Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Coming Soon - Carvao BBQ in McGinly Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I agree about Mighty Quinn and Hill Country. Fette Sau in Brooklyn is also excellent.

But I bought a Weber Smoker a few years ago, and have gotten my ribs, brisket and pulled pork up to legit standards. My fiance's family also has a large rectangular grill with a rotisserie, and we did a whole lamb on it for Easter, and will be doing a whole suckling pig for the Fourth of July.

A decent BBQ place would be great locally, but I find lately that my friends and I can pretty much match any place I have tried. I like BBQ for entertaining. You can just let the meat smoke and then rest, and still have fun with your guests.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
The best thing at Dino's are 1) salted potatoes 2) the wings with wango tango sauce 3) the shrimp boil

I can eat fuktons of any of those three all day long.

I miss RUB's weekly burger special. Blue Smoke can be hit or miss, Brother Jimmy's is mostly miss, but some of the others like Fette Sau and Salt Lick are pretty on point most of the time.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
For my taste, Mighty Quinn brisket and pulled pork are the best of NY options I have tried. West village location is perfect for a quick stop before Christopher path. Hill country is great for Manhattan as well... RIP RUB, loved that place. Amazing that there was a time when Dallas BBQ and Virgil's were the only game in town.

Regarding Carvao, those site pix make it look like more a grill than BBQ? as long as it is "good", fine with either... but yeah, Downtown is ripe for legit Q.

Be sure to check out the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in june. I'll be the guy standing first in line when Big Bob Gibson opens.

I loved the burned ends at RUB I had to get there early or they would run out. I also loved their coleslaw and fries.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what type of BBQ place is supposed to be moving into the Vespa dealership next to Hamilton Inn?

Posted on: 2015/4/23 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
Haven't tried MQ but wonder how it stacks up to BS.

Hard to compare, both have specialties worth going for. For BS I do the S&P beef ribs, at MQ it's brisket & pulled pork (beef short rib is very good as well. Hill Country Brisket is still very good, killer sausage and interesting larger format stuff like the prime rib. Dino is a lot of "good" but not necessarily transcendent items, but I do think the wings are excellent. Daisy May's used to be my go-to for ribs, have need been in a while so can not speak to current quality.

RUB was the only place consistently serving up burnt ends, miss that the most. MQ has it on the menu, but they are broken down into a saucy/slurry deal. I did not dig it, but understand it's common in TX (salt lick specifically?).

For the brisket heads, Salt lick is one of the purveyors at BBQ block party.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
While walking over to Our Hero, the windows for this place was open and I peered inside. I saw a ginormous Blue Moon sign and a big bar setup. I wasn?t sure what it was and now I know. The contractors putting the place together described it as a sports bar that was coming soon.

I just hope the place is good...

Posted on: 2015/4/23 13:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hill Country is definitely legit. Good ambiance and food, but beer selection is so-so. Dinosaur BBQ has a great selection of beers on tap. I definitely think the Harlem location is head and shoulders above the Newark location. The original Syracuse location is definitely worth a visit!

JcDevil: thank you for that recommendation. I don't think I have ever heard of Mighty Quinn's. After I moved back here from Texas, I went on a serious search for BBQ places in the region and came away mostly empty handed. The options have improved in recent years, but I am still missing having a place close by where I can just walk in, get a cold beer and just hang out while working up an appetite for some finger-licking, BBQ goodness. Or, a cat fish fry!! Of course, outdoor space would add to the charm and allure.

It's only really been the past few years that the BBQ around the area has really started to hit its stride. Daisy May's was fine, but never anything to write home about. Mighty Quinn's, "chain"-ness aside (hey, there are multiple Salt Licks, too) is in the batch that I would call legitimately good. The closest one is in Hudson Eats, but the ambiance is better at the big, full-service one in the West Village (also super close to the PATH).

Beyond that, Delaney BBQ in Brooklyn is the best Texas-style in the area... it's just a pain to get to, requiring a transfer at Fulton. A few blocks away, and more pork-focused is Fette Sau, also worth the trip but far from convenient.

That said, if any serious pitmasters are listening, I'm pretty sure that JC is yearning for a legit BBQ place... way more room for a smoker here than in Brooklyn...

If Fulop or anyone from the city reads this board. I called the fire and zoning people multiple times about what is needed for an indoor smoker... No response.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've always wanted to open up a BBQ spot, but the money is tight. I've catered a few events. I've eaten at all the spots you guys have mentioned. The woodpit in Montclair is probably the most authentic i've had.

Best brisket i've had was at the Salt lick.

Dinos claim to fame was the chicken which well its chicken.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 5:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
Dissapointed with Dino. Blue Smoke is my favorite Q close to JC. Haven't tried MQ but wonder how it stacks up to BS.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
For my taste, Mighty Quinn brisket and pulled pork are the best of NY options I have tried. West village location is perfect for a quick stop before Christopher path. Hill country is great for Manhattan as well... RIP RUB, loved that place. Amazing that there was a time when Dallas BBQ and Virgil's were the only game in town.

Regarding Carvao, those site pix make it look like more a grill than BBQ? as long as it is "good", fine with either... but yeah, Downtown is ripe for legit Q.

Be sure to check out the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in june. I'll be the guy standing first in line when Big Bob Gibson opens.

SO TRUE about R.U.B.!! I miss that place. That was awesome BBQ.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/22 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I second the recommendation for Mighty Quinn's BBQ. Some great stuff.

Also, a bit off topic but Mighty Quinn's got their start as a "prepared food vendor" at a Brooklyn farmers mart type environment. Their stand was so enormously popular it led them to open several restaurant locations. Further proving that laws which are the result of crony capitalism - such as the recent law banning food trucks within 300 feet of a restaurant - only hurt consumers, and essentially everyone except for the restaurant owners who lobby for such bans. I'll step off the soapbox now lol.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
FYI - there are works for a BBQ joint near Hamilton Park in the old VESPA dealership building on 10th. Not sure when it will be opening, name, etc. however there has been work going on on-and-off for months.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
This isn't easily accessible to downtown, but has anyone been to The Wood Pit? http://www.thewoodpit.com/
I went once and really liked it. I smelled like wood smoke all day. Would love to hear what others think of it.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hill Country is definitely legit. Good ambiance and food, but beer selection is so-so. Dinosaur BBQ has a great selection of beers on tap. I definitely think the Harlem location is head and shoulders above the Newark location. The original Syracuse location is definitely worth a visit!

JcDevil: thank you for that recommendation. I don't think I have ever heard of Mighty Quinn's. After I moved back here from Texas, I went on a serious search for BBQ places in the region and came away mostly empty handed. The options have improved in recent years, but I am still missing having a place close by where I can just walk in, get a cold beer and just hang out while working up an appetite for some finger-licking, BBQ goodness. Or, a cat fish fry!! Of course, outdoor space would add to the charm and allure.

It's only really been the past few years that the BBQ around the area has really started to hit its stride. Daisy May's was fine, but never anything to write home about. Mighty Quinn's, "chain"-ness aside (hey, there are multiple Salt Licks, too) is in the batch that I would call legitimately good. The closest one is in Hudson Eats, but the ambiance is better at the big, full-service one in the West Village (also super close to the PATH).

Beyond that, Delaney BBQ in Brooklyn is the best Texas-style in the area... it's just a pain to get to, requiring a transfer at Fulton. A few blocks away, and more pork-focused is Fette Sau, also worth the trip but far from convenient.

That said, if any serious pitmasters are listening, I'm pretty sure that JC is yearning for a legit BBQ place... way more room for a smoker here than in Brooklyn...

Posted on: 2015/4/22 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What I am really wondering is: are they really planning to put 20 50" TVs in that space? And if so, why is it that so many new businesses/restaurants/bars in JC seem to feel the need to saturate their spaces with TVs?

Ive always wondered this. I actually cant think of any bar (maybe Pint?) that doesnt have TVs. The ones without tend to always be my favorite because it forces people to talk and not zombie out on the screens above.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

LimpiarElSucio: I was the one that in addition to being a BBQ "connoisseur" (and snob!) is also pining for Texas BBQ. I really, really like the "smoked for hours on end" and dry rub that characterizes true Texas BBQ. Very few things make my mouth water like approaching a place with smoking pits going strong. Turkey or chicken that has been smoked can be moist and tasty. Sausages also turn out well. My second favorite BBQ is a toss up between North Carolina (love that red, vinegar sauce!) and Memphis (which, to me, is a nice cross between Texas and Carolina styles). I will PM you later.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

You know what you are talking about! not too many people know that there are different rib cuts or even styles of american bbq. By st louis i didn't mean the style of rib cut, just that the ribs were covered in sauce and looked grilled. Whoever said they cant wait for texas style bbq... are you serious?! the only thing that texas bbqs well is brisket... 1 dish.

Dino in Newark is for sure the SECOND BEST accessible american bbq in the area (its not that tough to get to... its 2 blocks from the path statation in newark). and I agree that Golden Grille is pretty solid churasceria style bbq for the price. I wish that it were a pay by the pound place for lunch like brazilian hole-in-the-wall spots in astoria. My personal favorite rodizio places are Rio 22 in Union and Churrascaria Plataforma on 49th street.

If you are interested in trying some of THE BEST BBQ in the area though... message me - I smoke north alabama style bbq almost every weekend.

Texas does brisket, beef ribs, and smoked sausage. Regional BBQ wars aside, I don't really understand all the love for Dino. The meat is dry and has barely any real smoke flavor; the sauces are one-note and mediocre at best (not that good Q should ever need sauce, but still); and the service is atrocious. Only good thing I can really say about the place is that they have a solid draft list and they're right next to the Pru.

You're better off just hopping the PATH the other direction to WTC and grabbing some Mighty Quinn's, which I'd say is the best easily accessible BBQ to DTJC, although Hill Country is just a hop away from the 23rd St PATH, too.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I'm super excited for this place! I'm moving from downtown to this area next month. Great to see some restaurants popping up!

Posted on: 2015/4/22 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hard to tell from those pictures, but I didn't think the ribs looked like St Louis style in particular. In the St. Louis style, the ribs are more "boxy" and rectangular, and usually heavily sauced. Whatever they are, I will definitely check them out and give it a try. I love (LOVE!) BBQ, and I am always disappointed with what passes for BBQ in this area. Dinosaur is pretty good, but the location in Newark is a pain to get to, and the one in Harlem is a little too far to make it a go-to place. Daisy May is pretty good, but it is in the middle of nowhere, quite literally.

For really good Brazilian grill, I normally hit up Golden Grille. I feel they don't get enough attention or mention. Their food is really good, plentiful and very well priced. For $20 you can feed three to four people with food that is tasty and well executed.

You know what you are talking about! not too many people know that there are different rib cuts or even styles of american bbq. By st louis i didn't mean the style of rib cut, just that the ribs were covered in sauce and looked grilled. Whoever said they cant wait for texas style bbq... are you serious?! the only thing that texas bbqs well is brisket... 1 dish.

Dino in Newark is for sure the SECOND BEST accessible american bbq in the area (its not that tough to get to... its 2 blocks from the path statation in newark). and I agree that Golden Grille is pretty solid churasceria style bbq for the price. I wish that it were a pay by the pound place for lunch like brazilian hole-in-the-wall spots in astoria. My personal favorite rodizio places are Rio 22 in Union and Churrascaria Plataforma on 49th street.

If you are interested in trying some of THE BEST BBQ in the area though... message me - I smoke north alabama style bbq almost every weekend.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What I am really wondering is: are they really planning to put 20 50" TVs in that space? And if so, why is it that so many new businesses/restaurants/bars in JC seem to feel the need to saturate their spaces with TVs?

Posted on: 2015/4/22 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
BTW, what is the white powder on dry sausage?

The natural casings of some dry cured sausages are inoculated with a harmless type of mold.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 13:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
Sounds like a good addition to the area!

Speaking of McGinley Sq why hasn't anyone tried to do anything with the old Citizen Kane's on Montgomery Street?

I don't have any info on the old Citizen Kane's/McGinley Square Pub space, but there is an old thread on it here.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
The photos look like stock photos which have been photoshopped. Don't be surprised that what you will get is not what you see.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak to the choice of images on their site, but they are going for Portuguese style BBQ. Menu will also have burgers, sandwiches, wraps and small plates. They are hoping to open first week of May.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Look at the second image - the sausages and the cut cheese might give someone a clue. BTW, what is the white powder on dry sausage?

Posted on: 2015/4/22 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Is it brazilian or american style bbq? the name is portuguese but the website image is of st louis style ribs...

Hard to tell from those pictures, but I didn't think the ribs looked like St Louis style in particular. In the St. Louis style, the ribs are more "boxy" and rectangular, and usually heavily sauced. Whatever they are, I will definitely check them out and give it a try. I love (LOVE!) BBQ, and I am always disappointed with what passes for BBQ in this area. Dinosaur is pretty good, but the location in Newark is a pain to get to, and the one in Harlem is a little too far to make it a go-to place. Daisy May is pretty good, but it is in the middle of nowhere, quite literally.

For really good Brazilian grill, I normally hit up Golden Grille. I feel they don't get enough attention or mention. Their food is really good, plentiful and very well priced. For $20 you can feed three to four people with food that is tasty and well executed.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is it brazilian or american style bbq? the name is portuguese but the website image is of st louis style ribs...

Posted on: 2015/4/21 21:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like a good addition to the area!

Speaking of McGinley Sq why hasn't anyone tried to do anything with the old Citizen Kane's on Montgomery Street?

Posted on: 2015/4/21 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
They are hoping to open up in a few weeks.I'm talking to the owner tonight and hope to get a more current update.Pale is gorgeous inside - 3 sided large bar with 8 taps, about 30+ bottles. Seating for about 70+.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 20:26

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017