Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: fighting to keep existing height and density zoning in The Village

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/22 19:17
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
a 45 unit building is asking for variances, and we are just hearing about it hours before that happens? really?

is it that they think they don't need to inform us, or that they don't want us to be informed?

Posted on: 2015/10/13 17:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/2 18:18
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
It's a busy week in development news in the Village.

There are at least three Village items on the current agenda for this Thursday's meeting of the Board of Adjustment (link to the schedule and agenda for the Board hasn't been updated at the time of this posting - http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/zoningboardagenda/ - but it is meeting in two days, on Thursday, Oct 15 at 6:30pm)

One item (on 1st Street, mentioned in earlier posts) tried to sneak in without presenting to the Village Neighborhood Association during the August session, but it was persuaded to make a presentation to the community last month, and received a lot of criticism when it did so. Reportedly it has decided to shrink from 5 stories to 4 stories, but that's still more than allowed by current zoning, not to mention the lot coverage. There are a number of us planning to show up at the Zoning meeting on Thursday to voice our opposition to their plan.

Two other buildings on the agenda also decided to initially bypass the Village Neighborhood Association.

One is a proposed 6-story, 45-unit building on Newark Avenue and 6th Street (20 parking spaces). The VNA is having an emergency meeting at 7:30pm tonight to discuss it - concerned Villagers should attend if possible, or write to the Board about your concerns if you can't make it. Here is the VNA website: http://www.jcvillage.org/

The other building proposal is now almost certainly going to be postponed on the Zoning agenda until the next meeting. This is a development at 375 5th Street (between Brunswick and Newark) which earlier this year proposed a 7-story, 19 unit, no parking building on an R1 lot (3-story, 1 or 2 family allowed). After much community opposition, they withdrew their proposal, and then it popped up again last week when the immediate neighbors received their legal notifications about it. This time they want 5-stories and 14 units (again, no parking).

They initially decided not to go before the VNA, and a few days ago sent out to the immediate neighbors a "community meeting" notice at their offices for tonight. Two meetings actually - one for the surrounding buildings, the other for the building next door. Apparently, the VNA has persuaded them to present instead at the next regular VNA meeting next Thursday.

It seems that the default for developers now in the Village is just to add another floor or two beyond what they are allowed, ignoring the existing zoning in favor of begging the community for variances. They make extra millions, and what do they give us in return, other than more crowded streets?

Posted on: 2015/10/13 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to quickly bump this (and will do it again next week the day of the meeting)

the 1st street project will be presented next week on 10.15 and it would be great to get some support at the zoning board meeting to let the board know that we are tired of developer profits coming first

meeting is held in the city hall council chambers at 280 Grove st from 6:30 - 8:30 pm

Posted on: 2015/10/9 14:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I was at the VNA meeting last night and I am very concerned - there were 4 different developers there all trying to squeeze bigger buildings (mainly 5 & 6 stories) into spot where 2-3 stories now stand.

I want to be very clear - I am in no way against improving the area and I agree that there are some building that are eye sores and would benefit from a total tear down but I am worried about what this says. If every developer who asks for a variance gets one then the current neighbors will be dwarfed, our light blocked out, our neighborhoods density doubled, and our right to enjoy the homes that we have bought, invested and taken care of taken away overnight. I won't even go into the potential damage to our homes from the construction that will involve pile driving inches from our foundations.....and the release of toxic dust and debris into our air etc.

I am not sure why it should be a given that the zoning rules are ignored and exceptions are the standard. There are zoning rules for a reason and that is to preserve the character of the area and maintain a standard of living for the actual people who live here not maximize developer profits.

We aren't talking about squeezing in an extra unit here or there or a few feet of height - but in some cases 3x the number of units and more than 2x the size of the neighboring buildings... plus eliminating set backs etc

where do we draw the line?

I was there at the meeting as well. And what I thought was most distinctive about the 1st St project was that variances were being asked for without even the smallest pretense of hardship reasons - which used to be why variances were necessary, to ameliorate when making a conforming building was too difficult (because of lot configuration, or whatever). The only things mentioned were that tearing down the existing building would cost money, and that putting in pilings to build a new building would cost money.

In this case, it seems that the developer bought an R-1 zoned building, but replacing it with a new R-1 wouldn't be profitable enough, so he asked for the variance to make it into an R-3 building instead.

The fact that 4 projects were presented last night - plus numerous others in the past year or so (and many more in the pipeline) would seem to indicate that the Village has plenty of development opportunities now, and we don't have to accede to the boldest requests of the developers. I heard last night that a newly built 2-family on Brunswick sold both apartments for $899,000 each! Having watched that wood-framed building go up over the last year or so, I think that a decent profit was probably made. Of course, the developer may be kicking himself (or herself) that he didn't try to make it 6 stories.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
the same thing is happening all over the city - height, parking requirements, and number of units are being forgone with little in return to current residents.

my neighbor told me about a garage on 7th street between monmouth and coles that is zoned for 3 or 4 stories, yet was approved for 10 based on comparison to McNair which seems absurd.

I am also all for improvements and progressive modernization, however we shouldn't sell ourselves out too quickly without at least something in return - contributing to the Embankment Project, other green spaces, mandated parking, sewer improvements, etc.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tino -- I am trying to get clarification on the exact size since it was very hard to see the exact plans and there has been some revision (ie initially they filed for 2 parking spots but now they are saying six but the drawing only showed 4 cars...)
I believe they are looking for 5 stories (on top of a garage which is pretty much a given due to the flood zone they have to go up 6+ feet so might as well do 3 more and get the cars off the street) and it will be 6 units. I believe 4 x 2 bedroom and 2 x 3 bedroom.

And I agree developers are here to make money - I don't think that anyone would do anything different but seems like there should be some compromise between how much they make and how much our lives are affected.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
I saw that they were going to review a proposal for that garage on First St that was a gym and now is a loom or something (btw Colgate and Merseles) - how high are they looking to make that? That's a small lot. I echo your concerns that the Village is best left as a low rise community, but don't blame developers for wanting to get as many units in a plot either...

Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I was at the VNA meeting last night and I am very concerned - there were 4 different developers there all trying to squeeze bigger buildings (mainly 5 & 6 stories) into spot where 2-3 stories now stand.

I want to be very clear - I am in no way against improving the area and I agree that there are some building that are eye sores and would benefit from a total tear down but I am worried about what this says. If every developer who asks for a variance gets one then the current neighbors will be dwarfed, our light blocked out, our neighborhoods density doubled, and our right to enjoy the homes that we have bought, invested and taken care of taken away overnight. I won't even go into the potential damage to our homes from the construction that will involve pile driving inches from our foundations.....and the release of toxic dust and debris into our air etc.

I am not sure why it should be a given that the zoning rules are ignored and exceptions are the standard. There are zoning rules for a reason and that is to preserve the character of the area and maintain a standard of living for the actual people who live here not maximize developer profits.

We aren't talking about squeezing in an extra unit here or there or a few feet of height - but in some cases 3x the number of units and more than 2x the size of the neighboring buildings... plus eliminating set backs etc

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
For Village residents who want their opinions heard on the future of our neighborhood - there is a Vision meeting at City Hall tomorrow (Saturday, May 30).

It's from 9am to noon - but you can drop by anytime during that three hour window. There will be 5 work stations you can go around and discuss what you like/don't like about The Village, and what you hope/fear for the future.

It's important for Village residents to participate - the next few years will probably see a lot of development, and possibly zoning changes, so we should try to build as large a consensus as we can.

280 Grove Street - City Council chambers on the second floor - 9am through 12pm on Saturday, May 30
Coffee, light refreshments, and stickers (!) will be provided.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 18:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
CORRECTION!

Apparently the owner/developer of 375 5th Street has withdrawn his application for variances altogether - no adjournment.

This means that they will either just keep the existing building until it falls down (which might not be that far in the future from the looks of it) or they will rebuild according to existing R1 zoning regulations, or they will regroup and start all over again with a different plan.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 18:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
The developers at 375 5th Street have asked for their 3rd adjournment on this project - so we will take up the fight again at the next Board of Adjustment meeting on Thursday, June 18.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I have witnessed and seen these 'luxury' complexes experience some of the same anti-social behavior and crime issues as the downtown housing projects of yesteryear - The only difference is that arguments are taken to the Courts at great cost for those involved but what these luxury apartments have become to the broader community, is a beacon of wealth to be pryed on. I'm hearing it's becoming of big problem but it's kept quiet!

WTF are you saying? Are you seriously comparing luxury high rises to projects?? Wow. I think you have jumped the shark. Or, let me guess, you found some obscure news article about some random high rise issue in Australia and now you are trying to extrapolate that to here, without any sort of logic or link...

Or, please enlighten us and share what "anti-social behavior and crime issues" you have "witnessed".
yeah duh, high-rise towers leads to Dredd-style crime towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIKmmSifqw

Posted on: 2015/5/20 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I've been involved with over a dozen major projects in Paulus Hook, Newport and DTJC.

These are the ongoing drama's

1. Apartments being used as rooming houses or packed to the rafters - I seen (frequently) apartments with bunk beds being set-up in living rooms (often 3 sets, sleeping 6)
2. Noise is often an argument due to poor soundproofing qualities
3. Cooking smells permeating from apartments
4. Drugs deals from apartments
5. Apartments used for soliciting prostitutes
6. Countless bike thefts that don't have evidence of forced entry
7. Fuel being stolen from vehicles when parked in secure car parks - also no signs of forced entry to the car park
8. Theft from vehicles in secure areas
9. Burglaries in gated communities and 'secure' buildings - no signs of forced entry into these buildings or their grounds
10. Arguments over dogs, cats and pets in these 'luxury' apartments - noise, smell, allergy issues
11. Arguments over common areas within a complex
12. Arguments over car park spaces
13. Smoking from balconies that enter apartments above

These are just a few issues which has nothing really to do with the demographics or wealth of the 'luxury' apartment owners and tenants - Its a human condition that some act like ass-holes (anti-social). Just speak to any property managers and people running these places, and you'll hear some of the funniest stories that relate to egos, arrogance, ignorance and straight out intimidation, self-righteousness and bullying.

Some will say that substance abuse and illegal drugs is a bigger problem in these luxury apartments with the so called 'middle and upper' classes then the poor and lower ones - These billion dollar drug lords don't rely on the poor and improvised to build their empire!

This said, I believe the best and safest high rise, high density apartment buildings are the one's where you have the highest percentage of owner occupiers.

As for comparing situations with other countries, I'm unaware that people behave differently or have 3 eyes and two heads in other parts of the world!

Posted on: 2015/5/20 0:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
In past 15 - 20 years, local and state governments have implemented changes to planning legislation and regulations, signalling a shift towards high-density city housing and away from developing satellite cities and town, in order to ease the cost of maintaining or expanding the suburban infrastructure base.

As a result, consideration has not been given to how these policies might impact on levels of crime; fear of crime and to mitigate unwanted anti-social behavior within these high-rise communities.

I have witnessed and seen these 'luxury' complexes experience some of the same anti-social behavior and crime issues as the downtown housing projects of yesteryear - The only difference is that arguments are taken to the Courts at great cost for those involved but what these luxury apartments have become to the broader community, is a beacon of wealth to be pryed on. I'm hearing it's becoming of big problem but it's kept quiet!
lol. is it not better to take arguments to court rather than violently settling them in the streets?

Posted on: 2015/5/19 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

WTF are you saying? Are you seriously comparing luxury high rises to projects?? Wow. I think you have jumped the shark. Or, let me guess, you found some obscure news article about some random high rise issue in Australia and now you are trying to extrapolate that to here, without any sort of logic or link...

Or, please enlighten us and share what "anti-social behavior and crime issues" you have "witnessed".

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
In past 15 - 20 years, local and state governments have implemented changes to planning legislation and regulations, signalling a shift towards high-density city housing and away from developing satellite cities and town, in order to ease the cost of maintaining or expanding the suburban infrastructure base.

As a result, consideration has not been given to how these policies might impact on levels of crime; fear of crime and to mitigate unwanted anti-social behavior within these high-rise communities.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erobinsonh wrote:
The matter of 375 Fifth Street is back before the Zoning Board this week - 2 days from now, on Thursday evening. They haven't posted their agenda online yet - http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/zoningboardagenda/ - but the meeting is scheduled for Thursday (May 21) at 6:30pm at City Hall.

After a bad start to last month's proposal for a 7-story, 19-apartment building on an R1 lot, the owner of 375 5th St has a month to regroup, and has submitted a 6-story, 17 apartment proposal, still with no parking.

They are entitled to 3 stories, 65% lot coverage - they are asking for twice the number of stories and approximately 90% lot coverage (the other 10% is for space around the the windows of the adjoining building).

When they met with the Village Neighborhood Association, they were told that the VNA was willing to compromise and support a 4-story, 90% coverage building, but they chose to go ahead with their 6-story request.

So several of us from the VNA are planning to attend the Zoning meeting on Thursday - and anyone else who wants to oppose this proposal (or support it!) should come to the 2nd floor of City Hall as well. The participation of the neighborhood can really make a difference.

Please join us! Showing up in great numbers has a huge impact, and is the key to defeating this proposal.
if the developer is asking for a varaiance, then that developer should get no abatement, especially if the building is a rental

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Showtime wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
People balking at some of these developments for lack of parking are ridiculous. Newcomers that are moving here, for the most part, are not bringing cars.

That just hasn't been my experience. Many newcomers are coming from the suburbs or other states and are very attached to having a car. I understand maybe the people moving here from NYC don't come with cars.

We had two units become available in our building last year - in each unit a couple moved in. Each person brought their own car - so it's four new cars looking for parking on our street.

Point being, that all these parking spots added to these developments is not forward thinking, but reverse thinking. With the density that is coming, adding more and more cars will make no sense. People are bringing cars, and multiple cars (ridiculous) from places like the suburbs because they CAN, because the developments are including tons of parking because people in these neighborhoods FREAK OUT when the initial plans call for no or little parking. When somebody moves to Manhattan from anywhere else, nobody bemoans that they can't bring their car.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 12:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
The matter of 375 Fifth Street is back before the Zoning Board this week - 2 days from now, on Thursday evening. They haven't posted their agenda online yet - http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/zoningboardagenda/ - but the meeting is scheduled for Thursday (May 21) at 6:30pm at City Hall.

After a bad start to last month's proposal for a 7-story, 19-apartment building on an R1 lot, the owner of 375 5th St has a month to regroup, and has submitted a 6-story, 17 apartment proposal, still with no parking.

They are entitled to 3 stories, 65% lot coverage - they are asking for twice the number of stories and approximately 90% lot coverage (the other 10% is for space around the the windows of the adjoining building).

When they met with the Village Neighborhood Association, they were told that the VNA was willing to compromise and support a 4-story, 90% coverage building, but they chose to go ahead with their 6-story request.

So several of us from the VNA are planning to attend the Zoning meeting on Thursday - and anyone else who wants to oppose this proposal (or support it!) should come to the 2nd floor of City Hall as well. The participation of the neighborhood can really make a difference.

Please join us! Showing up in great numbers has a huge impact, and is the key to defeating this proposal.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
According to city data 07302 alone there are over 3,500 cars dtjc

Cars and other vehicles available in 07302 in houses/condos/apartments

no vehicle: 892
1 vehicle: 3,261
2 vehicles: 606
3 vehicles: 143
4 vehicles: 0
5+ vehicles: 16

For renters its even higher..
no vehicle: 5,537
1 vehicle: 5,627
2 vehicles: 819
3 vehicles: 89
4 vehicles: 24
5+ vehicles: 39

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/zips/07302.html#ixzz3XaA7BFsp

Wow, Having one car is enough of a pain in the ass. I wonder where those few people are parking their 5+ cars?

1% problems I guess.

But yeah, way too many people have their own car here. Im a hypocrite bc I had one too in JSQ. I guess its more of a reflection of every other city in America as we all know NYC is an exception to the rule when it comes to people dont have cars. However, JC is kind of unique for a city this small to have 24/7 mass transit, even as shitty as the PATH is. It is non-stop so you can get by without a car. But as long as there are giant box stores in downtown, there will be a ton of people who need their cars here.

Why do people always assume that if you live in Jersey City then you work in NYC?

Also a valid point... While my work is primarily in NYC, I have a client that requires my presence in their CT office once or twice per week. I don't care one bit that some in here live in some mental lala land in which cars are completely a whim and unnecessary. If you like to get around by train, with multiple transfers and what not, great for you. I love having my many modes of transportations (car, motorcycle, bicycle) and choose whatever works best for me for a particular day or situation.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Wow, Having one car is enough of a pain in the ass. I wonder where those few people are parking their 5+ cars?

1% problems I guess.

But yeah, way too many people have their own car here. Im a hypocrite bc I had one too in JSQ. I guess its more of a reflection of every other city in America as we all know NYC is an exception to the rule when it comes to people dont have cars. However, JC is kind of unique for a city this small to have 24/7 mass transit, even as shitty as the PATH is. It is non-stop so you can get by without a car. But as long as there are giant box stores in downtown, there will be a ton of people who need their cars here.

Why do people always assume that if you live in Jersey City then you work in NYC?

IKR I have two neighbors on both sides of me one married couple has not been to NYC since 1998 and the retired officer has not been since 2002. Many people in JC don't ever go to NYC

Posted on: 2015/4/17 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

1% problems I guess.

You are assuming that each of those vehicles is a car. That is most likely NOT the case. Personally, I would be counted as having 3 vehicles: one is a car, the other two are motorcycles. People should stop reading what *they want* into numbers.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

1% problems I guess.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:

It's all relative, in the US the avg household has ~2 cars and JC is way below that.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

1% problems I guess.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Assuming those numbers are correct what you have is roughly 12,800 cars for 17,000 residences, or about .75 cars per residence.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/17 15:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
People balking at some of these developments for lack of parking are ridiculous. Newcomers that are moving here, for the most part, are not bringing cars.

That just hasn't been my experience. Many newcomers are coming from the suburbs or other states and are very attached to having a car. I understand maybe the people moving here from NYC don't come with cars.

We had two units become available in our building last year - in each unit a couple moved in. Each person brought their own car - so it's four new cars looking for parking on our street.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Moving it to the Thursday before Memorial Day is another tricky move. Will the negative opinion of the public be weighed at the next presentation or will it be an entirely new thought process? I hope the board will weigh the previous comments and not just toss them out.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Incorporating accommodations for cars in a super dense city with 24/7 transit is not a sustainable practice and is really backwards in 2015.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 14:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017