Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Taxi fares
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
how far were you going that six bucks is something to fight over?

Posted on: 2015/10/25 23:47

Re: Anyone knows how the Jersey City cab meter fee calculate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Do JC and Hoboken even have taxi and limousine commisions or is that another no-show job?

Hoboken seems to have a department of Taxi & Limousine Licensing which I have called before and they seem to be marginally helpful sometimes. Here's the website:

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... taxi-limousine-licensing/

As for the Jersey City counterpart, I think it is nothing more than a desk with a phone that someone answers when they feel like it. There are supposedly a few inspectors as well, but given the deplorable state of every Jersey City taxicab I've set foot in, they don't seem to be doing anything either. But that has turned out to be a blessing in disguise for those of us who like Uber or Lyft. Between the ineffective city agency and the extremely weak local taxi & limo lobby in Jersey City, there doesn't seem to be much that either can do to fight back against Uber or Lyft, so both companies are doing well and serving people like me well.

In Hoboken on the other hand, the city agency and local lobby of companies established and were enforcing anti-Uber regulations, with local police preventing passengers from getting in every Uber or Lyft car they were able to stop (at least they were at one point; I haven't had the need for car service in Hoboken for a while so I don't know what's happening now).

Jersey City taxis have been sometimes individually fighting back against Uber and Lyft in a more underhanded manor by setting bogus fares while claiming their meter is broken, but that only goes so far and doesn't always work.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Just took a white taxi from the Grove Street stand. I was tired and wasn't paying attention. I noticed the meter wasn't lit as the ride progressed. I asked the driver, he said the fare was $6.00 flat. When the cab arrived at my destination and he turned the cab lights on, I noticed there was no ID posted, no driver photo etc. I took down the license plate OT 1715. Be on your guard against this scammer.
I'll definitely be more careful and observant next time.

Dude, just take an Uber next time.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just took a white taxi from the Grove Street stand. I was tired and wasn't paying attention. I noticed the meter wasn't lit as the ride progressed. I asked the driver, he said the fare was $6.00 flat. When the cab arrived at my destination and he turned the cab lights on, I noticed there was no ID posted, no driver photo etc. I took down the license plate OT 1715. Be on your guard against this scammer.
I'll definitely be more careful and observant next time.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Are you overweight or traveling with large packages? I was just reading that some cabs charge extra... Cab rides: This is not just to cover additional fuel costs but also to pay for wearing out the suspensions (assuming that these actually exist in cabs);

I'd say the average cab, gassed and with a driver, along with the extra equipment that cabs need to operate, weigh well over 4,000 lbs.

So even a 300 lb person, double say average, adds only 150 lbs to the 4,000 lbs a cab is toting.

This has less effect on mileage and suspension wear than having tires not inflated to the correct psi.

Cab drivers can't arbitrarily make up this sort of thing on a whim-were this so, would cab drivers charge more for two passengers for the same trip rather than one fare?

Posted on: 2014/1/7 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Uber is SUPER convenient and, as pointed out, you usually get great service along with the convenience of not having to exchange money. I have used it a couple of times. Definitely more affordable and convenient than regular JC taxis.

But, there is one drawback to Uber cars: if you are in a hurry, or if you are just coming out of the PATH and just want to go home right away, you will find that sometimes there is a wait period (usually less than 10 minutes) before a car can come to you. If you are home, or at a restaurant, that is no problem. If you are outside, in the cold or rain, or in a hurry to get where you are going, it could be a drag to have to wait for the car.

Regardless, I think Uber is awesome. You can use my referral link to get $20 off your first ride (https://uber.com/invite/6kv37).

FULL DISCLOSURE: if you sign up using the link above I also get a $20 credit on my account. So, you get $20, and I get $20.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. I downloaded the Android
app.

Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
I recently used UberX from downtown to the Heights a few Sundays ago. Two mile trip was $8, and that included tip.

Driver was pleasant, picked us up in a nice SUV.

Uber uses GPS data to determine the time/distance of your ride and calculates your fare from that. Your credit card is charged and no money is exchanged with the cabbie.

It was rediculously convenient. I know Uber's gotten some flak for it's "surge" pricing lately, but, apart from that, I thought it was pretty great.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 21:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I recently used UberX from downtown to the Heights a few Sundays ago. Two mile trip was $8, and that included tip.

Driver was pleasant, picked us up in a nice SUV.

Uber uses GPS data to determine the time/distance of your ride and calculates your fare from that. Your credit card is charged and no money is exchanged with the cabbie.

It was rediculously convenient. I know Uber's gotten some flak for it's "surge" pricing lately, but, apart from that, I thought it was pretty great.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Are you overweight or traveling with large packages? I was just reading that some cabs charge extra... Cab rides: This is not just to cover additional fuel costs but also to pay for wearing out the suspensions (assuming that these actually exist in cabs);

Posted on: 2014/1/7 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I got a cab recently and the meter started off at $15. I asked and he just mumbled some crap about not knowing where I was going and didn't the office say how much it would be and blah blah. Paid $10 for what should have been $6 but whatever man not worth my time to get into it over $4 this time.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree with Monroe, and also thought the same thing: I have a feeling that part of the rabid opposition to the new medallion auction was about the increased competition that would force drivers to be more professional/honest.

About Hoboken cabs, I have to agree that if "forced" outside city limits, the cab should be free to negotiate a fare with his passenger. I would welcome a "zone" system that stipulates fares within JC city limits in lieu of running the meter, when mutually agreed upon. The current system is a total racket.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
I feel like Hoboken cabs are even worse. When you get out of the PATH / Light Rail at the Hoboken Terminal, the cab prices vary, AND they fill the car with customers, even though it's illegal, and it says so in every cab... but since the racket exists, and laws are never enforced on the drivers it won't stop.

My trip to the Heights can be anywhere from $7 to $8 to $9 to $10 - depending on who the cab driver is. And, they fill the car and drop me off last. So, on one trip from the terminal, with four passengers, ending in the east side of the Heights, and the cabbie has probably made about $50 bucks or more... what a rip off....

There is a fare chart they should follow. I complained once to the Hoboken Taxi Commission and they sent this to me:

LOWER JERSEY CITY
Columbus Driver Area $12.00
Exchange Place $12.00
155 Washington Blvd. & 100 Warren St. $12.00
4th Street $9.00
7th Street $11.00
Grove St. PATH $12.00
Grand St. & Jersey Ave. $16.00
Grand St. & Pacific $18.00
Pacific & Johnston $18.00
Pacific, Caven Point Road $22.00

Phone: (201) 216-1090
http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... taxi-limousine-licensing/

It is legal to hail in Hoboken. Contrary to popular belief or common local practice, it is legal to hail a licensed yellow cab (although not limousines) anywhere in Hoboken, not just at the train terminal. There are 65 authorized taxis. Before you enter a cab, make sure you see the circular Hoboken logo and number.

Only one fare per taxi. Taxis may accept only one $5 fare ? a person or group of persons going to the same location ? per ride. With the permission of the first fare, a second fare may join, but no more. This rule has been laxly enforced and widely violated in the past, but that is no excuse for continued violations, and the Administration will investigate and take action against all reported violations.

The local fare for yellow cabs is ALWAYS $5.00 The local fare is $5.00 for all yellow cabs and limousines and $6.00 for Indian Way car service regardless of weather or shortage of drivers. In the past, it has been common for residents and visitors to be grossly overcharged by taxi drivers during inclement weather or high demand. Please report any violations.

Call if you see a violation. Residents who believe there is a violation should immediately contact Jennifer Boehm at the Division of Taxi & Limousine Licensing by calling 201-216-1090 or emailing taxi@hobokennj.org and providing the time of the incident, the taxi number (or driver?s license number or vehicle plate number), and a description of what happened. Residents are the City?s eyes and ears, and we can only take action if we know there is a problem.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought $25.00 for a cab ride from NYC to my doorstep in JC was fair. When my girlfriend and I are toasted and subway to PATH to lightrail is a potential calamity in the making, $25.00 seems like a bargain.

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
I feel like Hoboken cabs are even worse. When you get out of the PATH / Light Rail at the Hoboken Terminal, the cab prices vary, AND they fill the car with customers, even though it's illegal, and it says so in every cab... but since the racket exists, and laws are never enforced on the drivers it won't stop.

My trip to the Heights can be anywhere from $7 to $8 to $9 to $10 - depending on who the cab driver is. And, they fill the car and drop me off last. So, on one trip from the terminal, with four passengers, ending in the east side of the Heights, and the cabbie has probably made about $50 bucks or more... what a rip off....

At least for Hoboken passengers they're consistent. $5 anywhere in Hoboken.

I can't blame them too much for negotiating cab fares outside there city limits. Even NYC cabs do this.

Consistency from JC Cabs in JC, would be a great start.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

At least for Hoboken passengers they're consistent. $5 anywhere in Hoboken.

I can't blame them too much for negotiating cab fares outside there city limits. Even NYC cabs do this.

Consistency from JC Cabs in JC, would be a great start.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Do JC and Hoboken even have taxi and limousine commisions or is that another no-show job?

Posted on: 2014/1/7 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/7 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I positively despise JC cabs. They are usually in really bad condition, including terrible smell, and with the sole exception of one cabbie last week, they ALWAYS try to run off meter. I have had many an argument with cabbies about the meter (I always refuse to pay their inflated quotes and insist on the meter running). Surprisingly, came home late last week, walked out of the Grove Street PATH into a waiting cab, and the driver politely asked for my destination and immediately turned on the meter. My best experience yet. No hassle and professional. My assumption was that perhaps they are now starting to crack down on the cabs, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

I guess this would explain the rabid opposition to the new medallions they auctioned off a few weeks ago by the existing medallion owners-competition will make them more honest I suppose.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I positively despise JC cabs. They are usually in really bad condition, including terrible smell, and with the sole exception of one cabbie last week, they ALWAYS try to run off meter. I have had many an argument with cabbies about the meter (I always refuse to pay their inflated quotes and insist on the meter running). Surprisingly, came home late last week, walked out of the Grove Street PATH into a waiting cab, and the driver politely asked for my destination and immediately turned on the meter. My best experience yet. No hassle and professional. My assumption was that perhaps they are now starting to crack down on the cabs, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Their scanners aren't always accurate. When I first moved here one of them tryed to charge me $25.00. I asked him if he was crazy. He said I could get out and walk. I said "good, let me out of this bitch."

Quote:

rosember wrote:
All Jersey City cabs are equipped with a high tech scanning device. You are scanned as you enter, the type of currency and denominations are determined, and the driver simply adds a percentage of that figure to your fare. The older the cab, the more sophisticated the scanner. Best to go into a cab with no money and pay with plastic.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
All Jersey City cabs are equipped with a high tech scanning device. You are scanned as you enter, the type of currency and denominations are determined, and the driver simply adds a percentage of that figure to your fare. The older the cab, the more sophisticated the scanner. Best to go into a cab with no money and pay with plastic.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Your intuition was right. He was trying to rip you off.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 14:58

Anyone knows how the Jersey City cab meter fee calculate
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/9 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
I get on a cab this morning around 8:45am at the cab station on Columbus Dr. We have 2 people. The trip cost me $6.25 but there is an extra $3 shows besides that.

I ask the driver what that $3 is and he murmured then he ask me to give him $8. I ask again what that extra is and he said something about weight and told me to give him $7.

I suspect he wanted to charge the extra $3 that is not required but for himself. Anyone knows how what that is about?

Posted on: 2014/1/7 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
If a taxi wont turn on the meter take a pic of him/her and also the hack licence in the window get out and get another cab and report the driver who wont use the meter. I take cabs about 6 x a month from Exchange Place and almost daily in NYC.

All the cabbies know me now as the dude who takes pics of illegal drivers and turn on the meter as soon as we start to drive. If they think you are a dumb newbie they will try to rob you blind. Especially if you are going outside the downtown area.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Once again (as with the flooding issues) JC needs to catch up to Hoboken and follow the lead of the many times smaller city. There should be a governing body over these taxis. In Hoboken I believe it's one company, no? If it's separate individual taxis they certainly all sport the same medallion on the cabs. There should be a system, instead of all these rogue gypsy cabbies who either don't have meters or refuse to use them. It's absurd.

I'll agree that the rates are ridiculous, too. What is it now, like $15 to go to Hoboken? It's about a mile and a half! It would cost about $5 to go the same distance in a cab in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I'm referring to the white cabs at the Grove PATH on Columbus. And I avoid them like the plague; I only use them when I can't bike for whatever reason.

I have to say the fare up until the last 2 rides, with an occasional exception has been constant. It runs between 6.25-6.75 with minimal or no traffic to near Liberty State Park. It's been down as low as $6 with maniac drivers. I always pay $8 with tip unless there's extenuating circumstances. Therefore, I didn't lose anything the last 2 rides; I paid the same $8 since the driver didn't answer my question if rates went up.

The situation in general throughout JC is horrendous and you have to wonder who's getting paid off. One of my biggest gripes is that the cabs are filthy, often reek of cigarettes, are uncomfortable, rarely have AC, etc. And then there are the broken meters. And probably a dozen other things. I sympathize with the drivers; much of the problem is not their fault and they need to make a living.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any kind of a city regulatory body in JC for taxis? Or rules? Couldn't find them anywhere.

Hoboken has taxi rules on their city website, to the point where they regulate how much cabs who go to JC and other spots in the county can charge.

It would be nice to have some transparency. It seems like JC cabs don't have or don't run meters. It's very shady and there are no rules, or if they are no one follows them.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 16:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Did metered fares go up? Or are cabbies fixing their meters? I regularly take a cab from Grove St. to my apt, well once a week or so. With light traffic, the fare has always been within 50 cents. The last 2 times though it was $1 and $1.25 more with no difference in the route or anything else.

Edited to add... I asked the drivers on both occasions if there was an increase and all I got was a mutter for an answer.

In the 5 years I've lived downtown I've never had ONE consistent fare. My fare always varies as does the base of the meter.

This years in particular I've been lucky to even GET a working meter. If I speak up to the driver they usually give me a ton of attitude about t being broken etc.

I've called the number on the cab and informed them multiple times. Seems the only result from that was a man standing at the "cab stand" at Grove and CC with a notepad taking down times and rates. That was aprox 7 months ago. Maybe one day in 6 years ill get a working meter and a clean can all in one shot.
Until then ill continue walking or biking and not surpporting those jerks.

Sorry for the rant-

So to answer your question it's possible and likely fares went up

Posted on: 2013/6/19 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i would not be surprised if fares went up ..inflation, gas, cost of living

Posted on: 2013/6/19 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i would not be surprised if fares went up ..inflation, gas, cost of living

Posted on: 2013/6/19 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Did metered fares go up? Or are cabbies fixing their meters? I regularly take a cab from Grove St. to my apt, well once a week or so. With light traffic, the fare has always been within 50 cents. The last 2 times though it was $1 and $1.25 more with no difference in the route or anything else.

Edited to add... I asked the drivers on both occasions if there was an increase and all I got was a mutter for an answer.

Is this ride form grove st path to 50 columbus?

I think op means that the total fare is always with the range +/- .50

You go to the taxi rank and get a cab ride that costs $.50?! So they then have to go to the back of the taxi rank after dropping you off. That sucks for them.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017