Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
"Eye-candy flack"? Really.

I don't know Ms. Morrill, but I'm sure she's very capable. Calling her "eye-candy" is disrespectful, misogynistic...and incorrect.

They're referencing the new male hire as a gay jab...

Ahhh, got it, thanks. Even worse.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:36

Re: proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

I don't know Ms. Morrill, but I'm sure she's very capable. Calling her "eye-candy" is disrespectful, misogynistic...and incorrect.

They're referencing the new male hire as a gay jab...

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:28

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Do you think Jersey City residents want a place where concert tickets cost $150, like they did when we were there earlier this summer? And two drinks were $30 (before tip) in the lobby?

Uh...yes? I love seeing movies at Loew's but they are so few and far between as well as poorly promoted. This is basically how much a night out will cost you if you're seeing a concert at a major venue. Look at what people pay at sporting events for drinks and tickets. Why is this such a sticker shock? It's not like everyone is accustomed to paying a nickel to see a talkie.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:26

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And the first words I've seen attributed to Fulop/McGreevey's new eye candy flack is a lie-'we're very supportive of Loew's'.

And for them to talk about the Loew's salaries, when the new flack is being paid over 100K, while the old flack is kept on the payroll, is pretty ironic, no?

Not a good summer for Fulop.

It shows they don't really care about taxpayer money. But almost every single politician is like this.

I disagree that this will hurt him in any meaningful way; it's sadly expected.
can fol bring the loews up to the same level as the recently renovated, opened king's theater in brooklyn?

Do you think Jersey City residents want a place where concert tickets cost $150, like they did when we were there earlier this summer? And two drinks were $30 (before tip) in the lobby?

Honest answer: Yes.

When the choice is between old movies shown to a niche crowd versus people paying out the nose to see music? Well, I?ll take the later over the former.

A friend of mine dropped about $300 per ticket on a concert recently. If that show was held in JC for addition $50-100, he'd have signed up in a heartbeat.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Do you think JC residents want a run-down theater that sits idle 360 days of the year?

I mean, really. How many events have they run so far this year?

How many events are currently scheduled? None. Zero, nada, zip, zilch. They're still listing an event from almost a month ago.

The city could fix up the theater, do a dozen $5 movie nights per year, and STILL provide more (and better) affordable entertainment than what FOL offers.

Worst of all, FOL is now basically holding up the renovation for another 5 years, for what? There is no way they are going to get control of the theater, and they know it. They can't program, let alone fundraise, their way out of a paper bag. Instead of latching on like a tic, it's time for them to step aside.

Well stated.

I?ll throw another monkey in the wrench? Fulop may not want the FOL to completely control the facility, but he made certain that each bid enabled them to have events. Additionally, Fulop is in complete favor of restoring the building, the common goal of FOL.

If Healey were mayor do those grants even come into existence to be argued over? No! Healey stated that he wanted the building knocked down while standing inside of it during a debate.

Considering that we all think Fulop is angling for a mayoral run that he could possibly win, who is to say that the next mayor will be as keen on Loew?s. Maybe the choices running for mayor have separate plans for knocking the building down and selling it off to developers. In that case, which would the FOL prefer, a building torn down that they can never enter or a building overtaken by a national promoter that could bring recognizable acts to this city?

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:10
Dos A Cero

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hey hero69, you ask a good question but it cannot be answered because the county grant goes directly to the city not FOL. Why don't you ask Fulop to release the funds so FOL can work on the Loews? Fulop is attacking FOL yet he refuses to release the funds, why?

This is simple - Fulop wants them to continue to fail so he can keep attacking them and strengthen his claim that they need to be taken over by his chosen conglomerate.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Do you think JC residents want a run-down theater that sits idle 360 days of the year?

I mean, really. How many events have they run so far this year?

How many events are currently scheduled? None. Zero, nada, zip, zilch. They're still listing an event from almost a month ago.

The city could fix up the theater, do a dozen $5 movie nights per year, and STILL provide more (and better) affordable entertainment than what FOL offers.

Worst of all, FOL is now basically holding up the renovation for another 5 years, for what? There is no way they are going to get control of the theater, and they know it. They can't program, let alone fundraise, their way out of a paper bag. Instead of latching on like a tic, it's time for them to step aside.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 13:46

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

please stop being stubborn and look at the clearly laid out facts that rescue and others have laid out. Even if the $500k was delivered to FOL, they cannot restore the theater to the level of Kings theater in Brooklyn with that money and will never get the proper acts to fill these seats on a regular basis. Look at how infrequently they host events over the last several years.

FOL did a great job over the years and Im happy they did the work, but if they truly loved the theater, they need to pass the torch and let it really thrive and help JSQ become a destination.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I totally disagree with you rescue, I remember when the Lowes opened their doors. It looked like a scene of a bombed out building. I am stunned by the process of the FOL. The only stumbling block has been various administrations. The city holds up the money then calls FOL unsupportive. The problem is spelled F-U-L-O-P. Tell your friend, Fulop to release the funds.
some people gladly pay $150 for certain acts

Posted on: 2015/8/14 9:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I totally disagree with you rescue, I remember when the Lowes opened their doors. It looked like a scene of a bombed out building. I am stunned by the process of the FOL. The only stumbling block has been various administrations. The city holds up the money then calls FOL unsupportive. The problem is spelled F-U-L-O-P. Tell your friend, Fulop to release the funds.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
While I normally come to this site for comedy/entertainment (see:Yvonne Balcer rants), as someone who actually works in the industry of music venues and has directly restored multiple venues in NYC, I can tell you as a matter of fact that the FOL cannot restore the Loew's theater with this grant, and they never will on their own. Despite what Yvonne and the rest of the Mayor's devout haters believe, there are two factors here which simply cannot be ignored:

1. It will take a multi-million dollar investment to restore the theatre.
2. It will take a national booking agency to be able to maintain a schedule that will effectively maintain the theatre post-renovation.

FOL cannot obtain either of these

1. As you can see from their fundraising since their existence, the Loew's will never be restored fully under their watch. It will take an upfront multi-million dollar commitment to do so, which FOL are simply incapable of achieving.

2. Maintaining the theatre will require a regular schedule of national acts and to put it simply, people in the seats buying concessions. The music industry has changed vastly, and nowadays any serious bigvenue must align with a major booking agency or have incredible pull. Without that, you will have the 2-4 concerts a year that the FOL are able to book. I can tell you they do not have anyone in their ranks who will bring people to the theatre with any regularity.

Simply put, the FOL played a very important purpose in the past, but there is absolutely no conceivable way they can restore the theatre or keep it even marginally occupied going forward, short of some divine intervention. I'm sure haters will contest these facts, but what I would ask is, what is your experience in this field?

Posted on: 2015/8/14 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And the first words I've seen attributed to Fulop/McGreevey's new eye candy flack is a lie-'we're very supportive of Loew's'.

And for them to talk about the Loew's salaries, when the new flack is being paid over 100K, while the old flack is kept on the payroll, is pretty ironic, no?

It shows they don't really care about taxpayer money. But almost every single politician is like this.

can fol bring the loews up to the same level as the recently renovated, opened king's theater in brooklyn?

Posted on: 2015/8/14 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey hero69, you ask a good question but it cannot be answered because the county grant goes directly to the city not FOL. Why don't you ask Fulop to release the funds so FOL can work on the Loews? Fulop is attacking FOL yet he refuses to release the funds, why?

Posted on: 2015/8/14 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/14 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/13 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/13 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The grant was made out to the city and the FOL so the freeholders split the grant in half. Bill 'ODea is on the board of the FOL so he abstained the rest sold us out. That money was earmarked for fire safety concerns. The FOL must hire a fire marshall for every event. Fulop gets half of his revenge.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 19:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne called it!

Posted on: 2015/8/13 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 13, 2015 at 9:11 AM, updated August 13, 2015 at 9:37 AM

After a brief summer hiatus, the battle between Jersey City and the nonprofit group that runs the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre is resuming, with city officials asking Hudson County to take back a roughly $500,000 grant from the former movie palace.

More

Posted on: 2015/8/13 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What makes you the expert, Dolomiti? What are your credentials to judge someone who saved the Loews but now the city is holding up the money?

Posted on: 2015/6/7 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
the FOL is asking the city to release more than $500,000 in grant money. The city is probably holding up this money to make the case that the FOL is incapable of operating the Loews....

The theater needs millions in renovations. $500k is barely enough to perpetuate the Loew's currently-crippled existence.

The fundamental underlying issue is that FOL is not capable of running the theater, let alone heading up a multi-million dollar renovation.

To wit: They've had over a decade to develop their own funding sources and go after grants. They have apparently failed to do so.

They currently have no events and no films lined up. Zero, nada, nothing, zilch. That's not good stewarship. That's not a community benefit.

They've done their part. But the goodwill they earned for saving the theater has mostly evaporated, except among the revanchists who refuse to accept that JC is changing. It's time for them to step aside and let the professionals get to work.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting article in Hudson Reporter (it will be online 6/7/15). Many of the complaints against the FOL is the shape of the building. Please read the last paragraph, the FOL is asking the city to release more than $500,000 in grant money. The city is probably holding up this money to make the case that the FOL is incapable of operating the Loews. This is similar to Bret Schundler's scam with the public library. Articles ran in the local and national papers that the public library did not place in funds in books, the reason to privatize the library. When that article was published, library workers told the public they were told to remove books from the shelves before the press came. By holding up the $500,000 no work is done so the city can make the claim to privatize the Loews.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 17:05

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to run the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Court rules against city and in favor of 'Friends' in Loew’s Theater dispute; city has harsh words

Hudson Reporter -  May 31, 2015 

JERSEY CITY -- Friends of the Landmark Loew’s Theater will retain control of the historic theater, as a result of a ruling by Superior Court Judge Hector R. Velazquez on May 29,

The ruling reverses a 2014 legal ruling that appeared to clear the way for the city to award operations to a private company.

In the latest ruling, Velazquez said that the contract that allowed FOL to operate the theater until 2020 remained valid, and that the city cannot move ahead with its plans to have award the refurbishing and management operations to private companies.

"This is a loss for residents because instead of the possibility of daily events with global talent coming to Jersey City, this instead guarantees the theatre will sit as is with only sporadic silent movies, even less frequent concerts, no air conditioning and no ability of the group to complete the restoration,” said  Jennifer Morrill, spokesperson for Jersey City. “It is upsetting because the most important thing to the FOL was protecting their own personal salaries and fiefdom, despite the fact they can't complete the repairs after 25 years. Without their ability to restore the theatre and without the ability to put the $40 million dollars into the facility to repair the theatre fully, I don't see how this is a win for them other than they protected themselves personally at the expense of all the residents in the city.”

Read more:  Hudson Reporter - Court rules against city and in favor of Friends in Loew s Theater dispute city has harsh words

Posted on: 2015/6/2 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
When was the last time that a Movie theater need a couple thousand seats?
When they showed Nosferatu at Halloween a couple years ago the entire theater was packed. Attendance was 3,000 or so.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
When was the last time that a Movie theater need a couple thousand seats?

Posted on: 2015/5/31 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index ... he_next_picture_show.html

Loew's Jersey City: The next picture show

Looks there will still be movies at the Loew's for awhile
Stephen Whitty | ArtiSyndicate By Stephen Whitty |

Well, it looks like we're going to have movies at the Loew's Jersey City a little while longer.

The city, which has been trying to evict the non-profit group that has been restoring, programming and managing the theater, lost that lawsuit today. The judge, it seemed -- imagine this -- ruled that a contract was a contract and the Friends of the Loew's could stay.

The Friends had saved the city-owned theater from destruction and have been painstakingly restoring it -- mostly through volunteer labor, donated materials and small grants. The city wanted to bring in a major promoter instead and, after some lavish renovations, basically reopen the space as a concert hall.

You can read that new story here. And you can read my original love letter to the Loew's, and watch a video, here.

As you can tell, I am not impartial in this. Actually, I think that this small band of movie lovers would go up against Jersey City and win is like something out of a Frank Capra movie. And, not surprisingly, the city's response to the decision could have been snarled by a Lionel Barrymore villain.

The judge's ruling, said a city spokesperson, "guarantees the theater will sit as is with only sporadic silent movies, even less frequent concerts, no air conditioning and no ability of the group to complete the restoration. It is upsetting because the most important thing to the FOL was protecting their own personal salaries and fiefdom, despite the fact they can't complete the repairs after 25 years."

This is, at best, astounding nonsense.

The fact is that the theater has never shown "only sporadic silent movies" but a full menu of films -- along with hosting concerts, drama festivals, and community and private events, all at affordable prices. (Were you there for last year's "The Shining" Halloween costume party? You should have been.)

It's true that there is no air-conditioning and that the restoration isn't complete -- plenty of promised funding never arrived, and the FOL has had to rely largely on donations and volunteer labor. It's not true, as is implied, that anyone is getting rich off this -- I've read the Friends' tax returns, and according to the last one I saw they had exactly two full-time, not very well-paid, staffers.

The theater does need help and -- as the Friends themselves agree, more concert acts can be part of that programming. Anything that brings more life and energy to Journal Square, and more money into the Loew's box office, is welcome.

But we don't need to see the Loew's turned into just one more overpriced, local concert hall booking nothing but the same second-rate acts. We do need one -- at least, please, one -- picture palace where movie lovers can see films the way they were meant to be shown and local residents and arts groups can have a say in the programming.

This isn't necessarily a happy ending, because it's not an ending -- even after today's decision, the Friends' current contract runs only another five years. But for the Friends -- and their friends, of which I am obviously and unabashedly one -- it is a very welcome intermission.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
75% of Jersey City residents would lose their minds if Beyonce played the Loews.

Sure they would, and some private company would reap in massive profits and isolate those w/o monetary access - is that cool?

Quote:

1) I'm pretty sure most schools have auditoriums capable of that use, conveniently located in their buildings.

They do and are great for 'school' plays, but the Lowes can have professional plays that local Hudson County students can attend to widen their exposure to the arts and live performances.

Quote:
2) So we can't possibly trust city government to manage the Lowes's, but we should... what exactly? Turn over management to the JC Board of Ed?

Negative, give the Board of Ed access to functions that would benefit students and allow all sorts of other functions as well that
would enrich the community and not some concert promoters pocket.

The city reaps in tons of money in property taxes, I sure pay enough each year - would be real nice to see some of it spent on the community.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Handing it over to a private entity will result in $150 Ticketmaster
prices and Beyonce can kiss mah azz.

75% of Jersey City residents would lose their minds if Beyonce played the Loews.

Quote:
This property should be used by and for Jersey City, students should have access to plays and use of the stage for their needs and development.

lol

1) I'm pretty sure most schools have auditoriums capable of that use, conveniently located in their buildings.

2) So we can't possibly trust city government to manage the Loew's, but we should... what exactly? Turn over management to the JC Board of Ed?

3) The proposal includes setting aside 20 days for community use and programming, specifically under the direction of FOL. At this point, that's probably more dates than they currently program. Hmmmmmmm.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Jersey City has been withholding funds earmarked for Loew's, then people complain the place is run down.

Competent managers of a non-profit theater would know how to raise funds, apply for grants, or at least program something.

I mean, really. They were doing what, showing 1 or 2 old movies a month last year? Will the resolution of the lawsuit result in a series of events for the next 2 years?

It may cost $30 million to fix it up. Every year that passes without JC being able to renovate it increases the costs. Has FOL shown the ability to manage that kind of a project? Do either of its TWO employees have extensive experience managing a project of that size and scope? Have they shown any ability to handle the combination of donations, grants, tax credits etc required to manage this kind of job?

Quote:
Considering how JC jumped into the screwy MLK Annex deal, could they be trusted with their hands on this potential jewel?

Their plan for this potential jewel is for AEG to invest around $3.5 million into fixing it up, then paying JC $350k / yr in rent. The city will retain ownership of the theater.

I.e. the city's plan is to have someone else manage it. Sounds like you should be happy with that.

Posted on: 2015/5/31 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

Maybe now that court case is over the folks who took an active interest in preserving the Loews will be able to use the grant funding to continue to revive the theatre.

Handing it over to a private entity will result in $150 Ticketmaster
prices and Beyonce can kiss mah azz.

This property should be used by and for Jersey City, students should have access to plays and use of the stage for their needs and development.

Do you intentionally want the theater to return to disrepair? It needs to generate positive cash flow to pay for maintenance. Giving it to students for free sounds very idealistic but students are not going to pay the bills.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 22:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017