Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Saving the Powerhouse Arts District remaining buildings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Is Art House losing THAT many tenants that they had to put out several fluff pieces? That building was 100% rented a few months ago...

The first year lessees are coming up for renewal at the moment. The building started renting in September 2014, with a free month promotion, so this would be the usual churn of people leaving and coming as those 13-months leases come to an end in October and November.

Judging by what I am seeing, some people are moving out and others are moving right in after a few days. The only units not moving well are the three bedroom units. Surprising (to me) given their general lack of availability in the market. I guess there really is almost no market for large rental units.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Is Art House losing THAT many tenants that they had to put out several fluff pieces? That building was 100% rented a few months ago...

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
NOVEMBER 13, 2015 LAST UPDATED: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2015, 1:21 AM
THE RECORD

For new apartment hunters Kyle and Marielena Jasey, a vibrant city setting where they could walk to restaurants, shops and other neighborhood attractions topped their priority wish list. After looking at different options in Hoboken and Jersey City, the Jaseys decided that downtown Jersey City, which has blossomed with new cultural, retail and nightlife establishments, clearly fit the bill.

"Jersey City just has this great vibe to it, and it was obvious that you get a lot more for your money here than in Hoboken," said Kyle Jasey, who works in real estate financing. "We just needed to find the right apartment."

Rejecting several options due to a lack of amenities, an inconvenient location and proximity to seemingly never-ending construction noise, the couple discovered The Art House, a new luxury rental building in the City?s Powerhouse Arts District, and knew they had found their new home.

"It was the first place we walked into where we said ?this is perfect,?" said Marielena Jasey, a professional organizer. "We loved that it was much smaller and more intimate than most of the new buildings in the area. The apartments were beautiful, and the location was great. We looked at a few other buildings after first visiting The Art House, but nothing compared to it."

More

Posted on: 2015/11/17 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it will be a true urban view... being able to look into your neighbor's and see what they are reading or watching on tv.

Quote:

Greenface wrote:
There's not much of a view currently as half the North side units look directly into the back of the Waldo lofts building on 2nd street (this really sucks for whoever bought in that building by the way). That little 50 foot wide cavern they're creating between the buildings on that block is really horrendous. I don't care what the amenities are like or how fancy the appliances are, I couldn't imagine paying 700k to live in a box with no natural light and a direct view into the back end of another building. People complain about the lack of parking and the proliferation of gigantic towers throughout the city but to me, this block is the worst example of planning/zoning gone awry.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 21:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
There's not much of a view currently as half the North side units look directly into the back of the Waldo lofts building on 2nd street (this really sucks for whoever bought in that building by the way). That little 50 foot wide cavern they're creating between the buildings on that block is really horrendous. I don't care what the amenities are like or how fancy the appliances are, I couldn't imagine paying 700k to live in a box with no natural light and a direct view into the back end of another building. People complain about the lack of parking and the proliferation of gigantic towers throughout the city but to me, this block is the worst example of planning/zoning gone awry.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
That is a lot for a studio/1 bedroom! I don't think that building has any view to speak of.

Full Story

The units on the north side of the building have a lovely view of the Shop Rite parking lot.[/quote]

There will be no view once Phase 2 of this project finishes - there will be an even taller building behind it on Second Street.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
That is a lot for a studio/1 bedroom! I don't think that building has any view to speak of.

Full Story
[/quote]

The units on the north side of the building have a lovely view of the Shop Rite parking lot.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
In a city saturated with rental properties, The Shuster Group has ended a nearly decade-long drought of new condominiums in Jersey City with the launch of The Oakman, a luxury condominium building in the historic downtown Powerhouse Arts District.

Sales are underway for the new collection of 159 luxury residences. The homes are complemented by first-class amenities and services, and a vibrant location at 160 First Street amidst the artist-inspired neighborhood?s boutiques, galleries, restaurants and convenient public transportation to Manhattan.

Designed by Fogarty Finger Architects, The Oakman features a 15-story, industrial-inspired design that respects the fabric of the Powerhouse Arts District while providing a decidedly more intimate, boutique setting when compared with the monolithic towers that dot the city?s landscape.

The Oakman?s full suite of amenities and services also belie its size, with a well-rounded lifestyle offering that blends urban sophistication with sought-after privacy. An impressive outdoor rooftop offers views of iconic New York City buildings, including the Empire State Building and One World Trade Center, and features a landscaped rooftop terrace with a pool, BBQ area, sunbathing area, outdoor shower and an adjacent entertainment room with a fireplace and lounge with a kitchen. The full-service building also provides a 24-hour concierge, fully-equipped fitness center, private residents? lounge, library and business center and artistically-inspired, sky-lit Children?s playroom. Residents will also appreciate the building?s onsite parking garage with electric vehicle charging station.

Resized Image

The Oakman?s upscale residences will redefine luxury living in Jersey City with a collection of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom residences ? including spectacular Penthouses ? featuring inspired living spaces and custom-designed finishes and appointments. Top-of-the-line kitchens boast Italian-made Pedini cabinets and appliances from prominent names such as Fisher-Paykel, KitchenAid, Bosch, Bertazzoni, Miele and Liebherr. Select homes also include balconies or private terraces. The exclusive collection of homes is currently priced from $700,000. The building has been granted a 20-year tax abatement by the City of Jersey City, which provides significant financial savings to buyers.

More

Posted on: 2015/9/24 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
New condominiums will soon join Jersey City's Powerhouse Arts District.

The Oakman, located at 160 First Street, is slated to open in the summer of 2016, George Cahn, a spokesman for the developer, The Shuster Group, told NJ Advance Media. The seven-story building will feature 159 units, starting at $700,000. Sales began this week.

Full Story

Posted on: 2015/9/17 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Provost Square is the series of towers built by Toll Brothers that starts at Morgan St and Marin Blvd. Then phase two will rise at Morgan between Provost and Warren Street. Last tower, phase three will go up on Bay Street between Provost and Marin Blvd. The rest of the hood is PAD.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Can we just drop the "Powerhouse Arts District" charade and call it South Newport already? I liked the old plan for the Powerhouse Arts District, but it's obvious it'll never be what the community wanted, only what Roseland and Kushner want.
I saw an ad for condos last week that called the neighborhood "Provost Square" so I guess that's what developers are going with now. Personally, I like "Powerhouse District" as a name even if we don't have any arts stuff there anymore.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
New condominiums will soon join Jersey City's Powerhouse Arts District.

The Oakman, located at 160 First Street, is slated to open in the summer of 2016, George Cahn, a spokesman for the developer, The Shuster Group, told NJ Advance Media. The seven-story building will feature 159 units, starting at $700,000. Sales began this week.

Full Story

Posted on: 2015/9/17 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ord. 15.049 approved on Wednesday, not Ord. 15.105

http://www.padnajc.org/juan-ribbon-ma ... -new-design-presentation/

The owner will most likely demolish or flip it.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Juan Ribbon Machine Shop (currently the home of Parlay Studios) on Provost Street that extend entire block from First to Second Street is up for demolition after planning board decided back in 2011 to not save it if owner didn't want to.

Powerhouse District Redevelopment Plan is being amended again for this lot only - they are recommending replacing building with an eleven story non-industrial looking residential mid-rise, but in turn they will restore the Belgium block stone beneath Provost Street on that block.

Please complete the following survey. Be sure to fill-in comments as to why you voted the way you did. The details are important.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LGD3PK3

Please read the documents related to this survey. They can be found at:
http://www.padnajc.org/wp-content/upl ... 015-03-17-for-council.pdf

http://www.padnajc.org/pad-redevelopm ... juan-ribbon-machine-shop/

This latest amendment to the Powerhouse Arts District Redevelopment Plan's First Reading was presented last week and passed introduction. Next week, April 22nd, the Second Reading is scheduled to occur - the public (you) has the opportunity to comment during this reading - and then city council will vote. There is no more discussion after that.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
The NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission has a law on the books, called "Demolition by Neglect". I have worked for NYC LPC, and the City (on behalf of the Agency) has brought numerous civil lawsuits against property owners for allowing their properties to deteriorate. The legal standard is to determine what aspects of the building contribute to it's architectural significance; NYC has successfully sued to compel property owners to restore their buildings to a basic 'good landmark' condition - the 2nd oldest Federal townhouse in NYC on East 4th Street, the Windermere Apartments (you've probably walked past it, on the SW corner of 9th Avenue and 57th Street).

It sounds to me like JC needs some teeth in it's Landmarks legislation. I assume the machinations of developers have prevented this over the years, but what is holding back a popular outcry from achieving something similar?

doesnt the city own this property? so it's going to sue itself?

Posted on: 2015/4/17 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
It sounds to me like JC needs some teeth in it's Landmarks legislation. I assume the machinations of developers have prevented this over the years, but what is holding back a popular outcry from achieving something similar?

Perhaps not enough people giving two shits about this...?

Posted on: 2015/4/16 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission has a law on the books, called "Demolition by Neglect". I have worked for NYC LPC, and the City (on behalf of the Agency) has brought numerous civil lawsuits against property owners for allowing their properties to deteriorate. The legal standard is to determine what aspects of the building contribute to it's architectural significance; NYC has successfully sued to compel property owners to restore their buildings to a basic 'good landmark' condition - the 2nd oldest Federal townhouse in NYC on East 4th Street, the Windermere Apartments (you've probably walked past it, on the SW corner of 9th Avenue and 57th Street).

Posted on: 2015/4/16 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any update? break ground soon?

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/1 7:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
i feel like mana contemporary already blows the PAD out of the water in terms of what it offers. Plus the Art house in in JSQ now along with hopefully some good events in the future at the Loews. Lets just relocate the PAD to the JSQ arts district and call it a day.

I'm not an expert on this stuff but it seems like designating and arts district is the best way to ensure there will never be arts there (or that the existing arts community will not be around much longer). Seems like it's more of a gimmick to sell luxury housing. So for the benefit of artists in JSQ let's hope an arts district is never designated there.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I know they are on the list, lets hope they stay on the list.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
don't forget the developer of the powerhouse, Cordish, a wolf in sheep clothing. He sold the city that he could save the powerhouse and repurpose it, he now has joined the club and wants 40 stories attached to it!! The district has become a charade.

Cordish can be a wolf, tiger, lion or sheep for all i care. They NEED to do something about that warehouse NOW before it collapses and knockout the path power transformers or worse kill someone. If it needs to be a 100 story building to make it financially feasible so be it.

Right now this skeleton is unsafe and a dump. Everytime there is bad weather like the snowstorm we barely missed it's an accident waiting to happen, not to mention all the garbage that gets blown all over the neighborhood when there is wind.

It's so ridiculous they left a garbage dump in the middle of a residential area surrounded by high density condos.

Do something! level the damn warehouse and put a grass field.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i feel like mana contemporary already blows the PAD out of the water in terms of what it offers. Plus the Art house in in JSQ now along with hopefully some good events in the future at the Loews. Lets just relocate the PAD to the JSQ arts district and call it a day.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
The buildings are being sold to the firm doing Trump, Kushner/Kabre. The yellow building is all but empty. Price close to 15 million for the two buildings. The sale hasn't closed yet, but a couple of people in the building mentioned to me that they had heard the plan was to take one building down, maybe two. I would assume if the buyers are having conversations with the city about demo, the city would sharing that with the community. We will find out soon enough.

ITEM 17 at bottom of the page
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/cityplanning/

this building is listed on:
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... ent/Department_of_Housing,_Economic_Development_and_Commerce/17%20-%20Master%20Plan%20Amendment%20Landmark%20List%202-15-11.pdf

"Terminal Distribution Warehouses of Hudson County, New Jersey, 1865-1945/ The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Warehouse Auxiliary Building and Bakery, 124-134 Bay Street/ Block 141, Lot A2 East and Lot A2 West"

These buildings were put a Landmarked List back in 2011. City Planning is unaware of any conversations of demolition.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
don't forget the developer of the powerhouse, Cordish, a wolf in sheep clothing. He sold the city that he could save the powerhouse and repurpose it, he now has joined the club and wants 40 stories attached to it!! The district has become a charade.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The buildings are being sold to the firm doing Trump, Kushner/Kabre. The yellow building is all but empty. Price close to 15 million for the two buildings. The sale hasn't closed yet, but a couple of people in the building mentioned to me that they had heard the plan was to take one building down, maybe two. I would assume if the buyers are having conversations with the city about demo, the city would sharing that with the community. We will find out soon enough.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
before i suggested the fantasy of the tate opening an outpost in jersey city, why not the smithsonian which is opening an outpost in london

http://news.yahoo.com/smithsonian-wor ... eal-london-185007401.html

Posted on: 2015/1/27 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Can we just drop the "Powerhouse Arts District" charade and call it South Newport already? I liked the old plan for the Powerhouse Arts District, but it's obvious it'll never be what the community wanted, only what Roseland and Kushner want.

Yeah the name is a farce at this point, a marketing gimmick more than reality. I know there are some artists at 150 bay but the heart of the creative community is not in that area any more. All of the JC arts events I attend are elsewhere, only exception is the open studio tours.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/27 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
With the proposal to add 40+ stories to the Powerhouse building and the prospects of 124-136 Bay Street being proposed for demolition, its time we reflect on why historic preservation is important to our neighborhoods and city. This short Teds talk says it all.

http://uli.org/videos/power-uniqueness/

Where did you hear that 124-136 Bay Street will be torn down? This is the yellow building on Warren Street between Bay and Provost Streets, and grey building just east of 140 Bay. Acadia Scenic shop has been a long time tenant.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 1:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017