Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Fulop wants to change the election from May to November
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Third_street_hats, Please be accurate if you are lumping me in with others.

1. I've not made one comment against moving the election to November as I think it will increase voter participation.

2. I don't care about whether Fulop wants to be Governor or if this is to secure a fallback position.

3. I also don't care about what Fulop's motivation is.

4. My issue is with eliminating runoffs because doing so will allow people to be elected with a smaller portion of the vote cast than is currently required. It will mean that a candidate can win election by engaging fewer voters. Why any voter would support that change is beyond me.

Consider that Schundler became mayor by winning only 19% of the vote cast in that year's election (special election). Again, this is not 19% of registered voters, it's 19% of people who voted in that election.

Anyone who thinks that is great for democracy should get their head examined.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 20:20

Edited by shakatah on 2015/11/16 20:40:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
1. Fulop was not honest, he is doing this in piecemeal, the issue is getting rid of runoffs.
2. The truth is more people voted in the May election than the general election.
3. 4% is not a mandate
4. Our local elections will be lost with all the other elections.
5. Saving money? Even Sullivan said we will have to buy new machines.
6. This is still a scheme by Fulop to be mayor when he loses the primary.

I think the reason this thread won't die is because folks like you and Shakatah are dancing around the fact that 6 is all you actually care about and are instead making claims that this is some kind of erosion of democracy.

You don't think that anyone in your party can beat Fulop if he has the opportunity to run again. That's all.

1. Opinion
2. Anecdotal non-point
3. Non-binding
4. Unfounded speculation
5. Cost of machines would be covered if not by this election, than by the savings accrued going forward
6. Proposed in 2010 so a non-point, and even if true, he still has to win the mayoral election.

Instead of continuing to complain about something that IS happening, maybe direct your efforts towards finding a candidate who has good enough ideas and can speak persuasively enough to win the vote.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
1. Fulop was not honest, he is doing this in piecemeal, the issue is getting rid of runoffs.
2. The truth is more people voted in the May election than the general election.
3. 4% is not a mandate
4. Our local elections will be lost with all the other elections.
5. Saving money? Even Sullivan said we will have to buy new machines.
6. This is still a scheme by Fulop to be mayor when he loses the primary.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... e?instance=search_results
Fulop wins on moving election to November

Voters in 2017 will have a full plate to deal with after the Jersey City City Council voted to move municipal elections from May to November. Voters will be able to choose a new governor, a U.S. senator, members of the House of Representatives, freeholders, school board members, mayor and council, and party committee people.

Voters will not be choosing a senator in 2017, nor will they be voting for "members" of the house (each voter chooses one member, not multiple.) These races are held on even-numbered years - the Menendez seat comes up in 2018 and Booker's in 2020. I'm pretty sure the committee seats won't be involved either - these are partisan elections that are held with the primaries in June, at least as long as I can remember.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Other jurisdictions hold these kinds of consolidated elections all the time. They've done it for years. It has not killed democracy.

But I'm glad to see you agree with Al Sullivan's insulting opinion about the capabilities of the average voter.

In fact, I think that in order to ensure voters don't get confused, we should limit elections to one contest at a time. We'll do the governor in November, school board in December, House in January, Senate in February, and mayor in March. Why not? It's not like anyone ought to care about low turnouts, or saving money.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... e?instance=search_results
Fulop wins on moving election to November

Voters in 2017 will have a full plate to deal with after the Jersey City City Council voted to move municipal elections from May to November. Voters will be able to choose a new governor, a U.S. senator, members of the House of Representatives, freeholders, school board members, mayor and council, and party committee people.

This is a pretty heavy lift for the average citizen, and will require a master?s degree in political science to deal with all of the campaign literature and such.

While proponents of the change claim that ballots can be adjusted to be less confusing, and that the county should order new voting machines to deal with these inflated ballots, the truth is, voters might not be able to digest all of issues in the short span of time between Labor Day and Election Day.

This seems to be a real disservice to voters who must make critical decisions about candidates while being bombarded with media overload. In truth, this also goes a long way towards hurting less well-funded campaigns. The campaign that can afford to get the candidate?s name out will have a huge advantage.

Proponents claim that the election in November will bring out more voters. This is partly true. But how informed will those voters be when they have so many candidates being thrown at them at once?

The November election will also supposedly save money. Even if it does, it will be at the expense of voter exhaustion.

Posted on: 2015/11/15 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"...... Previous councils had more dignity than to vote on their on own pay.

That may be so but previous councils had taxpayer vehicles at their disposal 24/7 along with all the gas they wanted up until the end of Healy's term when they were rationed to 18 gallons of gas a week.

Didn't need to vote on their own pay, when they had "pay-to-play".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Hague

Frank Hague (January 17, 1876 ? January 1, 1956) was an American Democratic Party politician who served as the mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey from 1917 to 1947, Democratic National Committeeman from New Jersey from 1922 until 1949, and Vice-Chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1924 until 1949.

Hague has a widely known reputation for corruption and bossism and has been called "the grandaddy of Jersey bosses."[1] By the time he left office in 1947, he enjoyed palatial homes, European vacations, and a private suite at the Plaza Hotel.[2] His wealth has been estimated to have been over $10 million at the time of his death, although his City salary never exceeded $8,500 per year and he had no other legitimate source of income.[2] His desk, according to legend, had a specially designed lap drawer which could be pushed outward towards the person with whom he was meeting. This allowed his "guests" to discreetly deliver bribes in the form of envelopes containing large amounts of cash.[3][4] However, according to New Jersey preservationist John Hallinan, the drawers were a traditional feature of 19th century partners desks and that "[t]he last thing [Hague] would need to do is take a bribe personally." As of September 2013, the desk was in storage awaiting restoration.[5]

Posted on: 2015/11/15 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"...... Previous councils had more dignity than to vote on their on own pay.

That may be so but previous councils had taxpayer vehicles at their disposal 24/7 along with all the gas they wanted up until the end of Healy's term when they were rationed to 18 gallons of gas a week.

Posted on: 2015/11/15 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
But what is problematic, the council will vote to extend their salary an extra six months. In the past, when the council voted for a pay raise, it took place for the next council. You should not vote a pay extension for yourself. Previous councils had more dignity than to vote on their on own pay.

FYI, this is the only way the council can do it, via the state law that allows towns to move their nonpartisan elections to November. The extra six months council members/the mayor would need to have added onto their terms is written into the state law:

"c. The term of any person in office on the date of the adoption of such an ordinance shall be extended until the beginning of the term of the person elected to that office on the day of the general election in November."

Posted on: 2015/11/14 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You know this is just being done as a back door so Fulop can become mayor again when he loses the primary. But what is problematic, the council will vote to extend their salary an extra six months. In the past, when the council voted for a pay raise, it took place for the next council. You should not vote a pay extension for yourself. Previous councils had more dignity than to vote on their on own pay.

Posted on: 2015/11/14 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The public speaks against changing the election in November plus scare tactics used in the election.
https://youtu.be/cutHPdTBSHQ

They are MEMBERS of the public, they are NOT representative of the whole. Nice manipulation to only spotlight those known to dislike the mayor.

Posted on: 2015/11/14 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The public speaks against changing the election in November plus scare tactics used in the election.
https://youtu.be/cutHPdTBSHQ

Posted on: 2015/11/13 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
For someone that has a clear bias, spends time spreading lies and goes out of their way to promote ignorant opinions as facts, you are given a lot of forums for which to spread your crazy.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 16:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/13 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let me correct my statement, I meant to say, it did not increase voter participation. I need to type as fast as I think.

you mean you need to type as quickly as you believe you think...

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, the year is almost over, I accept all prizes.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I need to type as fast as I think.

Hands down, the funniest JCLIST statement of the year.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let me correct my statement, I meant to say, it did not increase voter participation. I need to type as fast as I think.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"May elections on the same day as the general election in November in order to save tax dollars and increase voter participation was signed into law Thursday by Acting Governor Steve Sweeney." I just copied and paste this statement from the law.
First, it did increase voter participation, let's go back to May 2013 municipal election, over 40,000 voted. Now check November 2013 governor's race, less than 33,000 voted. If less than 7,000 voted then that is a false statement.
Save money? Sure the city will not pay, but the county will pick up the costs, especially if many people run they would have to order more machines. But it is a joke to talk about saving money when Mayor Fulop has increased spending of over $50 million since 2012. The information is online, just check 2012 - $489 million, 2015 - $540 million, look at the budgets.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
jj comment Quote:
I love how people try to make it seem like Mayor Fulop came up with the bill itself. Also that he lied to the public about it increasing voter turnout. The bill was created to save towns money and to increase voter turnout. Matsikoudis and his crew should go to the source if they want to complain.

Assembly Democrats News Release FOR RELEASE 1/15/2010

BUONO-DIEGNAN-BARNES BILL TO GIVE NONPARTISAN MUNICIPALITIES OPTIONS FOR ELECTION DAY SIGNED INTO LAW

(TRENTON) -- A bill sponsored by Senator Barbara Buono and Assemblymen Patrick J. Diegnan, Jr., and Peter J. Barnes III which will allow municipalities with nonpartisan forms of government the option to hold their May elections on the same day as the general election in November in order to save tax dollars and increase voter participation was signed into law Thursday by Acting Governor Steve Sweeney.

"New Jersey's near-constant campaign cycle has definitely created a level of voter fatigue in the Garden State," said Senator Buono, (D-Metuchen). "As a result of having to go to the polls usually multiple times in any given year, many voters become detached from the process and simply can't differentiate the issues from one election cycle to the next. Through this new law, we will be able to energize an apathetic electorate, and allow municipalities to save tax dollars that would otherwise be spent on a separate election day."

http://www.assemblydems.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=2166

Posted on: 2015/11/12 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Any comments on Bill Matsikoudis's statement, HeightsBrat? Or you just rather ignore the facts?

Matsikoudis is cherry-picking. Not much comment is needed.

How is quoting the number of people who voted for governor in 2013 cherry picking?

When he only picks the 1 or 2 elections that support his position, and ignores those that do not? That's the very definition of cherry-picking.

Quote:
It is amazing how the truth is calling "cherry picking" when it does not line up with the facts.

lol... Yes, it really does suck when the truth does not line up with the facts. :D

Quote:
voters, who are adults, do not need government telling them to vote.

Apparently they do, 'cause people are not showing up at the polls.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
I like how you quoted my entire post but conveniently left out the part where I said... etc

The whole post is right up there, dude, for everyone to see.

The section you reiterated doesn't change things much, anyway. Since you missed it: Numerous people, including supporters of this change, were very well aware of and complaining about the low turnout in this election. Most people were also aware that it was non-binding. DTJC and I both basically said that the low turnout was an argument in favor of consolidating the elections.

Quote:
Integrity: You should try it sometime.

Reading comprehension. You should try it sometime.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Nov 2015 election had 8% voter turnout and 52% of those folks voted to move the election to November.

According to you, in other posts, on this very topic: 52% qualifies as a majority... and turnout shouldn't matter as much as getting that majority vote.

And yet, here you are, decrying a majority vote because of low turnout in an election.

Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Outrage, blasphemy, anyone??? Or do your principles shift with the wind and outrage is only dialed in to support whatever direction the wind is blowing at that moment?

Pot, kettle, black etc

By the way, the vote was non-binding. It's meaningless, except that it gives Fulop a little cover. In order for this to actually happen, the City Council needs to pass a law.

I like how you quoted my entire post but conveniently left out the part where I said "For the record, I have no problem with the results because every eligible voter had an opportunity to make their voice heard. Those who chose to be silent, then complain because they don't like the result deserve no sympathy."

Integrity: You should try it sometime.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Any comments on Bill Matsikoudis's statement, HeightsBrat? Or you just rather ignore the facts?

How is quoting the number of people who voted for governor in 2013 cherry picking? It is amazing how the truth is calling "cherry picking" when it does not line up with the facts. Every since Fulop promoted changing voting to November, he said it will increase voter turn out. By the way, voters, who are adults, do not need government telling them to vote.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/11 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Nov 2015 election had 8% voter turnout and 52% of those folks voted to move the election to November.

According to you, in other posts, on this very topic: 52% qualifies as a majority... and turnout shouldn't matter as much as getting that majority vote.

And yet, here you are, decrying a majority vote because of low turnout in an election.

Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Outrage, blasphemy, anyone??? Or do your principles shift with the wind and outrage is only dialed in to support whatever direction the wind is blowing at that moment?

Pot, kettle, black etc

By the way, the vote was non-binding. It's meaningless, except that it gives Fulop a little cover. In order for this to actually happen, the City Council needs to pass a law.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let's call it was it is - this is Fulop attempt to become mayor again when he loses the primary.

Even if we were to concede that, which we're not, so f$%king what? There's no rule that says a politician needs to give up his current position to run for higher office, note all the sitting governors, senators and congressmen running for President. In fact, if this current situation has historically discouraged our mayors from running for governor, it's done a disservice to JC and other NJ cities who could benefit from having an urban advocate in Drumthwacket rather than a suburbanite.

Your willingness to compare a May gubernatorial election to an extremely minor Nov election shows your tiresome personal vendetta is more important to you than even the slightest logic.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They are not the same number, Joshua, I do not want to recall a wrong figure, but I believe Bill Matsikoudis said 33,000 people for governor while over 40,000 voted for mayor/council in 2013. After all, everyone who championed this said moving the election would result in a higher count. That data is wrong. You will have a confusing ballot with many elections and unfortunately, you will give the lucky person who is placed closed to the Democratic line, an unfair advantage. This happened in 1992 during a special election, when the person near the Democratic line received 3,000 more votes than anyone and that person did not spend a nickel campaigning.
Let's call it was it is - this is Fulop attempt to become mayor again when he loses the primary. He is using JC for his political ambition at the expense of combining a partisan election with non partisan election, resulting in a confusing ballot.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

No comment. I took umbrage to your statement & stand by it. We live in a democracy where everyone supposedly has the right to their own opinion. I do not like those to presume they know what my opinion is unless I have charged them with the right to speak on my behalf.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nov 2015 election had 8% voter turnout and 52% of those folks voted to move the election to November. For the folks who've been vocal and against having the majority of voters in EACH election determine the result and instead have been trying to sell the idea that the standard should be the majority of eligible/registered voters overall, where is your outrage?
After all only 4% of eligible voters made the decision.

For the record, I have no problem with the results because every eligible voter had an opportunity to make their voice heard. Those who chose to be silent, then complain because they don't like the result deserve no sympathy.

Principles. Look it up.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 14:53

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017