Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: DEP finally acting on aging sewerage systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I thought it meant two different types of treatment; one for storm runoff, which was mostly filtering off the trash, and the other messy one for sludge removal (being polite here) and chlorine treatment before release of liquid. The combined system can't handle it all.

Sounds logical, but I don't recall hearing any system described as such. References?

Posted on: 2015/2/4 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The article says the sewerage comes form Northern NJ and NY. If we go into debt and clean up our sewerage, the problem will still exist. NYC produces more sewerage than Northern NJ.

Well obviously we should just keep pumping sewage into our rivers and ocean then. Nothing to see here.

JC is 1/32 the size of NYC, unless NYC spends the big bucks, the environment will not get clean. Homeowners here will be stuck with higher bills and the shore will not be any cleaner.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/5 23:38
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it meant two different types of treatment; one for storm runoff, which was mostly filtering off the trash, and the other messy one for sludge removal (being polite here) and chlorine treatment before release of liquid. The combined system can't handle it all.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
In addition to being incredibly expensive, it will require digging up every street in the city. It's currently a combined system, meaning all household waste AND all street runoff all get mixed in a single pipe. It completely overwhelms the system when we get heavy rain, and many pipes are in poor condition to begin with. So, dig up all the streets and storm drains and replace one old pipe with TWO new ones (sewer and storm runoff). This was under discussion when I moved here 28 years ago...

As I said, that's now not considered a solution, the EPA would like it ALL to go to treatment, and not have all the oil, dogshit and crap from the streets end up in the river.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/5 23:38
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to being incredibly expensive, it will require digging up every street in the city. It's currently a combined system, meaning all household waste AND all street runoff all get mixed in a single pipe. It completely overwhelms the system when we get heavy rain, and many pipes are in poor condition to begin with. So, dig up all the streets and storm drains and replace one old pipe with TWO new ones (sewer and storm runoff). This was under discussion when I moved here 28 years ago...

Posted on: 2015/2/3 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The article says the sewerage comes form Northern NJ and NY. If we go into debt and clean up our sewerage, the problem will still exist. NYC produces more sewerage than Northern NJ.

I believe NYC is taking measures to improve their sewer system as well.

This is obviously long overdue. The waterways have improved so much already over the past 30 years; without significant sewage discharge, the increased improvement would be drastic.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
10 years and 100 million dollar later, the incredible due diligence and research those money funded will confirm yes the sewers are actually a problem, but sorry we dont have any money to fix them.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster is correct.. this will be a very expensive project. JC would likely have to do what other cities like Atlanta have done and build sewage storage tunnels.

[img width=300]http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatoon/cms/binary/10035985.jpg?size=620x400s[/img]

The Atlanta project his horrifically over budget, giving Atlanta one of the most expensive sewage bills in the country.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Assuming this does happen and in my lifetime, will this improve the overall flooding situation? I'm not familiar with how the system works and while it's great we're helping with the green issue of dumping into the ocean/river, I would also hope this would help drainage for flooding.

Picture the system as a bucket with a little pump shooting the water elsewhere (treatment). Pour in enough water and you're going to overflow. You only have a couple of choices, a bigger pump or a bigger bucket. Right now the system fills (the entirety of the Downtown system becomes a holding tank) till it overflows into the river (and my basement) because there's not enough capacity to store the water, or pump it to treatment. The EPA does not view splitting the system into sanitary and storm as a solution as they don't' want contaminated street runoff in the river either.

So don't hold your breath, a real solution would cost many billions, the best we can hope for is more and bigger pumps and sewers so at least we don't flood.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Assuming this does happen and in my lifetime, will this improve the overall flooding situation? I'm not familiar with how the system works and while it's great we're helping with the green issue of dumping into the ocean/river, I would also hope this would help drainage for flooding.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Well obviously we should just keep pumping sewage into our rivers and ocean then. Nothing to see here.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/3 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Show me when it's finish, not just what you want me to see or hear now!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/3 7:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

about freaking time

Posted on: 2015/2/3 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
about freaking time

Posted on: 2015/2/3 3:26

DEP finally acting on aging sewerage systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

DEP finally acting on aging sewerage systems

ASBURY PARK PRESS - Gerry P. Little     5:12 p.m. EST February 2, 2015

It was very gratifying to read that the state Department of Environmental Protection is finally taking action against North Jersey’s decaying sewage and stormwater runoff systems.

For years the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders has targeted the 100-year-old wastewater systems in cities such as Newark, Jersey City, Bayonne and Elizabeth as a leading cause of ocean beach closings and pollution problems along our coastline.

Now the DEP has recognized the problem and is taking steps to correct this threat to our environment and way of life.

In the coming weeks, the DEP will issue permits to 25 municipalities and regional sewage authorities in northern New Jersey and along the Delaware River to develop long-term plans to deal with wastewater treatment.

Together, these offending towns and authorities are responsible for dumping billions of gallons of raw, untreated sewage into the state’s rivers and bays through 217 outfall pipes.

Read more:  http://www.app.com/story/opinion/colu ... ewerage-systems/22764403/

Posted on: 2015/2/3 2:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017