Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Chick-fil-A, on the way!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Maybe you're missing the point of what I was getting at, which is that at least to me, and I'm sure a lot of people that would prefer organic food, is less about the fright that I might get some chicken or vegetable that has been tainted by a chemical pesticide or antibiotics, and more about supporting practices that avoid that. It's about making positive changes to farming and business practices that will hopefully as time moves on lead to less copious use of pesticides and other things that are harmful in the long run both to our bodies, to animals, the produce we eat, to the bees that pollinate our crops, to the watersheds that we drink from and where fish live, to all sorts of things.

I personally am less concerned with the remnants of things that might make it into my body, and more concerned with the long term effects of farming practices on the world we live in.

Same theory goes to stuff like cigarette smoking. I'm sure I can't avoid inhaling some cigarette smoke here and there, or some noxious fumes from buses or cars, but that doesn't mean I should give up and just inhale the stuff all the time. I'd prefer to work towards making the air around me cleaner through long-term goals.

That is your opinion. I do not believe it is widely shared. Hell, even jcguy05 doesn't agree.

I think the primary reason why people choose organic food is due to the misperception that it is somehow healthier or contains less chemicals that will poison you, NOT for its impact on the environment.

Rather, the environmental concern is a secondary or tertiary reason why one may choose organic, but it is rare for it to be the primary reason, as it is for you. And my point is most peoples' primary reason is simply not true.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you're missing the point of what I was getting at, which is that at least to me, and I'm sure a lot of people that would prefer organic food, is less about the fright that I might get some chicken or vegetable that has been tainted by a chemical pesticide or antibiotics, and more about supporting practices that avoid that. It's about making positive changes to farming and business practices that will hopefully as time moves on lead to less copious use of pesticides and other things that are harmful in the long run both to our bodies, to animals, the produce we eat, to the bees that pollinate our crops, to the watersheds that we drink from and where fish live, to all sorts of things.

I personally am less concerned with the remnants of things that might make it into my body, and more concerned with the long term effects of farming practices on the world we live in.

Same theory goes to stuff like cigarette smoking. I'm sure I can't avoid inhaling some cigarette smoke here and there, or some noxious fumes from buses or cars, but that doesn't mean I should give up and just inhale the stuff all the time. I'd prefer to work towards making the air around me cleaner through long-term goals.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
lol unless "organic" food are made in a vacuum they aren't going to be "chemical free", whatever that means. I've worked on a farm before and when they sprayed the shit blew everywhere including into the "organic farm" next door.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

"Organic" is a meaningless buzz word. About the only thing it means is you will be paying a lot more.

It is far from a buzz word, it has very strict standards to be certified as organic at least in the US (usda). Veggies/fruits must be grown on soils not containing the banned chemicals for at least 3 years. Animals has also strict food and movement requirements, cows/beef for example can only be usda organic if previous 2 generations are raised as organic, on top of the current one that is being certified. Not to mention no gmo.

You are what you eat, and it makes a big difference over time. In other countries like china organic doesnt mean as much because the standard is very loose and it's a buzzword. Not in the US.

Sorry, the term "organic" is largely a buzz word in the U.S.

"Many consumers who "fork over a little more" believe that the foods themselves are more nutritious, safer, and tastier. But the USDA proposal itself noted that, "No distinctions should be made between organically and non-organically produced products in terms of quality, appearance, or safety." In other words, no claim should be made that the foods themselves are better?or even different!"

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/organic.html

Also, I challenge you to find any chains which serve "organic" meat.

Like I said, people are going to "healthy" Chipolte and getting E. coli, while I've never heard of this happening at a Chik Fil A.
I think the desire to eat organic foods for many people derives from their opposition to the chemicals that get sprayed all over non-organic foods. Not necessarily because they think it will poison them, but because it ends up poisoning waterways, the earth, leads to less healthy crops in the long run, kills bees, and lines the pockets of scumbags like Monsanto. All of this is pretty well documented.

Same thing with antibiotics. It's not that I'm concerned about those antibiotics somehow harming me, but overuse of antibiotics leads to resistant bacteria, which breed stronger and stronger bacteria which can become harmful to humans and other creatures.

Yes, it's not so much the food is better/more nutritious or not. It's the chemicals, antibiotics, hormones etc.. that are injected or laced on it you consume along with non-organic food. It wont instantly make you sick, but you consume them for the next 30 years and it will have an adverse effect on you. Environmental is an added benefit as well.

The way things are produced now, everything is pretty much chemical engineered and lab-driven to get it done cheapest and fastest. No matter if they are animals or veggies/fruits. I know a friend who's a third generation butcher and deals directly with those animals also. And the process to be certified as usda organic on the beef is strict.

Besides it's not like i am mortgaging my house to buy organic, or without it i will die. But if it's available and you pay just slightly more to avoid ingesting all those chemicals and nasty stuff that's on the food or ingested by the animals before they are killed. To me that's a small price to pay.

Anyway to each of its own.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
it has very strict standards to be certified as organic at least in the US (usda)

I think we would all be surprised at how much Big Food interests are chipping away at the Govt definition of "organic"...

Posted on: 2015/11/12 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

"Organic" is a meaningless buzz word. About the only thing it means is you will be paying a lot more.

It is far from a buzz word, it has very strict standards to be certified as organic at least in the US (usda). Veggies/fruits must be grown on soils not containing the banned chemicals for at least 3 years. Animals has also strict food and movement requirements, cows/beef for example can only be usda organic if previous 2 generations are raised as organic, on top of the current one that is being certified. Not to mention no gmo.

You are what you eat, and it makes a big difference over time. In other countries like china organic doesnt mean as much because the standard is very loose and it's a buzzword. Not in the US.

"Many consumers who "fork over a little more" believe that the foods themselves are more nutritious, safer, and tastier. But the USDA proposal itself noted that, "No distinctions should be made between organically and non-organically produced products in terms of quality, appearance, or safety." In other words, no claim should be made that the foods themselves are better?or even different!"

Like I said, people are going to "healthy" Chipolte and getting E. coli, while I've never heard of this happening at a Chik Fil A.
I think the desire to eat organic foods for many people derives from their opposition to the chemicals that get sprayed all over non-organic foods. Not necessarily because they think it will poison them, but because it ends up poisoning waterways, the earth, leads to less healthy crops in the long run, kills bees, and lines the pockets of scumbags like Monsanto. All of this is pretty well documented.

Same thing with antibiotics. It's not that I'm concerned about those antibiotics somehow harming me, but overuse of antibiotics leads to resistant bacteria, which breed stronger and stronger bacteria which can become harmful to humans and other creatures.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There was no line in the evening. They used a foil lined bag to hold the chicken sandwich. The chicken meat is thick and moist. The fries are waffle fries. They give you Heinz? Dip & Squeeze? Ketchup.

I thought I had a chicken sandwich that had coleslaw in it decades ago in Florida. Does anyone remember such a sandwich? Who sold them?

Posted on: 2015/11/12 3:31

Edited by Annod on 2015/11/12 3:53:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Organic is definitely bullshit.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/11 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/11 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
was going to try it for lunch today, but the line was so long you think they are giving out free lobsters.

no thanks, it's just fried chicken people...geez.

I even checked their website and after all the marketing bs, the quality of chicken they use arent any better than the lab monsters we normally have at supermarkets. They dont guarantee anything and forget about organic. At least cosi guarantees their chicken to be antibiotic free.

Chipotle loves to brag about its sustainable and "ethical" meat practices, yet look how they get outbreaks of various deadly diseases.

If you try the food at Chik Fil A, you will see why they are so popular.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
was going to try it for lunch today, but the line was so long you think they are giving out free lobsters.

no thanks, it's just fried chicken people...geez.

I even checked their website and after all the marketing bs, the quality of chicken they use arent any better than the lab monsters we normally have at supermarkets. They dont guarantee anything and forget about organic. At least cosi guarantees their chicken to be antibiotic free.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
When it comes to camping out for free food promotion, they're no chickens (PHOTOS)

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on November 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM

JERSEY CITY -- These people must really love their chicken.

Nearly 100 people braved the cold last night to camp out for their chance to win free Chick-fil-A for a year.

At 9 p.m. last night, at least 70 people had already lined up for the promotion to celebrate today's grand opening at Newport Center mall in Downtown Jersey City.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... g_of_je.html#incart_river

Take a look at that crowd. Very diverse group of people. Maybe Chik Fil A can host some events celebrating JC's diversity. They'll certainly have an appropriate audience.

The funniest thing is that all those people camped out all night, but some dude showed up at 8:30 AM and still made it into the "first 100".

Posted on: 2015/11/11 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our lifespan is largely based on genetics. That doesn't mean we cannot harm our lifespan by smoking and other practices. Last month the Jersey Journal ran an article about a black woman who is over 100 years old. She still eats 4 slices of bacon every day plus eggs. She comes from a great genetic pool.

Why point out the 100-year old's race?

Posted on: 2015/11/11 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
When it comes to camping out for free food promotion, they're no chickens (PHOTOS)

Nearly 100 people braved the cold last night to camp out for their chance to win free Chick-fil-A for a year.

At 9 p.m. last night, at least 70 people had already lined up for the promotion to celebrate today's grand opening at Newport Center mall in Downtown Jersey City.

Take a look at that crowd. Very diverse group of people. Maybe Chik Fil A can host some events celebrating JC's diversity. They'll certainly have an appropriate audience.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/11 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Chick Fil A is always closed on Sunday, it was the founder's philosophy. He wanted employees to have the opportunity to go to church, if it was their wish.

is this true for the newport mall location? i thought the mall has strict requirements that all stores remain open during mall hours, as part of the contract the stores sign when they rent the space.

The fast food court space in the mall is highly desirable and there is certainly no shortage of chains wanting to move in, so i doubt the mall will agree to let chicken fill a close on sundays?

That speaks to the extraordinary quality of their food and how they run their business. Despite being closed one day of the week, they are still so successful that they keep expanding left and right.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Chick Fil A is always closed on Sunday, it was the founder's philosophy. He wanted employees to have the opportunity to go to church, if it was their wish.

is this true for the newport mall location? i thought the mall has strict requirements that all stores remain open during mall hours, as part of the contract the stores sign when they rent the space.

The fast food court space in the mall is highly desirable and there is certainly no shortage of chains wanting to move in, so i doubt the mall will agree to let chicken fill a close on sundays?

Yes, this will be the case for the Newport Centre location. It doesn't matter if other places would remain open, or if the space is desirable. If the mall wanted them to come in, they would have had to be willing to go with that caveat. Besides, what difference does it make if they close or not on Sundays? They are still paying whatever rent was negotiated for the space they will be occupying.

Here is their official statement on the Sunday policy: http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Company/Highlights-Sunday

Posted on: 2015/11/9 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/9 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/9 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Chick-fil-A are already building out a second Manhattan location, with more expansion to follow.

http://inside.chick-fil-a.com/new-yor ... e-chick-fil-a-restaurant/

Posted on: 2015/11/6 3:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/19 17:57
From paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
the correct business title is Boston Market, and i agree 100%. they have very good pastries.

Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

They know how to put out high quality (fast) food, at a reasonable price point.

That's Boston Chicken and the one in Hoboken sadly closed long ago.

JC could use one and it would rock.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 3:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
If I didn't want to eat in the mall on a sunday i'd go to Bergen county. This not opening on sunday crap shouldn't fly this close to NYC.

lots of Italian deli's in JC/Hoboken do the same thing. Plus, the chick fil a store in NYC does it as someone just mentioned above.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Hey, I sort of agree with Yvonne here, if they want to close whenever, it's their store. I've been amazed at certain deli's that close at 3. But if it works for them, great. What I am utterly opposed to is the kind of blue laws that Bergen has, imposing churchgoing morality on everyone. There's a large Orthodox Jewish community there who won't shop on their Sabbath, and can't shop on Sunday. And for the record, I'm opposed to the similar laws in Israel.

I think there reason for the blue laws now is to reduce traffic on Sundays, not for church going morality (though that was the original intent), but I agree they're stupid. Though if I lived there maybe I wouldn't want the traffic either.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Hey, I sort of agree with Yvonne here, if they want to close whenever, it's their store. I've been amazed at certain deli's that close at 3. But if it works for them, great. What I am utterly opposed to is the kind of blue laws that Bergen has, imposing churchgoing morality on everyone. There's a large Orthodox Jewish community there who won't shop on their Sabbath, and can't shop on Sunday. And for the record, I'm opposed to the similar laws in Israel.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/4 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
If I didn't want to eat in the mall on a sunday i'd go to Bergen county. This not opening on sunday crap shouldn't fly this close to NYC.

The Manhattan store is doing quite well . . .

Posted on: 2015/11/4 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

That's the nice thing about the free market. The JC residents will decide that.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/4 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
holy shit, yes please

Quote:
That's Boston Chicken and the one in Hoboken sadly closed long ago.

JC could use one and it would rock.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 2:06

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017