Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: All About Downtown Street Fair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
When they FINALLY open, I will definitely go in for their chili.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped to chat with Monty and his partners while they were slinging drinks(good ones too I might add) on Saturday. They gave me the tour of the place, which is pretty dope. There's a lot to do building wise, including passing all their final inspections, but there's a lot of really unique elements to their design and the space itself is very cool.

I wish them luck.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I immediately thought about Atomic Wings... there was word of the owner suing the city... wonder if anything ever came of that

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
No way, Monty's blows Atomic Wings out of the water. It's been coming soon for 3 years.

My recollection is that he actually filed a suit. No word or update since that original reporting, though.

I think Abbondanza is the closest to the crown for "coming soon" They were 2+ years in the making. As far as I know, Monty's has been 2 years in the making, not 3. Regardless, what is different here is that we can't lay the blame for this long delayed opening on the Buildings Department.

As much as I hate to say this, I think there should be a rule or law that limits how long a business can stay "under construction". It may sound ridiculous, but you could argue that a business that through negligence (or, lack of a coherent plan) is unable to open its door to the public, and remains a construction zone, is a blight on the area and the public. Newark Avenue has been coming along very nicely for the past two years, with new restaurants and other businesses opening it up. Monty's is taking up a prime spot and slowing down the revitalization of the area with a boarded up storefront that is an eyesore.

Does anyone know why the opening is delayed, though? How do we know who to blame?

Yvonne said it was Fulop administration... but I think she might be biased

Yvonne actually did a very thorough investigative low budget YouTube video explaining how Mayor Fulop is responsible for global warming, poverty, me stubbing my toe yesterday, any past and future power outage, the price of milk, the turmoil in Syria, and every single dog off-leash where they shouldn't be.

Bahaha - thank you for the LOL

Posted on: 2015/9/23 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I immediately thought about Atomic Wings... there was word of the owner suing the city... wonder if anything ever came of that

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
No way, Monty's blows Atomic Wings out of the water. It's been coming soon for 3 years.

The City settled the matter and paid the Atomic Wings guy $60,000, if my memory serves me. There was a post about it someplace that I can't find now.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

My recollection is that he actually filed a suit. No word or update since that original reporting, though.

I think Abbondanza is the closest to the crown for "coming soon" They were 2+ years in the making. As far as I know, Monty's has been 2 years in the making, not 3. Regardless, what is different here is that we can't lay the blame for this long delayed opening on the Buildings Department.

As much as I hate to say this, I think there should be a rule or law that limits how long a business can stay "under construction". It may sound ridiculous, but you could argue that a business that through negligence (or, lack of a coherent plan) is unable to open its door to the public, and remains a construction zone, is a blight on the area and the public. Newark Avenue has been coming along very nicely for the past two years, with new restaurants and other businesses opening it up. Monty's is taking up a prime spot and slowing down the revitalization of the area with a boarded up storefront that is an eyesore.

Does anyone know why the opening is delayed, though? How do we know who to blame?

Well, given that the place is a mess of a construction zone, it can't possibly be blamed on the Buildings Department. Their shenanigans don't usually enter the picture until the place is actually "ready for inspection".

Posted on: 2015/9/22 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Yvonne actually did a very thorough investigative low budget YouTube video explaining how Mayor Fulop is responsible for global warming, poverty, me stubbing my toe yesterday, any past and future power outage, the price of milk, the turmoil in Syria, and every single dog off-leash where they shouldn't be.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/22 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/22 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/22 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yeah the Monty's guys seem to be pretty optimistic, this delayed opening has become epic. Has anything ever been "coming soon" for this long?

Atomic Wings?

Posted on: 2015/9/22 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yeah the Monty's guys seem to be pretty optimistic, this delayed opening has become epic. Has anything ever been "coming soon" for this long?

At this point, they have surpassed Atomic Wings, which was about 18 months in the making, only to fold within 6 months of opening. But, there is always the standard set by Abbondanza, which took over two years from announcement to opening. They are still going strong, too.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/22 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenface wrote:
Spoke to the Monty's guys briefly and they said they'd be opening in a month and a half. They said the same thing last year so who knows but kudos to them for their optimism.

Last year... and, the year before!

Love that logo of theirs: Monty's Public House - Est. 2013

Oh, there is always this: Monty's Press Release Announcing Opening in June 2014

Posted on: 2015/9/22 13:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Spoke to the Monty's guys briefly and they said they'd be opening in a month and a half. They said the same thing last year so who knows but kudos to them for their optimism.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Thought it was a great event this year.
Loved:
All the bar options - way better than just a beer truck or two.

Monty's - great to once again believe they might open this nfl season!

Did the guys behind Monty's confirm that they are still pushing ahead? As mentioned on the Monty's thread, there has been virtually no progress visible for the past year or so. On the rare occasion the doors are open and there are folks working on the joint, the interior still looks like it has a very long way to go.

Just curious as to any update the Monty's guys might have provided.

I was just thinking the same thing! There is NO WAY they can open during "this NFL season". I would be impressed if they open on time for the 2016 season!! Not only is the space itself a MESS (peeked in about 6 weeks ago, and it was an excavation site!) but once they finish all work and construction, they will have to endure the notorious inspection process that the Buildings Department likes to unleash on unsuspecting business owners and entrepreneurs all over JC.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Loved:

Did the guys behind Monty's confirm that they are still pushing ahead? As mentioned on the Monty's thread, there has been virtually no progress visible for the past year or so. On the rare occasion the doors are open and there are folks working on the joint, the interior still looks like it has a very long way to go.

Just curious as to any update the Monty's guys might have provided.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I brought friends in from NYC and they loved all the vendors since there were none of the usual ones you see at the NYC street fairs. We had delish crab fries from Beclaws and watched a great show put on by the Y3K fitness instructors by the Grove Path Plaza.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Loved:

The fried fish tent - best fish sandwich I've ever eaten and the cook Tanty provided a show with her shining personality. I even dreamed last night that I finally got the second fish sandwich I payed for after waiting an hour and a half and then giving up so that I could go watch Crazy and the Brains. What a powerful experience. But seriously, it was an incredibly good sandwich.

The variety and quality of the vendors - saw quite a few craftspeople turning out quality goods.

ChicPea - her business is devoted to letting us know what's going on in our town. She's a modern day reporter. Her love for Jersey City is unending and sincere. She definitely needed to be there.

Music - from the main stage (great sound this year Dancing Tony) to the DJ on Newark and the other stage at Jersey ave and all the other acts in between, it was a great day for live music fans.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Also, did anyone else find it absurd that "local celebrity" Chicpea was there with her own tent and backdrop set up just so you could take a picture with her and buy her merch?

I also noticed Monty's with a stall. I guess it's not for sale after all? Guys from Raval seemed pissed that so many stalls had booze.

If I ever forget what high school was like, I'll remember this post..

Seriously, chicpea is not my thing, but who cares if she has a booth or not?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/9/20 23:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
I would agreed with JC Biscuit

Chatted with a few people today who had the same thought, if this is a celebration about Downtown, then lets try to get the organizers to really include all of downtown and not just from Jersey Avenue down to the Path Plaza.

What about the businesses up Newark Avenue into the village. They are part of downtown and should also be included.

The police/traffic authority can plan to work together with the city to come up with a traffic route/plan for the day directing cars around Newark Ave to make it easy to get to and from the Holland Tunnel / Newport / Turnpike / etc.

The idea that the tents be on one side of the street sounds solid. Even if the tents alternated to the other side between streets. And even if the restaurants have their tents out in front, the many other tents could be placed is some sort of alternate fashion.

Opening up the street for a better flow of people would possibly encourage more people to stay longer and spend more money.

It is wonderful that the event is getting more successful, but it is also getting more claustrophobic.

As to the food trucks, certainly in the second largest city in NJ, ten local food trucks could be encouraged to participate. Love that Cinnamon Snail is back and thumbs up for the Taco Truck, but trucks from Brooklyn and Manhattan that have no ties except profit certainly doesn't speak to the All About Downtown...

Just a thought

Posted on: 2015/9/20 22:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I had to walk through this festival to get to an appointment on Newark Avenue.

I wanted to stay on the sidewalk, but the corners of the intersection where I needed to cross were blocked with stalls/trucks - not cool. I had to move into the center of the street, where people were basically just standing still and milling about because they had no room to walk around either.

I'm not so sure the festival should be allowed to block the sidewalk?

Posted on: 2015/9/20 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Also, did anyone else find it absurd that "local celebrity" Chicpea was there with her own tent and backdrop set up just so you could take a picture with her and buy her merch?

I also noticed Monty's with a stall. I guess it's not for sale after all? Guys from Raval seemed pissed that so many stalls had booze.

If I ever forget what high school was like, I'll remember this post..

Seriously, chicpea is not my thing, but who cares if she has a booth or not?

Posted on: 2015/9/20 18:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/20 17:38

Edited by StLRoma on 2015/9/20 17:56:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/30 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I thought the street fair had great turnout, as well as very interesting vendors - much better than the standard "street fairs" in manhattan.

however, it was so many people, it was hard walking through Newark (between the stalls, people just walking/browsing, and people lining up to get stuff, kids, strollers, dogs, etc). Perhaps the organizer would consider moving the event to wider streets next year?

Or even just lining the stalls on one side of the street, and stretching the festival up Newark for a few more blocks.

Was happy to see such a big turnout this year, but , paradoxically, the wall-to-wall humanity kept me from sticking around for too long.

Same here. It seems like the stalls were all on the street itself, and nothing on the sidewalk. Is there any reason they couldn't put the tents on there? Fire code? Blocking other businesses?

Posted on: 2015/9/20 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I thought the street fair had great turnout, as well as very interesting vendors - much better than the standard "street fairs" in manhattan.

however, it was so many people, it was hard walking through Newark (between the stalls, people just walking/browsing, and people lining up to get stuff, kids, strollers, dogs, etc). Perhaps the organizer would consider moving the event to wider streets next year?

Or even just lining the stalls on one side of the street, and stretching the festival up Newark for a few more blocks.

Was happy to see such a big turnout this year, but , paradoxically, the wall-to-wall humanity kept me from sticking around for too long.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Seconding that the only flaw was that it was too packed and it was difficult to even move. There were a lot of vendors I wanted to stop and browse at but there were just too many people to wade through. I don't know what the solution is but it's definitely an issue. Maybe only do vendors on one side of the street instead of doubling up and leaving such a narrow walkway?

Posted on: 2015/9/20 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The sandwich from Frankie, the antipasto guy, was terrific. half of it in the refrigerator. I've been buying cheese from his stall at the Grove Street market.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/20 14:08

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017