Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Liberty Science Center announces $230 million expansion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop needs a hotel for the 100,000 seat racing track he wants to have built steps away from this site.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
So true Dan, so true. Steven gave the hospital the shaft and comic book collector $20,000,000 in FREE LAND!!!

Posted on: 2015/1/23 18:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently not everyone thinks science is important.

I would love to see LSC get involved with Liberty Humane Society, it could greatly benefit both. Spark some animal science interest in kids, and bring more volunteers to the shelter. Maybe a young animal educators course to teach about spaying. Even a wildlife center, get the girl and boy scouts involved.

Biology, Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Veterinary Science...a lot of good could come out of this.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I really hope that the planned "grade school" becomes a reality. Why not extend it to a high school as well? We certainly need some new high schools in Jersey City. Wouldn't it be cool if they created a math and science magnet school, similar to, say, the Bronx School of Science in NYC?

If this were to happen, I would consider staying in JC. I know many other families have moved to better school districts. Unlike many commentators here, I also saw the nonprofit, education side of this announcement. Here's a quote from Fulop's email:

"Other major cities have launched similar sci-tech and education partnerships to increase entrepreneurship and job growth. For example, Cornell NYC Tech, a plan developed by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, is under construction on Roosevelt Island, through a partnership between Cornell University and the Technion ? Israel Institute of Technology."

Posted on: 2015/1/23 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
sell the land for $20 million and use it to build or renovate schools where needed, or pay down debt.

how times have changed, a few years a go, one councilperson opposed lending LSC $2.5 in a time of need - http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_backs_giving_loan.html

All right, so our beloved mayor opposed giving them a $2.5 million loan back in 2008, when he was a councilmember.

Now he wants GIVE them $20 million worth of land. Yeah, that makes sense.

That place doesn't deserve ANYTHING from Jersey City. Yes, I hear it employs about a hundred Jersey City residents but those are mostly $10/hour jobs with little or no benefits. An earlier poster said they had improved things at LSC, but I'm not seeing what it really contributes to this city. It's very expensive to visit, it's in an isolated area so I can't imagine too many restaurants or stores in the city benefit from people visiting it, and what if this new project turns into a financial black hole (given the poor management LSC has had in the past). Will LSC want another bailout from Jersey City?

The land belongs to the Jersey City taxpayers. Sell it and do something useful with the money. Giving it to LSC is so wrong.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
sell the land for $20 million and use it to build or renovate schools where needed, or pay down debt.

how times have changed, a few years a go, one councilperson opposed lending LSC $2.5 in a time of need - http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_backs_giving_loan.html

Posted on: 2015/1/23 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
nice catch, yes, this is an old idea that hit the wall for a lot of issues, market and the treatment center being two big ones. Today's story is good spin for Steven, but far from a reality. The mayor should have shown more compassion for pricing city owned land to the hospital, instead of "plugging a hole in the budget" at the expense of the hospital and its mission!

Posted on: 2015/1/23 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I really hope that the planned "grade school" becomes a reality. Why not extend it to a high school as well? We certainly need some new high schools in Jersey City. Wouldn't it be cool if they created a math and science magnet school, similar to, say, the Bronx School of Science in NYC? We should not waste these opportunities to do so! We could actually build a public school system to be proud of. With City land growing scarce, we need to take advantage of such opportunities to create new and improved schools and create something special.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it. Once you get passed the endless self promotion of the mayor and the look at me attitude, this just doesn't make much sense. The city just a few years ago had to bail out the Science Center. Why give a marginal group free land and at the same time, hold the hospital hostage for the sale of land. The hospital is more important to the city, then the marginal science center. Steven charges the hospital 24 million for land, that the hospital needed and he give away land to the science center for nothing. Furthermore, the land he is giving to LSC has the sewerage treatment center on the property. They can't move much of that equipment. Who wants to stay in a hotel or classroom with that smell all day.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The quotes are from the JJ comments. Also if you recall there was a JCList thread on the below project years ago.

Quote:
Hey Terrance you should include some history of the land. Way back in 2006 the city put out requests for proposals for its use. It came down to two? The Liberty Hotel and Conference Center and an entertainment complex. The Hotel plan won but because of coming bad times it was never built.
Here is the JCRA link with drawing : http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=72
This is one of the JJ?s pieces on the project I couldn?t get the link but it is in the JJ archive.
(I?m not spending the $2.95 to get the whole article. You can with you big buck salary.)

Quote:

Pump station soon to share with hotel or retail complex
Author: JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Date: November 6, 2006
Publication: Jersey Journal, The (Jersey City, NJ) Page: A4
Wordcount: 455
The Jersey City Redevelopment Authority Board is expected to choose between two competing proposals - one for a hotel and the other an entertainment complex - for a nearly 10-acre tract of land adjacent to Liberty State Park.
The site, which houses a Municipal Utilities Authority pump station, is bounded by the New Jersey Turnpike extension to the north, Communipaw Avenue to the east and Philip Street to the south.
Manhattan-based Metrovest - which is turning the former Jersey...

Quote:
PS- I am all for the new project but you should also mention that the Spectra gas pipeline runs right across the JC car pound and sewage properties. I don't think it is worth 20 million any more. Just think the science hotel could tap into the gas pipeline for experiments.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Didn't the Liberty Science Center require a bailout from the city a few years ago?

Also, didn't Liberty Science Center, when it expanded its building some years ago, realize it couldn't afford the higher monthly utility bills on the bigger space?

So now they're making a $ 230 million expansion, that makes sense.

Well, as they say in Wall Street, past performance is not a guarantee of future results. In the past, LSC was not very well run, and it did require a bailout and I (sort of) remember their Charity Navigator rating not being very good, but they have since changed leadership and implemented programs and savings to address the systemic problems (for example, the new CEO is making ~63K, compared to the previous one that was pulling ~274K, a difference of over 211K) so I think maybe they are worthy of some additional support to help them turn around their operation. Their latest Charity Navigator rating is really good. You can see it here: LSC Charity Navigator Profile.

As for concerns about LHS, it looks like their "shack" will be spared and that this new campus project would build around it. As long as precautions are taken to preserve LHS, or financial support is provided to help them relocate to a bigger and better space, I think that should not be a concern. The truth is that LHS could possibly benefit from additional foot traffic in the area that could result in financial support, or additional adoption interest. They have outgrown their space and need more desperately. They are truly doing a small miracle with what they have, but much of that credit goes to the volunteers and the people who support them through donations of money, time, food and supplies.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't the Liberty Science Center require a bailout from the city a few years ago?

Also, didn't Liberty Science Center, when it expanded its building some years ago, realize it couldn't afford the higher monthly utility bills on the bigger space?

So now they're making a $ 230 million expansion, that makes sense.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this is a real estate development deal - hotel and residences .... why is the city giving away this land? for a/the school maybe yes, but the city already has STEM schools - Innovative High School and METS charter middle and high school.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Looks like LHS. I'd say f%%k that and f%%k LSC. I'd rather have LHS over LSC.

The map JCman24 posted shows LHC still around after the development. It's the square right above the new facility, at the corner.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like LHS. I'd say f%%k that and f%%k LSC. I'd rather have LHS over LSC.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Which plot of land is this going to be built on? It wasn't clear from the article. The north side of Audrey Zapp, or down by the Liberty Humane Society?

Seems to be where the sewage plant is, according to this basic rendering on the LSC blog:

Resized Image

I thought the plant was in use just based on the ever-present smell, but I seem to recall that the sewage is just pumped from there across Newark Bay to the PVSC facility.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Which plot of land is this going to be built on? It wasn't clear from the article. The north side of Audrey Zapp, or down by the Liberty Humane Society?

Posted on: 2015/1/23 2:09

Liberty Science Center announces $230 million expansion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Liberty Science Center announces $230 million expansion

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on January 22, 2015 at 8:03 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Liberty Science Center today announced a $230 million plan to build a science and technology campus, one museum officials say will launch businesses, create jobs and offer science education for local youth.

The project, dubbed SciTech Scity, is set for 16 acres of city-owned property adjacent to Liberty Science Center. Plans for the center include a technology business incubator, biotech and coding labs and a 135-room science-themed hotel and residences for 275 scientists, entrepreneurs, and college students.

Full JJ piece..

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_expan.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/1/23 1:24

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact