Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Permit for water heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the clarifications, very helpful.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 2:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Also, replacing a heater in the winter falls within the definition of "emergency work" under the construction code, so the contractor can certainly replace it without filing a permit. However, a permit must be filed after doing so.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 1:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it's pretty typical but also unlawful. Btw, the first link has a brief summary of the required language that must appear in all home improvement contracts, and particularly the cancellation language, which all persons performing home improvements are subject to (this includes replacing heating appliances). The second link is to the statute itself, which spells out the different requirements. One of the subsections states that no contractor can start work until permits are pulled. This obligation has been held to be absolute--the contractor cannot require the owner to obtain permits and cannot start work until permits have been pulled. The remedies for failing to comply with the statute are not only civil but criminal, so yes contractor beware!

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/HIC/HICPoster.pdf

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/laws ... actorsRegistrationLaw.pdf

Posted on: 2015/2/19 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dinger you are making the good argument that if the contractor is liable for the violation if found and at the same time is a licensed and reputable contractor, then there are very little incentives for a homeowner to pay a fee for what is generally a simple and straightforward job - most homeowners just replace their old water heater.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 0:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is a violation of state and local code to install a hot water heater or any other gas vented appliance without filing a building permit, which your handyman failed to do as it appears he is also unlicensed. This is a serious violation of the state contractor registration requirements. There are good and valid reasons for pulling permits, especially where it concerns gas vented appliances and especially if your work was indeed performed by an unlicensed person. As far as remedies, the contractor is strictly liable for violations under the consumer fraud and contractor regs, and is liable for treble damages for any additional costs or expenses you incur related to curing any violation of the above. Incidentally, the failure to include statutory language in the written contract would also trigger CFA liability.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I've replaced water heaters in Hoboken and Jersey City, and nobody mentioned permits. I used plumbers recommended by the condo boards and management companies.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
My water heater recently died. The guy who replaced it in less than 24 hours did an excellent job and charged a fair price. He came highly recommended, so it never occurred to me to ask if he was a licensed plumber (like others have said, replacing a water heater isn't a complicated job). The idea of a permit never even entered our conversation. I don't know if one is required to replace a water heater in JC, and I don't care. It's the dead of winter and I'm not going to wait days for the dysfunctional Buildings Dept. to issue a permit so I can have hot water again. Everyone I know who has ever had a busted water heated has wanted it replaced ASAP, permits be damned.

A guy did a wonderful job for you and you want to take action against him? Remind me never to do business with you.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/18 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's your responsibility before the job begins to ask for a license and to ensure a permit is in place, if you really care about such things. To be honest, any idiot can replace a hot water heater and the chances that something is wrong with the installation are very slim. If it's really bothering you, call a licensed plumber to check out the install, and learn your lesson for next time.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Milash122 wrote:
I hired a contractor to install a new hot water heater. He did a wonderful job and I paid him. A week later I called him saying that I didn't see any inspection stickers or permit notices. It turns out he never pulled the permits for the work to be done. He said that he never pulls permits for water heaters and that when owners ask for it he tells them to find a different contractor. My problem is that I didn't find out beforehand. It turns out he is not a licensed plumber, only a licensed contractor. Is there anyway I can take action against him?

The contractor failed to disclose that they were not a licensed plumber.
I don't blame Milash for being upset.

At this point get in writing a warranty for the work - a year for example, and then move on.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Quote:

Milash122 wrote:
I hired a contractor to install a new hot water heater. He did a wonderful job...

Quote:
Is there anyway I can take action against him?

You seem nice.

+1. I was thinking the same thing. The incongruity of those two statements in the OP are mind boggling.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Milash122 wrote:
I hired a contractor to install a new hot water heater. He did a wonderful job...

Quote:
Is there anyway I can take action against him?

You seem nice.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Milash122 wrote:
I hired a contractor to install a new hot water heater. He did a wonderful job and I paid him. A week later I called him saying that I didn't see any inspection stickers or permit notices. It turns out he never pulled the permits for the work to be done. He said that he never pulls permits for water heaters and that when owners ask for it he tells them to find a different contractor. My problem is that I didn't find out beforehand. It turns out he is not a licensed plumber, only a licensed contractor. Is there anyway I can take action against him?

Even a licensed plumber will usually avoid getting a permit for a water heater, or anything else he can for that matter. I don't blame them, mostly. Dealing with Buildings is hellish, last permit inspection for me they were twice no-shows. And most contractors end up doing light plumbing & electrical as part of the job. Water heaters are not rocket science. It was not strictly by the rules and you can do what you want, but I don't see you as having a major grievance.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 22:59

Permit for water heater

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 4:42
From Elizabeth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/17 20:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017