Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The Washington Post: Dept. of Transportation offers $40M prize to most innovative mid-sized city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Back to the OP and the bigger question - all these comments reinforce the need for a unified mass transit system that responds to JC as a 24/7, interconnected city, NOT just another commuter stop.

On that - single payment system across all modes of transport (Light Rail, Path, Bus, NY Metro, park and ride, Amtrak) - with built-in easy single-trip transfers. Frequent commuter, child & senior discounts.

Something like London's Oyster card tied to Apple/Google pay.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/what-is-oyster

10-20 years from now - I shouldn't even need a card nor ticket. My smartphone should automatically detect my ride, charge me after discounts. EZ-pass for public transport if you like.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 19:09

Re: The Washington Post: Dept. of Transportation offers $40M prize to most innovative mid-sized city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

That map is cool, but really hard to tell trolleys from sewers. I can understand the streetcar issues, but taking down the elevated lines seems crazy in retrospect.

You can zoom in and just look for the lines with the solid black dots.

The elevated portions were only a very small part of the system. The only elevated portions I have found so far were in Hoboken and in the Heights.

Almost all of the trolleys ran on street level. If you look at 5 corners, you can see what a mess it would have been with the trolley and cars trying to get through that intersection.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
A lot of push for the replacement came also from store owners. The trolleys created traffic nightmares. I have a link to a map. They ran down streets that you wouldn't have enough space for both trolleys and cars.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/JCplat_book/JerseyCityIndex/index.htm

That map is cool, but really hard to tell trolleys from sewers. I can understand the streetcar issues, but taking down the elevated lines seems crazy in retrospect.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
...A lot of push for the replacement came also from store owners. The trolleys created traffic nightmares...They ran down streets that you wouldn't have enough space for both trolleys and cars.

And as a result today we have... traffic nightmares! Plus lousy mass transit, and - in the Heights, at least - a sad assortment of run down businesses interspersed with vacant storefronts.

Which, Mayor Fulop, brings me back to one of the criteria for the prize - leadership and a political/social culture that can see innovations through. The short-sighted interests of a few (in the past, business, the utilties) caused us to be in the mess we are today. How would you push for real change in making larger JC a more connected, less car-dependent, equitably developed, place?

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
The PATH trains i find pretty reliable. I use the railbandit app. As for the buses, i don't take NJ buses but on each stop sign there is a phone number to call to let you know the next bus... has anyone tried it? How reliable?

It's not bad, very heavy traffic/bad weather notwithstanding. When not on the money, it gives you a good ballpark of when the bus will arrive.

I find sending a text (most stops have not only the NJT phone #, but a # you can text the stop code to) is the most accurate. Like the APP you can download from NJ Transit (mybusnow) this information seems to be linked to the bus' GIS position, and in my experience the text/app is 90% accurate.

As HeightsBrat noted, bad traffic and weather affect this, so you may need to refresh your APP results every few minutes.\

Back to the OP and the bigger question - all these comments reinforce the need for a unified mass transit system that responds to JC as a 24/7, interconnected city, NOT just another commuter stop.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I forgot I had these bookmarked. Gives you an idea of how the old elevated system looked like.

Awesome. I was trying to find maps showing the routes that existed but couldn't. So sad this irreplaceable resource was scrapped in worship of GM et al. At least LA replaced them with freeways, we replaced them with nothing.

It wasn't GM here. It was PSE&G that replaced them with buses. It would have happened even earlier, but rubber shortages due to WWII kept the steel wheeled trolley in service longer. Buses were less expensive to run than maintaining track and catanery. In fact, they put steel wheels on some buses and had them use the tracks due to no rubber for tires (I can't find a picture of that.. I used to have one).

A lot of push for the replacement came also from store owners. The trolleys created traffic nightmares. I have a link to a map. They ran down streets that you wouldn't have enough space for both trolleys and cars.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/JCplat_book/JerseyCityIndex/index.htm

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I forgot I had these bookmarked. Gives you an idea of how the old elevated system looked like.

Awesome. I was trying to find maps showing the routes that existed but couldn't. So sad this irreplaceable resource was scrapped in worship of GM et al. At least LA replaced them with freeways, we replaced them with nothing.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

When JC had an elevated electric trolleys. Looking South on Central Ave. from the corner of Booream.

Resized Image

Another view

Posted on: 2015/12/9 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Cilento wrote:
I don't think we qualify. The population of Jersey City is less than 15 percent of the urban area.

You're probably right. They have in mind a city like Pittsburgh or Nashville that is the center of its world, not a remora to NYC's shark.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 1:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/19 18:56
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Make JC's public transportation (although I know it runs outside of JC) run like the NYC subway system instead of a commuter rail, like Amtrak/NJ Transit/Metro North.

I don't see any reason the 33rd Street to JSQ PATH should sit and smell Hoboken for several minutes on the weekends. Plenty of people take that train on off-peak hours so why not make it run its current on-peak hours all the time? Same with the light rail; it should run like it does during rush hour and not stop to just two trains per hour after 8. If you work in the city and go out for a drink or workout after work, you could get stuck waiting 30 minutes for the light rail. Also, heat lamps on the light rail platforms would be nice.

I agree about opening up the waterfront too. I'd start biking from Greenville to the PATH then; it would be safer than taking the roads. I think this commuter-train-like schedule that we currently have hurts JC because not everyone works a 9-5 and goes straight home to Bayonne or wherever after work.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 0:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think we qualify. The population of Jersey City is less than 15 percent of the urban area.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
The PATH trains i find pretty reliable. I use the railbandit app. As for the buses, i don't take NJ buses but on each stop sign there is a phone number to call to let you know the next bus... has anyone tried it? How reliable?

It's not bad, very heavy traffic/bad weather notwithstanding. When not on the money, it gives you a good ballpark of when the bus will arrive.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Another option might be Columbia ave on the Western Slope to help complete the North-South loop. Problem with the Heights is once you get north of Waverly st., a lot of the avenues become really skinny one way streets, which limits where you can have dedicated lanes.

The problem throughout the city is the half-assed layout, with breaks in what grid there is all over the place. Ideally you'd get rid of all the 2 way avenues and make them one ways, but there's not enough N-S through streets. That's why it should be Summit, clear shot the whole way, with far less commercial development than most of the similar avenues.

Oh yeah, one more thing about the BRT: the bus has a camera in front and if you're parked in the lane, instant ticket.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Messing with Central would be even harder, the business district would be apoplectic, Mr Yun would stroke out.

Another option might be Columbia ave on the Western Slope to help complete the North-South loop. Problem with the Heights is once you get north of Waverly st., a lot of the avenues become really skinny one way streets, which limits where you can have dedicated lanes.

Some of the East - West streets are really wide though like Ferry st, which had a trolley running down it at one time (now the 87 bus rt.) There is/was also a trolley right of way between Ferry and Booream, however, I think it is now considered part of peoples back yards now.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Continuing down this... Add a bike path portion to the BRT line (not the light rail portion of the bus/train).

That would take cars off Summit completely, and kill the miniscule chance the plan would ever have. You can't have everything.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Steve, one of the main problems with transit in JC is the lack of N-S routes faster than the buses which are subject to rush hr traffic. I assume back in the day trolleys filled this niche. Many have fantasized about what a subway line would do for the Heights, or even a commuter train stop where the tracks run deep under the south end of the Reservoir.

The poison pill, of course, is losing local parking along Summit. But better transit will make the Heights less car dependent.

If you changed two avenues (say Summit, part of Central and Oakland) with one for buses running North and the other South, then street parking could be preserved.

Another idea would be buses that run both on road and rail (yes.. they have been built). The bus could then transfer to the HBLR tracks.

http://www.wired.com/2008/05/half-bus-half-t/

Messing with Central would be even harder, the business district would be apoplectic, Mr Yun would stroke out.

Continuing down this... Add a bike path portion to the BRT line (not the light rail portion of the bus/train).

Posted on: 2015/12/8 21:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Steve, one of the main problems with transit in JC is the lack of N-S routes faster than the buses which are subject to rush hr traffic. I assume back in the day trolleys filled this niche. Many have fantasized about what a subway line would do for the Heights, or even a commuter train stop where the tracks run deep under the south end of the Reservoir.

The poison pill, of course, is losing local parking along Summit. But better transit will make the Heights less car dependent.

If you changed two avenues (say Summit, part of Central and Oakland) with one for buses running North and the other South, then street parking could be preserved.

Another idea would be buses that run both on road and rail (yes.. they have been built). The bus could then transfer to the HBLR tracks.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/8 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
If JC really wants to go leading edge - get in on trialing driverless cars, buses and taxis. There's a huge opportunity for growth not only within JC, but between JC and NYC.

http://www.sciencealert.com/driverles ... ets-of-in-japan-next-year

http://www.popsci.com/driverless-buses-go-with-traffic-flow

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-sty ... -first-time-a6727016.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/singap ... ess-idUSL3N1280S920151012

Posted on: 2015/12/8 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I would love to see a more unified waterfront, combining the Newark bay with New York bay waterfronts. Similar to what you see in Brooklyn. Also it would be nice to see more attractions at the water fronts. like cafes , galleries and pubs.

I walk my dog near the waterfront in Greenville but I can not walk along the waterfront in Greenville to downtown or the Newark Bay front back to the New York bay front....

user1111 did you know about this website that shows the walkway from Bayonne to Fort Lee? Interesting map.

The Hudson River Waterfront Conservancy (HRWC)

http://www.hudsonriverwaterfront.org/

Yes!!! exactly what I would like to see.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I would love to see a more unified waterfront, combining the Newark bay with New York bay waterfronts. Similar to what you see in Brooklyn. Also it would be nice to see more attractions at the water fronts. like cafes , galleries and pubs.

I walk my dog near the waterfront in Greenville but I can not walk along the waterfront in Greenville to downtown or the Newark Bay front back to the New York bay front....

user1111 did you know about this website that shows the walkway from Bayonne to Fort Lee? Interesting map.

The Hudson River Waterfront Conservancy (HRWC)

http://www.hudsonriverwaterfront.org/

Posted on: 2015/12/8 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Those, of course, are as economically impractical as the too often discussed here 'Hudson Pedestrian & Bike Bridge'. However, converting half of Summit Ave into Bus Rapid Transit lanes for a line that runs from JSQ Station to 42nd St PA would be transformative to the Heights with relatively little capital investment compared to rail. Given the wireless signal system that changes all lights in its favor on a bus's approach and a clear dedicated road, it would be a very speedy trip to either station.

It could even use the same fare system as the HBLR so boarding is fast. Stops should be further apart than regular bus stops, like the every 10 or so blocks many of the NYC subway lines have. The stops should have platforms so ADA compliance is a ramp to the platform before the bus arrives rather than the long procedure of the lift. The idea is a relatively low cost, very low friction transit system serving the entire area north of JSQ and the S half of Union City.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/8 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Fulop,

Seasons Greetings to you! I think a working group is in order to put together a good proposal, and it would be great if ours is well received. I see 2 big problems in terms of even meeting the eligibility criteria though:

An environment that is conducive to demonstrating proposed strategies I'm assuming here they mean an actual physical/built environment, as opposed to a cultural environment. If it's the former, years of development to enable car dependency (big box stores, no traffic planning, allowing developments such as Society Hill) have resulted in a built/infrastructure situation that will make anything hard to achieve.

Leadership and capacity to carry out the demonstration throughout the period of performance. Since JCs public transportation network is controlled by the state and the Port Authority, this may be an impossible hurdle. The corruption, incompetence, and resistance of both the Republican NJ government and the bi-partisan PA is staggering.

IMO, the approach should be how a mid-sized city can development and implement its own enhancements against such odds - perhaps its technology based, and widely distributed, to link data about mass transit options in one app? Informational kiosks the city could design and build (e.g. with bus maps, routes, and schedules), no turn on red zones tied to approaching buses, etc.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
This is true, especially in major commuter arteries like Sip Aveneue, Newark Avenue, Columbus and Grand. Double parking, and lack of enforcement of no stop zones is non-existent.

This is so true- before the pedestrian plaza existed half of that section of Newark Ave was idling cars that were double parked and nothing was done about it. Now you have a bunch of idiots who just double park illegally in front of the bodega at the start of the pedestrian plaza and the cops just sit there and watch.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
One of the things that I believe this city needs is direct access running north and south. Something that was discussed here previously was BRT (Bus Rapid Transit). This functions as the lower cost alternative to installing another light rail while also giving speed to the transit. I feel that connecting the southern tip of Greenville with the northern-most section of the Heights would add great value. The central point would be Journal Square.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 18:33
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
We don't have the ability to track transportation here, we should get it though. Also anyone can look up the schedule on their phone but the buses are always late.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 17:57
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A personal shout out from the mayor? Back at you Steve!

Posted on: 2015/12/8 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Yeah, you can text the bus stop # and get a response with a list of the next several buses scheduled to arrive at that stop. The problem is that it's giving you timetable schedule times, not an estimate based on real-time conditions.

MTA's bustime is a huge step ahead because it uses GPS bus locations and traffic conditions to estimate the actual arrival time. http://bustime.mta.info/

Posted on: 2015/12/8 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
It would be great if someone created an app that told you the GPS location of the next train or bus that you want to take so that you wouldn't have to worry about standing in the cold for half an hour. This would improve ridership as you would know when to go and wait for the bus and be a good selling point for this competition.

MTA has it for their buses:
http://bustime.mta.info/

There are a number of iphone and droid apps available that use this bustime data from MTA.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 17:25

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017