Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Thank Ryan. . . folks, my post was merged into an old post, I am looking for people who been inside and had a drink, saw a show, etc?what are their opinions and comments, good, bad, etc.. not interested if you can hear noise from the music two blocks away, thanks.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 20:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Anybody been, comments, reviews, just walked by . . . saw the website, not sure what to make. Bar looks nice. Located at 150 Bay St.

Yep its usually fun, bar in the front room with dj and the back room has a dance floor. Kind of expensive, like $8 for a Corona, good place to end the night for good music/dancing

Posted on: 2016/3/26 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I guess it makes sense that the problem is not at street level, but above. I would think NYC has a history of similar issues. But yes, we live on the 10th floor, 4 floors or more than the other buildings in the area and we hear dogs, cars, kids playing, even routinely can hear a neighboring wind chimes, in addition to fire trucks, ambulances etc. Noise clearly rises. when we lived on a street with brick row homes and tenements, the upper floors were always noisier too.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
This is a residential, not a commercial neighborhood.

... no it isn't. Every single building in that little area is first floor commercial / industrial.

Of course there are businesses in 150 Bay - it's a mixed use building. BUT it does have 90 residential units on the top floors. It is a concrete structure. The sound that travels within the building from Club Transmission is terrible. The residents - all the way up to the top floor above the club - can hear when it opens, identify songs being played and will finally be able to sleep without sleep aids once it's closed for the night at 3a. It's not that it patrons can be noisy outside the club; no one complains on the street that the club music is too loud - BUT it was not properly soundproofed in the interior and the bass of the nightclub music travels throughout the interior structure.

If 150 Bay was an exclusively commercial building, there would be no tenants at night complaining of the sound/bass issues until 3a.

But Newmark, the landlord, has rented this space out to Club Transmission and had no idea that it was not sound-proofed properly. No respect for its residents. IF your downstairs neighbor threw dance club parties every weekend with the music blasting through the columns/walls and floors - you'd complain to the landlord, the people making the noise and eventually calling the police. This happens EVERY weekend. Newmark recently told the tenants that it would pay for half of the cost to soundproof it properly. They are aware of the problems now. BUT until the issue is fixed the residents in this building take sleep aids, turn on the white noise machines or finally get some peace and quiet when Transmission closes at 2a weekdays and 3a on the weekends.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
This is a residential, not a commercial neighborhood.

... no it isn't. Every single building in that little area is first floor commercial / industrial.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 14:39

Transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody been, comments, reviews, just walked by . . . saw the website, not sure what to make. Bar looks nice. Located at 150 Bay St.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 21:18

Edited by DouglasReynholm on 2016/3/25 21:46:51
Reason: Adding address of club

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Ive been to the club several times, when I go directly out the front door on the porch area I have never noticed the music being loud, their back room is soundproofed, only the front dj stand would be possible to hear from outside.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Just the acknowledgment that you all live a block away and hear the club shows that it is louder than it should be. Those of us that live in the building up 8 floors and across street up 7 floors can hear the music transition to the next song while deep inside our apartments. No sound-proofing of the DJ/Bar space was done. All glass walls, no sound absorption on the walls and concrete floors makes for a bad situation to control the noise, especially the bass. If they closed at midnight I wouldn't care, but they're open until 3am - full blast. The owner is attempting to fix it, but he didn't think ahead and do it before he opened up.

They were shutdown Friday for fire code violations, noise above legal limits measured by city officials and several ABC law violations.

Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

... I will just add that I live a block from this place. Sometimes, I can hear a faint din of music and bass, but it has never bothered me....

Yep, about a block away myself and any noise is barely noticeable outside on the balcony and completely nonexistent inside the apartment. Maybe if you're in the building on the second or third floor you'd be able to hear it some, but across the street it's barely a thing.

By all means, ignore the part where we both started that the noise is barely perceptible while walking right past the place. As for hearing noise from a block away, you are also ignoring the descriptions provided (faint din). To be honest, I hear traffic too, at about the same level.

But, if the officers came out and they got cited for noise above legal limits, I would hope that was actually measured appropriately and fairly. As for the ABC violations, I am not surprised, but only because I know (based on the story I related earlier) that enforcement is being stepped up.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just the acknowledgment that you all live a block away and hear the club shows that it is louder than it should be. Those of us that live in the building up 8 floors and across street up 7 floors can hear the music transition to the next song while deep inside our apartments. No sound-proofing of the DJ/Bar space was done. All glass walls, no sound absorption on the walls and concrete floors makes for a bad situation to control the noise, especially the bass. If they closed at midnight I wouldn't care, but they're open until 3am - full blast. The owner is attempting to fix it, but he didn't think ahead and do it before he opened up.

They were shutdown Friday for fire code violations, noise above legal limits measured by city officials and several ABC law violations.

Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

... I will just add that I live a block from this place. Sometimes, I can hear a faint din of music and bass, but it has never bothered me....

Yep, about a block away myself and any noise is barely noticeable outside on the balcony and completely nonexistent inside the apartment. Maybe if you're in the building on the second or third floor you'd be able to hear it some, but across the street it's barely a thing.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

This, exactly. The area is a constant construction zone (for the moment) and it is zoned for mixed use. To complain about bars, and a "lounge", seems a bit silly given that the area is intended to host those kind of businesses alongside residential apartments. And, before I am told that I have to experience it to understand, I will just add that I live a block from this place. Sometimes, I can hear a faint din of music and bass, but it has never bothered me, and it is definitely not something that noticeable.

It always surprises me to hear things like that (it's even more frequent and annoying in Manhattan) - people, you are living in an urban, mixed-use district. There is going to be noise. There are residential-only areas of JC, but please don't ruin the vibrancy for those of us who specifically don't want that, and thus chose our homes because of the fact that they are in these louder, more lively mixed-use areas.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Not exactly happy with this new edition to our neighborhood. This is a residential, not a commercial neighborhood. Who thought a nightclub would be good a idea when there are so many residents willing to call the police for any commotion - in addition to the constant drone of bass of the DJ music (ointz, ointz, ointz) - so annoying and it travels into all the apartments above and across the street. It would be better suited to move the nightclub into the commercial buildings near the waterfront away from people trying to sleep.

This place sounds like a nightmare.
And I sympathize with your having to hear the noise.
But unless I'm misunderstanding where it's located, isn't it in the Powerhouse Arts District?
That's a mixed use district intended for apartments above all kids of activities on the street, including music venues. I realize it hasn't gotten there yet, so this might not be evident to the average Joe.
But, if the noise gets bad enough that you need to move, consider someplace like Paulus Hook, etc. that are zoned for residential. It's a crappy way to learn that lesson, I know.

This, exactly. The area is a constant construction zone (for the moment) and it is zoned for mixed use. To complain about bars, and a "lounge", seems a bit silly given that the area is intended to host those kind of businesses alongside residential apartments. And, before I am told that I have to experience it to understand, I will just add that I live a block from this place. Sometimes, I can hear a faint din of music and bass, but it has never bothered me, and it is definitely not something that noticeable. I have walked past the place MANY TIMES on Friday and Saturday nights, while walking my dog, and I have always wondered how come it isn't louder, since it really is not that noticeable, even when walking right across it on the adjacent streets. If I had to guess, I would say that the undercover action was probably due to the serving of alcohol without asking for IDs to verify a patron's age. Just the other day, a bartender turned pale white when I reached into my bag to hand over my credit card as she was handing me a beer. She never asked for an ID before pouring my beer, and didn't ask me for a credit card when handing it over, so when she saw me reach into my bag she thought I was an undercover agent about to flash my badge before busting her. She then explained that they have been cracking down and busting bartenders for not asking for ID before serving patrons.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Not exactly happy with this new edition to our neighborhood. This is a residential, not a commercial neighborhood. Who thought a nightclub would be good a idea when there are so many residents willing to call the police for any commotion - in addition to the constant drone of bass of the DJ music (ointz, ointz, ointz) - so annoying and it travels into all the apartments above and across the street. It would be better suited to move the nightclub into the commercial buildings near the waterfront away from people trying to sleep.

This place sounds like a nightmare.
And I sympathize with your having to hear the noise.
But unless I'm misunderstanding where it's located, isn't it in the Powerhouse Arts District?
That's a mixed use district intended for apartments above all kids of activities on the street, including music venues. I realize it hasn't gotten there yet, so this might not be evident to the average Joe.
But, if the noise gets bad enough that you need to move, consider someplace like Paulus Hook, etc. that are zoned for residential. It's a crappy way to learn that lesson, I know.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
All $15 drinks to is cauce people to find alternative methods of getting high. The cops will be here more then at the sandbar. I don't see this place around long. At lest they have done the renovation for the next place.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Police officers and undercover cops swooped into the neighborhood last night around 130a. Swarmed around the club entrance and shut the place down last night. Not sure what the cause was, but a nice quiet end to a Friday night.

Posted on: 2015/12/12 17:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 18:03
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
i'm super excited to hear this club is opening - i'm a huge house/techno fan and am constantly commuting to brooklyn for events. it will be great to have somewhere local to hear the music and dance. my favorite venues in brooklyn (output, verboten) put the emphasis on the music, have quality sound systems, and are inclusive of a diverse crowd (no bottle service, dress code, etc) - if club transmission follows the same idea, i think it will be a great addition to the downtown community.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who pretty much never goes to clubs, this is looking more and more interesting. Less of the "scene" type club and more of the music and dance type. Could be a really cool addition to the neighborhood, and to the nightlife scene here in general.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

New Jersey City venue Transmission giving club experience a warm, welcoming makeover

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
July 31, 2015 at 12:58 PM

After years of partying at hot, crowded and impersonal clubs, Howard Brunner decided he had enough.

Looking to revolutionize the club experience, the Jersey City resident is opening Transmission, a 5,000-square-foot bar, lounge and performance space in the Powerhouse Arts District. While it has all the regular fixings of some of NYC's most popular spots, the new venue aims to make going to the club a funner, more comfortable and intimate experience.

Transmission is Brunner's house party, currently pumping Thursdays through Saturdays. The rules are simple: you can wear anything, as long as you're the "best version of yourself." And everyone is a VIP -- "That'a a gross term," says the Sydney, Australia, native. "Everyone here is very important."

Step into the club and you're greeted by a DJ in the front lounge, Brunner's way of showing that Transmission is "all about music."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sion_giving_club_exp.html

Posted on: 2015/7/31 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I just clicked on this thread thinking it was about auto repair. Nevermind.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I'll never understand why clubs do that.

If you hand me a 15 dollar mixed drink in a dixie cup, that ends my night of drinking in your establishment. You got me for the 15, but you could have had me for 50 if you'd just fucked me a little less up front. You'd have also gotten it on the back end when I actually came back instead of telling all my friends that it was a rip off and we should stick around Newark Ave instead.

Not saying Transmission is this bad, but the rock/dance clubs in the city are. I don't understand the business model.

YOU just won the internet. Thank you sir, thank you.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I'll never understand why clubs do that.

If you hand me a 15 dollar mixed drink in a dixie cup, that ends my night of drinking in your establishment. You got me for the 15, but you could have had me for 50 if you'd just fucked me a little less up front. You'd have also gotten it on the back end when I actually came back instead of telling all my friends that it was a rip off and we should stick around Newark Ave instead.

Not saying Transmission is this bad, but the rock/dance clubs in the city are. I don't understand the business model.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ryanicole81 wrote:
I agree regarding prices being way too high, that is the main reason why I had one drink and called it a night. But also, I am pretty sure they are going for the music venue/dance club type of vibe, which is always over priced on drinks. Its def a place that I will frequent only very rarely due to prices. Id rather spend $50 on a nice dinner than a few drinks at a club

Agreed that bars that have live music will often charge a higher price, but they also intend to charge a cover for the club room, which should cover the costs of getting in some bands and/or marketing the event. In any case, I will check it out at some point, just so I can see it for myself. Just not sure I will be patronizing it often.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 16:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I agree regarding prices being way too high, that is the main reason why I had one drink and called it a night. But also, I am pretty sure they are going for the music venue/dance club type of vibe, which is always over priced on drinks. Its def a place that I will frequent only very rarely due to prices. Id rather spend $50 on a nice dinner than a few drinks at a club

Posted on: 2015/7/27 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ryanicole81 wrote:
Nothing fancy beer wise, I asked what the choices were and the bartender listed 5 or 6, regular stuff like Bud, Corona, etc. I did not read the cocktail menu but my friends that ordered mixed drinks had vodka and tonics and rum n cokes. I am pretty sure the cocktail list just had basics but I could be wrong

Yikes. If this is accurate, that is a total FAIL on their part. I get that it is not a craft beer bar, but I think there is enough good beer available on bottle that any decent bar would be well advised to at least go with higher quality stuff, especially if they are charging $6 - $8 per bottle. Also, if they are serving $15 cocktails, and they are just mixing rum and coke, or vodka and tonic, those are way, way overpriced. Dullboy serves extremely excellent craft cocktails, using premium alcohol and fresh ingredients, and they charge $11 - $13.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 13:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing fancy beer wise, I asked what the choices were and the bartender listed 5 or 6, regular stuff like Bud, Corona, etc. I did not read the cocktail menu but my friends that ordered mixed drinks had vodka and tonics and rum n cokes. I am pretty sure the cocktail list just had basics but I could be wrong

Posted on: 2015/7/27 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any info about what brands of beer were available? How about cocktails? Or was it just bare bones kind of stuff...

Posted on: 2015/7/27 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

$13=15ish for mixed and around $8 for a bottled beer.

$8 for a bottle? Damn.

Guess I won't make the trip.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wish them well however I hope they have done their homework and understand the demographics of JC and who they are targeting as patrons!

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/3436000.html
as long as they keep out the heavy metal and hip hop crowds, they should probably do ok

Lol lol the Heavy Metal crowd is either 16 and can't get in or 42-50 and don't want in.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 1:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Checked this place out last night, it has a nice bar with lounge
and dj booth up front and live music space in a rear room.
Very cool vibe here and great music. In addition to my group
there seemed to only be one other group there but it was still
early in the night when I left, (just before midnight).
Drinks are priced like clubs in Manhattan,
$13=15ish for mixed and around $8 for a bottled beer.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Joy Division...is this a club for people in their 50s?

Posted on: 2015/6/24 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's a great place for a club/performing arts place. I just hope there is a good dose of live rock, as EDM isn't really my thing.

The expressed lack of craft beer is not that exciting, though. In 2015, craft beer isn't pretentious or niche. Being a bar and saying you won't have it is like being a restaurant and saying you won't have good food.

They are a club, not a bar. Not the same thing. And most people don't drink craft beers at a club, they have mixed drinks.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 15:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017