Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you quite understand how Uber works for drivers. Once a driver accepts a fare, he is no longer able to accept other fares. So, he HAS to cancel, otherwise he risks losing out on whatever he fares he is hoping to get. As soon as you tell him you have no intention to cancel, he will get pissy, and after a minute or so, he WILL cancel.

I got an A+ in Uber class and have been using it long enough and often enough to know, haha. Yes, I know they can't take another rider until the present ride is canceled, but some of them are a**holes and don't wanna cancel and not risk a mark against their records. Apparently, they'd rather play chicken with the rider and not take another rider. Or, a more likely scenario, they're on their way to NYC on the highway and gave up on getting a passenger to NY and don't care if they can pick up a ride.

I've had drivers accept my pick up from newport and then just skip out and head to NYC through the tunnel and not cancel. I have no choice but to cancel at that point. Only option is to report them.

Sigh.... Do not cancel when this happens. You're part of the problem. If you're in a rush, switch to Lyft and the uber guy will eventually have to cancel.

I have sympathy for the drivers, but not the ones playing games. Never cancel and report the ones that call to ask where you are heading.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 6:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you quite understand how Uber works for drivers. Once a driver accepts a fare, he is no longer able to accept other fares. So, he HAS to cancel, otherwise he risks losing out on whatever he fares he is hoping to get. As soon as you tell him you have no intention to cancel, he will get pissy, and after a minute or so, he WILL cancel.

I got an A+ in Uber class and have been using it long enough and often enough to know, haha. Yes, I know they can't take another rider until the present ride is canceled, but some of them are a**holes and don't wanna cancel and not risk a mark against their records. Apparently, they'd rather play chicken with the rider and not take another rider. Or, a more likely scenario, they're on their way to NYC on the highway and gave up on getting a passenger to NY and don't care if they can pick up a ride.

I've had drivers accept my pick up from newport and then just skip out and head to NYC through the tunnel and not cancel. I have no choice but to cancel at that point. Only option is to report them.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/11/4 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Boodipoh... yes, they don't force you to cancel. How can they? But in a way they do. If the driver doesn't cancel the trip and drives the opposite way, what are you gonna do? I don't have time to play games and play chicken with the driver. I need a cab when I need a cab.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Advice needed...

I have to be at 1st Ave & 38th St. at 6:30am. Leaving from the Liberty State Park light rail area. Downtown Limo wants $45 + toll +7% CC surcharge, though I might pay cash. I can't chance not being there relatively on time. Can I do much better with Uber and can I expect to have no problem getting a ride at around 5:45am?

Posted on: 2015/11/4 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JcDevil wrote: The rates have not gone up, in general, but all travel to/from EWR is now being charged at NYC rates, which are higher.
Not to get all technical, but the rates have gone up 60 cents... the safety charge or whatever it's called went from $1 to $1.60. I finally heard from them today. It's the same as every other letter. A generic apology. <> They did not address my concerns at all, but then again, form letters rarely do. I took a JC white cab from Grove again and another excellent experience. I talked to the driver and asked if anything changed. He says they are trying to be more competitive and ownership has heard the complaints and obviously has made changes. Boodipoh... yes, they don't force you to cancel. How can they? But in a way they do. If the driver doesn't cancel the trip and drives the opposite way, what are you gonna do? I don't have time to play games and play chicken with the driver. I need a cab when I need a cab.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They have increased their rates from the Airport for sure. I used to get home for 20-ish, last night it was 37. It was still a good deal as I didn't have to wait in line, and was home in 18 minutes. But Uber was previously keeping the prices lower to generate ridership. I suspect they will start to increase the cost of the rides now to the point where they are comparable to Taxi's.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
By comparison what would an Uber X ride cost from downtown to the airport?

I pay here 18-25 bucks, it should not be anymore than that.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
When I first started using Uber, an UberX from Grove Street area to EWR was about $17-20, all in. The last time, maybe a month ago, it was about $30 and that did not include surge pricing. The rates seem to have gone up in the past 6 months or so.

The rates have not gone up, in general, but all travel to/from EWR is now being charged at NYC rates, which are higher.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
When I first started using Uber, an UberX from Grove Street area to EWR was about $17-20, all in. The last time, maybe a month ago, it was about $30 and that did not include surge pricing. The rates seem to have gone up in the past 6 months or so.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I finally used Uber for the first time last month when I had to go to EWR and had a heavy suitcase. I chose Uber Black because I still am a bit leery over whether Uber X drivers are adequately insured. After all the raves here, especially on cost, I was a bit surprised when I got the bill: $78. Does this sound right? That's about $20 more than what the corporate car service my company uses would charge. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon on a sunny day, so I don't think surge pricing would have come into play.

By comparison what would an Uber X ride cost from downtown to the airport? Also, does the route matter in the price? The Turnpike on-ramp by Columbus Dr. was closed, so the driver had to use the one by LSP. It seemed to me he took a long, roundabout way to get there. Anyway, based on the cost of that first ride alone, I don't think I'll use Uber again.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Drivers are ASKING (not forcing) you to cancel because that way they don't get penalized. Many drivers will try to game the system by not cancelling a request they accepted...

That certainly may be the case, but a system that started gaming drivers first is bound have its workers trying to manipulate the system in return. We can pretend human behavior is what we want it to be, instead of what it is, but I'm not sure that's going to work out.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Uber has only canceled on me once, when I was at Newark airport, and the driver said frankly he preferred to go to NYC. I think this happens if its a NYC uber driver and they want to get back, a friend of mine drives for uber and he hates driving peeps in Jersey because the rates are so different. NYC the rates are higher. If I travel from dtjc to my home its about $7 the same distance in NYC would be about $15.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI you can now hail a NYC yellow cab with the new Arro app... No more standing on the corner. I used it when it was raining last week, so I was able to stay dry in the restaurant while I waited for my cab. I like uber but only in NJ. I don't use it in NYC at all. PS the NYC taxi app has no surge charges when it rains.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Fwiw, I ended up getting credit for the rides that I cancelled after the driver said he wasn't coming.

Uber never responded to my 2 complaints, one from yesterday, repeated today. My complaints were not inflammatory, just the facts. And the fact that I later realized that it was a driver who had done this to me once before didn't sit well. He probably laughed when I said, "I'm going to report you."

Call me spiteful or whatever you like.
For the first time in about 18 months, I took a white cab from Grove Path. Perhaps it was luck of the draw, but the car was nothing like the cars I remember. Smoke-free, relatively clean, a working meter, a driver not talking on his cell - something I was not accustomed to with local cabs. PLus, the convenience of not having to take out my phone and summon a ride, wait 10 minutes or more, too many times get a driver who couldn't find me (in front of Starbucks on Columbus) and get a driver who blindly followed a navigator which sometimes gave out of the way directions. What a pleasant change! Same price. I might do this more often if this is now the situation.

Uber is a tough habit to break, but I took step one.

This is the beauty of the free market. If you don't like Uber, you are free to use other services. Quite possibly, the competition presented by Uber caused at least the cab company you found to significantly upgrade their services.

The problem is when crony capitalism comes into play, and politicans try to outright ban Uber primarily because they receive a ton of bribes (oh wait, I mean "campaign contributions") from the taxi lobby.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fwiw, I ended up getting credit for the rides that I cancelled after the driver said he wasn't coming.

Uber never responded to my 2 complaints, one from yesterday, repeated today. My complaints were not inflammatory, just the facts. And the fact that I later realized that it was a driver who had done this to me once before didn't sit well. He probably laughed when I said, "I'm going to report you."

Call me spiteful or whatever you like.
For the first time in about 18 months, I took a white cab from Grove Path. Perhaps it was luck of the draw, but the car was nothing like the cars I remember. Smoke-free, relatively clean, a working meter, a driver not talking on his cell - something I was not accustomed to with local cabs. PLus, the convenience of not having to take out my phone and summon a ride, wait 10 minutes or more, too many times get a driver who couldn't find me (in front of Starbucks on Columbus) and get a driver who blindly followed a navigator which sometimes gave out of the way directions. What a pleasant change! Same price. I might do this more often if this is now the situation.

Uber is a tough habit to break, but I took step one.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've had the same problem where they call me right after accepting my ride... I usually decline the call and immediately text them that if they dont want to take my ride to cancel it... because I will not.

I usually get the cancellation right after that.

This has happened 3 of my last 5 rides.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Some would refuse to cancel and force me to cancel making it look like they did no wrong.

Do NOT do this. Make THEM cancel the pick up! I have had this conversation with many friends in the past. If you cancel, you show up in the Uber passenger stats (and ratings) as someone who is prone to do that.

Drivers are ASKING (not forcing) you to cancel because that way they don't get penalized. Many drivers will try to game the system by not cancelling a request they accepted (I believe the penalty is $10, but maybe it is less) so they will accept every request they see, then call the passenger to see where they are going, and if they don't want the fare, they ask/tell the person to cancel the request and submit it again. You should always reply with "I am sorry, but you have accepted the pick up, so go ahead and cancel it if you don't want to pick me up" and then hang up. Those little shits doing that are essentially causing a backlog in the system by forcing additional requests, and possibly taking business away from other drivers.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I'm a long time Uber/Lyft user and mostly satisfied... up until recently.

In the last several months, I've had an unusual number of drivers call shortly after they accept my ride to ask where I'm going. This is a BIG no no. It quickly became apparent that the only reason they were calling is that they wanted to go to Manhattan. Some were a little more devious and ask innocuous questions before asking "where to?" Others would just come out and say that they'll only go to Manhattan. Some would refuse to cancel and force me to cancel making it look like they did no wrong. Yes, there's been that many over the past few months.

I was tempted to tell them that I was going to midtown to get him to pick me up. But I don't really have time to waste if they refuse or worse, if they go Uber-ballistic on me.

I understand their dilemma, but they signed up for it.

I always report the drivers to Uber. I always get a credit and they always say they're doing their best to throw out these problem drivers. Since the problem seems to continue unabated, I wonder how much they're really doing. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you sure you are a long time user? Every time I use Uber I have to put in my pickup and drop off location on the app. I am not sure why anyone would have to call to ask since its already in the drivers app where their passenger is going.

Completely wrong. Entering a destination is NOT a requirement. You can do so to get a fare estimate, but you can most certainly request an Uber and not enter a destination address. In fact, most of my pickups are that way. Heck, you can change your destination mid-ride as you often as you wish. I have had situations in which I have dropped off someone along the way, then asked the driver to take me somewhere, only to change destinations a few minutes later.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Some would refuse to cancel and force me to cancel making it look like they did no wrong.

Do NOT do this. Make THEM cancel the pick up! I have had this conversation with many friends in the past. If you cancel, you show up in the Uber passenger stats (and ratings) as someone who is prone to do that.

Drivers are ASKING (not forcing) you to cancel because that way they don't get penalized. Many drivers will try to game the system by not cancelling a request they accepted (I believe the penalty is $10, but maybe it is less) so they will accept every request they see, then call the passenger to see where they are going, and if they don't want the fare, they ask/tell the person to cancel the request and submit it again. You should always reply with "I am sorry, but you have accepted the pick up, so go ahead and cancel it if you don't want to pick me up" and then hang up. Those little shits doing that are essentially causing a backlog in the system by forcing additional requests, and possibly taking business away from other drivers.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 17:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I feel safer with Uber/Lyft. The app knows which car and driver I'm with and I don't have to fight to get the regulated fare.

When I take regular taxis anywhere in Hudson county, the taxis rarely turn on the meter unless I ask. And one even got so angry with me that he yelled at me and started driving very fast and made me feel very unsafe. That was when I thought, no one has any idea what car I'm in, who this is, and anything could happen to me.

I realize there are still dangers with Uber/Lyft, but I feel safer when I can see the picture of the person on the app is that of the person in the car, and the car is the one identified in the app, etc.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

In the last several months, I've had an unusual number of drivers call shortly after they accept my ride to ask where I'm going. This is a BIG no no. It quickly became apparent that the only reason they were calling is that they wanted to go to Manhattan. Some were a little more devious and ask innocuous questions before asking "where to?" Others would just come out and say that they'll only go to Manhattan. Some would refuse to cancel and force me to cancel making it look like they did no wrong. Yes, there's been that many over the past few months.

I was tempted to tell them that I was going to midtown to get him to pick me up. But I don't really have time to waste if they refuse or worse, if they go Uber-ballistic on me.

I always report the drivers to Uber. I always get a credit and they always say they're doing their best to throw out these problem drivers. Since the problem seems to continue unabated, I wonder how much they're really doing. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you sure you are a long time user? Every time I use Uber I have to put in my pickup and drop off location on the app. I am not sure why anyone would have to call to ask since its already in the drivers app where their passenger is going.

are you sure?
They don't see the destination until you get in the car and tell the app that the passenger is picked up. This is to try and prevent them from cherry picking rides.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 15:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/3 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/3 10:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Read the other part of my post moron.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
So... wait. The PA is issuing them tickets because they don't pay off the government-run limo cartel, and that is the reason why you don't like Uber? Yes?

Posted on: 2015/6/16 12:51
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
I liked Uber until I found out why it's cheap. Basically the Uber X drivers are underinsured and don't have a TLC license. If an Uber driver gets into an at fault accident carrying a passenger they basically out of luck because Uber only covers if you're not at fault and their personal insurance won't cover it because they were using it for a commercial activity. The PA is issuing drivers tickets because they don't have a TLC license and the fines total to more than $5k so that's why the Uner drivers are scared.

So... wait. The PA is issuing them tickets because they don't pay off the government-run limo cartel, and that is the reason why you don't like Uber? Yes?

Posted on: 2015/6/16 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I liked Uber until I found out why it's cheap. Basically the Uber X drivers are underinsured and don't have a TLC license. If an Uber driver gets into an at fault accident carrying a passenger they basically out of luck because Uber only covers if you're not at fault and their personal insurance won't cover it because they were using it for a commercial activity. The PA is issuing drivers tickets because they don't have a TLC license and the fines total to more than $5k so that's why the Uner drivers are scared.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 15:20
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have always been picked up upstairs, and I prefer it that way. Why would anyone want to brave the mob scene at the arrivals area curb? Get your baggage (if you checked it in) and ride the elevator to the third level, where you can peacefully await your pickup, whether that is an Uber or a friend/relative. You are doing them, and yourself, a favor.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Nope, Not Uber X only TLC and good chance they will get 4 huge tickets.
Just go to level 3 & you will see all the cars waiting.

I believe you but couldn't you just tell the cop the driver is your friend?

That's cute, yeah that'll work. We used to do that years ago...fib.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 8:13
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Nope, Not Uber X only TLC and good chance they will get 4 huge tickets.
Just go to level 3 & you will see all the cars waiting.

I believe you but couldn't you just tell the cop the driver is your friend?

Posted on: 2015/6/14 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not making a guess, the last 4 out of 5 times I used UBER X they picked me up on the ground level.

Posted on: 2015/6/14 19:09

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017