Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Turn on the Heat!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:

Dredging up an old topic, but I've been doing some research on the PSEG Plant near the Western Slope, just west of 1/9. It seems that they have 3 generators there, 2 that are closed, and 1 that still runs solely on coal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unit 2 is the only one that is still in operation and it is fueled by coal. I don't think it was even running recently because there was no water plume coming out of it during the cold spell.

I wouldn't worry about the plant. It has been upgraded to the point where there is little in the way of particulate, SOx, or NOx emissions. The technology to burn coal clean really took off during the 1990s. The only reason that coal is being phased out is that natural gas for the moment is so cheap.

In fact, the biggest source of smog until relatively recently was from the natural gas turbines installed in South Kearny. When you drove on the Skyway on a hot day, you could see a column of yellow-brown smog rising from the generators.

Those generators have since been retrofitted / replaced with units equipped with SCRs. So the smog columns are no more.

EDIT: Hudson Unit 2 can also run on gas. It maybe running on gas now because gas is cheaper than coal.

Informative, thank you. You seem to know what you're talking about, and this answers the question that I started a new thread for.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:

Dredging up an old topic, but I've been doing some research on the PSEG Plant near the Western Slope, just west of 1/9. It seems that they have 3 generators there, 2 that are closed, and 1 that still runs solely on coal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unit 2 is the only one that is still in operation and it is fueled by coal. I don't think it was even running recently because there was no water plume coming out of it during the cold spell.

I wouldn't worry about the plant. It has been upgraded to the point where there is little in the way of particulate, SOx, or NOx emissions. The technology to burn coal clean really took off during the 1990s. The only reason that coal is being phased out is that natural gas for the moment is so cheap.

In fact, the biggest source of smog until relatively recently was from the natural gas turbines installed in South Kearny. When you drove on the Skyway on a hot day, you could see a column of yellow-brown smog rising from the generators.

Those generators have since been retrofitted / replaced with units equipped with SCRs. So the smog columns are no more.

EDIT: Hudson Unit 2 can also run on gas. It maybe running on gas now because gas is cheaper than coal.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 15:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Dual fuel boilers I see a lot in commercial.. in particular hospitals. The facility gets a discount on gas if they agree to burn oil when the outdoor temperature goes below a certain set point. The goal is to shave off demand on the gas delivery system.

I don't worry about running out of gas. Right now I worry about actually delivering it. With coal and nuclear plants being phased out, the demand for natural gas has gone way up (ex. the Hudson Generating Station is now running on gas).

The New England governors had an emergency meeting last year. New England came close to rolling blackouts because they only barely could meet the demand due to an inadequate pipeline capacity.

I would prefer if the new generating plants relied less on gas and more on coal and nuclear (in particular the latter). Our current trajectory could put us in a world of hurt if something happens to the gas delivery system.

So you might be wise to keep a dual fuel boiler.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

*Or you could just bullshit about the cost of your heating bill.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dual fuel boilers I see a lot in commercial.. in particular hospitals. The facility gets a discount on gas if they agree to burn oil when the outdoor temperature goes below a certain set point. The goal is to shave off demand on the gas delivery system.

I don't worry about running out of gas. Right now I worry about actually delivering it. With coal and nuclear plants being phased out, the demand for natural gas has gone way up (ex. the Hudson Generating Station is now running on gas).

The New England governors had an emergency meeting last year. New England came close to rolling blackouts because they only barely could meet the demand due to an inadequate pipeline capacity.

I would prefer if the new generating plants relied less on gas and more on coal and nuclear (in particular the latter). Our current trajectory could put us in a world of hurt if something happens to the gas delivery system.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

And what constant temp. are you setting your new gas furnace ?

With cold winters (as just past) you're getting away with only 3.5k (or 4.5k for our resident understudy).

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The previous owner, according to sales documents, had been spending $12,000 a year to heat a 3.5 unit building. I thought that was ridiculous and knew I could bring it down. Going to gas and not letting the tenants set the temp brought it to $3k.

By doing what ?

installling seperate heating systems in each apartment ?

figures don't jive.

No, it's as MDM described. I thought about spending the tens of thousands splitting up the heat and ripping out the steam system till I realized my heating cost wasn't the bill, it was the "difference" between the bill and the heat cost I built into the free market rental price.

MDM, as you are apparently a student of heating, you might be amused at how I did the boiler replacement. It's a oil type boiler with a gas burner, and I kept the oil burner and brand new oil tank intact, so if oil ever becomes cheaper (algae biofuel breakthrough?) I can easily switch back. My heating guy said the water jacket type boiler was several points more efficient.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The previous owner, according to sales documents, had been spending $12,000 a year to heat a 3.5 unit building. I thought that was ridiculous and knew I could bring it down. Going to gas and not letting the tenants set the temp brought it to $3k.

By doing what ?

figures don't jive.

No, it's as MDM described. I thought about spending the tens of thousands splitting up the heat and ripping out the steam system till I realized my heating cost wasn't the bill, it was the "difference" between the bill and the heat cost I built into the free market rental price.

MDM, as you are apparently a student of heating, you might be amused at how I did the boiler replacement. It's a oil type boiler with a gas burner, and I kept the oil burner and brand new oil tank intact, so if oil ever becomes cheaper (algae biofuel breakthrough?) I can easily switch back. My heating guy said the water jacket type boiler was several points more efficient.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I feel the need to add this video to the discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzXlRzM6PQ

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

By doing what ?

figures don't jive.

Actually his figures do. Until the recent crash in oil prices the spread in the cost of heating value of natural gas vs. no. 2 heating oils was about $1.80 per 100,000 Btu.

Roughly (assuming no efficiency increase going to gas), you are talking about reducing the heating costs from $12k to $4,500.

Reducing the temperature set-point from 78 oF to 70 oF would knock about another 13% off the heating load. Adding insulation, fixing windows that don't close, etc. could easily knock another $1k off.

And, add to the equation that, when someone is not paying for something, they are much less likely to be economical about it. I have seen people keep windows open during winter, with heat set to full blast, because "the heat is too dry and stuffy" so they open the windows to circulate air... I am sure that if the same people were paying out of pocket for that heat, they wouldn't keep their windows open during the winter.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

By doing what ?

figures don't jive.

Actually his figures do. Until the recent crash in oil prices the spread in the cost of heating value of natural gas vs. no. 2 heating oils was about $1.80 per 100,000 Btu.

Roughly (assuming no efficiency increase going to gas), you are talking about reducing the heating costs from $12k to $4,500.

Reducing the temperature set-point from 78 oF to 70 oF would knock about another 13% off the heating load. Adding insulation, fixing windows that don't close, etc. could easily knock another $1k off.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

By doing what ?

figures don't jive.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
78 degrees is hot. i remember once once gong to look at buying a building in bergen lafayette. the female tenant answered the door in february in shorts and a tank top and complained that the landlord was not keeping the place hot enough. i kid you not!

That sounds like my old tenant!! Just after I replaced the boiler I get a call at 10 pm from her saying it's freezing. I hightail it up there with an infrared thermometer and find the place is 71 deg. She's standing there in february in shorts and tank top. I suggest maybe she should put on clothing and she says "that's bullshit!!"

Amazingly, (and happy for me) she moved out when she found a new construction apt with heat included, that would take her section 8. What idiot includes heat or takes section 8 in new construction?

Posted on: 2015/10/8 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Jerseymom, I texted my landlord at 8pm on Friday about my heat not being on. Finally Saturday at 3pm my landlord texted and said the heat was broken and must be fixed, and that it would be fixed Monday Oct, 5th. My heat is still not on, so I texted my landlord this morning and asked for an update. Her response was it was fixed on Monday, and that it must drop below 55 for it to start working, WHICH IS FREAKING WRONG ACCORDING TO THE MUNICIPAL CODE I POSTED HERE BEFORE. I have texted her the entire municipal code, and will mail her a copy today.

This is the specific part of the code I mention:

"The specified temperatures are required between October 1st and April 30th REGARDLESS OF THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and between May 1st and September 30th WHENEVER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES."

I am very upset about this as I had so many problems with my last landlord and did noting legal about it. I just wanted to get the hell out of my last apartment. I won't repeat not taking legal action again.

Good luck renewing your lease.

Complain when it's cold out.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
USER111, CatDog, JCBiscuit:

Heat of a temperature not less than 70 degrees (F) must be supplied from 6 AM to 11 PM and 65 degrees (F) from 11 PM to 6 AM in residences and during the regular hours of employment in places of employment.

The specified temperatures are required between October 1st and April 30th REGARDLESS OF THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and between May 1st and September 30th WHENEVER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES.

http://mygovhelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs ... .aspx?sSessionID=&aid=340

honey, if you are cold I believe you. I was cold on Friday night as well. I did not turn on the heat but I did crank up the gas fire place. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2015/10/7 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, it's 70 degrees outside and I have all my windows open. I think this is wonderful; nice breeze through the house, no heat or a/c bills. Looking at the forecast, I have no plans to even turn on my boiler for at least another two weeks.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 21:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
USER111, CatDog, JCBiscuit:

Heat of a temperature not less than 70 degrees (F) must be supplied from 6 AM to 11 PM and 65 degrees (F) from 11 PM to 6 AM in residences and during the regular hours of employment in places of employment.

The specified temperatures are required between October 1st and April 30th REGARDLESS OF THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and between May 1st and September 30th WHENEVER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES.

http://mygovhelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs ... .aspx?sSessionID=&aid=340

Posted on: 2015/10/7 21:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It was cold in my apartment Friday night. And the heat is included in my rent as is the gas. If I run a space heater I have to buy it and pay for the electricity needed to run it. This is why laws exist. Why do you need to be a jerk? I have called the city so they can deal with my landlord.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have a neighbor who grew up in public housing. She purchased a her first home and kept the heat at 80 degrees because she said that is what she was use to... in the projects they blast the heat. That did not last too long after she got her first $800 bill she now keeps it at 65 LMAO

Posted on: 2015/10/7 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I can't imagine how your place dropped to 55. My heat isn't on yet and I've had the windows partially open the whole last week and I've been fine.

On a related note, there's a hilarious guy on reddit.com/r/jerseycity/ complaining about his heat, and how he prefers to keep it at 76-80 degrees in the winter, which is absurd. I think a lot of transplants from warmer climes just don't understand the concepts of sweaters and slippers.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Oh for heaven's sake. It is the first week of October. Close your windows and put on a sweater. If the problem persists into November, you've received a lot of good advice on this thread.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 20:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
I am starting to doubt that the landlords are your problem. How cold could it have possibly dropped in your apartment? I haven't touched my heat yet and I can't possibly live to far from you. You seem to be looking for things to bitch about. go buy a space heater or put on a sweatshirt and stop playing victim.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Jerseymom, I texted my landlord at 8pm on Friday about my heat not being on. Finally Saturday at 3pm my landlord texted and said the heat was broken and must be fixed, and that it would be fixed Monday Oct, 5th. My heat is still not on, so I texted my landlord this morning and asked for an update. Her response was it was fixed on Monday, and that it must drop below 55 for it to start working, WHICH IS FREAKING WRONG ACCORDING TO THE MUNICIPAL CODE I POSTED HERE BEFORE. I have texted her the entire municipal code, and will mail her a copy today.

This is the specific part of the code I mention:

"The specified temperatures are required between October 1st and April 30th REGARDLESS OF THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and between May 1st and September 30th WHENEVER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES."

I am very upset about this as I had so many problems with my last landlord and did noting legal about it. I just wanted to get the hell out of my last apartment. I won't repeat not taking legal action again.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I think she finally just moved back to her parent's home.

After she deemed you a eunuch ?

Posted on: 2015/10/5 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Funny, and somewhat interesting: I once read somewhere (pretty sure it was in a Time magazine) that UPS drivers VERY OFTEN run into situations of ringing doors to deliver packages which are answered by women barely dressed

When I was in my early 20s, I was a defacto building super in this dump of a building I lived in in Hoboken.

The tenant above me.. this really cute blonde would answer the door often wearing nothing but a towel. I think she just got a kick out of doing that. I certainly didn't mind.

The woman on the top floor was older. She would greet the guy brought in for major repairs wearing nothing but a cotton thong and a very tight fitting tank top. It kind of freaked him out a bit since his wife also worked with him (she was the detail painter).

Posted on: 2015/10/5 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
well?

Woman in her late 20s or early 30s. Very attractive, but a bit of a demanding pain-in-the-ass. I used to refer her as "The Princess". She came from a Brahmin class family (should I cross post this in the Indian Female Assimilation topic?) and I don't think she ever lived 'alone' once in her life.

She lived with her BF who eventually bought his own place, but cancelled plans on taking her with him. I think he just got tired of dealing with her.

Her BF was a rather non-Indian Indian (even though not born here). He loved the United States and gave me the impression he wanted to be full American citizen as soon as possible.

So after he left, she did something rather not typical for an Indian woman: She went through a series of male roommates. Not boyfriends... but roommates. None lasted long as each one kept annoying her. She once told me, "I think I just don't like other Indians".

Then she basically ran out of roommates. She never had a woman a roommate.. I don't know.. maybe a Queen Bee complex prevented her from getting one. Or she really just like the feeling of safety having a man around.

Anyway.. I think she kind of freaked out living alone (frightened). The area as a bit rougher back then (gang activity and other idiots) and I think every sound outside would startle her.

I started getting a lot more phone calls from her about stuff going wrong in the apartment. When I got to her place, she would try to keep a conversation going to keep me around longer. There was really nothing wrong in the apartment!

Then each call, she would progressively become more 'casually' dressed. One trip over there (thermostat not working.. she saw a mouse.. I can't remember what the pretext for her calling me was) she wasn't wearing much at all:

Tighty-tight-shorty-shorts that were see through (no underwear). She also wore a really loose-knit see-through sweater with no bra or tee-shirt underneath. It was as close to her being naked without actually being naked. I got a full show of just about every detail of her body.

It was like she was saying, "Here are my boobs! Please don't go!".

I think she finally just moved back to her parent's home.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
On Saturday morning one of my tenants told me that she wants the heat consistently at 72, but on Sunday afternoon I walked past the front of the house and she had the windows wide open.

Serious question: what options/remedies are available to a landlord in such a situation? What happens if a tenant reports a landlord for temperature/heat violations, but said tenant is unfairly/recklessly acting in a way that makes those temps impossible/hard to maintain?? Even if a report is not filed, if a landlord is responsible for providing/paying for heat, it would seem rather unfair for a tenant to keep windows/doors open and expect the internal temperature to be kept at 72 degrees. Just wondering.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
78 degrees is hot. i remember once once gong to look at buying a building in bergen lafayette. the female tenant answered the door in february in shorts and a tank top and complained that the landlord was not keeping the place hot enough. i kid you not!

I had one who used to answer the door in a lot less than that. I think she really didn't like being alone, her boyfriend moved out and left her, and I was still single at the time.
well?

Funny, and somewhat interesting: I once read somewhere (pretty sure it was in a Time magazine) that UPS drivers VERY OFTEN run into situations of ringing doors to deliver packages which are answered by women barely dressed (sometimes panties and bras, sometimes just towels, sometimes see-thru outfits with nothing underneath) and that it would be a regular occurrence (same woman, same address) in some routes. I guess every person has its own style/fetish/desire/kinks. Of course, in JC, there is little of this happening... most UPS drivers never leave their trucks to attempt and make a delivery, and the ones that do get off, hardly ever ring the bell. :/

Posted on: 2015/10/5 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I had one who used to answer the door in a lot less than that. I think she really didn't like being alone, her boyfriend moved out and left her, and I was still single at the time.
well?

Posted on: 2015/10/5 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
On Saturday morning one of my tenants told me that she wants the heat consistently at 72, but on Sunday afternoon I walked past the front of the house and she had the windows wide open.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/5 3:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017