Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
So, are they doing Cinco De Mayo on Grove this year? Are they allowed to serve food and drinks, same as past years? If yes, will Two Boots be mad?

Two Boots:

- On food trucks @ Grove St Plaza: "We need government intervention to save the restaurant market!"

- On limits on franchises/chains: "Wait, no we DON'T need government intervention here. jk!"

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
So, are they doing Cinco De Mayo on Grove this year? Are they allowed to serve food and drinks, same as past years? If yes, will Two Boots be mad?

Two Boots:

- On food trucks @ Grove St Plaza: "We need government intervention to save the restaurant market!"

- On limits on franchises/chains: "Wait, no we DON'T need government intervention here. jk!"

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
Cool my JC Listin' Peeps asny10011 and JCMan8...Yeah not sure JCMan8....I'll keep my ears open!

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I agree. I think more competition drives better menus and prices. Better for the consumer.

Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:
This here is a COMMUNITY! We all need each other! There is no monopoly on people's stomachs...what are we supposed to eat the same damn food everyday...come on...get real Jersey City! Holy crap!

I agree, but this discussion has been beaten to death in this thread. Candice Osbourne came here and agreed that the recent law effectively banning food trucks downtown was very problematic and needed reform.

The other day someone made a comment that there would be a reading of a new "food truck ordinance" at the City Council meeting but I can't find any information on it. Is it the reform that Candice agreed we need? Will it allow food trucks back in the Grove Street Plaza? I can't tell and didn't see any articles.

Posted on: 2015/4/11 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I agree. I think more competition drives better menus and prices. Better for the consumer.

Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:
This here is a COMMUNITY! We all need each other! There is no monopoly on people's stomachs...what are we supposed to eat the same damn food everyday...come on...get real Jersey City! Holy crap!

I agree, but this discussion has been beaten to death in this thread. Candice Osbourne came here and agreed that the recent law effectively banning food trucks downtown was very problematic and needed reform.

The other day someone made a comment that there would be a reading of a new "food truck ordinance" at the City Council meeting but I can't find any information on it. Is it the reform that Candice agreed we need? Will it allow food trucks back in the Grove Street Plaza? I can't tell and didn't see any articles.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

asnadkarni2012 wrote:
It's Me Casa, Incrediballs & Chopping Block that have been in the Heights on Fridays for the last two weeks. They're always in front of Palisade Liquors and at least last week, the Distillery Gallery opened up to let people sit in there and eat since it was raining.

Incrediballs lives up to its name, I haven't tried the other two. Also, El Chilango seems to now be in the Heights daily in front of Palisade Liquors.

I haven't tried the ME Casa truck food, but I have visited their restaurant many times and it is always delicious. I wish it was a little larger in there, and with better ventilation, but the chef is super friendly and accommodating, their food is delicious and plentiful, and their prices are very reasonable.

Me Casa's food is delicious and the people that work there are all very friendly. I've taken my family there a few times and they've always loved it. Definitely recommend hitting it up. Haven't picked up anything from the truck yet though.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asnadkarni2012 wrote:
It's Me Casa, Incrediballs & Chopping Block that have been in the Heights on Fridays for the last two weeks. They're always in front of Palisade Liquors and at least last week, the Distillery Gallery opened up to let people sit in there and eat since it was raining.

Incrediballs lives up to its name, I haven't tried the other two. Also, El Chilango seems to now be in the Heights daily in front of Palisade Liquors.

I haven't tried the ME Casa truck food, but I have visited their restaurant many times and it is always delicious. I wish it was a little larger in there, and with better ventilation, but the chef is super friendly and accommodating, their food is delicious and plentiful, and their prices are very reasonable.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 16:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 20:45
From Riverview Fisk
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/9 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
First reading of Food Truck ordinance at City Council meeting tonight.

Does anyone know what this was about?

Posted on: 2015/4/9 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
First reading of Food Truck ordinance at City Council meeting tonight.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zimbu1234 wrote:
Looks like the Heights may be benefitting from all of this DTJC food truck nonsense. Last night I saw three of them parked up on a corner on Palisade Ave near Riverview Park. One was Incrediballs but I couldn't tell what the others were.

Sadly there wasn't a food truck in sight at the Friday night thing at Grove PATH.

DTJC get your shit together. https://www.ij.org/food-truck-freedom.

I know that they( trucks) want to come to Central ave, but they can only be by the park ( Pershing Field). Which is OK. If people want to use them they will walk to them like they would any other restaurant. The existing restaurants on Central
avenue don't want them on the avenue. That is why the trucks you saw last night are by Riverview Park. The Hot Dog stand on Bower street & Central may get a reprieve because he has been there so long.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 15:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/8 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the Heights may be benefitting from all of this DTJC food truck nonsense. Last night I saw three of them parked up on a corner on Palisade Ave near Riverview Park. One was Incrediballs but I couldn't tell what the others were.

Sadly there wasn't a food truck in sight at the Friday night thing at Grove PATH.

DTJC get your shit together. https://www.ij.org/food-truck-freedom.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
It is confusing where the City stand on food trucks.

Posted on Facebook:

City of Jersey City Official Government Page

Meet Morris, owner and chef behind the highly popular Taste of India food truck. Morris travels around Jersey City most weekdays feeding hungry office workers and residents alike. You can usually find him at Exchange Place.

Morris has been a JC resident for over 30 years now. He both started and raised his family here.

The city is both trying to define what qualifies as a Farmers' Market, and to support our food trucks. Two weeks ago, the Health Dept sent business owners throughout the city, a list of food trucks that are available to service their buildings, with the commitment to make the permitting proces

"A lot of new businesses are coming to Jersey City, and they're bringing a lot of new opportunities. I feel Jersey City is progressing a lot."

Thanks for making Jersey City yours Morris! #JCMakeItYours

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyCityNJ
The city is both trying to define what qualifies as a Farmers' Market, and to support our food trucks. Two weeks ago, the Health Dept sent business owners throughout the city, a list of food trucks that are available to service their buildings, with a commitment to make the permitting process easier for the trucks to service those properties. I will be using a different food truck each work day for my tenants. This is within an area of JC that does not have many options for lunch, and the response from the neighborhood for this service has been tremendous.

parkman

Posted on: 2015/3/24 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
It is confusing where the City stand on food trucks.

Posted on Facebook:

City of Jersey City Official Government Page

Meet Morris, owner and chef behind the highly popular Taste of India food truck. Morris travels around Jersey City most weekdays feeding hungry office workers and residents alike. You can usually find him at Exchange Place.

Morris has been a JC resident for over 30 years now. He both started and raised his family here.

"A lot of new businesses are coming to Jersey City, and they're bringing a lot of new opportunities. I feel Jersey City is progressing a lot."

Thanks for making Jersey City yours Morris! #JCMakeItYours

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyCityNJ

Posted on: 2015/3/23 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
I have a feeling the ten people bitching about food trucks going away on JClist will have little to no effect on the restaurants that chose to voice their TOTALLY VALID complaints about the food court that was opening up twice a week. I occupied the farmers market as much as the restaurants and I would rather lose the farmers markets food trucks than lose the restaurants that actually made the effort to set up shop downtown. I don't know how anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years can be so quick to turn on restaurants that decided to invest in this area when we had very little to start with.

There is such a sense of entitlement coming across in these posts. If I had a business I busted my ass for I would be fighting for it too. Everyone complains about how long it takes to open a business here but when a brick and mortar store actually tries to- gee I don't know stay in business? - you can't wait to get your pitchforks over someone taking away your empanadas. A local business doesn't exist solely to cater to everyone's individual needs- they are trying to run a business and make a living too.

I've never seen so many grown adults be deliberately obtuse over the differences between food trucks and running an actual restaurant. If anything this entire thread has made me want to go to Two Boots every day. I can't wait to see how long everyone's "boycott" lasts.

Except their complaints are invalid and objectively wrong.

No offense, but there's a reeeeaaaally good chance i've been in this area longer than you (25+ years). I remember when there were REALLY no/few dining options in the neighborhood - every single one of these places could close up shop tomorrow and there'd still be two dozen really good places you could go to in downtown. Especially the pizza places and the fast food joints.

"If you had a business, you'd go to city hall to try and put other businesses out of work to protect you're own"? Cuz that's what you're saying, and that pretty much makes you a dick. They certainly are trying to make a living, as are all the other businesses in the area who aren't trying to make the neighborhood worse by driving an in-demand product away while making said living.

You go to these places daily. Enjoy. My boycott has lasted since the moment this stuff became public knowledge, and insofar as the circle of friends I have outside this list, no one's gone to them either to my knowledge. So hey, maybe you can offset the dozen or so people including myself that I've influenced. Throw in the people here and elsewhere who are doing the same and I kinda doubt it.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

Beat me to the punch. The detractors have no idea what it takes to run a business, and if they had an investment they would think differently. They have a consumers mentality, and I understand that, but there is the other side.

You would know Phil, you own/run 3 businesses.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 20:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:46
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
As well, lets not forget that the well liked restaurants in Jersey City - Taqueria and Kraverie for example, that started from food trucks. The Taqueria owner earlier in this thread has even welcomed food trucks to set up across the street from his business. To say that the current set up is preventing restaurants from opening is complete and total folly. This is a group of businesses, most of whom opened in Jersey City as the Market/Farmers Market/Food Truck scene already existed in its current form, who are trying to change the rules of the area that they decided to enter into.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Food trucks are NOT BEING BANNED. Existing laws that dictate how far they must position themselves with regards to existing restaurants, and for how long, are being enforced.

This is a highly misleading statement.

There is one "existing law" that is being enforced. It was only enacted in March of 2013, and the business owners who lobbied for the prepared foods ban would seem to have been instrumental in this law's passing, given how strongly they want to protect their profits.

Further, it amounts to a defacto ban on food trucks downtown. It bans all trucks within a 300 foot radius of a brick and mortar restaurant. This is why food trucks have been effectively banned from the Grove St Plaza at all hours of the day, along with most of downtown.

Maybe you didn't understand this, but this is also why Candice Osbourne came onto this thread and discussed how this protectionist law is completely unfair to food truck owners and needs to be reformed. Will this talk turn into action? Let's hope.

Trust me, this isn't "histrionics" or a "minor league" issue to those food truck owners who could lose a substantial investment, many times made under the understanding they could operate in the Plaza and other high foot trafficked areas. This very recent special interest law prohibits them from doing so.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
I have a feeling the ten people bitching about food trucks going away on JClist will have little to no effect on the restaurants that chose to voice their TOTALLY VALID complaints about the food court that was opening up twice a week. I occupied the farmers market as much as the restaurants and I would rather lose the farmers markets food trucks than lose the restaurants that actually made the effort to set up shop downtown. I don't know how anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years can be so quick to turn on restaurants that decided to invest in this area when we had very little to start with.

There is such a sense of entitlement coming across in these posts. If I had a business I busted my ass for I would be fighting for it too. Everyone complains about how long it takes to open a business here but when a brick and mortar store actually tries to- gee I don't know stay in business? - you can't wait to get your pitchforks over someone taking away your empanadas. A local business doesn't exist solely to cater to everyone's individual needs- they are trying to run a business and make a living too.

I've never seen so many grown adults be deliberately obtuse over the differences between food trucks and running an actual restaurant. If anything this entire thread has made me want to go to Two Boots every day. I can't wait to see how long everyone's "boycott" lasts.

Beat me to the punch. The detractors have no idea what it takes to run a business, and if they had an investment they would think differently. They have a consumers mentality, and I understand that, but there is the other side.

You fail to recognize that food truck owners are running a business.

Yes, I understand that horse and buggy manufacturers were upset by the introduction of cars. And I'm sure they lobbied the government for protectionist laws too. This does not mean the cars manufacturers weren't also in a business.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/20 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Then go Two Boots every day. I really don't care. If the food trucks are gone, I'll be fine too. If all the downtown restaurants fold, I will not care either. Whether it was ten people or 100 hundred bitching on JCList about the food trucks issue, peoples' opinions obviously meant something to Aaron Morrill or he wouldn't have made as many posts as he did.

Furthermore, if I was a downtown business owner, I'd fight hard for my own business' interests too, but if I was opening up a restaurant and knew about the Farmers Market and food trucks being near my place, that would have some effect on whether I decided to open in the first place or how I would market my own business.

Furthermore, you talk about a sense of entitlement coming across in these posts, maybe there is, but all these restaurants that came in after the outdoor market did clearly have some sense of entitlement too. They knew the market was there, and they shouldn't have opened up in the first place if they thought the market and trucks would be detrimental to their business. They should have just found a nice space off one of the I-78 exits, out toward Short Hills or something, where there would be no food trucks or outdoor markets whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Ha, ha, ha! +1

The drama and histrionics in this thread are absolutely hilarious. And, yes, people are being totally and deliberately obtuse.

Food trucks are NOT BEING BANNED. Existing laws that dictate how far they must position themselves with regards to existing restaurants, and for how long, are being enforced.

Prepared foods are NOT BEING BANNED. The city has passed legislation stipulating what percentage of goods sold at a FARMERS MARKET must be sourced from a farm, as opposed to an operation solely selling prepared food. And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is only applicable if they want to use the title of FARMERS MARKET. If the organizers of the FARMERS MARKET wish to continue hosting a weekly "street food festival" they can do so. They just can't call it a FARMERS MARKET.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

This is not complicated. The JC community wants and can support restaurants AND food trucks. There's no reason that either should be excluded from the Grove St area.

JC is thriving and there are more food consumers entering the market every day. If a restaurant cannot exist in a market with food trucks, then another restaurant will step in and replace them.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

+100

If you have been on JC List for a while you can remember the whining (probably from the same people) about the lack of restaurant dining options downtown.
The loss of business from the entitled few people on this blog won't make any difference when you you consider the number of new people moving into JC.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/20 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I?d wager that most fast-food restaurant owners would prefer some minor-league spite over a mobile food court regularly setting up shop outside their doors.

Well, maybe. Some restaurants mind, some don't. Increased foot traffic for an area can be good for business.

If your restaurant is sub-par and could actually be endangered by food trucks, then yes, I could see why you'd care. But they'd be better served to improve their own service rather than try to take down others.

IMO, putting the restaurants' preferences over the consumers/community is illogical. The community should drive the services that are provided, not simply one segment of the market.

And how is it minor-league?

Quote:

For most of us, competitors in our respective fields must all play by exactly the same rules. Unfortunately for others, the ideals of fair competition and professional etiquette aren?t for everybody.

What are these same rules? Who defines what fair competition?

I'd argue that denying the food truck access to public areas of the city is unfair on the other side. And again, the community wants the food trucks, so to me, the point should be moot.

Also, food trucks operate on a different business model than restaurants, so I don't see why they should "play by exactly the same rules."

They both can co-exist in the same area and consumers can choose what they want. What is wrong with that?

As for professional etiquette, how has this been compromised? Please elaborate.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:
I got an email today from my favorite food vendor from Hamilton Park that they will no longer be there on Wednesdays because of the prepared food ban. I'm really disappointed in the short shortsightedness of the city council. Getting a prepared meal on Wednesday night at the Farmers Market was something we did as a family and thoroughly enjoyed. It by no means took away from a restaurant. We never go to a restaurant on a weekday night, but getting out to the park with the dogs, kids picking out a couple of meals to share and listening to the hustle and bustle of the Farmers Market was a really fun night. It was a very casual thing that got us all out of the house and mingling with our neighbors on a Wednesday evening. I'm sorry to find out that we won't have the same experience this summer.

Yup, it really pissed me off too. There were times when I was down there after work and spent money at the market, or the neighboring businesses including restaurants, or both. Now I won't be spending anything down there at all this summer. All those restaurants over there will never get a dollar from me anytime of day or night either now, I'll go to restaurants by Newport, Paulus Hook or in the city instead. I quit patronizing those places some months ago shortly after all this nonsense started and have never looked back.

I still support outstanding restaurants not on that list such as Razza, Me Casa, and Taqueria.

Agreed, kudos to these restaurants and more. They'll be getting a lot more love from me.

+1. Didn't Me Casa actually start out as a food truck?

Maybe. They still have a food truck, too.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
I?d wager that most fast-food restaurant owners would prefer some minor-league spite over a mobile food court regularly setting up shop outside their doors.

For most of us, competitors in our respective fields must all play by exactly the same rules. Unfortunately for others, the ideals of fair competition and professional etiquette aren?t for everybody.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 15:54

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017