Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Architect / Structural Engineer Urgently Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
The pool would be 8ft diameter and 650 gallons about the size of the patio is probably 30ft by 12ft but I want to be safe.

I?m not familiar with our local building codes, but for what it?s worth, the 2012 International Residential code prescribes a minimum live load capacity of 40 pounds per square foot (PSF) for exterior balconies and decks. Meanwhile, the loading imposed by an 8 foot diameter, 650 gallon pool would be slightly over 100 PSF across its footprint. Given that first-cost is so crucial in residential construction, I wouldn?t expect the design to exceed the minimum requirement by a factor of 2.5x, but who knows.

Area loading is the operative concept, not just the total weight. A 30?x12? deck rated for 40 PSF could technically accommodate a total of 14,400 lbs., which is a lot heavier than 650 gallons of water (5,400 lbs.), but only if that weight is distributed across the entire deck structure.

I hope this helps, but the only way to know with any certainty is to investigate the original design criteria or hire an expert to evaluate the construction.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
Hi all.
Any recommendations on someone that can tell me if I can put an Intex above found pool on my patio. All the patios in my building are constructed with steel beams with concrete flooring and anchors to rear of building and into the ground. The pool would be 8ft diameter and 650 gallons about the size of the patio is probably 30ft by 12ft but I want to be safe. Not looking to break the bank here for a yay or neigh but have never had experience with this. Any recommendations that would be reasonable you think for this assessment would be appreciated. Thanks.

By patio, do you mean oversized balcony? The descriptions seems like that of a balcony/deck jutting out from the back of the building. A 650-gallons pool that is filled to capacity will weigh around 5,200 lbs. That's the weight of 25 to 35 adults. You should first ask yourself if you feel comfortable with that weight load. If so, you can then get a professional confirmation.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all.
Any recommendations on someone that can tell me if I can put an Intex above found pool on my patio. All the patios in my building are constructed with steel beams with concrete flooring and anchors to rear of building and into the ground. The pool would be 8ft diameter and 650 gallons about the size of the patio is probably 30ft by 12ft but I want to be safe. Not looking to break the bank here for a yay or neigh but have never had experience with this. Any recommendations that would be reasonable you think for this assessment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'll add another + for Poltmax. I needed a major structural beam installed to replace what had been a load-bearing wall. Rafal and Ziggy were SUPER. At one point I had 15 jacks (both screw type and hydraulic) on various floors of my house to hold up an estimated 70 tons of weight. Those guys were both careful and precise. I gave them keys to my house for the duration of the job, which took several weeks since the jacks had to be raised only a fraction of an inch per day in order to avoid cracking plaster on the upper floors. Considering the amount of time and equipment involved I thought their price was very fair.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 10:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
It is my understanding that Poltmax also works with commercial clients.

Again, I had a great experience with this outfit, and I share this info here simply because I know firsthand how awful working with unethical/greedy engineers/contractors can be on such projects. My motivation is that the "good guys" can get some new biz from testimonials like mine as opposed to the not-so-good guys.

We have renovated three historic homes (two in NJ, one in FL) and the experience I had with Poltmax far surpassed the others in terms of ethics and quality of work. I absolutely understand that some folks might be concerned about the engineer and contractor being from the same firm but I have no qualms after working with this team and plan to have them do some work at my parents' home next.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/4/16 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc123 wrote:
Call Poltmax.
They have been working in downtown JC for about 20 years and just completed a MAJOR structural job on a large house a few doors down from us. They came recommended by many folks in my area for a job at our house and we are very happy with the work they did (and they also had to deal with Historic Preservation office for our job).
They are fully licensed and insured and very familiar with how to properly navigate the JC Buildings Dept. The owners are Ziggie and Rafa (and a third partner whose names escapes me now but who is a structural engineer) and they can be reached at: 570-242-3083
Good luck!

Personally, I would feel better if the engineer and contractor were different and had no conflict of interest.

Posted on: 2015/4/15 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Any more feedback on Poltmax? Do they just do homes or can they handle small commercial jobs, too?

Posted on: 2015/4/15 1:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
jc123

You rock!

Posted on: 2015/3/12 16:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
Call Poltmax.
They have been working in downtown JC for about 20 years and just completed a MAJOR structural job on a large house a few doors down from us. They came recommended by many folks in my area for a job at our house and we are very happy with the work they did (and they also had to deal with Historic Preservation office for our job).
They are fully licensed and insured and very familiar with how to properly navigate the JC Buildings Dept. The owners are Ziggie and Rafa (and a third partner whose names escapes me now but who is a structural engineer) and they can be reached at: 570-242-3083
Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/3/11 2:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/10 20:46

Architect / Structural Engineer Urgently Needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Trying to urgently take care of a building violation re: unsafe facade. Can someone please recommend an Architect / Structural Engineer, preferably local to Jersey City and familiar with our Dept. of Buildings requirements.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 20:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017