Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/26 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5026
Offline
Actually, resuce, many people spoke at the public meeting, even I was surprised at the number of people who said no to the closing of Newark Avenue. I suggest you see the video on Channel 1 at Comcast or the city's web site.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 17:02
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/16 19:15
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 448
Offline
I'm not sure what Dan Levin's concern in this is. He moved out of downtown saying "the heart of Jersey City has left it" long before his term would have been over. We dodged that bullet! He can worry about the West Side if he wants.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 18:31
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/6/10 16:06
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 287
Offline
Quote:

oreoz wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here like to attack with no proof.


Actually the problem is that people are offering evidence to disprove of your theories and yet you continue to stick to it. Grove Street, a much more direct route to NJMC I would think, was closed this weekend between Montgomery and Mercer. I doubt there were any problems getting to the hospital as a result.

The bigger overall curiosity for me is that you've made countless different arguments in various threads over the past weeks. A sample based on what I remember:

- The plaza was illegally created (opened before a vote)
- Bad for businesses on the street/favors certain businesses
- In violation of handicap laws/makes it harder for handicapped people to get to the doctors on the street
- Makes it harder to get to the medical center

And countless others I'm sure - you just added the "was Ward C asked?" argument to this thread as well.

All of your arguments have been debunked throughout, but you continue to find other issues.

So again, I ask you - why do you have such a strange obsession with this? Are you one of the few people who actually thought it was a good idea to drive all the way down Newark Ave? Are you personally upset with Fulop and just attack everything he does? Are you just afraid of change?


In my opinion, your last two sentences are pretty spot on. Yvonne is generally against everything/anything the Mayor does, and while her obsession with him is quite evident, this issue seems to have taken on particular importance to her.

Of course, those of us who frequent this miniscule pedestrian plaza are well aware that there is no traffic backup caused by it, and the notion that those in Ward C would be impacted at all by it is laughable.

Unfortunately, obsession mixed with borderline dementia means this person will never get to enjoy this open space. I suggest Yvonne, Fletcher, Dan Levin, et als. protest at the pedestrian plaza to get their point across, but I doubt we'll see them yelling at little kids and families there.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 18:15
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
I look at wallethub data with a bit of cynicism. Seems like the JC ranking is based more around worst to drive-through - not worst to own. The traffic snarl-ups are on bridges and tunnels that don't impact the majority of JC residents day-to-day. And the experts are mostly from the south and west - who knows how they cherry-picked their stats.

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-be-a-driver/13964/

Posted on: 2015/7/20 18:12
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 17:32
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 766
Offline
IMO - the issue isn't do we agree JC is not a good city for driving, but rather, why anyone would expect it to be?

The rankings and criteria are not useful in that they compare apples to oranges - western urban sprawl compared to east-coast urban density. JC is part of the DC/Philadelphia/NYC/Boston corridor, and the metrics used (car clubs?!) do not address the core issue, which is facilitating transportation. I did a little experiment, and compared the 6 cities closest to JC in population in just one metric - density. JC is by far the most densely populated of it's cohort, and has the lowest score on the test. Here are how the other cities compare:

Scottsdale, AZ - Rating: 12, 1,180 people/square mile
Greenboro, NC - 4, 2,140/sq. mile
Madison, WI - 17, 3,040/sq. mile
St. Petersburg, FL - 49, 3,960/sq. mile
Chandler, AZ - 25, 4,200/sq. mile
Norfolk, VA - 24, 4,360/sq. mile

To Yvonne's issues of planning - it strikes me that the density issue means car-centric planning may never work. A useful corollary to this study would be one that compares access to intra-city mass transit, which, as a resident of the Heights I can tell you JC sorely lacks.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 17:43
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#17
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/7/18 15:18
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 33
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here like to attack with no proof.


Actually the problem is that people are offering evidence to disprove of your theories and yet you continue to stick to it. Grove Street, a much more direct route to NJMC I would think, was closed this weekend between Montgomery and Mercer. I doubt there were any problems getting to the hospital as a result.

The bigger overall curiosity for me is that you've made countless different arguments in various threads over the past weeks. A sample based on what I remember:

- The plaza was illegally created (opened before a vote)
- Bad for businesses on the street/favors certain businesses
- In violation of handicap laws/makes it harder for handicapped people to get to the doctors on the street
- Makes it harder to get to the medical center

And countless others I'm sure - you just added the "was Ward C asked?" argument to this thread as well.

All of your arguments have been debunked throughout, but you continue to find other issues.

So again, I ask you - why do you have such a strange obsession with this? Are you one of the few people who actually thought it was a good idea to drive all the way down Newark Ave? Are you personally upset with Fulop and just attack everything he does? Are you just afraid of change?

Posted on: 2015/7/20 17:02
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here like to attack with no proof.

Attack stupid ideas formed without actual facts, evidence or common sense...? Yeah, dumb ideas get attacked for being dumb.

The Medical Center is located at Jersey and Grand. So let's think about your theory about the lone block of Newark being closed...

If someone is driving East on Newark Ave and they are now in the area of the closed street they would have driven well past the hospital. This seems like a terribly inefficient way to drive somewhere.

If someone is driving south on Grove Street, you're telling me that instead of driving about 171 feet to the light at Columbus, they'll make a right up Newark Avenue in order to then make a left to drive 272 feet on Barroww between Newark and Columbus? However, since Barrow is a one way street going North, the driver would need to make a right onto Columbus as opposed to the possible ability of driving straight along Grove to Grand. Please note: the further west you go on Columbus and Newark the further they are from Grand Street.

Like I said before: basing your argument around driving to the hospital is extremely stupid. It's all supported on the idea that people driving anywhere will take a longer route. In short, it's based on people being extremely stupid and driving longer when they are going to an emergency room. Thus, the argument is stupid.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 16:19
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/26 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5026
Offline
People here like to attack with no proof. Of course the problem will be worse. Now, public and private schools are closed so there is less total traffic. But when September rolls around things will be different. Last year, it was closed after 3:00 PM.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 16:03
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This administration has made the problem worse by closing Newark Avenue.

That statement is incredibly stupid. It is based on pure conjecture from absolutely nothing. We know this because you proposed that the reason there was traffic during rush hour around City Hall was because of this closing which is over a mile away.

There is not one single person which would use this one block stretch in order to get to the Medical Center. In fact, if someone did, they would be the dumbest people on the planet since the route is longer.

I do reward you for putting forward stupid ideas. The world needs laughter to fill the days.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:43
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/26 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5026
Offline
We elected Fulop mayor, we did not crown him King. You don't bypass the authority of the city council and take daily permits to do what you want. What will Fulop do as governor? By the way, Newark Avenue is mostly in Ward C. Was there any hearing for Ward C residents? The answer is No. The main reason I am against this is the proximity to the Medical Center. People use Newark and Jersey, one block from the closed street to get to the hospital. The main hospital for JC will have more traffic as more vehicles by-pass that closed street.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:37
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#12
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/12/12 13:39
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 53
Offline
One of the biggest problems I have with JC drivers is double parking , people think nothing of just jumping out of their vehicyle to run a quick errand with no reguard as to how their vehicyle stopped in a travel lane is affecting others. This has gone on since they invented cars , in JC.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:27
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#11
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/7/14 19:23
Last Login :
2017/9/26 14:56
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
admitting to my car insurance company that i lived in JC was one of the worst mistakes i've ever made

Posted on: 2015/7/20 14:44
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/7/13 15:03
Last Login :
9/2 2:35
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4421
Offline
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
This is the only town where you have to battle left turners coming at you when the light turns green. It is an asshole problem, but more importantly it is a police problem. Not the mention buses stopping in the middle of the lane rather than the curb. Fix it Mr Fulop.

I mentioned this at the Captain's meeting in the Heights, their answer: "we can't be everywhere" and "not enough manpower". The buses annoy me as well, it's tough making turns around them into the other lane.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 22:33
Get on your bikes and ride !
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#9
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/7/18 15:18
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 33
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This administration has made the problem worse by closing Newark Avenue. The main issue for JC residents - trying to get to the Medical Center and how closing Newark Ave will impact that. Now I hear the Silverman Brothers want Grove and Montgomery close for their business.


Yvonne, I've been reading this site for years and decided to make an account just so I can try to understand your strange obsession with this one-block pedestrian plaza. I've noticed you always seem to complain about parking and road/car related issues, but you seem to really be stuck on this. Why exactly does this bother you so much? Do you really, actually believe closing that one block makes any difference whatsoever in getting to the Medical Center, or anywhere for that matter?

I commuted into Jersey City for a year and I only went all the way down Newark Ave once. It was a mistake, because there is very little room for cars to turn due to the traffic light on the right. Do you really thing it makes a difference if this section is closed? So, you make a turn one street earlier, which is easier to do anyway. Closing that section is actually smart, because the previous traffic flow was stupid to begin with.

So why does this actually bother you? Is it just because it represents change which you seem so bent on resisting? Is it because it is appealing to a demographic that you don't identify with? I moved to Jersey City for things like that - areas where you can walk around and have a lot of space to sit and eat. Have you actually been there? There's tons of people - families, kids, people eating at the restaurants, sitting in the street. It's great. And you actually think a better use of this one block is to have it clogged with cars trying to make a right turn they could have made a lot faster a block up??

Posted on: 2015/7/18 15:40
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/2/16 0:26
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 357
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This administration has made the problem worse by closing Newark Avenue. The main issue for JC residents - trying to get to the Medical Center and how closing Newark Ave will impact that.


Sitting in a pothole also prevented JC residents from accessing the Medical Center, but that didn't stop you and your moronic husband

Resized Image
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... itys_road_conditions.html

Posted on: 2015/7/18 14:58
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/26 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5026
Offline
This administration has made the problem worse by closing Newark Avenue. The main issue for JC residents - trying to get to the Medical Center and how closing Newark Ave will impact that. Now I hear the Silverman Brothers want Grove and Montgomery close for their business.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 12:16
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
3/15 23:54
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4119
Offline
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
This is the only town where you have to battle left turners coming at you when the light turns green. It is an asshole problem, but more importantly it is a police problem. Not the mention buses stopping in the middle of the lane rather than the curb. Fix it Mr Fulop.


No sure how Fulop can influence human behavior unless you get the cops to book the siht out of everyone and have CCTV, red light cameras, stop sign cameras and speeding cameras watching every intersection and road!

Posted on: 2015/7/18 2:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/2 19:11
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 153
Offline
This is the only town where you have to battle left turners coming at you when the light turns green. It is an asshole problem, but more importantly it is a police problem. Not the mention buses stopping in the middle of the lane rather than the curb. Fix it Mr Fulop.

Posted on: 2015/7/17 23:16
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
3/15 23:54
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4119
Offline
Can't wait for Google cars to be deployed nationwide

Posted on: 2015/7/17 23:07
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/9/10 17:55
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1206
Offline
Is anyone surprised by this?

Posted on: 2015/7/17 20:55
 Top 


Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2898
Offline
Vindication for Yvonne?

Posted on: 2015/7/17 20:31
 Top 


Jersey City one of worst cities for drivers in the country, report says
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4964
Offline
Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal

Getting behind the wheel can be a joy ride or hell on Earth, and according to a new report, it's a lot closer to the latter for Jersey City drivers.

Jersey City is the 13th worst city in the country for drivers, finance website WalletHub says in a new report. Out of the 100 largest cities in the United States, Jersey City came in at No. 88 while its neighbor Newark finished at No. 95.

The study looked at various criteria in four key categories: cost, traffic and road conditions, safety and driver, and car "wellness." Important factors included gas prices, parking rates, road and bridge quality, number of vehicle crash deaths per capita and more.

Jersey City was likely slammed for the high car insurance rates and gas prices typical of the New Jersey-New York metropolitan area, as well as more local issues like constant road closures and construction in the surrounding area (the Pulaski Skyway rehabilitation project, the Bayonne Bridge raising, etc.) and scarce parking in some areas.

Story

Posted on: 2015/7/17 20:08
 Top 








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017