Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The racks should have been installed in the street in former parking spaces.

That is supposed to happen with some docks; city estimated we will cover 10-20 parking spaces. The station at Garfield Ave. light rail station is in the street right now, though I'm not sure whether that spot was formerly legal parking.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 18:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
If there are narrow spots where the parked bikes could encroach on pedestrian/vehicle traffic flow, perhaps they could angle the docks, so they eat up a little less space?
I've seen this setup at some of the stations in NYC.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Yeah, and Yvonne's husband would protest by sitting in said parking spot and get his picture taken for the paper again.

Ah... Citizen journalism at its finest.

Quote:

There's benefits to putting them on plazas and sidewalks. 1.) The stations are garbage collectors and the sweepers will not be able to get in there and 2.) some asshole will double park and block in every single bike in the station.

I don't think I have ever seen a station in NYC that is covered in garbage. How are those kept clean?

As for an asshole double parking across a station blocking access to the bikes, that's definitely a valid concern!

Posted on: 2015/9/6 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Yeah, and Yvonne's husband would protest by sitting in said parking spot and get his picture taken for the paper again.

There's benefits to putting them on plazas and sidewalks. 1.) The stations are garbage collectors and the sweepers will not be able to get in there and 2.) some asshole will double park and block in every single bike in the station.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/6 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Great hat racks come winter time or will they swap out for snow tires ?

Posted on: 2015/9/6 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Jerseymom, bodhipooh, I agree. It isn't believable DPW doesn't know these requirements - I assume it's being done under their watchful eye. So, I have to wonder if this isn't just speed hump fiasco redux.

IMHO, that was deliberate sabotage by a small group opposed to the humps in an effort to stop that initiative. Those installations were done by an outside contractor ? so what did the specifications for that job say? So many unanswered questions. And the speed humps near me are still non-compliant. The whole mess just ?disappeared? from the radar.

I hope my suspicions this time are just that ? suspicions.

How to File an ADA Complaint through the Department of Justice

Posted on: 2015/9/6 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Jerseymom, bodhipooh, I agree. It isn't believable DPW doesn't know these requirements - I assume it's being done under their watchful eye. So, I have to wonder if this isn't just speed hump fiasco redux.

IMHO, that was deliberate sabotage by a small group opposed to the humps in an effort to stop that initiative. Those installations were done by an outside contractor ? so what did the specifications for that job say? So many unanswered questions. And the speed humps near me are still non-compliant. The whole mess just ?disappeared? from the radar.

I hope my suspicions this time are just that ? suspicions.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Saw yet another new station yesterday at the corner of Jersey Ave. and Newark. They sure put it far away from the curb -- when the bikes go in there will be roughly 1/2 of that wide sidewalk area for pedestrians.

I noticed that, too. The station is kitty-cornered, so it encroaches on a LOT of sidewalk.

It also seems like it'll hold way more bikes than necessary. It's the size of the station on Christopher Street, which is a lot more bike-friendly.

Still, I'm psyched about CitiBike, in general.

I wonder if this encroachment is an ADA violation?

"All utility poles, light posts, traffic posts, fire hydrants, and other manmade vertical appurtenances are located outside of the sidewalk path. If right of way prevents relocation of an appurtenance, the pathway width is at minimum 32? wide and the length of the restricted pathway is no more than 2?."

ADA Sidewalk Construction Checklist (From OK)

Additional Information from the Feds:

Excerpt (4.3.3 - Width)
"The widths of sidewalks not only affect pedestrian usability but also determine the types of access and other pedestrian elements that can be installed. For example, a 1.525-m (60-in) sidewalk is probably wide enough to accommodate pedestrian traffic in a residential area,but a much wider sidewalk would be necessary to include amenities such as street furniture or newspaper stands.Design width is defined as the width specification the sidewalk was intended to meet; it extends from the curb or planting strip to any buildings or landscaping that form the opposite borders of the sidewalk.Minimum clearance width is defined as the narrowest point on a sidewalk. An inaccessible minimum clearance width is created when obstacles such as utility poles protrude into the sidewalk and reduce the design width.A reduction in the design width could also create a minimum clearance width..."

Excerpt (4.3.4 Passing Space)
Passing space is defined as a section of path wide enough to allow two wheelchair users to pass one another or travel abreast (Figure 4-8). The passing space provided should also be designed to allow one wheelchair user to turn in a complete circle (Figure 4-9).

Excerpt (4.3.8 Obstacles and Protruding Objects)
Obstacles in the pedestrian environment are defined as objects that limit the vertical passage space, protrude into the circulation route, or reduce the clearance width of the sidewalk. Obstacles with large overhangs that protrude into the path of travel can be hazardous for people with visual impairments if they are difficult to detect. The full width of the circulation path should be free of protruding objects.Obstacles that reduce the minimum clearance width, such as decorative planters on a narrow sidewalk, can create significant barriers for wheelchair or walker users.

Sidewalk Guidelines - FHA

Excellent point, jerseymom. Last night, I walked past the new station on the corner of Essex and First St (across from the new The One JC) and it will definitely take up half of the sidewalk width (if not more) once bikes are loaded and in place.

Could it be that the city skipped federal and state regulations and guidelines in their zeal to get this project done? It wouldn't be the first time they do something like that, as evidenced by the speed bump fiasco.

Posted on: 2015/9/6 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Saw yet another new station yesterday at the corner of Jersey Ave. and Newark. They sure put it far away from the curb -- when the bikes go in there will be roughly 1/2 of that wide sidewalk area for pedestrians.

I noticed that, too. The station is kitty-cornered, so it encroaches on a LOT of sidewalk.

It also seems like it'll hold way more bikes than necessary. It's the size of the station on Christopher Street, which is a lot more bike-friendly.

I wonder if this encroachment is an ADA violation?

"All utility poles, light posts, traffic posts, fire hydrants, and other manmade vertical appurtenances are located outside of the sidewalk path. If right of way prevents relocation of an appurtenance, the pathway width is at minimum 32? wide and the length of the restricted pathway is no more than 2?."

ADA Sidewalk Construction Checklist (From OK)

Additional Information from the Feds:

Excerpt (4.3.3 - Width)
"The widths of sidewalks not only affect pedestrian usability but also determine the types of access and other pedestrian elements that can be installed. For example, a 1.525-m (60-in) sidewalk is probably wide enough to accommodate pedestrian traffic in a residential area,but a much wider sidewalk would be necessary to include amenities such as street furniture or newspaper stands.Design width is defined as the width specification the sidewalk was intended to meet; it extends from the curb or planting strip to any buildings or landscaping that form the opposite borders of the sidewalk.Minimum clearance width is defined as the narrowest point on a sidewalk. An inaccessible minimum clearance width is created when obstacles such as utility poles protrude into the sidewalk and reduce the design width.A reduction in the design width could also create a minimum clearance width..."

Excerpt (4.3.4 Passing Space)
Passing space is defined as a section of path wide enough to allow two wheelchair users to pass one another or travel abreast (Figure 4-8). The passing space provided should also be designed to allow one wheelchair user to turn in a complete circle (Figure 4-9).

Excerpt (4.3.8 Obstacles and Protruding Objects)
Obstacles in the pedestrian environment are defined as objects that limit the vertical passage space, protrude into the circulation route, or reduce the clearance width of the sidewalk. Obstacles with large overhangs that protrude into the path of travel can be hazardous for people with visual impairments if they are difficult to detect. The full width of the circulation path should be free of protruding objects.Obstacles that reduce the minimum clearance width, such as decorative planters on a narrow sidewalk, can create significant barriers for wheelchair or walker users.

Sidewalk Guidelines - FHA

Posted on: 2015/9/5 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This has and always will be a concern. However it looks like from the experience of cities that adopted bike share that the number of fatalities has not been high as feared. Part of the story is that drivers and pedestrians learn to appreciate each others I guess. So one can project that we should be ok. There are quite a bit of riders already here, and if the JCward tour every year can be used as a measure of growth, we should expect many more! As for riding on the sidewalk I have to admit I try not to do it but there are sections of streets where it feels more secure doing it while not interfering with the pedestrians right of way.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/0 ... kes-idUSKBN0GC10T20140812

Posted on: 2015/9/5 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Is it just me or doesn't this seem a little cart before the bike-ish? Bike lanes are still a major work in progress, putting it politely. The bike "culture", such as it is, is very inhospitable - both from a car perspective as well as cyclist's. Seems like it has actually gotten worse in the past few years - noticing a lot more riding on sidewalks, wrong side of street, wrong way on a one-way. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 2/3 of the people I see riding don't wear helmets. I wonder if we are going to see a significant uptick in serious cycling injuries with the onset of CitiBiking?

Posted on: 2015/9/5 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Counted 7 stations in DTJC today: Hamilton Park, Newark Ave, Van Vorst Park, JCMC, City Hall, Washington Street, Essex Station. JCMC was installed overnight, it wasn't there yesterday.
I was so sure they had started in the Heights that I biked over there but couldn't find any. The Port Liberte station that was on the original map is not on the app and I could not find it there either.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Singed up last month. Can't wait.

Helmet Coupon: Good news! When you sign up for a year, you receive $10 off a new helmet coupon.

Note about that: Call ahead to see if the bike shop will honor it. Grove Street Bicycles looked at me like I grew eight foot devil horns when I walked in and asked about it. Butthurt faces at the mere mentioning of CitiBike (even though it was CitiBike who sent me in there to spend 'muh money). I'll be using mine in the city.

Discount Referral Code: If anyone wants a free month when ordering a year's subscription, PM me.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 16:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

More docks than necessary is a good thing, as nothing stinks more than riding around from station to station in search of an open dock. Ideally there should be twice as many docks as bikes.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
*Real problem is that folks who actually ride bikes realize the citibikes suck.

This is true. So? Nobody is joining CitiBike to ditch their "real" bikes. This is a matter of convenience. Simply put, it is super convenient to be able to get from point A to point B on a shared bike, assuming stations are located at or near the necessary places, which is not clear to me is the case in this CitiBike implementation.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
*Real problem is that folks who actually ride bikes realize the citibikes suck.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/4 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/4 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

They are up as of yesterday in Bayside Park/Greenville

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/9/4 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
HOBOKEN?Several months after its expected launch date, a planned regional bike-share program is poised to take off in Hoboken?without Weehawken.

Weehawken is the second municipality to back out of the regional bike-share program, following Jersey City's decision to ditch the plan for New York City's Citi Bike system. Hoboken and Weehawken announced plans late last year to move forward with their own system, but Mayor Richard Turner told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday that Weehawken couldn't secure the advertising required to run the program in the township. He said other issues like schools and a new ambulance are a higher priority.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _launch.html#incart_river

Yet more proof why Fulop was right to pull out of this half baked idea and instead choose to hitch his wagon to the CitiBike program.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
HOBOKEN?Several months after its expected launch date, a planned regional bike-share program is poised to take off in Hoboken?without Weehawken.

Weehawken is the second municipality to back out of the regional bike-share program, following Jersey City's decision to ditch the plan for New York City's Citi Bike system. Hoboken and Weehawken announced plans late last year to move forward with their own system, but Mayor Richard Turner told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday that Weehawken couldn't secure the advertising required to run the program in the township. He said other issues like schools and a new ambulance are a higher priority.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _launch.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/8/18 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
The new Jersey City locations of the stations are appearing in the official citibike app, the smartphone app that shows the locations of all the stations over a google map. For now they appear in grey but I am willing to bet these are going to be the actual Jersey City locations.
The stations are solar powered so installing them consists of getting them off the truck and bolting them together and painting lines around them on the pavement.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Am I missing something? How many poor people in Greenville or the West Side even have credit cards they need to use Citibikes? And isn't it easier for them to buy a cheap bike than pay for a subscription??

The dumbest post on here.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Am I missing something? How many poor people in Greenville or the West Side even have credit cards they need to use Citibikes? And isn't it easier for them to buy a cheap bike than pay for a subscription??

Good questions. I also wonder if as I write this, some entrepreneur is setting up a chop shop to 'personalize' these bikes.

All joking aside, I do wonder what is the plan of action if/when bikes get vandalized while sitting in a dock. I wouldn't be at all surprised to read in the JJ that some bikes got "tagged" or their tires slashed late at night by some random person.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Good questions. I also wonder if as I write this, some entrepreneur is setting up a chop shop to 'personalize' these bikes.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Considering the changing demographics of each of these areas along with the pockets of areas which have already gentrified, Citibike should exist for them. Additionally, if someone needed to get to Journal Square or DTJC for a job, CitiBike provides a cheaper alternative on a daily basis than the light rail or bus. You don't necessarily have to have a credit card, I believe debit cards work as well.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
If there was one near Astor Place, I would have already signed up. I was dreaming of being able to commute to Path, then use it again in NYC. Oh well, hopefully they will change it and add as they go.

Same here.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I mean, the real problem isn't just the location - it's that this is not going in across Hudson County. I understand Fulop's game, here, allying with NYC's system in an attempt to strongarm Hoboken and Weehawken into going with CitiBike as well, but there's a decent enough shot that it doesn't work, and that would be a shame, as having a single bike sharing program from Bayonne up to Edgewater would really help people get between Hudson County cities.

Not to defend Fulop, but I think he was right to pull out of the PLANNED Hudson County bike sharing system and instead choose to align with CitiBike. While a county-wide system would have been nice, there is nothing concrete there yet, while Citibike (despite its own set of problems and flaws) is a system already established and ready for prime time. There is no telling if/when the Hudson County system will actually happen, it's viability, etc. There's also the matter of JC residents trekking into NYC in large numbers. Despite what some in here like to claim to the contrary, Jersey City has a HUGE amount of residents that choose to live here because of proximity to Manhattan and the rest of NYC, and because they commute to NYC on a daily basis. From that point of view, for many/most residents, it makes sense to have aligned with a bike share system that can be used in both cities.

Exactly! I couldn?t agree more. CitiBike was the right move.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:44
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I'd sign up if there was a location in Bergen Hill. Unfortunately, it seems that I need to march about a half mile out of my way in order to obtain a bike.

I am very surprised that the entire area around Astor Place got overlooked when choosing where to put stations. In fact, most of Lafayette (which is seeing a large influx of young professionals) got ignored, with a single station over by the light rail station. I wonder how quickly they will adapt to the market and change/remove/add locations.

Maybe I'm looking at CitiBike wrong, but I believe it to be a means to get to and from the transportation hubs and entertainment hubs.

To clarify, someone living on Astor and Monticello is looking to go to Journal Square. They should be able to snag a bike and ride that there, park it in one of the lots here and then use a bike home later. As it stands, the person would need to walk all the way to Montgomery to pick up a bike which would be ridden for about 4 blocks.

Similarly, the same person wants to go downtown. They'd need to walk all the way down to the Liberty Park Light Rail Station to ride the bike along the bridge and across town (basically about 6-8 blocks). Or, to Garfield Light Rail and then ride it...

Point being, and I know you aren't arguing with me, is that it seems like this is mapped all wrong. Those at the Garfield Light Rail might use it for JSQ, which is great. However, those that are looking to go to the Light Rail don't seem to have an option since they won't be able to ride there nor back.

And all of that only "works" assuming bikes are available in those stations at the times they're needed. In NYC that has been a big problem. I can't find a CitiBike anywhere between 5th Ave/3rd ave/34th to 23rd after 5:30 PM on any given weekday.

The station on 33rd and Broadway seems to often have plenty of bikes in the times you mentioned, but it is definitely true that during heavy use hours in the afternoon and morning commuting times, finding a bike can be difficult. Definitely a sign that the system is heavily used.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:22

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017