Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Faith Matters: Mormons to build a flagship church in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Really, why? Religion is the main source of intolerance and bigotry and produces a lot of people who don't favor diversity

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Wow, some surprising comments, considering how JC loves to fly its 'diversity' flag, lol.

I don't think you understand what diversity means. It goes beyond the narrow type of "diversity" found in Newark.

It means a mix of all types of people. Like it or not, religious types are part of what constitutes diversity.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
"We will NOT tolerate your intolerance."

Fact of the matter is that intolerance is not always bad. Intolerance against ignorance, violence, criminal behavior, etc, are all completely fine. I think one of the odd developments in the modern world is tolerance being seen as such a virtue in itself that it impedes human progress.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Really, why? Religion is the main source of intolerance and bigotry and produces a lot of people who don't favor diversity

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Wow, some surprising comments, considering how JC loves to fly its 'diversity' flag, lol.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/2 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
But that's pretty much what all religions try to do.
Try Humanism instead. Celebrate reality.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
It's because children are indoctrinated to religion at a very young age, before they can actually make a decision if it is what they want to believe. Then a large majority grow up as ignorant adults because they have religiously bigoted parents.

THIS. I can't think of any religion that doesn't exhort its congregants (subtly and overtly) to ensure their kids are brought up in the ideals and principles they espouse. That's how they ensure their survival and growth!

Personally, I think we would all be better off if instead we just made it a point to teach kids to be good, compassionate human beings. Everything else would fall into place if you start from there.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
But that's pretty much what all religions try to do.
Try Humanism instead. Celebrate reality.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
It's because children are indoctrinated to religion at a very young age, before they can actually make a decision if it is what they want to believe. Then a large majority grow up as ignorant adults because they have religiously bigoted parents.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 10:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/2 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just another bunch of god botherers - If they can instill some empathy and ethics into the community, then more power to them ... that said, if they start with morals and lifestyle preaching, they'll be introduced to a bucket of water on my door step.

Why can't we have a group of people door knocking, preaching and advocating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights instead? Its fundamentally what most religions preach without all the bothering god stuff!

Posted on: 2015/6/1 23:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Faith Matters: Gay rights an issue for the 21st Century

In late May, a trifecta of events converged to highlight that gay rights is a social issue that will reverberate well into the 21st century. Jersey City native Rev. Warren Hall was removed as director of Campus Ministry at Seton Hall University and became the first priest of the Archdiocese of Newark to ever come out in such a public way.

At the same time, Derrick Gordon, the first publicly out active Division I men's basketball player, transferred from U. Mass to Seton Hall. Then Catholic Ireland voted overwhelmingly to legalize same-sex marriage. Reacting to the vote, Dublin's Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said, "We [the church] have to stop and have a reality check, not move into denial of the realities."

Evidently, in an interview with Outsports magazine, Hall believes that his removal by the Archdiocese, which runs the university and assigns all the clergy on faculty and staff, resulted from his Facebook posts and tweets on pro-gay matters. Thousands of students rallied to his defense and asked that he be reinstated, which seems unlikely now that he is requesting a sabbatical. It's very possible that peer pressure at the university prompted the Archdiocese to act.

I e-mailed Hall and commended him on his honesty and courage. Considering the church's teaching and past history of dealing with any matter remotely gay, there is a poor track record. My prayer is that he stays the course and returns to active ministry.

He is not the first priest to come out as gay in the U.S. and there are some who come out to a small circle of friends. Sexual orientation is not an impediment to ordination and ministry as long as one embraces the vows. The toughest part may be what his openness does to other clergy, who may feel threatened by his candor.

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/1 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yes, ain't it awful? People who don't smoke or drink and practice evangelism and traditional values are moving into Jersey City. Truly frightening, and a bad sign for the future of overpriced bars in our town.

I'm not a Mormon, not even close, but I know a bunch of them. It's hard to imagine a less harmful group of people. Yeah, there are abuses in their leadership, but name me a church that doesn't have that.

Well, harmless to those that aren?t gay. Then it?s all about dumping money into preventing them from marrying?

I know Mormons that are deplorable and I know some that are quite wonderful, but it is a very private faith that isn?t very charitable:
Quote:
For instance, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS or Mormon Church), which regularly trumpets its charitable donations, gave about $1 billion to charitable causes between 1985 and 2008. That may seem like a lot until you divide it by the twenty-three-year time span and realize this church is donating only about 0.7 percent of its annual income.2 Other religions are more charitable. For instance, the United Methodist Church allocated about 29 percent of its revenues to charitable causes in 2010 (about $62 million of $214 million received).3 One calculation of the resources expended by 271 U.S. congregations found that, on average, "operating expenses" totaled 71 percent of all the expenditures of religions, much of that going to pay ministers' salaries.4 Financial contributions addressing the physical needs of the poor fall within the remaining 29 percent of expenditures.

I don?t expect them to improve our surroundings outside of taking away an abandoned car dealership but there is nothing wrong with them being here.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 18:37
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Wow - Quiet, well-mannered, don't drink / smoke /party - WELCOME!! Do you need to rent an apartment - sounds like pretty good tenants.

Until they pop out 12 kids.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Wow - Quiet, well-mannered, don't drink / smoke /party - WELCOME!! Do you need to rent an apartment - sounds like pretty good tenants.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yes, ain't it awful? People who don't smoke or drink and practice evangelism and traditional values are moving into Jersey City. Truly frightening, and a bad sign for the future of overpriced bars in our town.

I'm not a Mormon, not even close, but I know a bunch of them. It's hard to imagine a less harmful group of people. Yeah, there are abuses in their leadership, but name me a church that doesn't have that.

I am with you on this. I have met a bunch a mormons in my lifetime (and, an old ex is a Mormon herself) and I have to say that, as far as people go, they are the group of which I would worry the least. My experience has always been that they are always polite, well mannered and of generally good intentions.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/27 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
In the early 1990s the Mormons were canvassing downtown JC. One day they rang my doorbell and my husband answered the door. They asked my husband if there were any Puerto Ricans in the building. My husband said, "No," and they walked away. Then my husband said, "Don't you want to convert me?" They said they only were looking for Puerto Ricans or Spanish speaking people and they left.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/27 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
They also have another large church in Journal Square near the Culinary Arts (Community College).

Posted on: 2015/5/27 0:59

Faith Matters: Mormons to build a flagship church in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Faith Matters: Mormons to build a flagship church in Jersey City

By Rev. Alexander Santora/For the Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on May 26, 2015 at  7:18 PM

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints  has taken root and is growing in Hudson County. They recently purchased a large tract on Route 139 and Bevan Street in Jersey City right near Kennedy Boulevard for their newest church center. 

The site of a former car dealership has been vacant for decades and is in a very visible location.  It could be the most prominent of the Mormon churches already on Journal Square, in Union City and West New York.  "We  hope to build a large structure," said Brad Thatcher, a sixth generation Mormon, who is one of the two counselors of the Caldwell Stake, their equivalent of a diocese or region. 

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _a_flagship_church_i.html

Posted on: 2015/5/27 0:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017