Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Proposed Recommendations to Downtown Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think that some people have what we can call "car envy."

They don't have a car (likely because they don't need it for their job or some other purpose), but they have some sort of resentment towards those who do have cars. So they seem to support anything that will make car owners' lives as miserable as possible.

Sorry to that crowd but our public transport system sucks. This isn't NYC, no matter how much you will for it to be. Improve public transport and maybe less people will need cars. Personally I don't see that happening any time soon, so cars are here to stay. Get over your car envy and get used to it.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I think that a lot of the changes make good sense and aren't outrageous to implement (new parking signs and some paint)

I think that it would be good to see more parking enforcement and more trash collection out.... we definitely could use that regardless of what happens and if 2x a week street cleaning makes that happen I totally support it (and lets be honest those street cleaners barely do anything besides pushing the mess around)

I am one of those people who even though they love living in JC, I can not give up my car (provided and needed by my job) and I appreciate that there is actually a plan in place to help residents rather than just the call to not support parking and cars. I will admit I use my car to run errands at times because when I am coming home from work why would I drive by the store, go home and park and then walk and carry my stuff home? it just doesn't make sense and by having some type of legal parking by the downtown it makes me a lot more likely to support in town businesses than ones out in the suburbs where I go to work.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO, the real changes here are contained in slides 6 and 16 ? recommendations for ?market rate? and ?dynamic, demand driven? pricing, respectively. The rest are, generally speaking, tinkering.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
Awesome Candice! Keep fighting for our rights as vehicle owners! I for one am never going to ride my skateboard or scooter or bicycle ANYWHERE in this town. God bless the motor vehicle! Car's are not going away...better to attempt to manage the chaos than to be disillusioned in thinking that we are all gonna ride our little scooters to work and lug my case of beer home balanced on my head!

YOU GOTTA FIGHT...

FOR YOUR RIGHT...

TO PARK IN A DENSE AND GROWING URBAN AREA

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I believe it is currently out for review, and comments are sought.

But I wonder if anyone on this thread has actually opened the slide deck an looked through the slides...

a) Re-paint corners red, and enforce = improves line of sight and pedestrian / bicycle safety at intersections

b) Reduce street cleaning to twice per week = reassign traffic wardens to enforce actual dangerous parking (rather than people who don't get out in time to move car for unnecessary frequent street cleaning). And re-assign JCIA staff to empty overflowing trash cans, and maybe even clogged drains?

c) Bump out pilot

d) Etc

What's so bad with these suggestions?

These are changes that would be improvements for everyone - whether you have a vehicle or not!

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome Candice! Keep fighting for our rights as vehicle owners! I for one am never going to ride my skateboard or scooter or bicycle ANYWHERE in this town. God bless the motor vehicle! Car's are not going away...better to attempt to manage the chaos than to be disillusioned in thinking that we are all gonna ride our little scooters to work and lug my case of beer home balanced on my head!

Posted on: 2015/10/2 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
So if you can't find a suitable public school you go private or suburbs, but if you can't find a parking space they cut street cleaning.

How about a two step program:
benign neglect
enforcement

Eventually people will pretend their car is like a Jersey City child and either go private or move. Maybe someone should write a book: What to Name Your Baby-Motor. ( French Cathedrals are cool: Chartres, Sens, Amiens...)

Can't speak for the rest of JC, but a cop on the beat issuing parking tickets in DTJC might pay for him/her self and maybe save a life or injury. Ever see a firetruck or ambulance not able to turn?

Posted on: 2015/10/2 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is nothing that gives me less confidence in the future of Jersey City than the constant worrying about vehicle parking. While every other urban city in the country is worried about and interested in improving mass transit, and making cities LESS car-friendly, not more so.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 6:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
it would be nice if curbs were painted red and actually enforced.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There would not be a problem if the city requires new construction to have equal parking to equal units. The city should also replace parking lots that have buildings on them. The city created this problem, not the motorists.

Did you even read it?

Posted on: 2015/10/2 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
There would not be a problem if the city requires new construction to have equal parking to equal units. The city should also replace parking lots that have buildings on them. The city created this problem, not the motorists.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 2:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Marvelous. Our councilwoman is on the eternal crusade against motorists.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 2:13

Proposed Recommendations to Downtown Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting deck from Candice Osborne.

Link