) with 3 or 4 other people. I think it is nuts, and would never do it myself (I prize my space and privacy) but this younger generation has eschewed those things in exchange for other more things they deem more important, like a BK address, or a residence in a high rise. A friend of mine recently mused that the rise of popularity of AirBnB and other sharing services is because so many millennials do not care for privacy and complete ownership of something, so they are OK with total strangers living in a spare bedroom, or renting out their places over weekends and couch surfing with friends. Again, different people, different priorities, so to each their own.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/24 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I'm suspect she could have found a duplex in a brownstone to share with only one roommate in her price range.

You missed the entire point of the article... she didn't want to find a nice place to live for ~1,000, she wanted to find a place in a high rise in her price range.

?Everybody told me you will never be able to afford a high-rise,? she said. But, she thought, ?If one miracle happened to me? ? landing a job ? ?maybe another miracle will happen, too.?

How anyone equates living like sardines, with two roommates sharing the living room, and all three sharing a single bathroom, to a miracle is beyond me... but, different people, different desires/needs.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm suspect she could have found a duplex in a brownstone to share with only one roommate in her price range.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
?I don?t really need any common space,? she said. The building?s lounge functions as a living room for times when she has visitors. From the roof terrace, the view of Manhattan is superb.

This is why the micro unit developments are a good idea. It's a different lifestyle.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Typical

Posted on: 2016/1/24 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Wow - $1000 for a room, and shared bathroom!!!

As a homeowner, I guess I should be happy that it's getting so expensive in JC???

Posted on: 2016/1/23 23:53

NYTimes - The Hunt: In Jersey City, a Room of Her Own (Well with 2 sisters)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

In Jersey City, a Room of Her Own

NYTimes - The Hunt
By JOYCE COHEN
JAN. 21, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/rea ... ty-a-room-of-her-own.html

...?Everybody told me you will never be able to afford a high-rise,? she said. But, she thought, ?If one miracle happened to me? ? landing a job ? ?maybe another miracle will happen, too.?

She visited the Atlantic, a high-rise in Jersey City?s Newport section, where the bedroom in a one-bedroom apartment was available for $1,050 a month. Two sisters shared the large living room, which was divided with a shoji screen. The sisters paid the balance of the $2,535-a-month rent.

Ms. Tsultsumova liked it a lot, and the roommates seemed nice. ?We had a great conversation,? she said. ?We tried to understand each other?s requirements. I am a pretty quiet person. I don?t have parties. It is very important to have a conversation, so you can see if the person is your kind of person.?

The roommates required two months? notice of departure. The flexibility suited Ms. Tsultsumova, since she might at some point leave for business school. Other places required a 12-month commitment.

She was pretty sure she would find nothing better, but wanted to check out the next day?s lineup, just in case.

In a two-bedroom in the Gotham, a high-rise on Warren Street in downtown Jersey City, a monthly rent of $1,050 would get her a ?converted living room.? That turned out to mean part of the room was curtained off.

?It kind of bothered me there was a curtain,? she said. ?I appreciate having a door,? which at least meant privacy on the phone.

Through Craigslist, she had arranged to team up with a man who was looking for an apartment to share. ?It was a stranger, but he turned out to be a very nice person,? she said. Together they saw a two-bedroom at the Lincoln on 10th Street, a mid-rise building in the Hamilton Park neighborhood of Jersey City for $3,200 a month.

They agreed that if they took it, Ms. Tsultsumova would get the master bedroom and bathroom and pay $1,250 a month. Her roommate would have the second bedroom. But they would need a third person to occupy the living room.

?It?s a job to find a person,? she said. ?I would rather not have that kind of headache.? Furthermore, she decided the price was high and she did not want to be locked into a lease.

The apartment in the first high-rise she had seen, the Atlantic, appeared the best option by far. Ms. Tsultsumova moved in last summer, taking her belongings out of campus storage and hiring ?a strong guy with a pickup truck? to help.

Her roommates had some furniture for her to use, including a cot, a table, a lamp and a chair. She pays another $50 a month for utilities and a housekeeper who cleans twice a month.

The infrastructure she wanted is right downstairs. Her home is within walking distance of work and the Newport Center mall, where she likes to shop and window-shop.

?I don?t really need any common space,? she said. The building?s lounge functions as a living room for times when she has visitors. From the roof terrace, the view of Manhattan is superb.

The skyline ?is priceless when I have guests from Russia,? she said. ?My friends have a million-dollar view.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/rea ... ty-a-room-of-her-own.html

Posted on: 2016/1/23 22:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017