Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fee based classes in Hamilton Park??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I usually encourage my dogs to poop in the middle of the "soccer camps".

Posted on: 2015/4/29 2:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting article on related topics:

http://www.parksandrecreation.org/201 ... sinesses-in-Public-Parks/

AlexC I have no problem with anyone doing any of that stuff for free. What bothers me is businesses using the park in lieu of indoor space, if they are not paying for it. They are profiting from public space. Can I just set up a stand selling anything at the park? I wish one of the businesses would chime in - perhaps they have paid a fee/made arrangements somehow and this is all moot. I will say I am sure VVP would be all over them if they tried this over there!

Posted on: 2015/4/29 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Assuming the principals and the client are both JC taxpayers, wouldn't they be entitled to using the park? Unless they're infringing or monopolizing space in a public park, there's really no difference if I wanted to teach a bunch of kids soccer on my free time, without charging money, no?

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
by tamard on 2015/4/28 20:38:51

Isn't there a tennis instructor(s) who conducts private lessons for a fee using HP courts? How is this different? Just curious...

It's really not different at all. Businesses that are using public space to conduct classes are taking away free space from others. The parks were not designed to be business incubators.

It really is about time something is done about regulating this misuse of space. If I want to take my kid to the park, I shouldn't have to compete with a business owner taking up the clear space with a class that he/she is making money on at the expense of those that support the park.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by tamard on 2015/4/28 20:38:51

Isn't there a tennis instructor(s) who conducts private lessons for a fee using HP courts? How is this different? Just curious...

It's really not different at all. Businesses that are using public space to conduct classes are taking away free space from others. The parks were not designed to be business incubators.

It really is about time something is done about regulating this misuse of space. If I want to take my kid to the park, I shouldn't have to compete with a business owner taking up the clear space with a class that he/she is making money on at the expense of those that support the park.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 0:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/29 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - this business is also starting up classes there:

Sports Classes for kids in Hamilton Park!

Awesome multi-sport class now offered in Hamilton Park on Tuesdays at 5pm with The Inner Athlete!

www.theinnerathlete.net

Email Lisa at info@theinnerathlete.net to reserve your spot!

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I think I'm going to start my own al fresco dining experience in the park. Since it seems perfectly OK for other people to exploit the free space so that they can make some income then I might as well do that too. I'm going to commandeer an area of the park with chairs and tables and sell food and soft drinks to people that want it. Yeah that would be great. Maybe I'll just takeover the gazebo to serve food since apparently people can use any space they want to in the park to generate their own business income.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would argue that farmers market and other such permit based activities are open to the general public and enhance the park experience regardless of if one chooses to spend their money. Also, organized soccer on the "dog allowed" section of grass will turn it into a dirt field like the other quadrant! If permits have been obtained for these classes, so be it, but I doubt they have been.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/12 19:52
From World Cup
Group:
Registered Users
Aren't the farmer's markets and events like the big BBQ commercial activities by virtue of businesses profiting? The fact that they have city sponsorship/permits of course separates them from things like the bootcamp which presumable doesn't have a permit, but they are all still commercial activities.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:16

Fee based classes in Hamilton Park??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have seen Super Soccer Stars holding classes on Sundays and now CKO is starting outdoor classes in Hamilton Park. I thought that nobody is allowed to make a profit for using the park facilities? Wasn't it part of the grants or whatever were received for the renovations? I think the bootcamps that had been running had a "donate if tou want" policy.

It does not seem right for for-profit companies to use the public land without paying a fee to the city or HP conservancy/whatever at least, but preferably not at all. The park is not meant for organized commercial activities - is it?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017