Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Handbills
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in agreement with the anti-handbill measures as well. It is annoying and when it rains the handbills stick to my windshield and can be a hassle to remove. I can't remember if I received a politician's handbill but it's possible. Most of the time it was for liquor stores, cell phones and Chinese takeouts - all places I subsequently would never spend any money at.

On the subject of "silencing a minority voice in politics" that Yvonne mentioned, that is just ridiculous. While I agree that newbie politicians will always have a tough time running against more established ones, social media has leveled the playing field greatly. If a politician can't learn how to use social media to run their campaign and must resort to using the annoying paper fliers, they certainly wouldn't get my vote.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
If this is why I was spared the bother of recycling two packets of grocery ads this week, then I'm all for it.

BTW those flyers are on line, if you must look at them, and Shop-rite's coupons load onto your card. No paper, happy trees!!

Don't have much cause to visit other parts of the city, but downtown is pretty clean for an urban area, maybe because residents clean up after the sweeper and the trash collectors.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
They can write their message on a $20 bill and leave it on my car or in my mailbox anytime.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
I've owned cars in JC for over 20 years. I made a rule for myself a long time ago: If you put a flyer on my car I will not use your business or vote for you. Simple as that.

A political flyer sends a message-- you really aren't trying given today's technology. You are stuck in a bygone era.

And you have no consideration for other people's property.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've owned cars in JC for over 20 years. I made a rule for myself a long time ago: If you put a flyer on my car I will not use your business or vote for you. Simple as that.

A political flyer sends a message-- you really aren't trying given today's technology. You are stuck in a bygone era.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, this has nothing to do with Boggiano, I was against this when Schundler created this ordinance back in the 1990s. You can use any reason to silence a minority voice in politics. Now it is to keep the city clean. The city is not clean, Union City does a great job of cleaning the city, they employ men with brooms, containers, and they physically clean the street, unlike the street cleaning machines in JC that just move the leaves and garbage around. Neither is the city clean when it does a poor job of allowing the snow to pile up until it is disgusting.

So Yvonne, is this about Politics, or is it about Street Cleaning (and comparing Union City with a grand total of 1.283 square miles vs. Jersey City with 21.080 square miles is pretty absurd), or is about slow snow removal during an epic Winter? Sheesh, I thought this was about Handbills...

Posted on: 2015/9/25 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess you were not around in the 1990s. Schundler created the original ordinance and Fulop introduced fines. Same ordinance, but now a maximum fine of $2,000. This is using the power of the state to go after the newbie who wants to run for office.
I don't think I've ever gotten a political handbill on my car. It's 99.99% ads for cell phones, nightclubs, carwashes, and other garbage that either goes straight into the trash or gets stuck on my windshield after a rain. Good riddance to handbills. Yvonne, you're a piece of work.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess you were not around in the 1990s. Schundler created the original ordinance and Fulop introduced fines. Same ordinance, but now a maximum fine of $2,000. This is using the power of the state to go after the newbie who wants to run for office.

I don't care. No one should have the right to touch another person's car without permission.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, this has nothing to do with Boggiano, I was against this when Schundler created this ordinance back in the 1990s. You can use any reason to silence a minority voice in politics. Now it is to keep the city clean. The city is not clean, Union City does a great job of cleaning the city, they employ men with brooms, containers, and they physically clean the street, unlike the street cleaning machines in JC that just move the leaves and garbage around. Neither is the city clean when it does a poor job of allowing the snow to pile up until it is disgusting.

Ask Hillary how Bernie Sanders is getting attention? Ask the music industry how independent artists are now utilizing the internet to obtain a foothold?

In the 1990s, I was that nerd online but the Geocities site I had up wouldn?t get traffic worth a squat. These days, you are posting on a message board. The technology has advanced far enough that social media outreach has shrunk communities and people are able to access information faster.

Putting a flyer on a car is very unnecessary. It really does only create waste.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:54
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

What?

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

What?

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
If JC gets occupied by a foreign military and we need to drop leaflets from B-17s to organize a rebellion, I'm all for that. Otherwise, I don't need Grand Sichuan leaving a menu on my doorstep every Thursday to let me know their food hasn't changed in 8 years.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, I have a problem with politicians attacking people who want to be in the political process with limited resources. After all, not everyone receives contributions from developers.

If Fulop was in support of handbills you'd be against it so whatevs...

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, they are using social media, but not everyone is online and they are voters, too. Guess what, I know people who do not read the Jersey Journal whether the print or the on-line versions, but they are drivers and placing a paper on their car is cheaper than the cost of mailing. As I said before, not everyone is in the pocket of developers and those people running for office have limited resources.

I was there last night and quite happy with the resolution.

If a politician of ?limited resources? wishes to get their message out, they should go door-to-door. Putting fliers on cars simply creates trash in the streets and passes on a clean-up cost to residents.

The *only* reason that you are not in favor of this is because Boggiano uses fliers and claims that this is the only way to get his message out. I?m sorry, but that is irresponsible. Our elected officials should be more creative than to stick with a trite and antiquated delivery system that wastes paper and creates litter and garbage.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, I have a problem with politicians attacking people who want to be in the political process with limited resources. After all, not everyone receives contributions from developers.

And I have a problem with the dozen or so flyers I get every week on my steps or under my windshield wiper blade. Pizza places, Chinese Food, Nail Salons, Yoga Studios, etc., etc.

And those things end up floating around on the streets and sidewalks for DAYS after they're distributed. It's Litter...

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yesterday, former Mayor Schundler's old law became alive again. During his day he passed an ordinance against handbills, now Mayor Fulop has updated this ordinance. City ordinance 15.127 imposes fines of $100.00 up to $2,000 for putting flyers on cars, etc. The city council claims this is to keep the city cleaner but we know the person running for public office with limited resources will use handbills to get out his message out. Even Councilman Boggiano said he used handbills and he voted no.

Why should anyone have the right to touch another person's property without their permission?

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they are using social media, but not everyone is online and they are voters, too. Guess what, I know people who do not read the Jersey Journal whether the print or the on-line versions, but they are drivers and placing a paper on their car is cheaper than the cost of mailing. As I said before, not everyone is in the pocket of developers and those people running for office have limited resources.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to 2015, many successful politicians are using social media oppose to handbills.

In case you didn't know many people are no longer reading newspapers due to news content being available online.

Sometimes I swear I live in a hick town..

Posted on: 2015/9/25 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/25 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
So you are for trash?

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:55

Handbills
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday, former Mayor Schundler's old law became alive again. During his day he passed an ordinance against handbills, now Mayor Fulop has updated this ordinance. City ordinance 15.127 imposes fines of $100.00 up to $2,000 for putting flyers on cars, etc. The city council claims this is to keep the city cleaner but we know the person running for public office with limited resources will use handbills to get out his message out. Even Councilman Boggiano said he used handbills and he voted no.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017