Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New No Parking signs - Beware - 4th and Coles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I think JC may have different laws that override that but I'm not certain.

The state laws are stupid anyway. 50 feet in either direction for a fire hydrant as well. If we had to follow all of the parking restrictions set at the state level we wouldn't have anywhere to park in this city.

There is nothing in the JC municipal code that overrides the state statutes regarding parking clearance distances from intersections or hydrants. The NJ State Law can be found here: http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-39/39-4/39-4-138.

BTW, the distance in either direction of a hydrant is NOT 50 feet. It is 10 feet in either direction.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Speaking of speed humps, has anyone see the new ones installed on Duncan between JFK and Bergen? Who ever installed them was courteous enough to leave two gaps in the hump so a car can drive right though the hump without slowing down. Thank god they kept the hump in the bike lane. I don't know what we would do without the hump to slow down all those reckless people riding bikes in a bike lane. Don't bicyclists know that the bike lane is for double parking your car?

I would call the Ward (B) councilman as well as the three-at-large concerning the improper cut and extension on that speed bump. They should also paint them yellow. Well the only consolation is if the biker bounces too hard they get a payout for to wide a bump.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 21:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC may have different laws that override that but I'm not certain.

The state laws are stupid anyway. 50 feet in either direction for a fire hydrant as well. If we had to follow all of the parking restrictions set at the state level we wouldn't have anywhere to park in this city.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of speed humps, has anyone see the new ones installed on Duncan between JFK and Bergen? Who ever installed them was courteous enough to leave two gaps in the hump so a car can drive right though the hump without slowing down. Thank god they kept the hump in the bike lane. I don't know what we would do without the hump to slow down all those reckless people riding bikes in a bike lane. Don't bicyclists know that the bike lane is for double parking your car?

Posted on: 2015/12/3 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
This stupid topic should be a sticky here. It gets brought up weekly.

What you posted details exactly what I said. "Not in every instance" certainly covers e.(2) does it not?

Also, I say again, if the law is stupid, why not change the stupid law?

ALSO, doesn't this stuff have to get approved? Did that happen or did they just throw signs up? If so, why? Who complained about the relative ease of parking on their street?

Serious question: where in JC can you find an intersection with a curb extension or bulbout? I can't think of any.

I agree with you that stupid laws should be repealed or modified. But, this being a STATE LAW, it would require action by the Legislature and approval by the Governor. I don't see that happening any time soon.

As for putting up signs, the city can do so on city owned/maintained streets. Just like they went crazy putting up STOP signs all over DTJC soon after Fulop came to power. That was an epic boondoggle, surpassed only by the speed hump fiasco.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
This stupid topic should be a sticky here. It gets brought up weekly.

What you posted details exactly what I said. "Not in every instance" certainly covers e.(2) does it not?

Also, I say again, if the law is stupid, why not change the stupid law?

ALSO, doesn't this stuff have to get approved? Did that happen or did they just throw signs up? If so, why? Who complained about the relative ease of parking on their street?

Posted on: 2015/12/3 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

triscuit12 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know why they added these signs? They are much further from the intersection than they need to be.

Exactly! Parking within 25 feet of an intersection is illegal. Quite likely the most ignored and abused regulation in JC.

Not so in every instance.

Also, if a law is stupid, why not change the law?

Wut!? The State of NJ seems to disagree with you...

39:4-138. Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a traffic or police officer or traffic sign or signal, no operator of a vehicle shall stand or park the vehicle in any of the following places:

a. Within an intersection;

b. On a crosswalk;

c. Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within at least 20 feet of a point on the curb immediately opposite the end of a safety zone;

d. In front of a public or private driveway;

e.

(1) Within 25 feet of the nearest crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway, except at alleys and as provided in section 2 of P.L.2009, c.257 (C.39:4-138.6); or

(2) Within 10 feet of the nearest crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway, if a curb extension or bulbout has been constructed at that crosswalk;

Posted on: 2015/12/3 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

triscuit12 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know why they added these signs? They are much further from the intersection than they need to be.

Exactly! Parking within 25 feet of an intersection is illegal. Quite likely the most ignored and abused regulation in JC.

Not so in every instance.

Also, if a law is stupid, why not change the law?

Posted on: 2015/12/3 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The new sign at the corner of Pavonia and Monmouth has to be more than 25ft from the intersection. Probably enough room for one of those Poland Spring delivery trucks, maybe with even room to spare.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

triscuit12 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/3 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
How far away are they? I think the law is 25 feet?

Posted on: 2015/12/3 13:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/2 2:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
On a somewhat related note, has anyone else been waiting on new parking permits? I sent in the renewal form at least 3 weeks ago. I called JCPA a week ago and they said they, "have a huge pile of mail here" and are essentially just behind. They told me that they won't be issuing tickets, which they haven't (because my permit expired on 9/30), but I'm wondering what's going on.

Can't speak to the delay in getting permit renewals, but I can say that showing up in person is the absolute best way to go. When I went to the office to get my permit, it took me 10 minutes to get it all done and I walked out with my permit on hand. When I walked in, there was no one there besides the woman in charge of helping customers, and two other employees hanging out. The three of them were just chitchatting, so not much work getting done, but were very friendly and quickly took care of me.

Definitely true if you are in the area Mon-Fri 8am-6pm! I just called again, and they said it was mailed out yesterday. We'll see!

Posted on: 2015/10/14 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
On a somewhat related note, has anyone else been waiting on new parking permits? I sent in the renewal form at least 3 weeks ago. I called JCPA a week ago and they said they, "have a huge pile of mail here" and are essentially just behind. They told me that they won't be issuing tickets, which they haven't (because my permit expired on 9/30), but I'm wondering what's going on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the expiration date on your permit, I've seen numerous cars parked around town with stickers dating back to 2013 or later.

This is also VERY true. There is a car parked down the street with a collection of old permits on its back window (they are artfully organized into a 2x4 rectangle) with a mix of zones on them. I am not sure if this a ploy to confuse parking enforcement (unlikely they climb off their carts to check the dates!) or just the person having fun.

The city should use automated checking via video camera instead of relying on Parking Authority personnel checking the stickers. It IS the 21st century.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Why are the no parking signs there?

Posted on: 2015/10/14 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the expiration date on your permit, I've seen numerous cars parked around town with stickers dating back to 2013 or later.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:

Can't speak to the delay in getting permit renewals, but I can say that showing up in person is the absolute best way to go. When I went to the office to get my permit, it took me 10 minutes to get it all done and I walked out with my permit on hand. When I walked in, there was no one there besides the woman in charge of helping customers, and two other employees hanging out. The three of them were just chitchatting, so not much work getting done, but were very friendly and quickly took care of me.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 14:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/14 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The one on the corner of Pavonia and Monmouth is ridiculous, you could park at least 3 cars in that "No Parking" space.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 13:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
Saw new ones on Pavonia in the Coles/Monmouth/Brunswick area too.

Posted on: 2015/10/13 22:30

New No Parking signs - Beware - 4th and Coles

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/23 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Put up in the last few days. Ever decreasing availability of on-street parking. Poor timing with the PSEG related parking restrictions.

Posted on: 2015/10/13 16:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017