Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bogus parking ticket- Has this happened to anyone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Reminds me of a notice I received in the mail from Hoboken a few years ago ? doubling the fine because I didn't pay a parking ticket. I hadn't received the ticket to begin with because I hadn't driven, let alone parked, on the street of the alleged offense.... and, I could prove I was 45 miles away at work at the time. I went to court and the ticket was dropped. It was so bogus the prosecutor never put it to the judge, telling me ?I can't enforce this ? there's no parking meter number.?

So here's my jaded ?I've lived in Hudson County for too long? view. On the assumption everything you've written about the parking is 100% correct ? I've seen some G_g-awful, selfish-ass parking in JC ? this smells like revenue raising. When you go to court they'll offer to drop the 4-97 if you plead guilty to the other charge. Consider this: if you fight but lose and are found guilty on the 4-97 (moving violation, I think) it likely involves points and a hike in your insurance for a few years. Sorry....

Posted on: 2015/5/27 21:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jerseymom, very helpful advice.

I agree, that area for parking seems questionable. If the ticketed offense indicated illegal parking in area or too close to bus stop, that would at least make sense and should be clearly marked with signs. However, those weren't the statutes marked on the ticket.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think you can park on Washington on the southbound side next to target as there is a right turn lane.

If the car was parked in that area north of the bus stop, then I think this is bull.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tamard wrote:
This past Saturday night, a friend of mind parked on Washington Blvd close to the area of Target, on the southbound side of Washington. He was parked next to the Target Parking lot. In this area, weekend parking is allowed without permit. On Sunday morning, he went to his car and found a ticket. He was issued a ticket for statute 332-69 and statute 4-97. He owes the Jersey City a total of $385.

332-69 is Restricted parking zones in front of or near residences of disabled driver. Again, this is a main road and not in front of or on the same side of the road as any of the Newport Towers.

4-97 is for careless driving. This car was parked on Saturday night and the ticket was issued Sunday morning. I guess careless parking falls under careless driving?

My friend called the court and he was told that the reason he received the ticket was because he was parked in front of a handicap driver's vehicle. Not IN or Blocking a Handicap spot but ** IN FRONT ** of a handicap persons car. There isn't even a handicap spot in that area. The disabled driver of the car with the handicap sticker called and complained to the Police. The Police Officer is apparently obligated to issue a ticket. Also, there is no proof that my friend's car was parked after the handicap car parked.

Has this ever happened to anyone on here? Doesn't this sound like a completely bogus ticket that should be fought?

JC Parking

Are you sure parking is allowed on the southbound lanes of Washington Blvd, by the Target parking lot? As far as I can remember, from the point where 18th Street becomes Washington Blvd, there is bus stop (immediately before the light at the entrance to the Target parking lot) and past that light there is a turning lane where it is illegal to park at any time. After that is another light, and then you are by Staples. Check the signs carefully.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely fight this in court. Take photos of exactly where the car was parked and indicate signage, handicapped parking, etc. Get a long shot perspective so the judge can see where your friend parked in relation to the local surroundings.

You will need to request a court date to fight the tickets.

Do not plea down when the court date comes. The prosecutor may present your friend with a deal to "just pay a fine" to settle out. He/she will say "well, if you lose, you'll have to pay $$$$ plus court fees." Just have your evidence in hand so you can fight this if your friend feels this was not according to the law.

You may want to ask another officer how the ticket was issued just to make sure you're in the right here (and your statutes are correct). Check the signs carefully to make sure they don't indicate any preference for handicapped drivers or a blue striped median that would indicate space is needed for a handicapped parker.

If I read 332-69 correctly, this allows the city to establish/authorize a handicapped parking space in front of a residence, with very specific conditions (including prohibition if that person has access to a garage). It doesn't say that if you park in said spot, you get a ticket. I would think that is covered under another statute? If you fought this, you could have the state prove that the person who complained about you met ALL of the restrictions and had authorization to park in said spot.

332-69

New Jersey Handicap Statutes

The 4-97 doesn't even make any sense since the car was parked. In order to prove 4-97, State must show:

1. You were the driver - usually elicited by police or witness testimony in the identification phase of the trial;

2. you were driving a vehicle - vehicle is interpreted expansively to include bicycles although riding a bike on sidewalk is a defense;

3. on a highway;

4. careless or without caution;

5. in a manner endangering or likely to endanger;

6. person or property.

This one is even more bothersome, because it involves points in the case of a conviction.

I'm sorry your friend has to go through this. It's a lot of time and frustration.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 22:27

Bogus parking ticket- Has this happened to anyone?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This past Saturday night, a friend of mind parked on Washington Blvd close to the area of Target, on the southbound side of Washington. He was parked next to the Target Parking lot. In this area, weekend parking is allowed without permit. On Sunday morning, he went to his car and found a ticket. He was issued a ticket for statute 332-69 and statute 4-97. He owes the Jersey City a total of $385.

332-69 is Restricted parking zones in front of or near residences of disabled driver. Again, this is a main road and not in front of or on the same side of the road as any of the Newport Towers.

4-97 is for careless driving. This car was parked on Saturday night and the ticket was issued Sunday morning. I guess careless parking falls under careless driving?

My friend called the court and he was told that the reason he received the ticket was because he was parked in front of a handicap driver's vehicle. Not IN or Blocking a Handicap spot but ** IN FRONT ** of a handicap persons car. There isn't even a handicap spot in that area. The disabled driver of the car with the handicap sticker called and complained to the Police. The Police Officer is apparently obligated to issue a ticket. Also, there is no proof that my friend's car was parked after the handicap car parked.

Has this ever happened to anyone on here? Doesn't this sound like a completely bogus ticket that should be fought?

JC Parking

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017