Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Feds Are Now Monitoring JC's English Learning Programs - JJ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I teach ESL in an elementary school. The reading and writing portions of the ACCESS test are not easy, and I can't understand how students are testing out if they are not proficient in these subjects. There are plenty of English speaking kids who wouldn't pass ACCESS.

And what's the deal with the home language surveys? The parents of every child who registers should fill one out, and if they speak another language at home the child should be screened. Period.

It's such a shame that so many students are slipping through the cracks in JC. It's really tough for LEP kids in school, and my heart breaks for those who aren't being helped.

Thanks for sharing this. It's really interesting.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 16:16

Feds Are Now Monitoring JC's English Learning Programs - JJ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Feds are now monitoring Jersey City's English learning program

By Laura Herzog | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on March 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM, updated March 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM

(The reporter is seeking comments from parents/students with experience in these programs - Laura Herzog may be reached at lherzog@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @LauraHerzogL. Find NJ.com on Facebook)

The U.S. Department of Education is monitoring the struggling Jersey City school district's English language learning program after an extensive compliance review found that Jersey City is allegedly graduating students from the program without adequate proof of success, and inadequately communicating with parents who speak limited English.

These were among many concerns cited in a Jan. 30, 2015 letter that the U.S. Department of Education sent to Superintendent Marcia Lyles, after an Office of Civil Rights (OCR) review found "compliance concerns" with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.

More

USDOE Notification Letter

Posted on: 2015/3/25 16:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017