Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/12/30 16:56
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Posts: 702
Offline
Nice dodge.

Still waiting on the cancelled designation.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 16:33
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
What is your real name Pebble? Everyone know who I am I don't hide anything. You are the biggest mud thrower here. Can you spell hypocrite?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 15:27
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Go to the Public Library and stop be lazy. I am not doing your work. No one lies as good as someone who hides behind a phony name and throws attacks. If your parents named you Pebble, then I do apology, I guess that didn't think you would grow up to be a big rock.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:45
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
Go to the Public Library and stop be lazy. I am not doing your work. No one lies as good as someone who hides behind a phony name and throws attacks. If your parents named you Pebble, then I do apology, I guess that didn't think you would grow up to be a big rock.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:38
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The problem Pebble, you cannot accept or refuse to believe the truth. No, the burden is on you, I will not do your work.

When I make a claim, I back it up. With you, it?s the reverse because you are lying.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I actually feel sorry for you.

Trust me on this, there is nothing about my life that needs pitying.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Even Carlton Lewis, the African-American man who spoke at the Council meeting, he is the one who said his home and other homes in the poster promoting historic district are against the district. Lewis works for HUD and said historic district is a tool that is used to displaced people.

A lot of people say a lot of things. That doesn?t mean they are correct nor does it mean they know what they are talking about. For evidence, I present you. For you seem to continue stating that it costs more money to repair a home if you are in a designated historic district. Since this, in fact, a false premise it proves that you know nothing about the topic yet continue to talk.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
By the way, here is the official count for the people who live in the district and spoke at the council meeting: 13 for the district 18 against the district. One person read a letter for his neighbor who said she cannot be here. Later, that person Dishawn Miller did speak, so this is a double vote which could be considered 12. Outside the district who spoke in favor: 18, those who spoke against : 7. Of the JC Landsmark Conservatory 9 spoke. As I have said earlier, the residents who live there do not want this yet they are the ones who will pay.

This is a count of those that went to a meeting. Considering that the meeting is held at a time when most professionals are unable to actually attend the meeting, It isn?t valid.

You are retired and don?t live in the area. Why are you even sticking your hand in this fight?

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sadly, the city ignored a petition with more names. If you want your own property listed as Historic, fine, but don't impose your views on others.

I?m not imposing my views on others. I?m pointing out the sheer fact that you are lying when you make claims.

The fact is that historical designation improves house values. It keeps neighborhoods nicer and cleaner. It prevents developers from coming in and destroying our history. For example, look at St. Johns. What would have happened to this building had it not been historically protected? We?d have lost a valuable landmark in the history of America. You seem to be perfectly fine with that.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:15
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
The problem Pebble, you cannot accept or refuse to believe the truth. No, the burden is on you, I will not do your work. I actually feel sorry for you. Even Carlton Lewis, the African-American man who spoke at the Council meeting, he is the one who said his home and other homes in the poster promoting historic district are against the district. Lewis works for HUD and said historic district is a tool that is used to displaced people. By the way, here is the official count for the people who live in the district and spoke at the council meeting: 13 for the district 18 against the district. One person read a letter for his neighbor who said she cannot be here. Later, that person Dishawn Miller did speak, so this is a double vote which could be considered 12. Outside the district who spoke in favor: 18, those who spoke against : 7. Of the JC Landsmark Conservatory 9 spoke. As I have said earlier, the residents who live there do not want this yet they are the ones who will pay. Sadly, the city ignored a petition with more names. If you want your own property listed as Historic, fine, but don't impose your views on others.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:04
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you want the information then go to the Public Library and research. I am not responsible?

Actually you are. YOU made the claim. The burden of proof is on you. Arguing otherwise negates all forms of logic. If you don?t provide evidence, it allows absurd people to made ridiculous claims such as?


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, he is my husband and he saw first hand how people were treated. He saw long term homeowners leave because they did not have the money to fix their homes. He became very unhappy how the historic board treated people. We are placing homes over people and that is wrong. But I also am responsible for the historic in JC. The late Owen Grundy, the late Joe Duffy, plus my husband and I fought to bring in the historic district. It was the only way to stop Colgate from knocking down buildings in the Paulus Hook. It is reason there are new houses in Paulus Hook. I personally saw long term residents leave partially to the historic district and the demands of the commission. The historic commission makes the rules. When the historic district was created several weeks ago for Lincoln Park area, the rules were not written. That is wrong and I feel sorry for them. I am fighting against this because I feel responsible for the displacement of long term residents who were good neighbors. My husband is the first one speaking in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYZ3oAVpyc

Provide a list of people that lost their home. List their purchase price and sale price.

If, and this is a seriously big if given your telling of tall tales, your husband removed an historic district designation then the two of you combine for a home devoid of foresight and intelligence. It would be on those shoulders that the neighborhood now has the scattering of garbage looking houses throughout. Congratulations!

I do find it funny, though, that you feel that being an obvious hypocrite on this issue is where you'll show your obvious ignorance. First, you claim that people arguing for the Lincoln Park historic district came from outside (which was proven false) and now you, an outsider, are claiming that I, someone that lives here, shouldn't push to have the designation.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 13:27
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
Yes, he is my husband and he saw first hand how people were treated. He saw long term homeowners leave because they did not have the money to fix their homes. He became very unhappy how the historic board treated people. We are placing homes over people and that is wrong. But I also am responsible for the historic in JC. The late Owen Grundy, the late Joe Duffy, plus my husband and I fought to bring in the historic district. It was the only way to stop Colgate from knocking down buildings in the Paulus Hook. It is reason there are new houses in Paulus Hook. I personally saw long term residents leave partially to the historic district and the demands of the commission. The historic commission makes the rules. When the historic district was created several weeks ago for Lincoln Park area, the rules were not written. That is wrong and I feel sorry for them. I am fighting against this because I feel responsible for the displacement of long term residents who were good neighbors. My husband is the first one speaking in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYZ3oAVpyc

Posted on: 2015/7/8 0:24
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#18
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/2/10 22:47
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 149
Offline
I found this link to the map of the Bergen Hill Historic District under Bergen Hill's wikipedia page. The fact that it seems to be a municipal historic district does suggest that there may have been a zoning overlay, at some point. Is Charles Balcer, who is listed as the Historic District Administrator and certified the district, a relative of yours, Yvonne?

Posted on: 2015/7/7 22:02
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
If you want the information then go to the Public Library and research. I am not responsible for the internet not being available around the early 1980s. What a bunch of lazy people! However, there are plenty of people still alive who live in the Bergen Hill, just talk to someone perhaps older than 60, they will give you the information you want.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 21:55
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/12/30 16:56
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Posts: 702
Offline
Yvonne, you made the unbacked claim. Put up of shut up. You give long time natives of this town a bad name.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 21:49
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
I will not do your work for you. The information is available in the Jersey Room. I gave you a time frame and the name of the woman who lead the fight. Shame on you for not finding the information.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 21:17

Edited by Yvonne on 2015/7/7 21:43:23
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Pebble, you might be part of a rock, but I think you understand the internet was not around when this happen. The timeframe was around 1980. You can however, go to the Jersey Room and look at old Jersey Journal articles.

First, if you can't actually prove it, then I'm not going to believe you considering your track record.

Second, you are reference 1980 as your point where people fought against this, what does Coleman have to do with it?

Third, those that live in the area now are smarter than those that were living there in 1980. I'd like to think that there are people open to a designation that will obviously benefit them.

It would be greatly appreciated if you took your falsely based opinions about what an historical designation does to an area and scamper off to your own house and your own area. Spend your time lying to your own neighbors about how an historical designation costs more money.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 20:28
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/2/18 20:20
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 293
Offline
I own a home in the Bergen Hill area and welcome a historic designation. I know that Dan Wrieden of the JC Historic Preservation office wants to do it. Let's roll.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 20:02
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
Pebble, you might be part of a rock, but I think you understand the internet was not around when this happen. The timeframe was around 1980. You can however, go to the Jersey Room and look at old Jersey Journal articles.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 19:57
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Then I guess you were not at the council meeting when Ella Lawrence spoke. Bergen Hill was under historic designation and is not now. While Ella Lawrence is no longer living, she has family. Her daughter, then was a sitting judge.

Provide a link. Everything I wrote was backed up with proof. You? Your deranged word.

Let's remember one fact: I actually live in Bergen Hill. You, on the other hand, are telling me what I should and should not do with my property. That is something you've been spouting off about on here and how it wasn't locals clamoring for the designation in other areas. How about you heed your own advice here and not fight something that absolutely should happen?

Posted on: 2015/7/7 19:20
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
Then I guess you were not at the council meeting when Ella Lawrence spoke. Bergen Hill was under historic designation and is not now. While Ella Lawrence is no longer living, she has family. Her daughter, then was a sitting judge.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 19:18
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The fact remains the people in the neighborhood worked to have this removed. They did not want it. I understand the administration wants other districts to be historic and they will have another fight on their hands. Even Coleman who backs the administration will note vote for this in Ward F. Ella Lawrence was the citizen who lead the fight against this during this time period, I suggest you check that fact Pebble.

Nothing was "removed". The designation was set at state level and remains at state level. It came up for a vote and there were people that foolishly fought against it. However, that was long enough time ago and more educated people have moved into the area.

Having it designated by the city would be a fantastic achievement of progress.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 17:08
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
The fact remains the people in the neighborhood worked to have this removed. They did not want it. I understand the administration wants other districts to be historic and they will have another fight on their hands. Even Coleman who backs the administration will note vote for this in Ward F. Ella Lawrence was the citizen who lead the fight against this during this time period, I suggest you check that fact Pebble.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 16:57
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#7
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/7/10 14:01
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 71
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
I found this which says in 1991 it was deemed a state designation. Updated 2015. Nothing on being historic and then being removed.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo/1identify/nrsr_lists/hudson.pdf


B.H. is state designated but what I've heard from the old timers in the neighborhood is that there was a movement to make it a historic area like the others in JC, the neighborhood fought against it and won. There is a retired JJ reporter which touched on the subject a while back in one of the neighborhood meetings. Forgot his name but he lives on Astor and seemed to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject.

You're thinking of Earl Morgan. I don't recall his stance on the issue. However, yes, there was a movement against the designation. This was borne of fear based on the same ignorance exhibited by Yvonne.

What an historic designation does is prevent the ugly cheap development of buildings that do not fit the local look and feel. This preserves the character and value of the homes.

It would only benefit the area to revisit the status and try to get it adopted. The sooner regulations are in place, the more likely that new development will be of the type that is positive for the neighborhood...


Yes, Mr. Morgan. I don't think he is a fan of having a historic designation but I can not speak for him just know from comments he's made. I'll ask he's thoughts on the subject next time I see him.
Overall it is a good article for Bergen Hill.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 15:39
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
I found this which says in 1991 it was deemed a state designation. Updated 2015. Nothing on being historic and then being removed.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo/1identify/nrsr_lists/hudson.pdf


B.H. is state designated but what I've heard from the old timers in the neighborhood is that there was a movement to make it a historic area like the others in JC, the neighborhood fought against it and won. There is a retired JJ reporter which touched on the subject a while back in one of the neighborhood meetings. Forgot his name but he lives on Astor and seemed to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject.

You're thinking of Earl Morgan. I don't recall his stance on the issue. However, yes, there was a movement against the designation. This was borne of fear based on the same ignorance exhibited by Yvonne.

What an historic designation does is prevent the ugly cheap development of buildings that do not fit the local look and feel. This preserves the character and value of the homes.

It would only benefit the area to revisit the status and try to get it adopted. The sooner regulations are in place, the more likely that new development will be of the type that is positive for the neighborhood...

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:48
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/7/10 14:01
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 71
Offline
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
I found this which says in 1991 it was deemed a state designation. Updated 2015. Nothing on being historic and then being removed.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo/1identify/nrsr_lists/hudson.pdf


B.H. is state designated but what I've heard from the old timers in the neighborhood is that there was a movement to make it a historic area like the others in JC, the neighborhood fought against it and won. There is a retired JJ reporter which touched on the subject a while back in one of the neighborhood meetings. Forgot his name but he lives on Astor and seemed to be pretty knowledgable on the subject.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:42
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/3/26 18:00
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 31
Offline
I found this which says in 1991 it was deemed a state designation. Updated 2015. Nothing on being historic and then being removed.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo/1identify/nrsr_lists/hudson.pdf

Posted on: 2015/7/7 11:10
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1980
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
One thing is missing from this article, Bergen Hill was part of JC Historic neighborhoods when downtown neighborhoods became historic. They found the rules burdensome and got themselves removed. I am surprised that is not part of the story. Amazingly, it did not stop people from buying and living in the area.


That is actually false. Bergen Hill received a state designation, which remains. It was never designated an historic district by the city. Nobody worked to remove it.

There are some people that have and are working to get the city to designate it an historic district. Those that are fighting against it have been duped by the same lies that you keep telling yourself. The fact that you feel the need to spout ignorance based on even further ignorance is rather telling...

Posted on: 2015/7/7 2:47
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5375
Offline
One thing is missing from this article, Bergen Hill was part of JC Historic neighborhoods when downtown neighborhoods became historic. They found the rules burdensome and got themselves removed. I am surprised that is not part of the story. Amazingly, it did not stop people from buying and living in the area.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 2:26
 Top 


Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/2/6 23:13
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1225
Offline
Neighborhood Spotlight: Bergen Hill
July 6, 2015 Laryssa Wirstiuk

The continuing revitalization of a historic ?hood in the center of Jersey City.

?I live in a house designed by Edlow Wingate Harrison,? says Dennis Doran. For those of us unfamiliar with Mr. Harrison: Doran explained that he was the civil engineer who designed Hudson Boulevard ? now Kennedy Boulevard ? once lined with grand mansions, and currently one of Jersey City?s busiest and most important roads. Harrison also revolutionized Jersey City?s water supply, building a reservoir in Morris County and the 30-mile aqueduct that transports water from the suburbs to the city. So, a pretty important fellow around here at the dawn of the 20th century.

Dennis Doran tends to know these things, as a noted Jersey City historian (and a real-estate developer, and treasurer and board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy). Doran?s house is located in Bergen Hill, a square-shaped neighborhood in the center of Jersey City, approximately bordered by Fairmount, Cornelison, Communipaw, and Monticello Avenues.

Read more here - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... od-spotlight-bergen-hill/

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:26
 Top 








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017