Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City council members question wisdom of city putting re-entry program at Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/12 13:29

Re: Jersey City council members question wisdom of city putting re-entry program at Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/11 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I can't understand how anyone thought it would be a good idea to put prisoners right next to an elementary school.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Lack of Community Support Leaves McGreevey’s Prisoner Reentry Program Uncertain

POLITICKER NJ - By   |

Former Governor Jim McGreevey’s prisoner re-entry plan has his a roadblock. While McGreevey’s program was popular with local and state officials and received a $4.2 million grant from the state to open, local residents near the proposed site on Martin Luther King Drive and Bayview Ave did not feel the same.

The facility was slated to open in one of the buildings of Sacred Heart Church, directly adjacent to Sacred Heart School. At a Tuesday August 4 community meeting regarding the facility, McGreevey was asked to leave. Meeting attendees cited that it “is not Jim McGreevey’s meeting. It is our meeting.”

Posted on: 2015/8/11 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
How about putting it at Grace Van Vorst Church on Second and Erie? Or Barrow Mansion?

I think that's a fine idea. I live close to those places and I would not object. Can't say I speak for everyone though.

great, now we're gonna have convicted felons drinking coffee and sitting at illegal cafe tables all over the neighborhood. Think of the CHILDREN (and my property values)

Posted on: 2015/8/11 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
How about putting it at Grace Van Vorst Church on Second and Erie? Or Barrow Mansion?

I think that's a fine idea. I live close to those places and I would not object. Can't say I speak for everyone though.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
These are 2 separate locations.

After a little digging, JCETP's administrative offices and re-entry program are located at the Martin Luther King Hub Shopping Center:
Martin?s Place
398 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Jersey City, New Jersey 07305

As for the new location,

Excerpts from the most recent PR,

"The Sacred Heart Community Resource Center (CRC) which is located in the renovated Dominion Priory of the Sacred Heart Church at 183 Bayview Avenue, was launched in partnership with the New Jersey State Parole Board (NJSPB), the Jersey City Employment and Training Program (JCETP), and Integrity House, an addiction and mental health treatment center.

The new Community Resource Center, a non-profit 501(c)(3) to be known as ?The Sacred Heart Community Resource Center? will replace the current CRC at 2835 John F. Kennedy Blvd in Jersey City.

The Sacred Heart Community Resource Center will provide services to parolees, including addiction treatment though Integrity House, legal assistance, registration with a Federally Qualified Health Center, essential workforce skills, cognitive behavioral therapy based Motivational Interviewing, building trades apprenticeship programs, resume workshops, conflict resolution exercises, conversational skills, anger management and stress reduction techniques, and more."

http://jcetp.org/category/announcements/press-releases/

Posted on: 2015/8/11 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Are there two prisoner renrty places?

Why does one post upthread say it was opened, and then a later post says it was cancelled?

Was it opened and then shut-down, or is this a second location?

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Near Ogden Avenue in the Heights?

Posted on: 2015/8/11 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/11 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
"I think what's important is that I listened" translates into 'those damn community organizers wouldn't let me pull the wool over their eyes when I tried to pull a fast one'.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 10:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Plans for controversial Jersey City prisoner re-entry center scrapped

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
August 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM

JERSEY CITY ? A controversial plan to locate a prisoner re-entry program next door to Sacred Heart School was scrapped tonight after nearly 200 people showed up to voice their opinions on it.

The decision comes after weeks of community members voicing opposition to the plan, and represents a blow for Mayor Steve Fulop's administration, which won a $4.2 million state grant to operate the center.

Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, who runs the city's prisoner re-entry program, told The Jersey Journal tonight that he is changing plans for the proposed Sacred Heart center, which was to be located in the church's former priory, because it lacked support in the community.

"I think what's important is I listened, we listened, I heard" McGreevey told The Jersey Journal after tonight's meeting. "I had hoped that I had a reasonable compromise but yet, it was evident there was a lack of support for the Sacred Heart site."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_program_slated_for.html

I guess Fulop figured out this wasn't going to play well on the campaign trail during his run for governor.... what kind of politician is he that couldn't figure that out before the grand opening announcement?

Posted on: 2015/8/11 9:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Plans for controversial Jersey City prisoner re-entry center scrapped

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
August 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM

JERSEY CITY — A controversial plan to locate a prisoner re-entry program next door to Sacred Heart School was scrapped tonight after nearly 200 people showed up to voice their opinions on it.

The decision comes after weeks of community members voicing opposition to the plan, and represents a blow for Mayor Steve Fulop's administration, which won a $4.2 million state grant to operate the center.

Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, who runs the city's prisoner re-entry program, told The Jersey Journal tonight that he is changing plans for the proposed Sacred Heart center, which was to be located in the church's former priory, because it lacked support in the community.

"I think what's important is I listened, we listened, I heard" McGreevey told The Jersey Journal after tonight's meeting. "I had hoped that I had a reasonable compromise but yet, it was evident there was a lack of support for the Sacred Heart site."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_program_slated_for.html

Posted on: 2015/8/11 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/16 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Christie joins 3 ex-governors, Jersey City mayor, Nancy Pelosi at opening of prisoner re-entry center

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
September 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Martin's Place, the new location of Jersey City's prisoner re-entry and jobs program, opened on Martin Luther King Drive today to offer what Mayor Steve Fulop called "the dignity of second chances."

The grand opening for the program's new home, located at the Hub shopping center and named after Martin Luther King Jr., attracted a crowd of about 300 and a bipartisan group of pols, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Bob Menendez and former Gov. Brendan Byrne, all Democrats, and Gov. Chris Christie and former Gov. Thomas Kean, both Republicans.

Fulop, a Democrat, said bipartisan support for prisoner re-entry programs shows they transcend politics, and he dismissed any notion that Democrats need Republican cover on the issue.

"I think they'd recognize that a lot of those quote unquote tough on crime sort of initiatives that Republicans think they have a corner on the market for have been failures," the mayor said. "And if Republicans continue to beat that same drum without recognizing what's happening in urban America, they'll continue to be failed policies."

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/9/16 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Something like that...

Ex-Offenders Need Not Apply
There are some jobs that will be off limits. Sex offenders or those convicted of sexual assault may not be able to work at most companies, especially around children or those at risk. If you lost your license or have a lot of DUIs or alcohol-related convictions, jobs that require the use of a company vehicle are unavailable, since the employer?s insurance won?t cover you. Convictions for theft, embezzlement or credit card fraud are at risk for any position handling money, customer credit card or bank information. Companies are responsible for the safety of their employees and customers. A company can be found negligent and liable for damages for an employee?s actions if an employer disregarded warning signs and hired an employee anyway.

There seems little way out for any ex-con. The JC re-entry program is a very small step in the right direction. There should be a way of wiping the slate clean after a given period, and perhaps having the state or federal gov insure or legislate against future corporate liability.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Couldn't these re-entry programs be improved. for example, could participants be required to get their GED and improve their life skills.

for instance, i remember a painful experience of being on bus and watching a young father try to help his 8/9 year old son with homework. sadly, the father could barely comprehend the homework and resorted to yelling at his son to pay attention in school.

Do you realize that there are guys standing on Ocean ave, MLK with Bachelor degrees? They are usually well educated in prison but it does them no good because no one will take a chance on them... This is why this program is needed.

What's the law on felons? Is it once a felon, always a felon? The justice system seems to be one strike and you are out, with little or no chance or rehab/re-entry.

Something like that...

Ex-Offenders Need Not Apply
There are some jobs that will be off limits. Sex offenders or those convicted of sexual assault may not be able to work at most companies, especially around children or those at risk. If you lost your license or have a lot of DUIs or alcohol-related convictions, jobs that require the use of a company vehicle are unavailable, since the employer?s insurance won?t cover you. Convictions for theft, embezzlement or credit card fraud are at risk for any position handling money, customer credit card or bank information. Companies are responsible for the safety of their employees and customers. A company can be found negligent and liable for damages for an employee?s actions if an employer disregarded warning signs and hired an employee anyway.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Couldn't these re-entry programs be improved. for example, could participants be required to get their GED and improve their life skills.

for instance, i remember a painful experience of being on bus and watching a young father try to help his 8/9 year old son with homework. sadly, the father could barely comprehend the homework and resorted to yelling at his son to pay attention in school.

Do you realize that there are guys standing on Ocean ave, MLK with Bachelor degrees? They are usually well educated in prison but it does them no good because no one will take a chance on them... This is why this program is needed.

What's the law on felons? Is it once a felon, always a felon? The justice system seems to be one strike and you are out, with little or no chance or rehab/re-entry.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Then what is the difference between them and the white collar crime guys and politicians in prison or on house arrest ? Both have degrees ??

Posted on: 2013/8/30 11:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council OKs prisoner re-entry program after plea from McGreevey

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
August 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

After a personal entreaty from former Gov. Jim McGreevey, the Jersey City City Council last night approved funds that will allow a prisoner re-entry program to be located at the Hub shopping center.

The vote came just before the conclusion of a five-hour meeting that saw emotional testimony from residents who pleaded with the council to move the program elsewhere, and from some who said the area is in desperate need of job training for ex-offenders.

Though three council members ? Rich Boggiano, who represents Ward C; Diane Coleman, Ward F; and Joyce Watterman, at-large ? had earlier voiced objection, saying they feared ex-prisoners would loiter outside the Hub, the vote was unanimous in favor.

McGreevey, who is Mayor Steve Fulop?s pick to head the Jersey City Employment & Training Program and implement the prisoner re-entry program, sat inside the council chambers for the entire meeting last night.

When the time came for a vote ? authorizing approval to re-assign $350,000 in federal grant funds so the program could be housed at the Hub ? McGreevey made a short speech begging council members for their OK, noting that re-entry participants ?want to change their lives.?

?I have never felt as safe in my life as in re-entry c enters, because people that are yearning to transcend their pasts and to seize a new future,? the former governor said.

McGreevey?s speech came after a host of residents spoke out on the program, saying they think the Hub should remain a retail center. The Martin Luther King Drive shopping mall was created in 2000 to spur economic development in the area, but it has had trouble keeping tenants.

Tyrone Rose, president of the Jackson Hill Special Improvement District, which encompasses shops on Martin Luther King Drive and Monticello Avenue, said the city would never put a prisoner re-entry program in Journal Square or Downtown.

?We need the Hub,? Rose said. ?It?s not a matter of us not wanting this to be there. It?s a matter of what is appropriate for this facility.?

Mark Graham, a former prisoner himself who spent 16 years behind bars on gun charges, urged the council to give the program its approval. Graham, who said he got out of prison five years ago, said job training is needed for residents.

?These people who are getting this training are already in this community, if you didn?t know that,? he said.

City Chief of Staff Muhammed Akil, stressed to the council that the program would also include job banks, resume writing classes and GED prep.

Coleman and Watterman, a prison chaplain, stressed last night that they don't oppose prisoner re-entry programs. They said they objected to hearing about the city's plan for the Hub from residents instead of from Fulop's office.

McGreevey, who runs a prisoner re-entry program out of Hudson County jail, is set to begin working with Jersey City on Sept. 9.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _plea_from_mcgreevey.html

Posted on: 2013/8/30 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I would guess they put it in the the HUB because most of the people in the program live in the area around MLK drive. Putting it in a less convenient downtown location wound make it harder for the former prisoners to use the facilities.

It might be good though. If you take them out of their current environment where they got in trouble it could show them how other members of society function.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
How about in the strip mall where the A&P is in the Newport area. Just a short walk from the Lightrail.

+1

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I would guess they put it in the the HUB because most of the people in the program live in the area around MLK drive. Putting it in a less convenient downtown location wound make it harder for the former prisoners to use the facilities.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
The Goldman Sachs tower has space available.

Put it in there, or somewhere else around Newport.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
How about in the strip mall where the A&P is in the Newport area. Just a short walk from the Lightrail.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Put it in Newark...

Posted on: 2013/8/28 23:38

Jersey City council members question wisdom of city putting re-entry program at Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City?s plan to locate a prisoner re-entry program at the Hub shopping center is causing some consternation among City Council members who say the plan will lead to ex-prisoners loitering at the Hub.

Councilwoman at large Joyce Watterman, speaking at Monday night?s council caucus, said she would prefer more retailers at the shopping center, a suggestion seconded by Ward F Councilwoman Diane Coleman, who represents the area.

Families would be less likely to venture to the Hub if ex-offenders are hanging around outside, said Watterman, a prison chaplain.

?I?m not against nobody re-entering, but there?s a population that wants their children to feel safe,? she said.

The city has struggled to keep retailers at the Hub, created on Martin Luther King Drive in 2000 to offer a jolt to the economically distressed area and jumpstart economic development along King Drive. An automotive parts shop, athletic wear store and the anchor supermarket, CitiMarkets, all failed to survive, among other businesses.

A Ponderosa restaurant closed about six years ago and that space remains vacant. In recent years, the city has opened some governmental offices there. Acting Public Safety Director James Shea plans to locate his headquarters at the Hub.

City Chief of Staff Muhhamed Akil, who Monday said creating jobs is a ?priority? of Mayor Steve Fulop?s administration, noted that the Hub has not turned out to be a very attractive location to business owners.

Those retailers ?don?t believe that the area can support the very business that we would like to see there,? Akil told the council today. ?Otherwise, it would be there.?

According to Akil, the city?s plan for the re-entry program includes a rear, fenced-in courtyard for its clients. The Fulop administration has a ?similar desire? for no loitering outside at the Hub, he said.

Ward C Councilman Rich Boggiano said Monday he doesn't
think a rear courtyard will work.
?Six months from now you?re going to find they?re going to be hanging around out front,? Boggiano said.

The discussion arose as the council debated whether to approve the city?s request to redistribute some federal funding previously awarded to the city. The measure, scheduled for approval at tonight?s council meeting, would redirect $350,000 of those funds to the operation of the re-entry program and retrofitting office space at the Hub.

Watterman said she?s hopeful the measure can be amended before tonight?s vote. The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m., City Hall, 280 Grove St.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017