Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Whitlock Cordage Interrupted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

marullos88 wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source ... 35frdXI_czgdrrXLcv5PUq7og

See pdf from the nj hfma in the link.
Apparently the state owns it now and was looking for potential buyers to submit proposals by 3/15/15. It also says it's a low income housing development, with some (about a third) market rate units. Excuse the long url.

Anyone know anything?

If it is designated as a majority low income housing development no developer will touch it without a hefty subsidy from the state or local gov't. There is no money to be made on low income housing. A large development also requires a developer with deep pockets and a long timeline to recoup his investment.
good. government should stop creating low income ghettoes

Posted on: 2015/4/19 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marullos88 wrote:

Apparently the state owns it now and was looking for potential buyers to submit proposals by 3/15/15. It also says it's a low income housing development, with some (about a third) market rate units. Excuse the long url.

Anyone know anything?

If it is designated as a majority low income housing development no developer will touch it without a hefty subsidy from the state or local gov't. There is no money to be made on low income housing. A large development also requires a developer with deep pockets and a long timeline to recoup his investment.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the state should be trying to change the formula...move away from concentration of low income people, unless those low income people do spmething to deserve the place like making sure their children get good grades or SOMETHING!

Posted on: 2015/4/18 21:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Anyone know anything?

Posted on: 2015/4/18 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
it's a shame this project has languished. it plus a new light rail stop on pacific could really help transform that area into something better.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'll ask again at the next Morris Canal Redevelopment meeting; I had also reached out to Tamara Laine, who covers JC for Channel 9's 'Chasing News' (formerly 'Chasing NJ'). She's done stories on local JC parking issues, and attended and reported on yesterdays Stations of the Cross event. Tamara had previously reported on another story I suggested she'd cover, so I'd hoped for another story. So far, nothing.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any news on this project

Posted on: 2015/4/4 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
He didn't say but I heard they were almost finished with it. Also, I really wanted a tour but he wasn't having it. Security is tight there! I was in the rope factory years ago, before it was converted. It smelled like pot everywhere because the ship ropes that were manufactured there were made of hemp. That was interesting :)

Posted on: 2013/4/24 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome. Did he have any info. on time frame or when more info. would come out?

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
It's gorgeous! I spoke with the security guard, they're definitely working on it. That's the old Morris Canal behind it. Cobblestones, tow path, and all. Check out the aerial view on Google Earth. It's really cool.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Anything on this?
They still seem to be working on it, was trying to attach pics.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know more too. I cannot seem to find a working phone number or website in order to get any updates at all.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates on this?

Posted on: 2011/9/1 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I talked for a minute yesterday with a supervisory-looking worker. There was a lot going on with shovels & bulldozers. He said the goal is have all the work wrapped up in a year (which seems awfully ambitious to me). It didn't sound as if they're planning on opening in phases. Would appreciate any additional news or up-to-date info sources anyone can offer.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
After multiple lawsuits, some still ongoing, the project has restarted with Scruggs still at the shaky helm. The city required them to rip up the new blacktop in order to get to the exiting sewer lines, which were not properly installed by their previous contractor or inspected by the city after completion, and they are now trying to get back on schedule.

Work has also begun on some of the interiors and repairs to most exteriors. I?ve heard rental dates starting between this fall and spring of next year?I wouldn?t hold my breath the way this development has been handled.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 15:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Here we are and its 2011 so Whitlock Cordage project has been under construction for 8 years? I can't even remember when they started.

Wally Scruggs and the rest of the grifters at Housing "Trust" of America seem to have collected their take from the Federal grants, etc. and left the actual project high and dry.

HTA should never have gotten this property. It was a sordid, slimy process from the minute the original owner declared bankruptcy. The property was never properly listed so no one knew it was available except for connected insiders, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. Its just a huge disappointment after all the work by CABA and JCLC to prevent the bldgs. from being demolished.

Maybe another developer, a local one who cares, will acquire it now? Or will our City Council just twiddle their thumbs while the half-finished bldgs. decay once again in the elements.

I'll try to dig up the latest updates but if anyone knows anything about the property, please take a minute to update this thread.

Currently, its just another black eye for Lafayette.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 13:43

Whitlocke Cordage Back on Track?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
It seems, finally, that there is a lot of activity now at Whitlock Cordage on the west side of Lafayette Park, with the parking lot full each day of tradesman and workers. Also at night, there are some lights in the buildings now. Does anyone know of a timetable for opening? Will it open as condos? Rentals? Or a mix?

Posted on: 2011/3/2 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
That's a good question. This project has really tested our patience here and no one seems to have any answers for us.
It's obvious that lack of money is the reason. Six years is a long time to build anything.
Once again we in Lafayette have to fight tooth and nail to get any answers and any action to benefit our community.
Empty buildings have plagued us for decades.....
I have no answers. WE have called and nothing.
Now that you mention it I will contact Planning and see what they have to say.
Thank you

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It seems liike work has virtually stopped again or at least really slowed down. What is going on with this project. Its web site and phone numbers are still defunct.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
First: It has been under construction for 5 years. Too long if you ask me.
Second: There has been no coordination with the city and the developer. Traffic and infrastructure were not considered at all.
Third:Once again this is a development that excludes the rest of the neighborhood but will pour its tenants onto the streets.
Fourth: They will have their own shuttle that will take them to the light rail, creating more traffic but it is only for Whitlock residents
Fifth: their commercial property will only be for Whitlock residents.
Sixth: Have not hired any local contractors to work on the job.
Seventh: Our planning dept let them build right to the property line where as in downtown they create beautiful landscaping and large fancy sidewalks....

I can keep going but I'm just getting more upset typing this.

Wowsers.

It's sad that no local contractors were hired to work on the job, but I find it particularly bizarre that their commercial property will be for Whitlock Mills residents only.

Maybe I am confused about what their intentions are for their commercial property, but wouldn't most retailers want to be open to the greater community and not behind some sort of gate (especially as Bergen-Lafayette continues along its gentrification path)?

Plus, I am quite sure that existing Bergen-Lafeyette residents would also appreciate some fresh retail options.

It seems like a weird strategy to attract retailers and boost community support.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 8:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
First: It has been under construction for 5 years. Too long if you ask me.
Second: There has been no coordination with the city and the developer. Traffic and infrastructure were not considered at all.
Third:Once again this is a development that excludes the rest of the neighborhood but will pour its tenants onto the streets.
Fourth: They will have their own shuttle that will take them to the light rail, creating more traffic but it is only for Whitlock residents
Fifth: their commercial property will only be for Whitlock residents.
Sixth: Have not hired any local contractors to work on the job.
Seventh: Our planning dept let them build right to the property line where as in downtown they create beautiful landscaping and large fancy sidewalks....

I can keep going but I'm just getting more upset typing this.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 14:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why do you say its the worst development ever? It looks pretty innovative to me- both in the style and in the mix of use. Some of the workmanship, however, looks a little shoddy (the brick face is this faux veneer on the new buildings). Yes, there will be more traffic, but our neighborhood is underpopulated now and, this is a city after all which is suppossed to have density. Density allows one to have stores, etc. I think that the project will make Lafayette Park, which is really very nice, more user friendly. What kid wants to play in an empty park?

Posted on: 2008/6/30 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Whitlock and the rest of the construction in this area has been a disaster with no coordination and planning. They keep saying they will be finished but as usual Lafayette gets hit with the worst development ever and they got a 40 year tax abatement, Go figure!

Posted on: 2008/6/30 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
Just wondering if the Whitlock Mills development is finally back on track.

While there has been lots of buzz about what's been going on at The Beacon and Canco Lofts, I haven't seen much on the Whitlock Cordage renovations in awhile.

Has anyone out there heard any news about it recently?
They have had a full crew working on the site for the last 6 months and are hoping to start renting by early fall. The only building without brick facing is the one on Manning Ave. They still have to pave the rest of the development, and tie the new units into the sewer system. I sure hope they complete this project this time.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Just wondering if the Whitlock Mills development is finally back on track.

While there has been lots of buzz about what's been going on at The Beacon and Canco Lofts, I haven't seen much on the Whitlock Cordage renovations in awhile.

Has anyone out there heard any news about it recently?

Posted on: 2008/6/30 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The project in my opinion is a disaster. They have been working on it for the last 3 years. The same company got approved to do a senior building in downtown and promised they would build with minimal problems. Whitlock is going to be a mix of market rate and low income units with priority consideration given to Jersey City residents. The number they used to have to get info is disconnected. I t hink any questions should be directed to their lawyer from Connell Foley - McCann or call planning board and ask Bob Cotter what is going on with applications. If you are from the area the traffice nightmare will only get worse when this project is complete in the Lafayette area.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Thanks again for the update, Parkman.

It is great to see the continued development of JC ..... especially in its interior.
That?s why this project, along with the conversion of the National Carpet building, is so important to this area. It will help stabilize Webb Park, make the neighborhood safer, and possibly jump-start supporting retail on Garfield Ave. It?s been a long time coming.

Posted on: 2007/2/26 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks again for the update, Parkman.

It is great to see the continued development of JC ..... especially in its interior.

Posted on: 2007/2/26 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I was told there has been an agreement reached between the developer, contractor and insurance companies. Today, a crew was at the site to evaluate the damage done to the project since the dispute and work is to start anew next week.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone heard anything concerning the progress of Whitlock Mills? Last post quotes the developer that an effort would be made to start moving in people at the end of this calendar quarter.

I called their offices but only reached their voice mail.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 22:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017