Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fresh Direct
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
AlexC, I fill my freezer with FD meats when my favorite cuts are on sale. You can order cryovac for a bit more, or just rewrap at home before you freeze.

Bluehorse, I've gotten lobster and soft shell crab when they're on sale. Scallops, salmon, bluefish, flounder and sole. Once -- very early on - I got some nasty scallops. The cost was credited immediately.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:36

Re: Fresh Direct (best things to get)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the feedback. You've convinced me to give them another try.

Sillycorps, thanks for the offer, would have been great, but I don't qualify as a new user. I used FD a while back in NYC, and most of the time the milk was busted and leaking over my stuff. I got tired of complaining and stopped using them. I was hoping things are better in JC.

One more question though, what's the best thing to get at FD? I'm most curious about their seafood freshness. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, K-Lo - thanks for your response. I've never frozen stuff from Fresh Direct and would love to know if it would taste the same when thawed. I guess I'll try it one of these days.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I freeze steak. Is this unusual?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
FD is the only source I know of that carries my favorite hanger steak. And when it goes on sale, I stock up. Their meats in general are excellent.

When you mean stock up, do you freeze them? I've never tried it, usually cook it within 2-3 days at the most. They have excellent skirt steak which I would like to stock up on if it goes on sale

Posted on: 2015/3/4 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FD is the only source I know of that carries my favorite hanger steak. And when it goes on sale, I stock up. Their meats in general are excellent.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 21:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/20 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
I'll add that every Fresh Direct delivery person that has come to my door has been nothing but professional, courteous and fast. They really hustle, and although I always tip they never linger with the expectation that I will do so.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a big fan for many of the reasons already cited. However, I can't see how they can be compared to other stores, i.e., Shoprite, A&P, etc., for every day items. For that reason, I only buy fresh stuff there. Just for the heck of it, I compared one of my staples, 64 oz. Silk almond milk. Shoprite was 2.99 and FD 4.19, or a 40% difference.

Best supermarket website though.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I am a Fresh Direct disciple. I use the delivery pass and sometimes I will do several small orders in a week. I love to cook, semi-talented if I do say so myself, and I like to buy my ingredients when the cooking bug bites. Love the convenience of just logging on, double-checking ingredients of recipes against my order. Keeps me organized.

As an apartment dweller without a car, I love it. Especially in the winter when hitting the market, super or farmer's or P&K -- and now Carrino Provisions -- is not an attractive thought.

Any minor issues I've ever had (a lost box, late delivery) have been immediately resolved by their customer service dept.

And +1 for having large items delivered and schlepped up to the second floor, like water bottles, paper towels, etc.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You should definitely try it, esp with the $50 off $125 on the first 2 orders. We only order meats and scallops and they're top-notch.

They always have dry scallops, but sometimes the order is smaller than what you asked is the quality is not good enough. Last week I received just half a pound of scallops out of the 1.5 lbs I ordered. They would adjust the final bill up/down depending on the actual weight.

They have Pat LaFrieda burgers, which my kids love.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
My wife uses them. It is hard to believe, but she said her basket of goods was cheaper there than at A&P or Shoprite.
She is also a subscriber of the delivery pass.

What I find interesting is the daily quality rating.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My family have been using them for about 95% of our groceries for as long as they've been coming to Jersey City. In a nut shell we have no issues with them, the minor issues we do have are handled with excellent customer service. The 5% of stuff we get elsewhere is odds and ends or stuff we forget. It's really a top notch service.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
We've been using them weekly for about 2 years now. Love the ease of it, especially for living in an apartment and having to walk to the grocery store. I can buy stuff from them that I would never be able to carry home, like cases of water and paper towels. They were amazing when I first started using them and then they went through a little rough patch (not enough to stop using them) but they seem to be much better again. I rarely have issues with produce being bad or not what I wanted. I did recently have an issue with packaged cheese (Applegate slices) that were very obviously moldy but they corrected it. They are very good with any issues that do come up. They will give you a credit or try to get the item to you if they can. They are also good about delivering in the nasty weather that we have had too. If you have something scheduled for delivery they will still try to get it to you. I recommend them for sure.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I use them often. I love the veggies, fruit and seafood. The bakery items are meh. The meat is very good as well - I generally order organic chicken, lamb and ground beef. I haven't had a problem. Items are on par or better than Trader Joe's.

Their store brand items, particularly the bottled water (which is cheap) are very good quality.

Paper goods are priced a bit on the high side.

I always tip, especially when it's snowing and they have to schlep to my building. I tip about $10 - $20 at holiday time.

The delivery pass is $75 per year (in that range - it might have went up this year) and you get free shipping whenever you want it. I also like that you can adjust your order online up until 11pm the night before delivery.

Agree with comments on customer service - very good and responsive. They keep close tabs on delivery times. If they're going to be late, they let you know.

Definitely take Silly's offer up on the promo - you get $50 off your first two orders - no strings attached.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
I use them. Sometimes. The food is always fresh- and their customer service department has been great any time I had an issue. (a cracked container, smooshed loaf of bread...)

My problem is I get trigger happy- clicking and ordering a bunch of stuff. Then it comes and I'm like "What meal do I create with 2 avocados, some chicken salad, a tub of chocolate chip cookie dough and par-baked scones?"

Browse the website- there are some great deals and yummy finds. I always tip the guys- just cause I am a big tipper in general... Let me know what you think!

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
so far I really have enjoyed using them. I did use them a bit more when I was still in my free delivery promo but now I usually just wait till I get a coupon for free delivery

(I will PM you a code for your first order if you like - we both get some money off if you use it)

things I like -- more access to higher quality meat/fish, specialty veggies (like Asian mushrooms) and some good prices (ie organic beans 2/ $3 which beats most of the local options), great for if you are feeling a little lazy, good for meal planning (I like to make my plan and then shop so I make sure I get all the components), in season direct link to farmers (if you don't get home in time/mood for farmer market)

things I don't - packaging! everything comes in like 2 layers of plastic.... I just feel bad and wasteful, waiting on the delivery (seems like if I am running late they get there in the first 2 min of my window but if I have to run they get there in the last 5 min -- that being said 99% always in the window), some produce/fruit has been slightly less than what I would have picked (they do have ratings but I guess its easier to make that call when you see something IRL)

I don't think that I would ever be able to make them my one and only shopping but I can get away with only running to one of the product stores on newark once a week for that one off lemon or something I forgot/ ran out of

in the end I think that it is more expensive but you spend less? they portion out all the meats so instead of just buying 1 lb of cod I get 2 x 6 oz portions so while the per lb price is more I buy the right amount so now I eat "better" (portion control) and don't waste food (leftovers that never get eaten)
also no random "oh its on sale so let me buy 5" or I had a bad day might as well get a half gallon of ice cream type buys

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:14

Fresh Direct
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone here use them? How is the food quality (in particular, freshness and handling care)? In addition to the delivery fee, is tipping expected?

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 18:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017