Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Carrino Provisions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Mine turned pasty almost immediately. It was inedible.

I thought it was just me! I've bought pasta there a couple of times and even though I plunged it in boiling water for barely 90 seconds, I couldn't get it al dente. It was too mushy.

Anyway, I've been there about 8-10 times since they've opened and really wanted to like this place. The meat selection, while limited, is very good quality. However, the service is just indifferent overall. While there may be a half dozen people behind the counters, only one or two seem to be eagerly serving customers.

The final straw for me was today when I went in to buy a hunk of parmigiano reggiano - and they charged me sales tax on it. I asked the cashier why she charged sales tax on a grocery item that's not supposed to be taxed. She just shrugged and said they charge tax on all their items. I said they weren't supposed to charge sales tax on items, such as the fish, meat and cheeses, because it's not prepared food. I buy the same cheese at Whole Foods, Fairway or Trader Joe's and have NEVER been charged sales tax. I asked to speak to a manager about it, but he wasn't around. She said she would pass along my observation about the sales tax, but judging by her indifference, I doubt it.

But you must go back for two reasons:
1. Play the caper caper - see how many people you have to ask before you find someone who knows what capers are. My personal best is 3.

2. Play the Is that a Giant Provalone Game: get a seat in the Osteria where you can see the Men's room door - how long until you see a guy taking a whiz because the place is designed so poorly (see thread on apartment layouts) the urinal is in plain sight. Given that the latest suburban trend is luxury sweatpants replacing jeans, its just a matter of time before someone gets mooned.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

The final straw for me was today when I went in to buy a hunk of parmigiano reggiano - and they charged me sales tax on it. I asked the cashier why she charged sales tax on a grocery item that's not supposed to be taxed. She just shrugged and said they charge tax on all their items. I said they weren't supposed to charge sales tax on items, such as the fish, meat and cheeses, because it's not prepared food. I buy the same cheese at Whole Foods, Fairway or Trader Joe's and have NEVER been charged sales tax. I asked to speak to a manager about it, but he wasn't around. She said she would pass along my observation about the sales tax, but judging by her indifference, I doubt it.

If Carrino's doesn't care, they probably should. Pissed off consumers (and opportunists) are bringing lawsuits about this - and some are successful in changing retailer behaviors:

Shopper sues K-Mart over toilet paper tax dispute

Whole Foods accused of overcharging on sales tax

Three lawsuits over sales tax

Posted on: 2015/5/10 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

I thought it was just me! I've bought pasta there a couple of times and even though I plunged it in boiling water for barely 90 seconds, I couldn't get it al dente. It was too mushy.

Anyway, I've been there about 8-10 times since they've opened and really wanted to like this place. The meat selection, while limited, is very good quality. However, the service is just indifferent overall. While there may be a half dozen people behind the counters, only one or two seem to be eagerly serving customers.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Big Gay Ice Cream

New Yorkers Douglas Quint and Bryan Petroff are sharing their big, gay ice cream recipes on April 29 with a book signing at Carrino Provisions in Jersey City.

The two men started the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck in 2009, which blossomed into a Big Gay Ice Cream Shop that has two East Coast locations and two more slated to open. Now their debut recipe book, "Big Gay Ice Cream: Saucy Stories & Frozen Desserts," is hitting bookstores on April 28.

The book signing will run from 7 to 9 p.m. at Carrino Provisions' Erie Street

By Rebecca Panico | The Jersey Journal

Story

Posted on: 2015/4/24 23:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
Whoever made the remark about the "veneer of quality and competence" is so on point.

I complained about the greasy overcooked whole chicken I bought for $18 (the next time I came in, I didn't bring it back) I just got a shrug. Mentioned it again the next time to someone else. Same response. I also find they just don't weigh correctly. If I ask for a pound I want a pound not .85. And I'm not correcting someone more than once. I asked about one of the vegetables antipasta dishes and the guy had no clue. I asked the price of a loaf of bread and got a bewildered look, as if it was a dumb question to ask (it was $8). It just seems like there is a whole lot of not caring going on.

Which is too bad because other than the chicken the items are decent (did not try the pasta but pasta at the del cure place excellent so no need to).
I also wish they would regularly have leaner ground beef available (the standard grind is super fatty). You can request a leaner grind but you have to call a day in advance. I'm sure if they just had it out and labelled it lean it would outsell the fatty version (which is tasty, but unnecessary when I'm making tacos).

On a completely unrelated note, can't anyone open up a salad place here? it would make a killing.

I agree on the salad place, and I wish someone would open a good cheese store/sandwich shop as well. Something like Barnyard in the EV would be ideal. Those guys have a dime sized spot and they manage to turn out some of the best sandwiches and prepared foods I've ever had, and their cheese and cured meats selection is phenomenal.

I wasn't really impressed with Carrino Provisions either. I thought the space was underutilized (and dark), and the specialty items were few and repetitive. I see that it may fill a need for those who don't have access to quality meats and pasta, etc.. I'll have to try the Osteria next time.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 18:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Had lunch here when they first opened. The lobster fra diavlo panini was amazing. Came back with the family for dinner and we loved it. Then went back for lunch a few weeks later and ordered that lobster panini again...

Absolutely awful. Was served open-face, no cheese, chewy lobster and soaked in the sauce so when you picked it up, it all fell apart. I notified the server that there seems to have been a mistake as I had it as a pressed panini with cheese and sauce on the side to dip in (how they served it the first time). He agreed that it should be that way and said he'd take it back and get me the proper order. It came back exactly the same, only the bread was toasted. Then the female manager came by to ask how it was and I informed her about the first visit and she then said "oh, we changed our we do our paninis."

First off, why did the waiter agree with me that it was prepared wrong? Secondly, why would they change something that was a panini into something that no longer is?

Based on that, won't be having lunch there again. Will however return for dinner. Hopefully that hasn't declined from how good it was on my first visit...

Posted on: 2015/3/17 17:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Whoever made the remark about the "veneer of quality and competence" is so on point.

I complained about the greasy overcooked whole chicken I bought for $18 (the next time I came in, I didn't bring it back) I just got a shrug. Mentioned it again the next time to someone else. Same response. I also find they just don't weigh correctly. If I ask for a pound I want a pound not .85. And I'm not correcting someone more than once. I asked about one of the vegetables antipasta dishes and the guy had no clue. I asked the price of a loaf of bread and got a bewildered look, as if it was a dumb question to ask (it was $8). It just seems like there is a whole lot of not caring going on.

Which is too bad because other than the chicken the items are decent (did not try the pasta but pasta at the del cure place excellent so no need to).
I also wish they would regularly have leaner ground beef available (the standard grind is super fatty). You can request a leaner grind but you have to call a day in advance. I'm sure if they just had it out and labelled it lean it would outsell the fatty version (which is tasty, but unnecessary when I'm making tacos).

On a completely unrelated note, can't anyone open up a salad place here? it would make a killing.

Posted on: 2015/3/15 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
Do you folks who have issues say anything to the managers? Or just complain here? If they don't know it's happening, they can't fix it...

I had a rather long chat with a young stout fellow who I think was the manager, that's how I was comped (compted?) the second batch of pasta.

What was wrong with the pasta? I was going to pick up some pappardelle on my way home today.

For those of you who cook pasta, I love this. I also use it to make chicken stock:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_9 ... d=1426370590&rnid=1063498

Posted on: 2015/3/14 22:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
Do you folks who have issues say anything to the managers? Or just complain here? If they don't know it's happening, they can't fix it...

I had a rather long chat with a young stout fellow who I think was the manager, that's how I was comped (compted?) the second batch of pasta.

What was wrong with the pasta? I was going to pick up some pappardelle on my way home today.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/13 16:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same bacon issue before. I mentioned it to the worker there and since then the bacon has been on point. You'll notice the change in the display. It's nice to have preservative free bacon available downtown again (RIP Europa). Also, they have humanely raised beef/pork/chicken and for those of us who care this is a big deal to have accessible. This place is new and needs to work out the kinks but it's definitely a step in the right direction for dtjc.

*some prices are laughable
**i haven't tried the pasta yet.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/13 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Third dinner at Osteria last weekend -- with a large party. All of our first course plates, which we shared, were delicious. My son and I shared a pork chop special, which we saw the waitstaff tasting as we came in as they opened. Judging by the looks on their faces, we knew whatever they were eating was making them very happy. My sin and I agreed. Everyone else loved their pasta dishes.

They could use some accoustical work, but the kitchen is consistently fine.

Good to know about the Osteria - thanks for your review. The grocery is really 2nd tier, IMEO. Twice the pappardelle ruined a meal (it was free the second time because I told the guy how awful it was the first time). Perhaps they are trying to discourage consumption of bad carbs. The person cutting the cheese, in the literal sense, cut the rind off a rind-washed cheese) and then cut it parallel to the edge (there is a reason cheese is cut in wedges), the bacon was twisted so tightly that when I wanted to use it it had fallen apart into strips of fat and lean. Most if not all of the cold cuts (affettati) are American and can be found in any decent supermarket. So much of what is happening in JC has just the veneer of quality and competence, like this place. Just one man's opinion, I encourage you to try it for yourself. Personally, I've no reason to return since I pass by Citerella and WF a few times a week.

Twice now I've gone to get pasta there, and the same dude measured wrong...either out of stupidity or laziness. The first time I asked for a pound, only noticing when I got home it was 3/4. The second time, I asked for 3/4 and he started closing the bag at .59. I stopped him and he said, "ok, you want just a bit more?" Yeah, asshole, I want three-fucking-quarters!

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

The grocery is really 2nd tier, IMEO. Twice the pappardelle ruined a meal (it was free the second time because I told the guy how awful it was the first time). Perhaps they are trying to discourage consumption of bad carbs.

The fresh pasta from Pasta Dal Cuore on Jersey Ave has been delicious every time we've gotten it there. The gal who runs the place is very nice and helpful and she's a Jersey City native.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Third dinner at Osteria last weekend -- with a large party. All of our first course plates, which we shared, were delicious. My son and I shared a pork chop special, which we saw the waitstaff tasting as we came in as they opened. Judging by the looks on their faces, we knew whatever they were eating was making them very happy. My sin and I agreed. Everyone else loved their pasta dishes.

Good to know about the Osteria - thanks for your review. The grocery is really 2nd tier, IMEO. Twice the pappardelle ruined a meal (it was free the second time because I told the guy how awful it was the first time). Perhaps they are trying to discourage consumption of bad carbs. The person cutting the cheese, in the literal sense, cut the rind off a rind-washed cheese) and then cut it parallel to the edge (there is a reason cheese is cut in wedges), the bacon was twisted so tightly that when I wanted to use it it had fallen apart into strips of fat and lean. Most if not all of the cold cuts (affettati) are American and can be found in any decent supermarket. So much of what is happening in JC has just the veneer of quality and competence, like this place. Just one man's opinion, I encourage you to try it for yourself. Personally, I've no reason to return since I pass by Citerella and WF a few times a week.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/13 12:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/3/13 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
Brooklyn Vibe

more of a manhattan vibe, really.

First "bad" experience there: went back for the excellent Tiramisu I had tried a few weeks ago, walked away from it as they had trimmed the portion size by about 2/3. Was good, but not $6 for 4 bites good.

Dude at the counter knew it was not reasonable, but that's what he had been given to work with(he apologized even). Looked like he was alerting his boss that another customer walked on it when I was leaving.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Carrino Provisions Brings Brooklyn Vibe to Jersey City

Brooklyn Trio Helps Bring Italian Marketplace to the Garden State

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL - March 2, 2015 6:13 p.m. ET

Increasingly, a trip to Jersey City for a meal can feel like one has crossed the wrong river and ended up in Brooklyn.

So it is with Carrino Provisions, a new “Italian marketplace” with a coffee bar, deli counter selling meat, cheese and other items and restaurant, Osteria. A trio of Brooklyn restaurant alums—chef Dale Talde, David Massoni and John Bush of Brooklyn’s Pork Slope and Talde—joined HGTV’s “Kitchen Cousins” Anthony Carrino and John Colaneri to create the new space.

The front portion is bright and casual, designed to capture young professionals with just enough time to grab a latte or some fresh pasta for dinner. The restaurant, tucked into the back, is more dark and intimate, designed for lingering.

Read more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/carrino-p ... to-jersey-city-1425337994

Posted on: 2015/3/3 3:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Butcher there was very nice; have gotten a great steak, and some ground beef and pork so far. Noticed the new fish display tonight, had great looking scallops.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Confirmed, Spoke to Dale Talde himself today. They'll be happy to source whatever (caviar, smoked salmon), just ask a day in advance.
Their "stock" was fluke, mackerel, salmon, oysters, shrimp. They were sold out of fluke, had one piece of salmon left and 3 whole mackerel.

Posted on: 2015/2/14 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Woohoo! They've added seafood... Sole, shrimp, oysters, salmon, mackerel...

Posted on: 2015/2/14 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I was in last night, and have to agree - it's a great space that seems...underused? Maybe they're trying things out and will add more later. The meats and vegetables we tried were great, though.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
You call it "rich people problems", I call it shopping smart.

Yes, I tend to only buy meat from Whole Foods because I don't like the cheap non-organic turkey-sized "chicken breasts" from places like KeyFoods, but also don't like paying $8-$11 a pound for "organic" at those places. I have found out that every 2 or 3 weeks, Whole Foods have their chicken breast on sale for $4.49 per lb. Much more economical than Keyfoods!

I have two young kids at home, and I don't want to feed them hormone-fed meat everyday. Sure, I think it's expensive at Whole Foods, but that's something I'm willing to splurge on (and that doesn't mean I'm not on a constant lookout for good quality meat for a cheaper price).

Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Also, how does the prices compare to WHole Foods? TIA.

Talk about rich people problems.

Hey, SRhia, don't bother justifying your choices to the judgmental people on this board. For some of us, what we eat and feed our families is of paramount importance. It is ubercool to the ironic masses to make fun of those who are truly concerned about our food, and how it makes its way to us, and how much we are willing to spend to satisfy our dietary needs and/or ethical choices.

With regards to your question, I will try to be honest without being (too) negative: Carrino Provisions is "cute" and "cool" but it misses the mark as it currently stands. I tried it out two weeks ago, when it first opened. The appetizers/antipasti they sell are awesome. Well crafted, with a balanced combination of tastes and textures. I tried three different ones (shaved cauliflower, shaved brussels sprouts, and Japanese eggplant caponata) and all were great. They are a bit on the pricey side and the person filling the plastic container was stingy with how much she placed inside each container. But, overall, I would say these are good. I would gladly get some more of these to take out and bring home as a side to a nice meal. Now, where I think they miss the mark is in their overall selection of meats and other products. Their shelves are sparsely stocked, and often with fairly average products. There is nothing particularly special about canned Illy coffee, or the brands of the boxed pasta and canned San Marzano tomatoes they are selling. Their meat selection was VERY small/limited. Now, in their defense, I stopped in a few days after they had opened and maybe things have changed in the past two weeks. I think that a good butcher counter should include more choices, and higher quantities of everything. Maybe it is an unfair comparison, but I was expecting something akin to the Dickson's Farmstand outpost in Chelsea Market. It is an even smaller space than the one occupied by Carrino Provisions, but their selection and stock dwarfs that of Carrino. Their shelf products are mostly homemade items (spice blends, different types of dried pasta, gourmet condiments, etc) and their meat selections run the gamut from game to basic staples, all of them beautifully presented and their prices clearly displayed. That last point is a personal pet peeve of mine: I get the sense that some "gourmet shops" think that displaying prices next to products/merchandise is "uncool" or unnecessary, but I find the practice annoying and off putting. In any case, I think Carrino Provisions looks great, and I am excited about the concept of an upscale butcher shop peddling high end products, but I think they still need to fully grow into that idea. Others have mentioned that the owners are planning to expand their selection in the coming weeks or months. Hopefully, that will come to be. As of right now, it is a large space, with limited selections and a TON of potential.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
There's a long thread on the Talde post for Carrino...should probably be integrated here.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... c_id=33575&post_id=371474

Posted on: 2015/2/9 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I've been in a couple of times now and, although I am pleased with it overall, I wish they were a bit more of a modern and upscale version of Andrea Salumeria up on Central Avenue.

I love Andrea's. I love the whole old world feel of it, and all of the different things to choose from (the fresh mozzarella knots are to die for).

And although I realize it's impossible to recreate the feel of a business that has probably been around forever, Carrino Provisions could very well emulate the very best aspects of it.

I wish them luck, and I will likely shop there on occasion, but for my taste, the selection is a bit too sparse; meaning there is not enough there to keep me coming back on a regular basis.

That's just my two cents though.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 21:29

Carrino Provisions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Wow?very impressed with the sheer beauty of this place. I can't wait to come back and eat at the Osteria. Carrino Provisions 8 Erie Street Jersey City , NJ, 07302 973-988-2836 http://www.carrinoprovisions.com https://www.facebook.com/CarrinoProvisions

Posted on: 2015/2/8 20:54

Edited by Webmaster on 2015/2/8 21:09:28
Edited by Webmaster on 2015/2/8 21:15:26

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact