Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:
I got an email today from my favorite food vendor from Hamilton Park that they will no longer be there on Wednesdays because of the prepared food ban. I'm really disappointed in the short shortsightedness of the city council. Getting a prepared meal on Wednesday night at the Farmers Market was something we did as a family and thoroughly enjoyed. It by no means took away from a restaurant. We never go to a restaurant on a weekday night, but getting out to the park with the dogs, kids picking out a couple of meals to share and listening to the hustle and bustle of the Farmers Market was a really fun night. It was a very casual thing that got us all out of the house and mingling with our neighbors on a Wednesday evening. I'm sorry to find out that we won't have the same experience this summer.

Yup, it really pissed me off too. There were times when I was down there after work and spent money at the market, or the neighboring businesses including restaurants, or both. Now I won't be spending anything down there at all this summer. All those restaurants over there will never get a dollar from me anytime of day or night either now, I'll go to restaurants by Newport, Paulus Hook or in the city instead. I quit patronizing those places some months ago shortly after all this nonsense started and have never looked back.

I still support outstanding restaurants not on that list such as Razza, Me Casa, and Taqueria.

Agreed, kudos to these restaurants and more. They'll be getting a lot more love from me.

+1. Didn't Me Casa actually start out as a food truck?

Posted on: 2015/3/20 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:
I got an email today from my favorite food vendor from Hamilton Park that they will no longer be there on Wednesdays because of the prepared food ban. I'm really disappointed in the short shortsightedness of the city council. Getting a prepared meal on Wednesday night at the Farmers Market was something we did as a family and thoroughly enjoyed. It by no means took away from a restaurant. We never go to a restaurant on a weekday night, but getting out to the park with the dogs, kids picking out a couple of meals to share and listening to the hustle and bustle of the Farmers Market was a really fun night. It was a very casual thing that got us all out of the house and mingling with our neighbors on a Wednesday evening. I'm sorry to find out that we won't have the same experience this summer.

Yup, it really pissed me off too. There were times when I was down there after work and spent money at the market, or the neighboring businesses including restaurants, or both. Now I won't be spending anything down there at all this summer. All those restaurants over there will never get a dollar from me anytime of day or night either now, I'll go to restaurants by Newport, Paulus Hook or in the city instead. I quit patronizing those places some months ago shortly after all this nonsense started and have never looked back.

I still support outstanding restaurants not on that list such as Razza, Me Casa, and Taqueria.

Agreed, kudos to these restaurants and more. They'll be getting a lot more love from me.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 15:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 21:14
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
Quote:

TheWrathOfCane wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

food trucks were not banned from farmers' markets, they were not supposed to be there in the first place.

According to what regulations or documentation?

According to Chapter 175; Article II "Mobile Food Vendor" of the Jersey City Municipal Code. "No person conducting, operating or maintaining a mobile food vendor establishment, shall be permitted to sell food or drink within three hundred (300) feet of any licensed eating and drinking establishment, nor shall he or she be permitted to remain in any location for a period exceeding one hundred twenty (120) minutes during a four-hour period. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the Police Department and the Division of Health."

https://www.municode.com/library/nj/je ... 13-0812-26-2014ORNO14-018

That language doesn't address "Farmers Markets" nor was it part of chapter 175 until March 28, 2013. I wonder who pushed for that amendment.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 20:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheWrathOfCane wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

food trucks were not banned from farmers' markets, they were not supposed to be there in the first place.

According to Chapter 175; Article II "Mobile Food Vendor" of the Jersey City Municipal Code. "No person conducting, operating or maintaining a mobile food vendor establishment, shall be permitted to sell food or drink within three hundred (300) feet of any licensed eating and drinking establishment, nor shall he or she be permitted to remain in any location for a period exceeding one hundred twenty (120) minutes during a four-hour period. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the Police Department and the Division of Health."

https://www.municode.com/library/nj/je ... 13-0812-26-2014ORNO14-018

I love empanadas and food trucks - but I am hoping this brings more "farmer-y" type stuff to the neighborhood - like they have at the NYC farmers markets. Locally raised meat/dairy/eggs - fresh stuff!!

Posted on: 2015/3/18 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What's ironic about Two Boots and the other anti-food truck restaurants...

Two Boots and the other anti-food truck restaurants are free to move their restaurant to a location that doesn't already have food trucks. But they won't do that because they'll miss the current customers they enjoy from a vibrant, growing city.

The restaurants are free to move?? Are you trying to identify irony, or deliver it?

I think his point was that the food trucks were there before Two Boots moved in, and if he doesn't like the way it is, he can go rent elsewhere now (easier said than done, I know) or if he felt threatened by the competition, he could have rented somewhere else in the first place.

Bottom line, the food trucks and tables exist in Jersey City and have been here for some time, and every would-be restaurant owner knows that. They should factor that into their decision to open a restaurant and designing their menu, not complain about it after the fact. They KNEW what kind of competitive landscape existed and it was THEIR decision to open up.

Oh, and I was the one that Aaron Morrill said should move to Venezuela. I quote from his post some months back "The farmer's market completely subverts that and provides a subsidy to outside, non brick and mortar businesses by offering them below market rent. It's bad economics and definitely unfair to those of us who pay market rates. If you disagree with these tenets of a market economy, you might want to try living in Venezuela."

That has to be the most bizarre and dumbest thing I've ever seen directed at me on a message board. It certainly has driven me away from his restaurant, regardless of what effect he had on the food trucks and tables. It's like he thinks I'm not happy in the USA if I don't have access to food trucks. I'll survive. But will he if he keeps insulting people like that?

Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
I could care less about what the final outcome is, but because of the lousy attitude of the posters I hope Aaron wins. He has not put anyone down, or threatened anyone. He has his opinion and an invested one, same as the other stores. They should put the trucks in another location ( close) . And if you want to confront the store owners, go to their stores and do so. I believe that non of you will. I also believe that the trucks aren't worried as much as you are.

Aaron has done far worse than say nasty words on a message board. He has directly impacted the dining options of those who live near the Grove Street plaza and now cannot get food trucks there and wants a more limited Farmers Market.

Frankly, I would vastly prefer to have him put me down or threaten me (not like anyone threatened him) on this board if we got the food trucks back. I'm sure the food truck owners feel the same way.

And for what it's worth, he told another poster to move to Venezuela if they didn't like what he was doing so he's not the victim you portray.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
I could care less about what the final outcome is, but because of the lousy attitude of the posters I hope Aaron wins. He has not put anyone down, or threatened anyone. He has his opinion and an invested one, same as the other stores. They should put the trucks in another location ( close) . And if you want to confront the store owners, go to their stores and do so. I believe that non of you will. I also believe that the trucks aren't worried as much as you are.

I can tell you first hand they are worried about it. The city offers these licenses then selectively enforces rules when they see fit. The food truck vendors have invested money in these trucks and time and effort and then when they have a working functional setup as they did at Grove St. and Hamilton Park, that too gets the short shrift. I know they have met with city council and business groups and have had very little movement in getting anything done. It is a shame because there is more then enough mouths' to feed, I was happily eating at Grove St. Market once a week, and getting Two Boots once a week, and going to any number of other restaurants other times. Creating an environment that eliminates my choices is a bad business decision.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/18 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Two Boots and the other anti-food truck restaurants are free to move their restaurant to a location that doesn't already have food trucks. But they won't do that because they'll miss the current customers they enjoy from a vibrant, growing city.

The restaurants are free to move?? Are you trying to identify irony, or deliver it?

They're not free to move? How do you figure? Did you have a counter-point?

Many of these restaurants, including Two Boots, moved into a growing downtown area that had already supported food trucks. If they prefer to do business in an area without food trucks, they should go there before kicking out the food trucks.

The community wants both food trucks and restaurants, therefore, they should have them. It's not more complicated than that.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/18 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I had no idea this ban would extend to Hamilton Park. how very disappointing.

the food trucks are what drew me there on Wednesdays. once there, meal in hand, I would then scan the farmers' tables, and pick up a fresh this-or-that, before popping in to Smith & Chang's to look around.

now, I have no reason to head over to the Hamilton Park market.

I really think this ban is going to backfire, and not just because Two Boots will no longer get my (admittedly paltry) business. the other market vendors will be the first ones to feel the decrease in foot traffic, and that's a real shame.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What's ironic about Two Boots and the other anti-food truck restaurants is that the enjoy the foot traffic of a vibrant, growing city that is JC, however, they want to limit the competition that is also a result of the same growth. They want it both ways. And having it their way means the community loses.

Part of a having a vibrant, growing city is providing amenities that the community can enjoy. Food trucks, along with sit-down restaurants, are part of those amenities.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
so much venom ....

prepared food in parks on a regular basis? these are not big parks, there are plenty of stores and restaurants within blocks, bring your own picnic, we did.

the issue is farmers' markets vs events. food trucks can still be at events along with fizzy lizzy or any other beverage including alcohol, just not farmers' markets.

applies and oranges.

the community clearly wants prepared food in the Grove St area, so why should they be stopped?

would you be okay with a pure farmer's market on Monday and a prepared food market on Tuesdays?

Posted on: 2015/3/18 13:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Quote:

applies and oranges.

Seems a lot more like semantics.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
The new ordinance defining what a ?Farmers? Market? designation should be within the city, does not exclude others from having food trucks or prepared foods?see the definition below. SID zones, such as Grove St and Journal Square, fall under other regulations, which may preclude food trucks if that zone is to be called a ?Farmers? Market?. The differentiations are based on the definition, and separate fee structures of each event?one may be a Farmers? Market, the other considered a festival.

?C_ At least 55% of the total volume of all products available for sale must be a farm product harvested or produced within 300 miles of Jersey City?.

?FARM; PRODUCT - shall mean any agricultural horticultural, forest product, or other product of the soil or water including but not limited to, fruits, vegetables, eggs, dairy products, meat and meat products, poultry and poultry products, fish and fish products, gram and grain products, honey., nuts, _preserves^ maple sap products, apple cider, fruit juice, ornamental or vegetable plants, nursery products, flowers, firewood and Christmas trees.?

All Famers? Markets within Jersey City will have prepared foods; it?s the proportion that will that permit them to called that. As an example, Van Vorst will have 11 vendors, 3 of them farmers, but they will be over 55% of the volume in the market. We will have coffee, empanadas, flowers/plants, nuts, meats, baked goods, sauces, juices, gourmet pizza, gelato, knife sharpening, and organic face products.

The food truck issue needs to be resolved separately, and they should be supported as well.

parkman

Posted on: 2015/3/18 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
so much venom ....

prepared food in parks on a regular basis? these are not big parks, there are plenty of stores and restaurants within blocks, bring your own picnic, we did.

the issue is farmers' markets vs events. food trucks can still be at events along with fizzy lizzy or any other beverage including alcohol, just not farmers' markets.

applies and oranges.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheWrathOfCane wrote:
This is funny.

"Aaron Morrill, CEO of beverage company Fizzy Lizzy, believes that placement and location at these festivals can mean the difference between good and bad sales. Morrill and wife
Liz, the company?s founder and namesake, have showcased their all-natural, award- winning blends of fruit juice and carbonated water at both the All About Downtown Street Festival and the Hamilton Park BBQ Festival.

?For us it?s really important that we?re right where the food is,? says Morrill. ?You need to place yourself by the food trucks, where people are eating. We get great feedback when people taste the product. We rarely see anyone scrunch their faces or frown when they take a sip.

?When we do get a negative response,? he adds, ?it?s usually because the person is used to drinking soda.
?

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... dd-flavor-to-jersey-city/

This is funny alright! Mr. Morrill really does want it both ways. Would love to hear him defend himself on this one, but he probably has sworn off posting here. Why not try and get the brick-and-mortar restaurants to sell it? Because it's probably crap that people are more likely to buy on a spur of the moment, at a food truck.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 0:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
This is funny.

"Aaron Morrill, CEO of beverage company Fizzy Lizzy, believes that placement and location at these festivals can mean the difference between good and bad sales. Morrill and wife
Liz, the company?s founder and namesake, have showcased their all-natural, award- winning blends of fruit juice and carbonated water at both the All About Downtown Street Festival and the Hamilton Park BBQ Festival.

?For us it?s really important that we?re right where the food is,? says Morrill. ?You need to place yourself by the food trucks, where people are eating. We get great feedback when people taste the product. We rarely see anyone scrunch their faces or frown when they take a sip.

?When we do get a negative response,? he adds, ?it?s usually because the person is used to drinking soda.
?

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... dd-flavor-to-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2015/3/18 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The community wants prepared food at these markets. What is so hard for the city to understand about that? It's not complicated.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Shame. I seem to have missed advanced notice of it when it was coming up on the agenda.

I wouldn't have minded telling the owner of Ibby's that people don't buy his stuff because his food is average at best, his staff tends to suck and the prices are garbage. Shame that the council was dumb enough to be persuaded by this particular brand of specious, chicken little rhetoric.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I agree it's ridiculous, but as evidenced by the posts, the Two Boots owner passionately spoke before the City Council in support of the ban. While he was the spokesman, I'm sure other restaurant owners also gave public input to the City Council.

We didn't.

That's why these things happen.

Perhaps I missed it, but when was the open council meeting when this was brought up?

It was a couple of months ago. I made the same post in this thread when it happened, see here:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=361453

If you have the stomach to wade through reams of BS, my quote is taken from the middle of the Two Boots owner's point 4 in post 55. The one where he says "so long as there are tables and food trucks at Grove Plaza restauranters will be less likely to build. I know everyone loves convenience. But convenience has costs."

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I actually think this is more about maintaining the ability to call yourself a "Farmer's Market" than it is about the businesses in the vicinity of Hamilton Park not wanting the prepared food there. If you look at the list that was given out by the Two Boots guy none of the places in HP seemed to mind. In fact some of my friends that worked in the Neighborhood actually liked it because it meant more people in the neighborhood stopping in for a drink or quick bite. It's a total shame that these greedy buffoons couldn't see the big picture in the way these things work.

I don't often root for businesses to fail but Two Boots going the way of the dino's will not lead me to shed a tear. Totally ruining a nice little bonus of Downtown JC life.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I agree it's ridiculous, but as evidenced by the posts, the Two Boots owner passionately spoke before the City Council in support of the ban. While he was the spokesman, I'm sure other restaurant owners also gave public input to the City Council.

We didn't.

Perhaps I missed it, but when was the open council meeting when this was brought up?

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:

I haven't gone to those restaurants either but to be clear, not all of them support this. At least, not all the nearby restaurants are on the list posted by Two Boots.

In my opinion, the majority of restaurants on that list are of poorer quality. I still support outstanding restaurants not on that list such as Razza, Me Casa, and Taqueria.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's absolutely ridiculous. If the restaurant owners feel that they can't compete, then they should open up a food truck or get a stand at the Farmers Markets.

We didn't.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's absolutely ridiculous. If the restaurant owners feel that they can't compete, then they should open up a food truck or get a stand at the Farmers Markets.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What! I thought this was all about teh Grosve Street market.

Does this mean there will be no more pizza or empanadas in Hamilton park this summer?

This a real disgrace if true, HPNA please don't stand for this!

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/17 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is so backwards sometimes. Comparing it to downtown Brooklyn is a joke.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 13:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/1 13:25
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/17 13:31

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017