Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey City Proposes Legislation to Legalize Airbnb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Two shot during birthday party at rented Queens home

Two men were shot early Saturday ? leaving one in critical condition ? during a wild party at a Queens home rented out for the night on Airbnb, cops and witnesses said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/q ... ns-home-article-1.2410518

So what? Crimes are committed in hotels, too

Posted on: 2015/10/25 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Two shot during birthday party at rented Queens home

Two men were shot early Saturday ? leaving one in critical condition ? during a wild party at a Queens home rented out for the night on Airbnb, cops and witnesses said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/q ... ns-home-article-1.2410518

Posted on: 2015/10/25 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Meanwhile, in Gotham...

EXCLUSIVE: Airbnb fights 'Freddy Krueger of bills' that would hit N.Y. homeowners who rent out their pads with up to $50G in fines
BY JENNIFER FERMINO

Airbnb has come out swinging against a bill that would hit homeowners who rent out their pads on home-sharing sites with fines as high as $50,000, saying it?s ?bad policy? that could bankrupt New Yorkers looking to make a quick buck.

The company sent a three-page letter to City Councilman Jumaane Williams on Wednesday, a week before the Brooklyn Democrat, who chairs the Housing and Buildings Committee, holds a hearing on the bill.

More - Daily News

I assume the hotel lobby is far more powerful in NYC than Jersey City.

Though, with that aside, I do give Fulop credit for this move, as I think it's the right one.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Meanwhile, in Gotham...

EXCLUSIVE: Airbnb fights 'Freddy Krueger of bills' that would hit N.Y. homeowners who rent out their pads with up to $50G in fines
BY JENNIFER FERMINO

Airbnb has come out swinging against a bill that would hit homeowners who rent out their pads on home-sharing sites with fines as high as $50,000, saying it?s ?bad policy? that could bankrupt New Yorkers looking to make a quick buck.

The company sent a three-page letter to City Councilman Jumaane Williams on Wednesday, a week before the Brooklyn Democrat, who chairs the Housing and Buildings Committee, holds a hearing on the bill.

More - Daily News

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
How is Sky City operating a legal business if AirBNB isn't yet?

btw - I saw a sizable group of European tourists walk from the Sky City office on Grand to the Zenith in Liberty Harbor (building in which Zeppelin Biergarten is located); not sure if it's a tenant or the building itself that is renting out units to tourists, but if I lived there I'd be pissed off.

I've been told I am this for stating what you stated...xenophobia.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 1:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
How is Sky City operating a legal business if AirBNB isn't yet?

btw - I saw a sizable group of European tourists walk from the Sky City office on Grand to the Zenith in Liberty Harbor (building in which Zeppelin Biergarten is located); not sure if it's a tenant or the building itself that is renting out units to tourists, but if I lived there I'd be pissed off.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Steven Fulop

Last week, Jersey City proposed legislation that would make us the first city in the Tri-State area to officially allow the popular home-sharing platform Airbnb.

Over the last decade, the sharing economy has upended whole industries, from hotels to taxicabs, and big data has changed the way we think about everything from presidential elections to baseball, coining the phrase "Moneyball" and making Nate Silver a household name.

But while the world is adapting to this change, and even embracing it, government is often accused of being late to the table (or tablet) when it comes to new technology and new ways of doing things. Government has the reputation - and it's often fair - of being a bit of a Luddite. Maybe it's that our leaders are too vested in the status quo. Maybe it's because some fear change and the disruption to our economy and our workforce.

This isn't a new thing. In the early 20th century, horse-and-buggy advocates - they actually existed - tried to deter people from driving cars. They passed a law in Pennsylvania demanding that "any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road...If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes."

This approach, needless to say, did not work. No matter how disruptive the march of technology was, government could not stop it - nor should they have. And that remains true today.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/19 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
as this issue is researched, no question, all others things aside, given the number of condominiums in Jersey City, we need the city to amend the proposed ordinance to ensure that that a condominium or home owner association's master deed and by-laws will preempt the ordinance. we need it to be explicit and NOT left to litigate leaving it up to the courts to decide for us.

1) From what little I've seen of the wording, I see no indication that it overrides condo rules or bylaws.

2) Even if it is explicitly stated, that doesn't stop anyone from filing a lawsuit to contest the ordinance.

3) Keep in mind that along with banning rentals, banning short-term rentals can negatively impact the value of a unit. E.g.An apartment is potentially worth more if I have the option to rent it out once or twice a month.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Know someone who did Air B & B in JC, they at times made good profits during summer and on weekends as it was next a PATH terminal - but they also gave it up due to the headache and wear and tear on their rental.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

as this issue is researched, no question, all others things aside, given the number of condominiums in Jersey City, we need the city to amend the proposed ordinance to ensure that that a condominium or home owner association's master deed and by-laws will preempt the ordinance. we need it to be explicit and NOT left to litigate leaving it up to the courts to decide for us.

My condo has rules against homeowners subletting rooms in their units which are enforced. I hope this new ordinance does not trump those rules.

Unless I am missing something, I am at a loss as to why this is a concern. Nothing in the ordinance is enticing anyone to rent out their places in AirBnB. This ordinance is just a way for the city to pad its coffers by imposing a use tax on AirBnB rentals. They are not changing anything else. They are not asking people to rent out their places. And, they are certainly not overturning or invalidating current rental laws or agreements.

The city is simply saying "pay the taxman" and collecting some additional revenue. Smart move on their part.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

My condo has rules against homeowners subletting rooms in their units which are enforced. I hope this new ordinance does not trump those rules.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Can't a city ordinance be challenged in court?

Posted on: 2015/10/18 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Well then those that care and are resident homeowners should bring this up at their next condo association meeting with a copy of their by-laws in hand so they can amend it.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/18 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Airbnb should be a comfortable fit for Jersey City | Editorial

By Star-Ledger Editorial Board The Star-Ledger 

October 16, 2015 at  6:51 PM

Airbnb, the handy peer-to-peer service that allows you to sublet someone's home – or even just a spare room – is illegal in New York City.

So Jersey City, which is a PATH ride away from the vortex of our planet, wants to be the first city in the tri-state area to make Airbnb legal.

That sounds like a winner for anyone who cannot afford to spend $300 to rent a closet in Chelsea or Greenwich Village for one night.

It also sounds like a winning idea from Mayor Steve Fulop, who says Airbnb is already operating in roughly 400 residences in his city, so he might as well legalize it, tax it, regulate it, and collect an estimated $1 million a year for the municipal treasury.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... _fit_for_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2015/10/17 5:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
there are concerns that need to be addressed BEFORE the city moves forward. this impacts housing / building codes, safety issues, ownership rights, changing use of buildings/units, insurance coverage, affordable housing and rent control.

with zoning its very hard to go backwards, so better to come up with a plan before moving forward.

everyone should be concerned, because most everyone is impacted.

So many Chicken Little types in here... How is passing an AirBnB tax going to bring about any of those dangers and pitfalls into reality?? At the end of the day, how's having an AirBnB guest any different than having a relative or friend visiting and staying with you? Or, opening your home to house sitter while you are out of town?? Yes, someone is paying you to stay there, but what's the big deal? Do people here really believe that because the city is approving a new use tax for AirBnB rentals that will somehow convince hordes of people to start renting their apartments or rooms on AirBnB?? I don't get it.

Agreed. Anyone commenting in this regard likely doesn't have much experience with the platform. Its a reputation based system so there is quite a bit of upkeep. A single negative review is much more detrimental than it would be on a service like Yelp! You need your space to be quite clean. You can certainly pass these cleaning costs off to the renter via the platform but that disincentivizes your rental compared to a cheaper listing or cuts into your bottom line.

Hosts are also tracked based on their response rate and response time to inquiries. This does quickly become unmanageable when you are fielding messages from Europeans attempting to low ball your rental rate with some bleeding heart story.

In my experience, most renters are looking to stay in JC over the weekend. This leaves a lot of holes in your monthly calendar and drops your overall income significantly. You'll be forced to slash prices during the week to make what the same as, or more than you would if you simply leased the apartment at market rate.
Most of the people bitching and moaning about the impacts are the same people that bitch and moan about everything that happens in this town.

The reality is that 99.9% of people won't notice a thing by this happening. Could rental units come off the market so landlords can dedicate it as an AirBnB apartment? Sure, if the landlord wants to be a full-time hotelier that has to spend every other day of the month attending to their properties. Do you know many landlords that want to do that?

Who cares if rentals are off the market and how owners handle their apartments. Some owners don't even live there also known as absentee landlords. If the owner wants to tend to their vacant apartment as a hotelier so be it, at the prices that are charged they could hire someone to maintain it. Whether they rent it out to an Airbnb customer, a full time tenant or leave it vacant it is the owner's choice of action. There are other places to live and rent.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I think someone could have a decent business as an air bnb middle-man. Do the booking for a small property owner, coordinate housekeeping, arrange for key delivery etc.

Some people actually make a living doing exactly what you describe. This is particularly helpful/important when you own in an area far from where you live. In general, people who do a lot of AirBnB rentals (say, those who have three or more properties) or who aren't around enough to keep an eye on things (think someone in NY renting a place out in CA) have to hire a rental manager to help keep things moving along smoothly. My understand is that they usually cost around 10% of your rental income. Money well spent if you budget accordingly.

Wow sounds like an established hotel, is their valet parking and breakfast in bed ? Instead of a quick buck amounting to a few pennies to help supplement income for a small nest egg it is becoming a revenue generating machine with a chain of venues to help facilitate one's cause of monetary action.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I think someone could have a decent business as an air bnb middle-man. Do the booking for a small property owner, coordinate housekeeping, arrange for key delivery etc.

Some people actually make a living doing exactly what you describe. This is particularly helpful/important when you own in an area far from where you live. In general, people who do a lot of AirBnB rentals (say, those who have three or more properties) or who aren't around enough to keep an eye on things (think someone in NY renting a place out in CA) have to hire a rental manager to help keep things moving along smoothly. My understand is that they usually cost around 10% of your rental income. Money well spent if you budget accordingly.

Yes, the stairs in my house are starting to become a problem for me (legs, not buttocks, which they keep thin and boyish). My house could probably generate a tidy addition to my income and I could retreat to a coop I own in Manhattan. I wonder at what point you go from small time renter-outer to a business with one being subject to taxes other than the profit/loss from rental property?

Posted on: 2015/10/15 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Talk about a bullshit article. They did all that number crunching and analysis only to determine that monthly rents in hot neighborhoods would be about $37 to $69 cheaper if AirBnB units were not in the market. Saving $40 when you are paying over 3 or 4 thousand is downright silly. They are really, really blowing that out of proportion with their conclusions.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 10:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
there are concerns that need to be addressed BEFORE the city moves forward. this impacts housing / building codes, safety issues, ownership rights, changing use of buildings/units, insurance coverage, affordable housing and rent control.

with zoning its very hard to go backwards, so better to come up with a plan before moving forward.

I dunno, I'm feeling less concerned.

This doesn't increase occupancy. I don't see how it would impact any housing or safety codes.

The city isn't liable. And if you offer a short-term rental without proper insurance, it's your own neck on the line, and you get what you deserve.

There were 100,000 housing units in JC in 2010 -- I'm sure there are many more now. There's probably... 200 short-term rentals now? Even if it was 2000, that's a drop in the bucket. It's not going to affect residential availability. It's barely going to affect most JC residents.

It isn't going to impact affordable housing or rent control, either. In theory someone might be able to leverage the artificially low rents. In practice, it is unlikely they'd earn enough to rent out their low-cost apartment and rent out another unit and make a profit.

I don't see how a one-line ordinance is difficult to adjust or overturn.

I can see how there is a small chance that some units could turn into "party houses." In that case, I'd think the standard noise and nuisance laws will apply. If they aren't sufficient to handle noisy neighbors, maybe the problem isn't AirBNB.

And again, while this is new to JC, it's not really new. Apartments in residential neighborhoods have been available for years in Europe. It hasn't decimated those cities. It just hasn't been a big thing in the US.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
this is the text at the bottom of the proposed ordinance, no restrictions, no limitations (and not just airbnb) -

"This ordinance will allow short term rentals accessory uses in all zoning districts and redevelopment plan areas where residential use is permitted."

Just because a law exists which allows something, it doesn't mean that something will become a commonplace thing. Stop being such an alarmist!

Posted on: 2015/10/15 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this is the text at the bottom of the proposed ordinance, no restrictions, no limitations (and not just airbnb) -

"This ordinance will allow short term rentals accessory uses in all zoning districts and redevelopment plan areas where residential use is permitted."

Posted on: 2015/10/15 0:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

So many Chicken Little types in here... How is passing an AirBnB tax going to bring about any of those dangers and pitfalls into reality?? At the end of the day, how's having an AirBnB guest any different than having a relative or friend visiting and staying with you? Or, opening your home to house sitter while you are out of town?? Yes, someone is paying you to stay there, but what's the big deal? Do people here really believe that because the city is approving a new use tax for AirBnB rentals that will somehow convince hordes of people to start renting their apartments or rooms on AirBnB?? I don't get it.

Agreed. Anyone commenting in this regard likely doesn't have much experience with the platform. Its a reputation based system so there is quite a bit of upkeep. A single negative review is much more detrimental than it would be on a service like Yelp! You need your space to be quite clean. You can certainly pass these cleaning costs off to the renter via the platform but that disincentivizes your rental compared to a cheaper listing or cuts into your bottom line.

Hosts are also tracked based on their response rate and response time to inquiries. This does quickly become unmanageable when you are fielding messages from Europeans attempting to low ball your rental rate with some bleeding heart story.

In my experience, most renters are looking to stay in JC over the weekend. This leaves a lot of holes in your monthly calendar and drops your overall income significantly. You'll be forced to slash prices during the week to make what the same as, or more than you would if you simply leased the apartment at market rate.

This is 100% correct.

How many random craigslist subletters are living just under your nose? When it's unseen, no one seems to care. When it's a new platform, that does all this subletting and vacation renting better, with the added benefits of verification, host statistics/reviews it alleviates the anonymity for people trying to fill short stays, sublets and extra rooms.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Aside from all the negatives, money grabs and renter/landlord issues, there is still an overwhelming positive of the tourism revenue in JC. Many businesses will profit.

Also, the amount of verification and insurance that Airbnb imparts to protect landlords and guests is actually quite substantial. Actual Driver's Licenses are verified, credit cards must match. I won't go into the fine print, but its not a bunch of scumbags who want to wipe shit on the walls. People resistant to change and technology don't understand it, and old school landlords/renters should either adapt and potentially profit from it, or stop complaining. The competition around staging your place, and having verified Airbnb photos so your house looks better than one down the block just makes a better neighborhood for everybody.

They have $1M damages insurance attached to any stay. The amount of personal interaction with people who are staying with you, or in your place also makes it safer than random craigslist sublets.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Most of the people bitching and moaning about the impacts are the same people that bitch and moan about everything that happens in this town.

The reality is that 99.9% of people won't notice a thing by this happening. Could rental units come off the market so landlords can dedicate it as an AirBnB apartment? Sure, if the landlord wants to be a full-time hotelier that has to spend every other day of the month attending to their properties. Do you know many landlords that want to do that?

Posted on: 2015/10/14 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Airbnb should be banned in Jersey City. Keep the transients in hotels and keep residences for residents. This will only reduce the available housing stock for residents, reduce quality of life for residents, and be an income source for Fulop.

Good luck with that. Where there is demand, people will find a way. See the War on Drugs.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/14 17:13

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017