Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: WHY ARE CYCLISTS BEING ALLOWED TO RIDE THOUGH NEWARK AVE PEDESTRIAN PLAZA??

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 13:40
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Two words, sullyx. PEDESTRIAN PLAZA.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 19:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that if the pedestrian plaza will be a permanent fixture that something has to be done to accommodate bike riders... however this should be part of a broader discussion about bikes on the sidewalks in all of Jersey City.

Outside of young children riding on the sidewalk, it is incredibly dangerous (and illegal). I've been clipped by bikers several times on Newark and have had a number of close calls with my dog as well.

If I've experienced this on a regular/less-crowded sidewalk, the addition of bikes to the pedestrian plaza (without any specific guidelines) will result in injuries.

Given that this is still new, now is a great time for the administration to propose a solution.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
I agree, bustjc, but still feel very strongly that it would be best to have a strict no bike-riding rule. Really not that hard to walk it one block or take a different route. Really hope someone with power at city hall sees this and agrees. It only makes sense.

oh good lord, watch out, the sky is falling! get over it already and maybe put your energy into getting cyclists to 1. bike WITH traffic on 2 way streets and 2. stop biking the wrong way down 1 way streets in the bike lane, bike lanes aren't 2 way and I'm going to kick someone into traffic pretty soon.

Until then I'll enjoy biking through Fletchers Bike Thuroughfare, getting off and walking it is not going to happen.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 19:29
utterly deplorable

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, bustjc, but still feel very strongly that it would be best to have a strict no bike-riding rule. Really not that hard to walk it one block or take a different route. Really hope someone with power at city hall sees this and agrees. It only makes sense.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 17:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
It's not cyclist faults the Fulop does what he wants and hasn't properly executed a strategy for the pedestrian plaza. This is what happens when you rush and don't do things properly. Bikes are allowed and the jerks needed to be punished. But hard to know the rules when nothing is posted properly.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 16:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
@bearbear2013, I'm assuming that most residents and certainly visitors are not aware of what was agreed to at those meetings. There needs to be proper signage and enforcement. As I said before, the only signs now read: PEDESTRIAN PLAZA. NO VEHICULAR THOROUGHFARE. The city really should rename this area. People on bikes are by definition not pedestrians.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 16:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
@jcrules, they're not doing anything illegal. they're allowed to bike through. there were tons of meetings regarding the plaza, the rules were put in place after a lot of input from the community. so, i agree that they should be careful and riding slowly through the plaza but they are indeed allowed to do so per the city of jersey city.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 15:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
The more new businesses that open, the denser the crowds will be in the plaza. The bikes will be more of an issue over time. It just makes sense to nip it in the bud. Don't think that scooters and skateboards will pose a significant danger. Maybe just put up signs that anything with wheels must be walked through?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The plaza is chaos for a cyclist to navigate, I don't even understand why people choose to bike through there now. It's faster and safer to just reroute.

But honestly, to band cyclists, you'd have to do the same for rollerblades, skateboards, scooters, etc. And you can't draw the line for adults on bikes vs. kids on bikes.

9 out of 10 times I see people on bikes riding accordingly, even the pizza delivery guys.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
A clear bike lane "might" help but will more likely give cyclists the idea that they can ride faster down the street, again being a danger to adults who are milling about mindlessly and especially children who are playing. The signs currently there read: PEDESTRIAN PLAZA. NO VEHICULAR THOROUGHFARE. What part of this would make anyone think that you could ride through, even on a bike? I think it's nice enough for the city to provide parking there for cyclists. The majority of people riding through are not even stopping to use the plaza for it's intended purpose. Maybe the area should just be called CAR-FREE ZONE. Not as appealing a concept, is it?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
That might be a good idea, though like some of the more commingled bike lanes in NYC plazas (e.g., early efforts in Times Square), it's nearly impossible to keep them clear of pedestrians.

Now there's something to rant about. Around here the worst is in Hoboken's waterfront. There's a huge pedestrian path, yet they MUST take the bike path too! Sometimes not even walking, just standing around chatting right in the middle of the bike path.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Is it true the city is negotiating to bring some of the surplus NYC street creatures to the pedestrian plaza like Mickey & Minnie, Elmo, Hello Kitty & the Cookie Monster? They might soften the bikes barreling through.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
Yes, if you are indeed correct that cyclists are allowed to drive through, then there must be signs stating their speed limit. Still makes zero sense in a pedestrian zone, especially considering how many people bring their small children. A 180 lb. man on a 30 lb. bike is a danger to a small child even at 5 mph. Walk the thing through. Very simple.

elsquid is a serious bike advocate, and very level headed, so I'm inclined to agree with his suggestions. But, being an avid cyclist myself, and seeing how people ride around town, I'm afraid that it would be best to ban riding thorough the plaza and simply require people to walk their bikes. I don't buy the argument that doing so is a burden to those riding from the west. It's ONE BLOCK. If a cyclist finds it to be a burden to walk an extra block, they can re-route along the plaza by making the left onto Erie, a right on 1st and the right on Grove/Manila. For those still nursing TdF dreams, they can look at the extra two blocks as extra training.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, if you are indeed correct that cyclists are allowed to drive through, then there must be signs stating their speed limit. Still makes zero sense in a pedestrian zone, especially considering how many people bring their small children. A 180 lb. man on a 30 lb. bike is a danger to a small child even at 5 mph. Walk the thing through. Very simple.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
they just need to paint a bike path section that makes it clear that bikes will be going through, similar to Times Square and the pedestrian plazas in NYC.

That might be a good idea, though like some of the more commingled bike lanes in NYC plazas (e.g., early efforts in Times Square), it's nearly impossible to keep them clear of pedestrians.

That might be OK, though. We don't really want to take space away from pedestrians, we want to give it to them!

As perhaps you are implying, a bike lane might at least make it clear to all that bikes will be passing through. It could include a big "SLOW -- 5 MPH" right on the pavement.

I personally just ride a meandering path, going wherever the pedestrians aren't. I do wonder whether a straight bike lane would inhibit that.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
they just need to paint a bike path section that makes it clear that bikes will be going through, similar to Times Square and the pedestrian plazas in NYC.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that obnoxious cyclists should not be allowed in the ped plaza, but the fact that there are bike racks in the plaza does make it confusing, and I bet if they rode slowly and politely it would be less offensive to your/our sensibilities. (Mind you I am in full support of more and more bike racks and am not complaining that they installed bike racks there, though it was entirely thoughtless that they bolted them in BEFORE painting the street...but I digress.) Also the fact is that people are riding from home to Grove St. PATH and now we want them to walk the last 1-2 blocks (for those coming from the west). It's an interesting problem to have.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry that a person on a bike acted rudely and dangerously toward you. Your issue should be with that person, just as it would be if a "car enthusiast" endangered you (as I'm sure MANY have).

You are incorrect: biking through the plaza is explicitly permitted under the plaza's governing regulations. The speed limit is 5 mph, and cyclists are further instructed to ride in a manner respecting pedestrian safety.

Having said that, though, we probably should have signs at either end of the plaza stating those regulations, and by all means police should enforce them.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:33

Edited by elsquid on 2015/7/10 13:54:01

WHY ARE CYCLISTS BEING ALLOWED TO RIDE THOUGH NEWARK AVE PEDESTRIAN PLAZA??

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Almost got run over by a bike in the "PEDESTRIAN" Plaza. If some people can't figure out that it's only meant for those on foot, then we need signs that spell it out for them and for the police to enforce it. Sorry bike enthusiasts, you can walk your vehicle one short block or take a different route. Please don't think it's okay to ride on the sidewalk instead. And please don't try to make the case that just because the city has provided a place to park your bike it must be okay to ride through.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:16

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017