Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: options for TV for a non- tech savvy person
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
make sure you get netflix. just an awesome selection of foreign tv shows and movies. i'm watching an awesome series from belgium called the "break"

Posted on: 2016/12/30 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Get a smart TV or if you don't have, use Roku Amazon Xbox, etc..buy a Mohu Leaf 50 for HD channels and download Pluto.tv and other channels from the available apps.
Note: You can get that 2 year deal tv plus internet, maybe free HBO and Showtime, etc.. then, once you get the providers box, send it back, save 10 dollars...also, buy your own router, that saves another 10 dollars a month...now you can watch HBO and Showtime via apps.

Posted on: 2016/12/30 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Otmas wrote:
This sounds like an interesting idea I'd like to explore. Any recommendations for a quality HD antenna?

I experimented quite a bit with this. In JC you only need the most basic 25-mile antenna for HD tv. For me amplified antennas made little difference. Positioning of the antenna - on or near a south and west window improves the signal more than amplification.

For a single tv - just get one of these: 1ByOne

For remote access/live streaming you can set up something like this with HDHomeRun and Emby (DVR). Needs a little tech savvy.

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDH ... ast-2-Tuner/dp/B00GY0UB54

https://emby.media/about.html

I watch TV from any PC browser using the standard HDHomeRun gui and recorded shows over Emby. For multiple tvs you can leverage Amazon Firesticks with HDHomeRun and Emby apps. You'll find Emby smoothes out the video - raw viewing over HDHomerun can be a little "choppy" when viewing remotely.

Posted on: 2016/12/30 8:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Otmas wrote:
This sounds like an interesting idea I'd like to explore. Any recommendations for a quality HD antenna?
check out Amazon or best buy

Posted on: 2016/12/30 5:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/6 19:06
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/12/28 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Start by getting a friend to set up your Roku. Toughest piece is going to options/network settings and putting in your wireless router id/password.

After that, you'll should have access to amazon prime, and can try out both netflix and hulu - and decide what you like and what you don't. They all have plenty of content - but you have to pay for episodes of the latest shows. A lot have people have cut the cable for internet-based tv. A good compromise might be to keep the basic channels on fios, and use netflix/hulu/amazon for shows and movies.

For phone, use your cellphone, or get a voip box like Ooma or Vonage.

All good suggestions, but you left out the idea of using an HDTV antenna for local channels. The quality of over-the-air TV is incredible with the new HDTV broadcasts. For a one-time $20 investment, you can get a decent antenna that will get you awesome local TV without having to pay Verizon a monthly fee for the same stuff.

What channels will you get with the local antenna?

Enter your zip code and you will see the over the air stations that are available to you.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna- ... ion-a/134.htm&Click=47329

There are other channel listings available.

Great link. Thanks for posting it. The quality of OTA HDTV channels is quite impressive. In this region, at least. I am a FiOS subscriber, and the signal quality of OTA vs FiOS for regular TV channels is almost identical.

I wanted to know what is available if I do decide to cut the cord, I am also a FIOS subscriber but I may just cut back, currently I have 3 TVs and am thinking about having FIOS on only one.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Start by getting a friend to set up your Roku. Toughest piece is going to options/network settings and putting in your wireless router id/password.

After that, you'll should have access to amazon prime, and can try out both netflix and hulu - and decide what you like and what you don't. They all have plenty of content - but you have to pay for episodes of the latest shows. A lot have people have cut the cable for internet-based tv. A good compromise might be to keep the basic channels on fios, and use netflix/hulu/amazon for shows and movies.

All good suggestions, but you left out the idea of using an HDTV antenna for local channels. The quality of over-the-air TV is incredible with the new HDTV broadcasts. For a one-time $20 investment, you can get a decent antenna that will get you awesome local TV without having to pay Verizon a monthly fee for the same stuff.

Enter your zip code and you will see the over the air stations that are available to you.

Great link. Thanks for posting it. The quality of OTA HDTV channels is quite impressive. In this region, at least. I am a FiOS subscriber, and the signal quality of OTA vs FiOS for regular TV channels is almost identical.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2016/12/27 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2016/12/27 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
GrovePath already told you all what to do, get a Kodi box.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/12/26 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to Netflix and Amazon and Pluto.tv, check out tubitv. I'm watching a great comedy from Korea fur frei!

Also, check out mobitv for different tv stations around the world

Posted on: 2016/12/26 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/5 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Are you sure you want to do this? You're going to lose out on the valuable asset that is JCTV. (Although admittedly, this asset is considerably less valuable on Channel 96 than Channel 1).

You may have just won the Internet for today. But, just today.

Yup, WhoElseCouldIBe wins. Nice.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i can't tell you how often they show re-runs on the cable networks. how many times can one show lord of the rings or those vampire movies on the same channel

Posted on: 2016/1/9 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Are you sure you want to do this? You're going to lose out on the valuable asset that is JCTV. (Although admittedly, this asset is considerably less valuable on Channel 96 than Channel 1).

You may have just won the Internet for today. But, just today.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/8 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I barely watch TV but would like OTA channels. Mostly I watch PBS but sometimes ABC/NBC/CBS.

Will an antenna get me that? I know a lot of people don't subscribe to cable anymore, so your experience would be good to hear. Also any recommendations on a particular antenna? I rent so cannot install something on the roof, just point something (preferably small and discreet) out my window or fire escape.

Lastly, I currently have a $20/mo cable subscription which I know is like the cheapest imaginable, so is it even worth it to cut?

Depends on your line of sight, but it's very likely you'll get great reception. Don't go crazy about the antenna, anything basic will work fine.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I barely watch TV but would like OTA channels. Mostly I watch PBS but sometimes ABC/NBC/CBS.

Will an antenna get me that? I know a lot of people don't subscribe to cable anymore, so your experience would be good to hear. Also any recommendations on a particular antenna? I rent so cannot install something on the roof, just point something (preferably small and discreet) out my window or fire escape.

Lastly, I currently have a $20/mo cable subscription which I know is like the cheapest imaginable, so is it even worth it to cut?

Posted on: 2016/1/8 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
Please help out another neophyte. I do not watch TV, just Netflix. Eons ago, my wireless router was close to my DVD player, and I was able to access Netflix (and some other things) through that. Well, when I got FIOS some years ago, the router changed location, and since then, I have not been able to connect the DVD player (which has the Netflix and other apps in it, about 9 years old) to the router. To my surprise, I found a HDMI port on my TV (which is also close to 9 years old). Now, being a neophyte, I wonder what is the best way to get the wireless connection to my TV, and be able to watch Netflix via TV (maybe by using the DVD player I have) versus my laptop screen. Should I buy a Roku stick? Or a Chromecast stick? Something else?
I am looking to spend hardly any money on this, otherwise, I can just keep watching Netflix on my laptop.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you used to have your DVD connected by network cable to your router? Here's a $38 gadget I just got, uses your house wiring to turn an outlet into a network port. Of course all the other wifi devices mentioned in the thread would be great too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG

Posted on: 2015/8/1 4:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Please help out another neophyte. I do not watch TV, just Netflix. Eons ago, my wireless router was close to my DVD player, and I was able to access Netflix (and some other things) through that. Well, when I got FIOS some years ago, the router changed location, and since then, I have not been able to connect the DVD player (which has the Netflix and other apps in it, about 9 years old) to the router. To my surprise, I found a HDMI port on my TV (which is also close to 9 years old). Now, being a neophyte, I wonder what is the best way to get the wireless connection to my TV, and be able to watch Netflix via TV (maybe by using the DVD player I have) versus my laptop screen. Should I buy a Roku stick? Or a Chromecast stick? Something else?
I am looking to spend hardly any money on this, otherwise, I can just keep watching Netflix on my laptop.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you without a Chromecast - now might be the time to get one. (Tbh - I prefer the Firestick given the remote).

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/killer-de ... -30-google-135559935.html

Posted on: 2015/7/29 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Fios Local TV is a joke. A whole 15 channels in HD. This is not a true double play, that's why it is cheaper.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sile wrote:
Also, I should add that I called Verizon today to ask for the most basic package (no phone, reduced channels, no DVR etc. & was told that the cheapest option is still about $100/month with equipment and taxes.

I was recently shopping and I was quoted a Double Play package for $50 for base package, including HBO. It totals about $75 per month once you add the rental fees / taxes / bullsh*t fees. However, in my confirmation email, I found out that while this is a 2-yr contract, the rate is only good for the first 12 months. For months 13-24, there's an additional $20 per month which will bring the total to almost $100. So I said No, thank you.

I just found this on the FIOS website, under Double Play. The terms and conditions look different than when I called about 3 weeks ago (e.g. it says "No contract" somewhere below, but then I see references of 12 months, 24 months on a brief glance). Good luck!

=========FiOS Double Play=============

50/50 Mbps INTERNET + FiOS TV LOCAL
$ 50
for 1 yr. plus taxes, equip. charges, & other fees. No sports channels.

FiOS TV Local Details
70+ channels including 15+ in HD.

FiOS Quantum 50/50 Mbps Internet Details
Ideal for uploading and downloading in a flash ? and great for streaming video. Wi-Fi hotspot access in designated locations only.

TV set next to a laptop
With this bundle, you will receive:
HBO? for 2 years
Online Only - $49.99 Activation Fee Waived

FiOS DOUBLE PLAY ? NO ANNUAL CONTRACT
Limited-time online offer for new FiOS TV and Internet residential customers subscribing to a FiOS TV Local, FiOS 50/50 Mbps Internet bundle and HBO. Promo rate via $22.99 bill credit for 12 mos. and $2.99 bill credit for mos. 13-24; beg. mo. 25 stand. monthly rates apply. HBO discount applied via bill credit for 24 mos.; beg. mo. 25 stand. programming rates apply. Up to $89.99 installation fee, $1.99/mo. Broadcast Fee, up to $9.99/mo. router fee, $11.99/mo. HD STB & other fees, taxes, equip. charges & terms may apply. Activation fee waived via bill credit. Subj. to credit approval & may require a deposit. FiOS avail. in select areas. Actual speeds may vary. Verizon Wi-Fi available with select packages. Software limitations and other terms apply. Visit verizon.com/wifi for details and availability.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 2:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/17 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I should add that I called Verizon today to ask for the most basic package (no phone, reduced channels, no DVR etc. & was told that the cheapest option is still about $100/month with equipment and taxes.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 1:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/17 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
I am in a similar situation in that I have verizon fios triple play, but feel like I should get rid of it. I am moving locally and certainly do not need the amount of channels I have now through Fios & also will likely get rid of the land line. I do like having the DVR option, but I'm sure I could live without it or get something else. We'll have two TVs, but really don't watch a lot of TV aside from the nightly news. Is verizon still a better option over comcast (not even sure what other options are). I do want to set wifi up soon.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
My internet provided wants to keep me. This takes no more bandwidth than streaming anything (youtube etc...)

In short, the answer to legality of watching streamed, unlicensed television content is that it remains legal, although likely not for long. This is true for two main reasons?(1) we must account for technological advances like ?pseudo-streaming? which currently serve as violation loopholes in copyright law and (2) Congress is making active steps to uniformly shift liability to viewers for both downloading and viewing unlicensed content. Despite this legal debate, it is important to note that the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) seldom pursues litigation against individuals who stream these shows as it is difficult to identify the IP address linked to the illegal activity.[14]

Intellectual Property and Technology Forum at Boston College Law School.-- Click link below

http://bciptf.org/?p=1654

also

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life ... ching-movies-illegal.html

Posted on: 2015/7/26 3:01

Edited by GrovePath on 2015/7/26 3:19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
This is not that -- that is peer-to-peer -- this is streaming like youtube. And it has no more pirated material than Youtube does. Do you watch youtube ever?

You're right in the respect that streaming isn't illegal compared to peer-to-peer which is considered making a copy. Youtube removes pirated content at the request of the content owner - whereas tvaddons is an aggregator of multiple sources - but doesn't attempt to remove pirated content. There is a heck of a lot more recently pirated material available over tvaddons, than youtube.

Don't be surprised if your ISP starts throttling your connection as part of the whack-a-mole game being played between the content owners and pirates.

I believe the ISP's can smack you for uploading, but not downloading, copyrighted content. But I'm still not understanding the model. Bandwidth for this kind of content is expensive, which is why the Torrent distributed uploader model works. Someone has to be making money here if it's coming off one server.

ISPs usually step in at the behest of content owners / copyright holders. It doesn't matter if you are downloading, or uploading, the key thing is that this is copyrighted material. Anyone uploading or downloading copyrighted material and doing so outside its approved distribution methods, is doing so illegally. Don't be confused by GrovePath's statements. It doesn't matter that the distribution network/model is peer-to-peer or download/streaming. Copyrighted material is protected by law and you could get dinged by your ISP, or the copyright holder. I have a friend that downloads a ton of TV programs to watch on her own time, and she recently got a letter from her ISP that her account had been flagged because of a report by a copyright holder and that she was being warned. She was not using torrents. In other words, tread carefully.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
This is not that -- that is peer-to-peer -- this is streaming like youtube. And it has no more pirated material than Youtube does. Do you watch youtube ever?

You're right in the respect that streaming isn't illegal compared to peer-to-peer which is considered making a copy. Youtube removes pirated content at the request of the content owner - whereas tvaddons is an aggregator of multiple sources - but doesn't attempt to remove pirated content. There is a heck of a lot more recently pirated material available over tvaddons, than youtube.

Don't be surprised if your ISP starts throttling your connection as part of the whack-a-mole game being played between the content owners and pirates.

I believe the ISP's can smack you for uploading, but not downloading, copyrighted content. But I'm still not understanding the model. Bandwidth for this kind of content is expensive, which is why the Torrent distributed uploader model works. Someone has to be making money here if it's coming off one server.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/25 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Your old 2013 article is not about streaming -- it is about peer-to-peer -- and no one using tvaddons has ever gotten a single strike from Verizon -- let alone 6...

You are right about the torrent addon Popcorn Time -- but this is not that -- that is peer-to-peer -- you are downloading and uploading material -- tvaddons are just like Youtube -- it is streaming...

Posted on: 2015/7/24 19:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017