Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Morlees'

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/18 19:34
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I use to shop (last time May 2015) at Morlees and they are not that friendly, nice, or gracious to returning customers . I use to buy shoes and sneakers for my whole family there. No longer they do not greet you when you come in, suck their teeth when you ask questions . That's OK footlocker give me a discount on shipping and 10% 15% or 25% discounts after spending certain amounts. Small businesses forgot what customer service means.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 0:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the Morlees update, Sommerman!

Posted on: 2015/8/1 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Saradove wrote:
Morlees' windows are all papered over & there's no note about being closed for vacation. Anybody know what's going on?

I asked - renovations.

If you pass during business hours you'll see that they are selling some things in front of the store.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 11:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Morlees' windows are all papered over & there's no note about being closed for vacation. Anybody know what's going on?

Posted on: 2015/8/1 2:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/13 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats to them, 50 years for a small family owned business is a long time these days.
It's a shame that some of the newer DTJC transplants would like Morlees to shut down to make way for the types of business *they* desire.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:56

Morlees'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Family-owned Jersey City clothing store celebrates 50th anniversary

Steven Rodas | For The Jersey Journal

To get an idea of Morlees' longevity over the years, when the retailer first opened Lyndon B. Johnson was president, The Temptation's "My Girl" had just peaked the charts and "The Sound of Music" was playing in theaters.

Morton Lee Grodner and his brother Jack first opened the doors to the Downtown clothing store in March 1965, prompting Jersey City to celebrate its 50th anniversary this week.

These days, Morton Lee Grodner's daughter Robyn Grodner Schneider handles the store's operations alongside her husband Corey and mother Toby Grodner. The family-owned business has had its share of highlights, but also weathered economic hardships and worse -- the deaths of family members.

"My uncle Jack died before I was born in 1972 but I know my father, who loved Jersey City, would be thrilled to know the store is carrying his legacy on," said Robyn Grodner Schneider, who recalls memories as a little girl playing under clothing racks at the store.

Morlees, located at 160 Newark Ave. where Bay and Erie streets intersect, celebrated its 50th anniversary yesterday with the help of the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District (HDSID) and Mayor Steve Fulop.

At the commemorative ribbon-cutting, members of the community looked through old photos of Morlees throughout its extensive history and Toby Grodner received a dedicatory corsage.

Light Rail cafe served food, Sugar Supply supplied cake, and The Hamilton Inn provided champagne for a toast.

"We are so happy Mayor Fulop took time out of his busy schedule to join us to celebrate our 50th anniversary," said Schneider.

"Downtown Jersey City is becoming a destination area with all the new and exciting businesses. We are so excited to be part of it and are humbled to be here after 50 years," she added.

The store, which took its name from a combination of Morton Lee's first and middle names, has grown over the years -- initially offering suits and casual-wear.

In the early 1980s the store became the first Nike account in Jersey City and today, in addition to selling clothes for woman and children as well, Morlees offers numerous brands including The North Face, Patagonia, Hunter, Uggs, Frye, Crocs, Native, Mackage, Nobis, Red Wing Heritage and Stride Rite.

More>>

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017