Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Retro Fitness Coming to Garfield ave

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/10 6:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The Retro that's opening on Garfield is the same owners as the Bayonne location. The location opening in Hoboken is the same owners as the Jersey City Rt. 440 location. Retro Fitness is a franchise....

Posted on: 2015/8/10 6:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
That map lists the area as "west bergen", which i've never heard once in the... 25 years of residence i've had in this town. There's no way in fuc that's the JSQ area, and I have never heard of Lincoln Park as being it's own neighborhood, altho it's large enough to be one, so I suppose I'd accept that. I suppose that might be Marion?

That still, however, is the south side of the city. As is the HM Retro.

Ok speaking in olden day Jersey City dialect (not the new real estate agent bs vernacular as you pointed out) Gold?s Gym would be considered ?over in the Westside area?. Marion is below Journal Square think Puccini?s restaurant at Westside Avenue and Broadway and you would be standing near the heart of Marion.

PS- in those olden days of JC if you dare said Marion was in another part of JC you would be in for a nice beating by the Marion Boys. Just saying?..

Posted on: 2015/7/6 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
That map lists the area as "west bergen", which i've never heard once in the... 25 years of residence i've had in this town. There's no way in fuc that's the JSQ area, and I have never heard of Lincoln Park as being it's own neighborhood, altho it's large enough to be one, so I suppose I'd accept that. I suppose that might be Marion?

That still, however, is the south side of the city. As is the HM Retro.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville begins after Claremont and ends at the city line. Here is a map

Golds Gym is in the Lincoln Park/JSQ area

Posted on: 2015/7/5 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I'm missing something, but what neighborhood is that if not Greenville?

Quote:

jackp wrote:
The Golds Gym is not in greenville, it is right next to Lincoln Park. I was a member for a year and it is really a bad place. Horrible music, rude unhelpful staff, members that never put weights back.

Glad to see the Retro on this side of town

Posted on: 2015/7/5 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
There was a gym called Society Hill Gym over in the Danforth Avenue strip mall years ago. It is now the Jolly Bee restaurant.(ironic switch) It wasn?t bad but way too small.

Interesting about the Retro coming soon in the Twin City Shopping Center. (it?s already on this leasing map)

http://www.levinmgt.com/properties-2? ... opping-center-jersey-city

Maybe the same owners own the Hudson Mall Retro so they are not worried about the turnover to the Twin City Retro. A lot of the people who use the HM Retro are from the County Village, Franklin Park(next to OLM), and Society Hill developments. I bet many will switch to the Twin City location. At certain times of the day (am, lunch, and pm) the trip on rt 440 from say Danforth to the HM sometimes takes a half hour+ and a whole lot of aggravation. (its normally a 5 minute drive) The trip from the developments to Twin City is about 8 minutes and no traffic.

I said this before that HM Retro is a cool place; it is a reflection of the population of Jersey City. All kinds of nationalities and races and everyone gets along no problems. From the young massive black guys to the wimpy old white guys trying to revive their college age bodies. (because the time machines and potions they purchased on line don?t work) :) Everyone helps each other out.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Golds Gym is not in greenville, it is right next to Lincoln Park. I was a member for a year and it is really a bad place. Horrible music, rude unhelpful staff, members that never put weights back.

Glad to see the Retro on this side of town

Posted on: 2015/7/5 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I for one would not want to drive to a gym every time I wanted to use it.

I saw plenty of people getting out of their cars going into the gym and going out of the gym into their cars when I was at retro. In fact, I'd say the vast majority did this. Hudson Mall is an easy bike ride from anywhere in GV or BL.

Quote:
The south side of the city had no gyms b4 Retro opened over on 440 a few years back.

False. There's been a Gold's Gym on Communipaw since as long as I can remember. Easily a couple of decades.

Believe me, I like Retro. I've been espousing them since the HM location was scheduled to open and had been a member even before that. It became more convenient for me to join the boxing gym on Division recently, but I would gladly rejoin Retro should they open up a downtown location. But your statements are simply wrong.

That said, this particular location is the same one as the reported second one in Bayonne (literally right on the border), so with only 3 instead of 4 in the south JC/all of Bayonne area, that's not quite as bad. That's still three gyms in a 4 mile area, so shrug - they're definitely going to eat into each other. I dunno what Bayonne looks like, but the HM location was hardly ever overcrowded outside of New Years.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt it, the other club is way over on the other side of GV in the Hudson Mall which mainly attracts Newark Bay Greenvillians And the other is in Bayonne which of course attracts people from Bayonne.

For people like myself who live on the New York Bay side of GV we find both of those clubs not easy to get to if you don't drive. Also there is no way to get to these clubs with reasonable public transportation.

I for one would not want to drive to a gym every time I wanted to use it. This gym opening up on Garfield I can now either walk, take the rail, or ride my bike.

The south side of the city had no gyms b4 Retro opened over on 440 a few years back.

Right now they are a monopoly in the area. .. Retro Fitness IMO is working both sides of the South side. And both sides have been wanting a gym in the area for years.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder if they're just starting to cannibalize themselves here. they've got one in bayonne (and another on the way?), the hudson mall, hoboken just opened up...

i get that their gyms are quite nice - i was a member - but especially those three right next to each other? hard to imagine that they're not just eating into each other at this point

Posted on: 2015/7/5 0:44

Retro Fitness Coming to Garfield ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Always $19.99 a month.

Huge sign in the window at 2 Garfield .