Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Illegal hotels?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.skycityapts.com/

They are also all over booking.com with hundreds of reviews.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds totally illegal, but you could call up the Zoning Dept to find out how those buildings are zoned. Who knows, maybe they have some weird thing where some are classified as hotel rooms? Weird that it would be on hotels.com

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 17:19
Group:
Registered Users
I do not think they are legal. NYC is starting to sue and issue violations to landlords. and I don't think the law distinguishes between these type of rentals and AirBnB. (illegal to rent a room for less than 30 days unless the resident is present)

Here's an article... on it. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/ ... citys-worst-illegal-hotel

and I agree - it is wrong and will make apartments less available. (pretty sure most don't pay hotel tax - and prob. less in property tax if in an abated property...)

Posted on: 2015/3/3 14:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, but they're not trying to bill themselves as long term rentals. They can be booked like a normal hotel room on hotels.com, booking.com, etc. With AirBNB, you know you're staying in someone's apartment. These people are making it seem like you're in a hotel. As more and more of these pop up, the less apartments are available to be rented. This is just wrong.

I'm sure by doing this is a violation of the apartment's lease, but I guess Lefrak, etc just look the other way since they are getting their money.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
I have friends who were looking to get a hotel in the area and I did a search and I found that there are some ?hotels? in the Newport area and along the waterfront that are actually just apartments. It's not on listings like AirBNB and the like. I found them on hotels.com and other regular hotel sites. Is this legal? I'm concerned that by reducing the available apartments like this will only drive up rents.

Feel free to check it out. An example of one ?hotels? is called Sky City.

I am pretty sure there is a thread on this from some time ago. Those "hotels" operate in a pseudo gray zone. I believe they are usually rented out as short term, fully furnished apartments. Think of professionals who need to be in town, or the region, for a few weeks at a time. They are great solutions for companies who need to have executives or high level employees coming and going and for whom they want to provide housing without the cost of a hotel, and with the re-assurance of a well-appointed property that is well managed.

One local player with fairly good amount of such apartments is Furnished Quarters. This is their site: Furnished Quarters website.

Whether legal or not, I have no idea. It seems like a legit business. As for whether or not it is good for the local market, I can see how it could drive up prices in DTJC, but prices in DTJC are already super high because it is a red hot market and people are flocking here.

I am not sure what it is that people expect in terms of development and gentrification, but it seems to be "I want JC to become nicer, for more people to come, but not too nice that too many people come, and definitely not too many rich people so prices don't get out of control". With gentrification we are going to get higher property values, increased population and enhanced amenities.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Do they pay hotel taxes?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
I have friends who were looking to get a hotel in the area and I did a search and I found that there are some ?hotels? in the Newport area and along the waterfront that are actually just apartments. It's not on listings like AirBNB and the like. I found them on hotels.com and other regular hotel sites. Is this legal? I'm concerned that by reducing the available apartments like this will only drive up rents.

I am pretty sure there is a thread on this from some time ago. Those "hotels" operate in a pseudo gray zone. I believe they are usually rented out as short term, fully furnished apartments. Think of professionals who need to be in town, or the region, for a few weeks at a time. They are great solutions for companies who need to have executives or high level employees coming and going and for whom they want to provide housing without the cost of a hotel, and with the re-assurance of a well-appointed property that is well managed.

One local player with fairly good amount of such apartments is Furnished Quarters. This is their site: Furnished Quarters website.

Whether legal or not, I have no idea. It seems like a legit business. As for whether or not it is good for the local market, I can see how it could drive up prices in DTJC, but prices in DTJC are already super high because it is a red hot market and people are flocking here.

I am not sure what it is that people expect in terms of development and gentrification, but it seems to be "I want JC to become nicer, for more people to come, but not too nice that too many people come, and definitely not too many rich people so prices don't get out of control". With gentrification we are going to get higher property values, increased population and enhanced amenities.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 11:38

Illegal hotels?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/3 4:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017